Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The thread got pretty bad when a goblin mode frenzy kicked off, when I'd log in to talk about my new blind playthrough of Dark Souls 2 there and see like 400 new posts of people screaming at each other, not chill. I think it has a purpose and culture worth preserving but its shape as a lightly moderated space versus anarchy is one I don't know yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
can't decide if kicking this particular ant bed while the tech forum poo poo is also going on is genius or insane, but it is funny

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It was pretty cathartic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRmfAY6qVAg

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

this is the busiest this thread has been since 2016

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

if you're wondering what we were doing in 2016, we were shaming a beautiful black man during blm for buying his mum a fitbit

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
re: tech forum ban purge

play stupid games (call the tech dude a retard who should die because he wasn't sure about using a copyrighted image for a thread vote rating), win stupid prizes

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i love it when this place just explodes for no apparent reason

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Fritz the Horse posted:

play stupid games (call the tech dude a retard who should die because he wasn't sure about using a copyrighted image for a thread vote rating), win stupid prizes

A couple of them were out of line but there were like 30 bans lol

a strange fowl posted:

i love it when this place just explodes for no apparent reason

Oh there's a reason

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Koos Group posted:

Everyone always votes against that in the feedback threads, lol.

I can vote against that here, for a change. :colbert:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've pushed for a stylesheet numerous times, it is with a heavy heart I must report that there is no real support for it

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bishyaler posted:

Plus the liberal vs leftist arguments. It was nice being able to argue without being shushed for not adhering to library rules.

This is where the value is. This is why they fear us. What if we bridged a gap!

The analytics behind the various divisions, which are often predictable but extra interesting when unpredictable, an interesting space to explore, even if linear posting isnt' a great way to do it.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Because other people and their opinions are valid you doofus

Why wouldn't you want people that disagree with you in your discussion forum unless your actual desire was an echo chamber?

it shouldn't start as an echo chamber. But if if isn't when I'm done lookout! because I'm not done.

Fritz the Horse posted:

dunno if it's what's being referenced but it was real fuckin' weird to have someone parachute in to try to own me with Discord screenshots from 2+ years ago (before I was a mod) where I mentioned I'd been sexually assaulted. that was cool.

What the gently caress is this? I don't know if I realized this happened as I imagine someone got nuked but gently caress that guy

a strange fowl posted:

this is the busiest this thread has been since 2016

Even though I've posted in D&D/USPOL forever (I had the cartoon skunk av) i found this thread intimidating with its ancient and mysterious ways.

Fritz the Horse posted:

emptyquote.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 7, 2023

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Epic High Five posted:

The thread got pretty bad when a goblin mode frenzy kicked off, when I'd log in to talk about my new blind playthrough of Dark Souls 2 there and see like 400 new posts of people screaming at each other, not chill. I think it has a purpose and culture worth preserving but its shape as a lightly moderated space versus anarchy is one I don't know yet.

the absolute highlight of this thread was when some guy posted a picture of his prematurely born baby and nutranurse called his kid ugly because it was white

it was immensely funny, unless you were that guy

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

This is where the value is. This is why they fear us. What if we bridged a gap!

The analytics behind the various divisions, which are often predictable but extra interesting when unpredictable, an interesting space to explore, even if linear posting isnt' a great way to do it.

This is some of the value I saw in the USPol thread, and why I'd like to have a political thunderdome RSF. The counterpoint, though, is that there's already that sort of thing on Twitter, so there needs to be something better about it on SA.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

the absolute highlight of this thread was when some guy posted a picture of his prematurely born baby and nutranurse called his kid ugly because it was white

you know, it was good, but i still remember the paper bag episode every now and then, to enjoy the chuckle

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm very curious about this alleged near helldumping.

There was no shortage of harassment. I'm excited about this change.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you know, it was good, but i still remember the paper bag episode every now and then, to enjoy the chuckle

Is this related to the noodle incident?

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 8, 2023

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

V. Illych L. posted:

This is exactly why these entire forums are getting to be pure loving garbage because poo poo like that isn't funny at all. I'm extremely happy about all the abusive assholes getting banned last night and I hope the trend continues until we can finally have a forum full of people who are 40 something but don't act like they're 12

There are far too many people here who think that the only funny jokes are deeply personal insults to complete strangers who don't deserve it and they never get anything more than a 6er or 1 day probe when they should just straight up be banned

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Is this related to the noodle incident?

