Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

MrUnderbridge posted:

I used to listen to the Jack Reacher stuff when XM had an audio book channel. It was on during my commute, and was mindless enough to pass the time.

Having grown up in a military family, I find the fact that he's a "retired MP major" and that's what gives him all his super cop/detective/spy skills to be hilarious. MPs barely count as cops. And ascribing all these amazing skills to them is even funnier.

And that's not even getting into how the writer seemed to spend a lot of time describing Reacher while typing one handed. I mean, Reacher had pecs that at one point stopped a bullet. And they picked Tom Cruise to play the guy who's supposed to be like 6'3?

The guy who they picked for the TV show fits his description reasonably well. Basically a big walking beefcake of a man.

Its actually quite a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

This is the forum where someone said explaining something is endorsing it.

It's got to be down to something like context illiteracy, you get people trying to claim The Wire is copaganda when the entire premise of the show is that modern policing is a broken system who's only goal is to put up good stats to make elected officials look better.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The 24/7/ ai-generated Seinfeld stream lasted all of six days before

https://twitter.com/watmay1/status/1622518097067511811

man who would have thought ai art mirrors the exact same terrible bullshit as most of the stem-lords who masturbate to it?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
My favorite "Monk is a wreck" episode was the one where he kept being tempted to frame this nudist who had witnessed the crime enough that he could possibly be the next victim...

... because Monk has a phobia of nudity. And Monk is inherently a selfish jerk so his first thought to get rid of the nudity who was vexing him was to frame him.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

pentyne posted:

It's got to be down to something like context illiteracy, you get people trying to claim The Wire is copaganda when the entire premise of the show is that modern policing is a broken system who's only goal is to put up good stats to make elected officials look better.

I think you can still ask that question of the Wire though, since there is sort of this idea that there is a "good" policing that the department could do if they could just get enough funding from city hall and could focus on the real work instead of the stat game and I think the reality is that it's not that simple. There's no question that the Wire is critical of police but whether or not it's as critical as it really ought to be--which I think We Own This City is almost a response to

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Friendly reminder that the Monk dvd collection is both the greatest and worst thing ever and I love / hate it:

Look at that smirk. He knows exactly what he's done.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
But why would monk trigger himself. Does each dust jacket monk exist as a separate entity, and that monk has a grievance against the rest?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Monk 7, the Monk of Mischief

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Andre Braugher got to go toe-to-toe with Hugh Laurie in House, and actually come out on top, which buys a lot of love from me. I really enjoyed that despite House's antagonism, he seems to accept Braugher's character as an equal and even as someone who knows more than House himself, for once

This also brings it back to copaganda talk, since Braugher is at the heart of David Simon's criminally (lol) underrated Homicide: Life on the Street series. Aside from being the origin of Munch from Law & Order, I remember that the show dealt with a lot of criticisms and issues in policing that The Wire would continue to explore

e: I would be ashamed if I missed this chance to bring up Yaphet Kotto, and what a powerhouse he is on screen

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

christmas boots posted:

I think you can still ask that question of the Wire though, since there is sort of this idea that there is a "good" policing that the department could do if they could just get enough funding from city hall and could focus on the real work instead of the stat game and I think the reality is that it's not that simple. There's no question that the Wire is critical of police but whether or not it's as critical as it really ought to be--which I think We Own This City is almost a response to

The season of The Wire with Hamsterdam tried to ask the question of “what if we stopped overly policing drugs”, with the conclusion that the people in charge ultimately don’t give a drat if that strategy works or not in decreasing crime and improving life for citizens, because it might affect their re-election prospects down the road and is just “wrong”.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bunnyofdoom posted:

Isn't rhe whole thing about Perry Mason is the LAPD is always arresting and charging the wrong person and Mason is always exposing the real perp for them in court?

This got me to look up "Perry Mason" and turns out there's a recent show starring Matthew Rhys?! Is it any good?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This got me to look up "Perry Mason" and turns out there's a recent show starring Matthew Rhys?! Is it any good?

Yeah, I'd say so. It's mainly one case for the full season instead of one case per episode, and it's chock full of that gritty LA noire that plants crave. Tatiana Maslany's pretty good in it too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s very amazin

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Paper Tiger posted:

Yeah, I'd say so. It's mainly one case for the full season instead of one case per episode, and it's chock full of that gritty LA noire that plants crave. Tatiana Maslany's pretty good in it too.

