Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

Xabungle meets most of those qualities, but not from the direction you’re thinking

Lol Xabungle is great and good fun but definitely on the opposite end of the spectrum from what I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

What I'm looking for might not exist. And no Votoms and Dougram, please. I like both but I'm looking for something new.

I'd like a show or a manga where the protagonist pilots a mecha that isn't a super death machine. Where they're part of a crew rather than a chosen one. Where the suits are chunky Kunio Okawara style heavily military rather than spindle legs and backpack wings. Where it's a conflict between nations with messy politics that are mostly irrelevant to the experiences of the characters. Where the characters are adults rather than kids.

I don't think there's an anime out there that really covers this kind of storytelling (Voctoms excluded), so I'll take any manga recommendations where things can hopefully get some more variety. Looking for a real robot mecha war story that rejects almost all of the conventions of a genre made for 10-16 year olds is a very narrow pool.

Obsolete sounds like it hits your targets better than most, but it's just 12 episodes at 15 minutes each, and even then there are a lot of episodes that focus on things away from the main military action.

Have you seen 86? It's spider-tanks rather than walkers, and the protagonist is basically a Newtype, but he's treated as a useful part of a wider whole, rather than being the only one who matters when making a strategy.

Power Dolls mostly does what you want, with the first episode being a bit 08th MS and the second being a bit more GitS and the mechs are chunky, but it's also only two disconnected OVAs, and neither is much good. Not a recommendation.

I guess Venus Wars is sort of close, but it's fancy bikes and tanks, not mechs, and the anime's plot feels thinner compared to the manga.

That a start?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Short of writing it and drawing it myself, it's a start. Obsolete does sound cool. Kinda like that science fiction short story (I think) about how there were super alien warships that were indestructible so humans had to kill them with boarding parties.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」
Obsolete's main hook is "what if Scopedog frames became literally dirt-cheap to everyone on Earth" and exploring how that would affect our modern world, from brushfire wars to smuggling. I dug it, I wish they'd do some more.

also that last episode is totally the far-future of that universe

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
The balls to make episode 12 of your 12 episode anime a pure shitpost

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fivemarks posted:

The balls to make episode 12 of your 12 episode anime a pure shitpost

But I already said I'd talk about 08th MS Team in the Gundam thread.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Short of writing it and drawing it myself, it's a start. Obsolete does sound cool. Kinda like that science fiction short story (I think) about how there were super alien warships that were indestructible so humans had to kill them with boarding parties.

Some of the Gundam manga might work too, if written stuff is fine. There's a manga of Rise From the Ashes, a game where you play as an ordinary GM team, and the game is what you're looking for, even if the manga loses some of it.

Basically, the White Dingos are just regular joe pilots, chasing Zeon out of Australia alongside other GM teams. The squad leader (and player character) is a veteran fighter pilot who got assigned a GM, his second in command is an ex-tanker (and secretly a Feddie intelligence agent), and the third pilot used to be in the band until his test scores said he was a natural MS pilot (he's voiced by Steve Blum!). All adults, all mostly capable and professional (during the game, at least), and no real exceptional qualities, except that they thwart a Zeon superweapon at the end.

If the manga is like the game, it sounds right in your strike zone.

(For other games, maybe one of the Armored Cores? In the end, you shake society, but mostly you're another merc in a customized crap-box, just trying to make a living by killing other people in their crap boxes. You can even be the least 'special' of the top aces by being the only non-cyborg in the top rankings.

Not much focus on teamwork, though.)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Another good Gundam manga to look up would be Kazuhisa Kondo's Revival of Zeon

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oh, almost forgot.

You seen "FLAG"?

I had mixed feeling on it, but it might be your kind of thing. Very, very grounded, with a lot of emphasis on the logistics of running a mech.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chiasaur11 posted:

Oh, almost forgot.

You seen "FLAG"?

I had mixed feeling on it, but it might be your kind of thing. Very, very grounded, with a lot of emphasis on the logistics of running a mech.

He actually already mentioned trying to watch FLAG and not being able to get into it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As mentioned I tried to watch flag but I had a really hard time with the CGI. The premise was neat especially with the focus on wartime photography and it's one of the few mecha shows I saw that tried to use war on terror imagery for its aesthetic. Garasaki was more Gulf War but a similar enough vibe.