I don't remember the precursor event, as this is soon to be like 10 years old thread-specific lore

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I’m thinking chili might be the best kind of soup there is, and I say this as a man who can and does make canh from scratch pretty often

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That sounds suspiciously like a beanless chili

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

selec posted:

I’m thinking chili might be the best kind of soup there is, and I say this as a man who can and does make canh from scratch pretty often

more of a stew :thunk:

selec
Sep 6, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That sounds suspiciously like a beanless chili

I learned from this recipe but it’s all muscle memory now

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-make-vietnamese-canh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

selec posted:

I learned from this recipe but it’s all muscle memory now

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-make-vietnamese-canh

oh the canh I've never even heard of, Latvia isn't a cradle of Vietnamese culture per se

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

what is the cccc uspol thread

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I thought I was more on top of the general state of the sa forums but apparently not

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

what is the cccc uspol thread

i think someone gassed one uspol wrong some time ago

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

how's lowtax doing since his latest break-up

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i think someone gassed one uspol wrong some time ago

oh no

that was the best possible thread on the forums

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

wait okay I understand now, it's the byob subforum cccc which I have seen before and thought was chill

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hihgly recommend the Budget Bytes lentil chili recipe

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

update: checked out the cccc thread and not sure why it was closed but I also didn't read too much of it so welcome to those from byob/cccc who have been made forums homeless

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

update: checked out the cccc thread and not sure why it was closed but I also didn't read too much of it so welcome to those from byob/cccc who have been made forums homeless

thanks, mate. cheers

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is exactly why these entire forums are getting to be pure loving garbage because poo poo like that isn't funny at all.
you had to be there

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Hihgly recommend the Budget Bytes lentil chili recipe

in general, what sites people use to grab recipes from? im following serious eats, budget bytes, and Kenji's youtube. sometimes like random spruce, epicurious, or the nyt recipes. ive heard good stuff about cooks illustrated and americas test kitchen, so maybe i should just try that. in particular the latter, since i really like serious eats older writing style where they're like "ok we tried 85 risotto episodes, and to finish this off we'll try to make the latvian risotto using only potatoes, bacon, and sour cream"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

cinci zoo sniper posted:

in general, what sites people use to grab recipes from? im following serious eats, budget bytes, and Kenji's youtube. sometimes like random spruce, epicurious, or the nyt recipes. ive heard good stuff about cooks illustrated and americas test kitchen, so maybe i should just try that. in particular the latter, since i really like serious eats older writing style where they're like "ok we tried 85 risotto episodes, and to finish this off we'll try to make the latvian risotto using only potatoes, bacon, and sour cream"

I usually just say, "Alexa, how do I make tater tots?" and follow the directions.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the broken bones of the goons with spoons wiki

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I generally just search for a good idea and build a dish off the themes I see there, I guess that's called fusion but I don't think I'm allowed to call it that when I'm trying to feed myself as cheaply as possible. I've also got 20 years experience cooking for myself and others both in and out of a commercial kitchen tho. Budget Bytes is good tho, and there are resources where you can just punch in what you have on hand already and it'll generate recipes you can make. The one I used to use isn't functional anymore but I'm sure there's others.

Keith Floyd and Grandpa Kitchen on YouTube are good, as well as any old ladies showing you how they cooked during economic hard times while chatting and telling stories

edit - more directly, you've gotta hunt far and wide until you find someone who makes poo poo consistently about how you like it, then never hope they burn out or retire. It's the modern equivalent of closely guarded church sale cookbooks containing many secret recipes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

thanks, mate. cheers

how dare u speak british to me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I usually just say, "Alexa, how do I make tater tots?" and follow the directions.

would be funny if it would repeat a slightly different recipe every time you ask it to rephrase some directions

GoutPatrol posted:

the broken bones of the goons with spoons wiki

:laffo:

Epic High Five posted:

edit - more directly, you've gotta hunt far and wide until you find someone who makes poo poo consistently about how you like it, then never hope they burn out or retire. It's the modern equivalent of closely guarded church sale cookbooks containing many secret recipes

:rip: oh well, gonna enjoy the superpower of growing up with unseasoned food and thus being able to appreciate literally anything seasoned

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just getting inspiration from recipes and winging it 99% of the time is the way to go, at least if you or anybody you're feeding aren't picky eaters. If you do have picky eaters maybe someone else can help because I've got no solution. It's hard to really gently caress up a lot of food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Harold Fjord posted:

What the gently caress is this? I don't know if I realized this happened as I imagine someone got nuked but gently caress that guy

when fizzy/catpetter caught 30 days there were a few folks who don't normally post there that followed the leper's colony entry to the cccc thread and one of them had discord screens from years ago they tried to own me with. im pretty sure my mentioning being assaulted wasn't part of them trying to own me but it was pretty o_O to see pulled out like that

it was just kinda wild to me that somebody maintains an actual goons.xls file