And literally the entire justice system is portrayed as deeply deeply flawed

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Paper Tiger posted:

There's supposed to be a new season airing sometime this year.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

muscles like this! posted:

There's supposed to be a new season airing sometime this year.

Starts March 6th!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mooseontheloose posted:

House also has a problem in that either the writers or the network didn't want House to evolve and totally nuke his relationship with Cuddy in the worst way possible.

Another House problem is a lot of the medicine is often fudged or completely fictionalized to keep the plot moving. From my own experience, the endometriosis episode and the DXM episode were purestrain bullshit, but there's an entire blog that breaks down the legitimateness of House plots.

http://www.politedissent.com/house_pd.html

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Has anyone said Cowpaganda yet

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
All Cows Are Beef

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like House was all set up to be prestige TV about a decade too early when episodic formula was still the order of the day.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like House was all set up to be prestige TV about a decade too early when episodic formula was still the order of the day.

You get this feeling entirely from the intro credits sequence and nothing else about the show

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That, the sets, which were posh and expensive-looking, and the NJ setting complete with character actors right around the same time The Sopranos was the model to chase. Also Bryan Singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aArqS8RHWT0

:911: Never forget

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

bobjr posted:

Is Jack Reacher the one where there’s a lot of description about his ridiculously big hands?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

You get this feeling entirely from the intro credits sequence and nothing else about the show

The first episode of House I saw was the season one finale, which gave me some unrealistic expectations for future episodes.

The best part of House is the episode where they have a machine that lets them watch people’s dreams on a crt, which they use exactly once.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I have seen only one House and there was a tick inside a vagina. I felt like that was enough for me.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

I AM GRANDO posted:

The first episode of House I saw was the season one finale, which gave me some unrealistic expectations for future episodes.
Such a good episode. When talking about how "prestige" House is as a series, it's important to remember it is a show from 2004 - you had HBO with its The Wire and Deadwood, but most of the rest of US TV was still more formulaic stuff like CSI:NY or Stargate Atlantis (or you had stuff like Battlestar Galactica and Lost).

It was 4 years before Breaking Bad or 7 years before GoT, for example. House has 177 episodes over 8 seasons, so it's difficult to keep the quality consistent - most modern prestige TV have between 60 and 80 episodes if they last a comparable period of time. It's similar to something like The X-Files: a good series that can still be enjoyed with a watch list; with some really incredible episodes; and more than 3 times the number of episodes than Breaking Bad.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Feb 7, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They're making a Young Dexter show about him as a child.

I think that covers all the bases for the recent discussion of shows about cop adjacent series where the protagonist steps outside the law and even a pre-emptive "not aged well" because, holy poo poo, it's Dexter.

edit: Why isn't there a :dumpster-fire: smilie?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I have seen only one House and there was a tick inside a vagina. I felt like that was enough for me.

It's more likely than you think. :shrug:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

edit: Why isn't there a :dumpster-fire: smilie?

:piss:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

That, the sets, which were posh and expensive-looking, and the NJ setting complete with character actors right around the same time The Sopranos was the model to chase. Also Bryan Singer.

Ah yeah that hallmark of prestige television all of the immitators rushed to copy: set in new jersey

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pete & Pete really was ahead of its time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

not even set in the same area of new jersey, just the fact that it's set in new jersey establishes that House MD was Prestige Television, just like Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Alaois posted:

not even set in the same area of new jersey, just the fact that it's set in new jersey establishes that House MD was Prestige Television, just like Aqua Teen Hunger Force

So that's why Kevin Smith kept being referred to as an "indie darling" decades after he made his last interesting movie.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mind the walrus posted:

That two parter in the asylum is pretty much when you can see the ratings/critical acclaim start to slide. I know I gave up on the show shortly thereafter.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I just wish I understood Lin Manuel Miranda's appeal

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

mind the walrus posted:

I just wish I understood Lin Manuel Miranda's appeal

He played House's annoying room mate in rehab in like, three episodes of House. I think House punched him or something? It was pretty fun.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

He played House's annoying room mate in rehab in like, three episodes of House. I think House punched him or something? It was pretty fun.

He is good at being immensely punchable. If all he did was play roles where he got punched he would be as universally loved as he would be universally punched.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I like Lin when he’s on podcasts being a huge nerd but he’s never made anything I liked very much.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

MokBa posted:

I like Lin when he’s on podcasts being a huge nerd but he’s never made anything I liked very much.

I really like the song You're Welcome but other than that, totally agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/PresidentToguro/status/1622709469053419529?s=20