EDIT:

I gave the first episode of Obsolete a watch. First of all I'm surprised that it even got a dub. It's a passable dub but it's there. Also apparently it's a Gen Urobuchi joint.

Episode was pretty decent. I think that being 13 minutes long works to its advantage because it feels like the kind of story that works better in a bite sized format. Little episodic things. The mechs look good, the animation is... fine. I'll keep going, it's not a long investment and it does tick a fair few of the boxes on my list.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 6, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
flag was really goofy and dumb despite trying to be a serious war drama.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

As mentioned I tried to watch flag but I had a really hard time with the CGI. The premise was neat especially with the focus on wartime photography and it's one of the few mecha shows I saw that tried to use war on terror imagery for its aesthetic. Garasaki was more Gulf War but a similar enough vibe.

EDIT:

I gave the first episode of Obsolete a watch. First of all I'm surprised that it even got a dub. It's a passable dub but it's there. Also apparently it's a Gen Urobuchi joint.

Episode was pretty decent. I think that being 13 minutes long works to its advantage because it feels like the kind of story that works better in a bite sized format. Little episodic things. The mechs look good, the animation is... fine. I'll keep going, it's not a long investment and it does tick a fair few of the boxes on my list.

First episode was the worst, in my opinion, so I think you'll have a good time.

For FLAG

The ending was the worst part, I thought. Not that any of it was great, but it had a downer ending it didn't even begin to earn.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

What I'm looking for might not exist. And no Votoms and Dougram, please. I like both but I'm looking for something new.

I'd like a show or a manga where the protagonist pilots a mecha that isn't a super death machine. Where they're part of a crew rather than a chosen one. Where the suits are chunky Kunio Okawara style heavily military rather than spindle legs and backpack wings. Where it's a conflict between nations with messy politics that are mostly irrelevant to the experiences of the characters. Where the characters are adults rather than kids.

I don't think there's an anime out there that really covers this kind of storytelling (Votoms excluded), so I'll take any manga recommendations where things can hopefully get some more variety. Looking for a real robot mecha war story that rejects almost all of the conventions of a genre made for 10-16 year olds is a very narrow pool.

I'd just like to point out that VOTOMs fails on several of those points too, since Chirico is very much a chosen one and he's also still a teenager at 19 years old. Which I feel is worth pointing out not because of any perceived hyprocrisy or anything, but because it means you're obviously willing to compromise on some of those points if the overall product feels atypical or hits another point particularly well. You're obviously familiar with Ryosuke Takahashi, and one or two of his other works like FLAG have been recommended, but most of his oeuvre probably fit the bill if you haven't seen some of them. So SPT Layzner, Gasaraki, Panzer World Galient etc. are probably worth checking out. I'd think shows like The Big O, Outlaw Star (the mechs in question are spaceships; but spaceships with arms wielding giant axes and poo poo, so it counts) and Z.O.E. Dolores, I are probably worth checking out too if you haven't seen them. I haven't even seen the last one, but the main character is a middle aged trucker and the show is mostly about his relationship with his estranged family from what I gather, so it definitely sounds like the kind of thing you might be interested in.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The Big O rules but fails to meet OP's criteria in every way except thicc

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Watch enough mecha and youll develop the The notion that theres a mecha series youre sure exists that will satisfy a dream list of things.

Like a recent super robot show that isnt getter arc or dynazeon

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Marx Headroom posted:

The Big O rules but fails to meet OP's criteria in every way except thicc

Roger is an adult at 25 (that's 1 more), and the politics and nations of the setting are mostly irrelevant to him or his life (2 more). I wouldn't even say that the Big O itself is a super death machine compared to other megadeus in the setting, either (so 3 more criteria, total).

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
For Super Robots, Rumble Garandoll was 2021, and 2019 had Granbelm if you still consider that 'recent'. There's also Megaton Musashi, though I've seen nothing of that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Watch enough mecha and youll develop the The notion that theres a mecha series youre sure exists that will satisfy a dream list of things.

Like a recent super robot show that isnt getter arc or dynazeon

There usually is one show. I just remembered Ehrgeiz, for example, and that might fit Arc's criteria. Wasn't my tempo, but it's minimally involved with the setting's politics, most of the cast is adults, or at least a big chunk of them are, and the machines aren't that super.

