Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1623047127042519042

oh god ticket sales must be so brutal right now lmao

Holy poo poo that is uh not good from what I understand

That letter from Torts, and most definitely NOT vetted by management, is lame too, this organization can go gently caress itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

popping in to reiterate how much I hate this loving hockey team

Reminder that they could have just bought out James Neal but ownership wanted to fake being poor to get a new arena they are not getting.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Reminder that they could have just bought out James Neal but ownership wanted to fake being poor to get a new arena they are not getting.

Shoulda gone the Daryl Katz route and flown down to an American city to discuss moving the franchise so that tax payers have to foot the bill for his $1.5bn shopping complex before buying literally the most expensive house in the history of LA and trying to silence models he harassed with money.

Oh yeah then his face melted from all the celebratory cocaine he did.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Yeah, this is the best way to build a team. Top two young centers locked up on deals at below rate for most of their twenties.

On the other hand, I love Mika/Kreider/Panarin/Trouba...but it would have been nice after last year to give long term deals to at least Kakko and Chytil. Could have maybe locked up their 20s as Chytil is now 13th in Even-Strength Goals per 60 and Kakko is the two-way possession beast he has been growing into.

Could have had Buchnevich, Kakko, and Chytil on longterm deals for like...15m total :banjo:

I mean, they didn't have the cap space to give them long deals and players also still have to agree to those deals.

I wonder if they'd still have gone all in on trouba if they somehow knew Fox would take over as the #1 D so soon

Part of why Trouba got $8 mill per is he scored 50 points for Winipeg with powerplay time, but then Fox took that over real quick.

but the whole big hitz thing is actually useful and even though he's struggling this year he kinda sets the tone for the team physically and I think they played better in the playoffs when he was up to rough stuff. It's not realyl quantifiable but I believe that the Tru Tru Train is real :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The whole "this guy is going to try to injure the other team's best player so we can win a playoff series" was gross when Stevens did it and it's gross now. At least it worked for the Devils in the early 2000s.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Good soup! posted:

Holy poo poo that is uh not good from what I understand

That letter from Torts, and most definitely NOT vetted by management, is lame too, this organization can go gently caress itself

You don’t hire Torts and expect him not to go full Torts.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

mcmagic posted:

The whole "this guy is going to try to injure the other team's best player so we can win a playoff series" was gross when Stevens did it and it's gross now. At least it worked for the Devils in the early 2000s.

Worked for Washington and St Louis.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

don't make me do The Post again. it's an inextricable part of hockey/sports, and it rules.

Levitate posted:

I mean, they didn't have the cap space to give them long deals and players also still have to agree to those deals.

I wonder if they'd still have gone all in on trouba if they somehow knew Fox would take over as the #1 D so soon

Part of why Trouba got $8 mill per is he scored 50 points for Winipeg with powerplay time, but then Fox took that over real quick.

but the whole big hitz thing is actually useful and even though he's struggling this year he kinda sets the tone for the team physically and I think they played better in the playoffs when he was up to rough stuff. It's not realyl quantifiable but I believe that the Tru Tru Train is real :colbert:

I don't think the Jake trade/contract is bad, it just turned out to be unlucky with the emergence of Fox/Miller/Lindgren/Schneider. He was a very useful player last year in the regular season and especially playoffs.

The Trocheck and Goodrow contracts...I think it prevented us from offering Kakko and Chytil some Kotkaniemi style contracts. I think we could have gotten them both done by betting long-term. I would have been less comfortable with Chytil, but Kakko I've been saying for awhile we should have locked him up.

It's more just: it's really hard to get excess value from contracts long-term when you pay people late in their 20s and wait for your kids to "prove it". I'm much more in favor of "gambling" a bit more on a semi-proven thing and using the value savings to build a deep team. I think the Devils and Sabres are currently doing this really well.

Having said that, I think we have a decent window to have a chance for the next 4-5 years while Shesterkin + Fox are in their primes, but NJ + Buffalo have a good chance to be perennial contenders for a long time because of much smarter cap management. Hopefully NJ is acting less rationally now though because it makes absolutely no sense why they didn't also lock Bratt up.

e: in other words, unless there's a bunch of things coming together at the same time, we're not going to be in the top 3 Conference favorites consistently in that window, which means that it will not be likely we win a Cup at this moment. I would think that NJ/BUF will win Cups at some point in the next 5-6 years.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 7, 2023

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

don't make me do The Post again. it's an inextricable part of hockey/sports, and it rules.

I don't think the Jake trade/contract is bad, it just turned out to be unlucky with the emergence of Fox/Miller/Lindgren/Schneider. He was a very useful player last year in the regular season and especially playoffs.

The Trocheck and Goodrow contracts...I think it prevented us from offering Kakko and Chytil some Kotkaniemi style contracts. I think we could have gotten them both done by betting long-term. I would have been less comfortable with Chytil, but Kakko I've been saying for awhile we should have locked him up.

It's more just: it's really hard to get excess value from contracts long-term when you pay people late in their 20s and wait for your kids to "prove it". I'm much more in favor of "gambling" a bit more on a semi-proven thing and using the value savings to build a deep team. I think the Devils and Sabres are currently doing this really well.

Having said that, I think we have a decent window to have a chance for the next 4-5 years while Shesterkin + Fox are in their primes, but NJ + Buffalo have a good chance to be perennial contenders for a long time because of much smarter cap management. Hopefully NJ is acting less rationally now though because it makes absolutely no sense why they didn't also lock Bratt up.

e: in other words, unless there's a bunch of things coming together at the same time, we're not going to be in the top 3 Conference favorites consistently in that window, which means that it will not be likely we win a Cup at this moment. I would think that NJ/BUF will win Cups at some point in the next 5-6 years.

As someone new to hockey and building models of the game and finding out in math how cool it is you can see rules of the game move over time. I want The Post.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

:justpost:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

don't you dare

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
That Trochek contract is really bad and proof Drury is a dummy. It's way worse than Goodrow. 6mil a year for a 3C is awful.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

mcmagic posted:

I dont mean in a "hope he injures someone!" kind of way. Big hits and physical play tend to bring up the energy of a team to some extent and I think is also somewhat important in the playoffs when the rules are looser and teams take advantage of that to push the boundaries of physical play etc. If your team doesn't have some push back on that kind of stuff then IMO it's realllllll hard to match other teams intensity in the playoffs.
I'm not advocating "teams need dumb lovely players that can only throw hits", in todays NHL all players need to be able to play at least a bit, but eschewing physical play altogether because "don't worry we're so skilled the other team will never catch us" usually falls down pretty hard in the playoffs

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

my problem with chytil is that so far in his career he has either not been up to the task of being a solid top six player (which was fine when he was younger...) or that he spends a not insignificant amount of time injured each year so far. If he could have stayed healthy last year and produced consistently then I wouldn't have been that surprised if they went with him as the two C. But...even this year, he has missed time several times so far, some of it unlucky, and some of it because he seemingly hasn't learned to protect himself.

Goodrow I think they could move even this offseason if they needed to but who knows

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

I dont mean in a "hope he injures someone!" kind of way. Big hits and physical play tend to bring up the energy of a team to some extent and I think is also somewhat important in the playoffs when the rules are looser and teams take advantage of that to push the boundaries of physical play etc. If your team doesn't have some push back on that kind of stuff then IMO it's realllllll hard to match other teams intensity in the playoffs.
I'm not advocating "teams need dumb lovely players that can only throw hits", in todays NHL all players need to be able to play at least a bit, but eschewing physical play altogether because "don't worry we're so skilled the other team will never catch us" usually falls down pretty hard in the playoffs

It’s also just a dumb equivalency because Trouba’s nastiest hit today wouldn’t even crack Steven’s top 100. Completely incomparable eras.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 8, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Chytil was ready to take over 2C and they could have signed a cheaper 3C. He's the best Rangers draft pick not named Shesterkin or Miller of the past 5 years.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I say that I hate the dumb hits trouba makes but then he plasters kadri and I can’t stop hootin and hollering.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guys whose only talent is hitting like Trouba become huge liabilities in the playoffs so it's a little self correcting.

What you need is a guy with actual talent who's also a violent rear end in a top hat. That's the ticket.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Guys whose only talent is hitting like Trouba become huge liabilities in the playoffs so it's a little self correcting.

What you need is a guy with actual talent who's also a violent rear end in a top hat. That's the ticket.

He doesn't need to do much else when Key is his partner.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
This year with 2.66 points per 60 at 5v5 Filip Chytil is New York's most productive forward...on a rate basis more than 100 minutes of 5v5 ice time.

Including this year and the 2 previous years Chytil is New York's 6th most productive forward at 5v5, 100 minutes of ice time or more.