The issue is, you only get that one show, and often are left forever hungry for more.

(I think Iron Blooded Orphans might be mine. Hits a lot of the notes I most want in these things.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's probably Patlabor for me because again, that opening scene from Patlabor 2 is something I could see spun off into an entire series.

I love Gundam but I know what I'm getting into with most Gundam shows and I set my expectations to match. It would be awesome to see more down to earth Gundam shows or games with Mechwarrior style cockpit gameplay but they're something of a rarity. So finding something that goes hard on a specific focus could really be my jam.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

tsob posted:

Roger is an adult at 25 (that's 1 more), and the politics and nations of the setting are mostly irrelevant to him or his life (2 more). I wouldn't even say that the Big O itself is a super death machine compared to other megadeus in the setting, either (so 3 more criteria, total).

Nations? There's only one city. And yeah I'd say the super robot that does this

qualifies as a "super death machine"

It's not even close to something like VOTOMS/Patlabor/08th MS. It's like recommending Spenser for Hire to someone who wanted Das Boot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Foreign powers are a huge part of S2 of Big O, regardless of whether they exist or not

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Marx Headroom posted:

Nations? There's only one city. And yeah I'd say the super robot that does this

qualifies as a "super death machine"

It's not even close to something like VOTOMS/Patlabor/08th MS. It's like recommending Spenser for Hire to someone who wanted Das Boot.

The robot that Roger has is not special because it can cause that level of destruction though, because it's just one of a multitude of identical machines that can do so and so can a whole bunch of other different Megadeus machines. And even if there's only one city, it's politics are not something that Roger is notably concerned about. In fact, he's going out of his way to be unconcerned about it as part of his code about how to negotiate and how to live knowing that he doesn't have his full/real memories.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It's probably Patlabor for me because again, that opening scene from Patlabor 2 is something I could see spun off into an entire series.

I love Gundam but I know what I'm getting into with most Gundam shows and I set my expectations to match. It would be awesome to see more down to earth Gundam shows or games with Mechwarrior style cockpit gameplay but they're something of a rarity. So finding something that goes hard on a specific focus could really be my jam.

I love Patlabor too, but I feel like loving Patlabor 2's opening scene isn't quite the same thing. Patlabor 2 is very good, don't get me wrong, but it really feels different from the rest of the series, with much less of the office comedy stuff that's Patlabor standard.

Patlabor is usually a comedy in a grounded (except for the dragons and such) mech setting, which is part of its appeal, but it sometimes switches over to just being a grounded mech series, and I can see that part of the show being more interesting to some viewers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe I should rephrase that to liking Oshii's world building talents. All of his movies brush up against this larger context that he's clearly got written down with notebook after notebook of details, so the worlds feel alive even if they only touch upon a small section of the larger setting.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
If you want realistic grounded mecha space opera just watch LOGH and pretend the space ships are humanoid

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

War and Pieces posted:

If you want realistic grounded mecha space opera just watch LOGH and pretend the space ships are humanoid

No that's just Napoleonic Era Warfare.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Justin_Brett posted:

For Super Robots, Rumble Garandoll was 2021, and 2019 had Granbelm if you still consider that 'recent'. There's also Megaton Musashi, though I've seen nothing of that.

weird otaku Idol anime with mechs, dark Magical girl anime with mechs, trite effort at a multimedia franchise, respectively.

Granbelm was probably the closest to what i want but dark magical girl was a tired premise for me the moment madoka magica launched a billion imitators.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

weird otaku Idol anime with mechs, dark Magical girl anime with mechs, trite effort at a multimedia franchise, respectively.

Granbelm was probably the closest to what i want but dark magical girl was a tired premise for me the moment madoka magica launched a billion imitators.

Super robot shows have always been efforts at multimedia franchises, it's just that instead of phone apps the other media were die-cast and soft vinyl.

Seriously though, genre labels are inherently subjective and there's no way to argue someone out of "that's not what I want". Personally from what I've seen of Granbelm I couldn't argue it's not a super robot show without disqualifying the likes of Star Driver (which is absolutely a super robot show).