Ahead of him are, in order - Copp, Panarin, Buch, Vatrano, and Ziba. Maybe try playing him more than 14 minutes a night.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Isentropy posted:

As someone new to hockey and building models of the game and finding out in math how cool it is you can see rules of the game move over time. I want The Post.

i hope you're not expecting some nuanced explanation of cap management theory because I'm not that smart. I just don't like the way NHL Rangers GM Chris Drury looks, or acts. But especially looks.

I think I made the last version of The Post when Evander Kane hosed up Nazem Kadri and injured him in the playoffs.

the gist of it is: there is an unfathomable amount of incentive for guys to injure other guys in the playoffs, and saying that the NHL could/should legislate that out of the game is like saying the NHL should legislate hockey sticks out of the game. it's there in all sports, but especially in hockey it's an inseparable part of the national character/belief for like half the sport's home country. if you had to describe the most important Canadian cultural stories with respect to how large parts of the country perceive themselves on like a mythological level, somewhere up there would be Bobby Clarke slashing Khalamov's ankle in the 1972 Summit Series against the Soviets and then saying "if I had never learned to lay a two-hander on once in a while, I'd have never left Flin Flon", the mass graves of Indigenous kids and coverup, and Trudeau doing blackface like a thousand times and getting re-elected.

it's never going away, but you're also not supposed to talk about it, but everyone knows it's going on and it sure is nice having Jake on the team come playoff time. I don't begrudge people even in these threads talking about it. if this weren't a message board, I'd be like 90% of the rest of the people in hockey and say "Ah yeah, jeeze, injuries, sure," and then "Anyway, gotta do Whatever It Takes to win this series boys" while we trade a game of Evander Kane for 10 games of Nazem Kadri. when you have 50 years of nationally celebrating a guy doing a home run swing on an enemy guy's ankle to win an important match, that stuff tends to be instructive.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

i hope you're not expecting some nuanced explanation of cap management theory because I'm not that smart. I just don't like the way NHL Rangers GM Chris Drury looks, or acts. But especially looks.

I think I made the last version of The Post when Evander Kane hosed up Nazem Kadri and injured him in the playoffs.

the gist of it is: there is an unfathomable amount of incentive for guys to injure other guys in the playoffs, and saying that the NHL could/should legislate that out of the game is like saying the NHL should legislate hockey sticks out of the game. it's there in all sports, but especially in hockey it's an inseparable part of the national character/belief for like half the sport's home country. if you had to describe the most important Canadian cultural stories with respect to how large parts of the country perceive themselves on like a mythological level, somewhere up there would be Bobby Clarke slashing Khalamov's ankle in the 1972 Summit Series against the Soviets and then saying "if I had never learned to lay a two-hander on once in a while, I'd have never left Flin Flon", the mass graves of Indigenous kids and coverup, and Trudeau doing blackface like a thousand times and getting re-elected.

it's never going away, but you're also not supposed to talk about it, but everyone knows it's going on and it sure is nice having Jake on the team come playoff time. I don't begrudge people even in these threads talking about it. if this weren't a message board, I'd be like 90% of the rest of the people in hockey and say "Ah yeah, jeeze, injuries, sure," and then "Anyway, gotta do Whatever It Takes to win this series boys" while we trade a game of Evander Kane for 10 games of Nazem Kadri. when you have 50 years of nationally celebrating a guy doing a home run swing on an enemy guy's ankle to win an important match, that stuff tends to be instructive.

This is the dumbest poo poo right here.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

yeah i agree hockey fans and canadians are all absolute sickos

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I don't want to be all "hey check out my CapFriendly AGM" but I put together one for the Rangers for next season just to see how bad it was, and I'll say that buying out Goodrow solves a LOT of problems.

But he's the coach's shiny play thing so they probably won't do it. :(

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Key dates in Canadian history:

March 14, 1879: Nicholas Flood Davin's Report on Industrial Schools for Indians and Half-Breeds submitted to Ottawa.
April 20, 1968: Joseph Philippe Pierre Yves Elliott Trudeau sworn in as Prime Minister of Canada.
June 22, 2012: Jacob Trouba selected 9th overall in the NHL Entry Draft by the Winnipeg Jets.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The best part of hockey is when a guy from rural Saskatchewan who reads at a grade 3 level hits another guy so hard that his brain leaks out of his nose

The second best part is when a guy does a sick dangle and goes bar down

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The best part of hockey is when a guy from rural Saskatchewan who reads at a grade 3 level hits another guy so hard that his brain leaks out of his nose

you take another few grades off that reading level and you get to be in Canadian parliament

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Key videos in Canadian hockey history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NrbjbGEbqA

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

it's never going away, but you're also not supposed to talk about it, but everyone knows it's going on and it sure is nice having Jake on the team come playoff time. I don't begrudge people even in these threads talking about it. if this weren't a message board, I'd be like 90% of the rest of the people in hockey and say "Ah yeah, jeeze, injuries, sure," and then "Anyway, gotta do Whatever It Takes to win this series boys" while we trade a game of Evander Kane for 10 games of

Nazem Kadri. when you have 50 years of nationally celebrating a guy doing a home run swing on an enemy guy's ankle to win an important match, that stuff tends to be instructive.

I'm not FF so I won't get into the history of how most of Canada has been an oligarchy so many of our owners just don't try anything ever because they win. to and mtl excepted. Everywhere else the local government will just pay them off so why not just get grinders and play the most stush hockey you can

Like no one seriously expects Alberta to not beg and grovel to Katz and (Calgary owner) and let them Enron the pension funds. ALLEGEDLY. I mean Irving rules NB like lords

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 8, 2023

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

Chytil was ready to take over 2C and they could have signed a cheaper 3C. He's the best Rangers draft pick not named Shesterkin or Miller of the past 5 years.

He wasn’t able to solidify that spot and gets injured all the time

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Levitate posted:

Yes, "physical play" is the exact same thing as being a headhunting piece of poo poo who tries to give guys concussions. No difference at all.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah I mean they never win poo poo but if he knocks out another team's best payer in the first round for the playoffs in a series they still lose in 5 games it's still BS and bad for the sport.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

What exquisite timing for this conversation as Jeff Carter delivers a cheap shot to Cale Makar's head and knocks him out of the game.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Here was the hit from the Altitude feed:
https://twitter.com/HockeyDaily365/status/1623141521645092866
edit: Makar passed concussion protocol after this hit

fermun fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 8, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Levitate posted:

He wasn’t able to solidify that spot and gets injured all the time

The spot was solidified in the playoffs where he was on fire and Drury went out and signed a mediocre Strome clone to a 12 year contract.

Players get hurt and hes been in the league since he was what, 19? Kid took some bumps, it happens. Kakko has been injured a lot too and no one calls him injury prone.

Criminally underrated even by the fan base.

E: Mika got hurt a lot too when he came to NY, no one said a thing.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 8, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I feel bad for Sid having to do another spell in the spinny chair, but on the other hand, it has been wildly entertaining watching all of RAS rush enthusiastically onto the "Actually headhunting is both cool and good" train after a flagrantly dirty elbow KO'ing the other team's best player unquestionably won their team a playoff series they would otherwise have lost in 5 games.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Also please suspend Jeff Carter forever thanks

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

I feel bad for Sid having to do another spell in the spinny chair, but on the other hand, it has been wildly entertaining watching all of RAS rush enthusiastically onto the "Actually headhunting is both cool and good" train after a flagrantly dirty elbow KO'ing the other team's best player unquestionably won their team a playoff series they would otherwise have lost in 5 games.

Show your work please. It’s equally entertaining seeing PAS twist a borderline hit into a Scott Stevens level event.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I was thinking why Wayne Gretzky has such astronomically high scoring totals. Obviously he played a lot of games and a lot of them in a high-scoring era. To make this fair, I am just looking at per game stats.

So I tried to break it down and pinpoint if there was one particular reason.

Goal scoring: Among the mishmash of ~0.6 goals/game, with Bossy and Mario pulling away from the pack.

Secondary assists: best ever, but Mario is right there and a bunch of guys are within range.

That leaves primary assists: 25% ahead of second place and 56% ahead of third place. However, there is a pretty dramatic disparity between 80s Wayne and 90s Wayne.

Primary assists in the 90s and on: Mario takes over and Wayne is tied with McDavid for 2nd. But here it comes....

Primary assists in the 80s: Absolutely ridiculous. Its hard to imagine any sports stat where 3rd and 4th overall combined are narrowly better than 1st overall.

I guess Gretzky was a good passer in the 80s was kind of a known idea, but its interesting seeing the numbers broken down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Matt Zerella posted:

Show your work please. It’s equally entertaining seeing PAS twist a borderline hit into a Scott Stevens level event.

show your loving work, Stevens was a better hitter than Trouba and also not a detriment to his team