As far as full-on classic super robot shows go, we can't forget Shinkalion and Shinkalion Z, aimed at kids with long runs and a movie, they seem like the biggest success of that kind of show in many years.

chiasaur11 posted:

I love Patlabor too, but I feel like loving Patlabor 2's opening scene isn't quite the same thing. Patlabor 2 is very good, don't get me wrong, but it really feels different from the rest of the series, with much less of the office comedy stuff that's Patlabor standard.

I really wish I could like Patlabor 2, but I couldn't stand it for this exact reason. I saw it with a bunch of people at my uni's anime society, knowing it by reputation, and what I got was a masterfully made film that was entirely uninterested in everything I enjoyed about Patlabor. Too good to ignore, but entirely at odds with what came before and not in a way I found compelling.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Super robot shows have always been efforts at multimedia franchises, it's just that instead of phone apps the other media were die-cast and soft vinyl.

Seriously though, genre labels are inherently subjective and there's no way to argue someone out of "that's not what I want". Personally from what I've seen of Granbelm I couldn't argue it's not a super robot show without disqualifying the likes of Star Driver (which is absolutely a super robot show).

As far as full-on classic super robot shows go, we can't forget Shinkalion and Shinkalion Z, aimed at kids with long runs and a movie, they seem like the biggest success of that kind of show in many years.

No i mean Megaton Musashi was explicitly made to be multimedia, theres a kind of focus tested sterility about it.
It wouldve released a little more briskly had it not been for covid but the game was a flop and the anime seems by the numbers. Level-5's best work this is not.

And im not arguing granbelm isnt a super robot show but it adopts a premise that i find extremely tiresome.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 8, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't realize "magical girls, but dark" was so looked down upon as a concept

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
It’s a fine concept but was very quickly run into the ground by tons of really bad anime that tried doing “magical girls, BUT SERIOUS! AND DARK AND GRITTY!” all coming out within a short time span.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

that just seems really broad, it's a genre + a tone. was there like specific repeated story conceits or common plot elements that people got tired of?

i was also rather of the impression that darker concepts and tones were always common in magical girl anime and all madoka did was make the focus more explicitly on those elements

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 8, 2023

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That's what Madoka did, but the thing about copying stuff is you can do it without understanding why people liked the first thing doing it. I think Granbelm understood why even if Madoka isn't the only thing it references, but if you're tired of that stuff in general I can get bouncing off it.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I mean there's a lot of complaints to make about "Dark magical girls" and "Magical Girls" in general, especially if we look at magical girl shows made for adult men. And a lot of those complaints and criticisms cross over with general complaints and criticisms about anime, the idol industry, and japanese pop culture and its views and attitudes of what is 'acceptable'.

Edit: its the pedophilia and the way that LGBT+ relationships are treated. Both by the fanbases themselves, but also the way industry and culture treats, say, a mangaka who got caught with a ton of child porn with a slap on the wrist while destroying the career of one who was caught with like a gram of weed.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 8, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There's a difference between (Sailor Moon spoilers) 'the main cast all die at the end of season 1 but get resurrected in the next episode' and (Madoka Magica spoilers) 'the entire show is based around the inevitable death of our protagonists, the closest thing to a good ending we have is our protagonist ascending to godhood and getting forgotten by almost everyone in order to ensure those inevitable deaths are as painless as possible, and the movies even ruin that happy ending.

It also doesn't help that for a good while after Madoka all the magical girl anime were either A) the tragical girl stuff chasing Madoka's success, or B) Precure. It gets old when you see 'what if magical girls but they all suffer and die' series several times per year.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Megaton Musashi makes a lot of weird/questionable/actively bad aesthetic/writing decisions, but it does still have a certain charm. It's a resolutely old-school super robot show with a strong sense of fun and spectacle, and that goes a long way.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

I didn't realize "magical girls, but dark" was so looked down upon as a concept

It's the evangelion thing where people who don't really care about a genre go on about a popular show fixing or ruining it despite being very open about what it's iterating and taking inspiration from.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hellioning posted:

It also doesn't help that for a good while after Madoka all the magical girl anime were either A) the tragical girl stuff chasing Madoka's success, or B) Precure. It gets old when you see 'what if magical girls but they all suffer and die' series several times per year.

But one of those shows was Symphogear, and Symphogear is the best show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh yeah, I don't want to say that all the tragical girl stuff was bad. I enjoyed Symphogear. I just prefer more traditional magical girl stuff and I wasn't really getting it aside from PreCure.