Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BonHair posted:

Tone repair job. Also tone glue.

Nah it's all in the tone splines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Tonewood or tonebone though?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Turbinosamente posted:

How long does reticulation take?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I just want somewhere local to have an Epiphone LP Prophecy to try out. I love Les Pauls, but I want it more modern. And unless ESP has perfectly traditional bodies I'll pass. I just can't vibe with the small changes companies do like making it a little pointier.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

How long does reticulation take?

Ah. This tells me you're at least in your forties now...

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

polynominal-c posted:

early 30s and i've reticulated some splines in my life

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

syntaxfunction posted:

I just want somewhere local to have an Epiphone LP Prophecy to try out. I love Les Pauls, but I want it more modern. And unless ESP has perfectly traditional bodies I'll pass. I just can't vibe with the small changes companies do like making it a little pointier.

The headstock is a little wonky but I really wanna try one of the Sire lps.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

polynominal-c posted:

Close, 38 in a few months. But we did have to go back to the store to exchange the 3.5" copy of Sim City 2000 For Windows® because we still had DOS.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I got a cat.

Am I making her more deaf if I burn out my fuse up here alone?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I got a cat.

Am I making her more deaf if I burn out my fuse up here alone?

Does your cat have a way to get outside if your riffs suck? When I had cats they'd recognise my bandmates cars and immediately gently caress off for a few hours then come home for dinner.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

She doesn't hate them. That's what worries me. I don't want to make her def.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

She doesn't hate them. That's what worries me. I don't want to make her def.

She'll leave if she's uncomfortable

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://twitter.com/dickblimp/status/1621794806920790016

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

So I was copping some sass from the crew about grabbing all my leads in one hand and shoving them into my bag to pack up. gently caress off, I'm not rolling up leads like a common navvy, I am an artiste

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh yeah, I solved my missing XLR cable issue. No I didn't buy more, and no I didn't find the cables hiding somewhere. I realized that I can plug the male XLR ends from my TC Level Pilot directly into the subwoofer since it's right there, and use the now-spare short one to reach the monitor right next to it.

An elegant solution and I'm feeling like such a dumbass that I didn't realize that's actually what I'd been doing all along. There were never any missing cables.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Missing missing cables.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

Oh yeah, I solved my missing XLR cable issue. No I didn't buy more, and no I didn't find the cables hiding somewhere. I realized that I can plug the male XLR ends from my TC Level Pilot directly into the subwoofer since it's right there, and use the now-spare short one to reach the monitor right next to it.

An elegant solution and I'm feeling like such a dumbass that I didn't realize that's actually what I'd been doing all along. There were never any missing cables.

Shyamalan as gently caress

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Chrpno posted:

So I was copping some sass from the crew about grabbing all my leads in one hand and shoving them into my bag to pack up. gently caress off, I'm not rolling up leads like a common navvy, I am an artiste

Real musicians know how to field wrap their cables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUI5x4nuo6o

If you wrap an instrument or mic cable this way, you can grab one end and throw the other out to where you need it and it will freely unwrap straight out (without knotting) in the air before it hits the ground. Fair warning though, this is one of the most difficult "easy looking" skills you'll ever learn how to do. I've had people dog cuss me after a few minutes of not getting it with me literally guiding their hands with my hands. But after you do learn, like riding a bike, you'll never forget it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Over/Under is a big thing in AV/Rigging/Staging and other Live Sound circles. It can be surprisingly confusing to learn but once you get it you'll never unlearn it. Even fatass cables like Socapex can be done Over/Under.

Curiously, I think in more clinical and less dynamic environments like recording studios, it's not used as much. At least, the guys I interned under decades ago only ever taught me Over/Over - with an emphasis on "letting gravity take the cable" instead of forcing it to loop to your desired size. The rationale behind this is that the less you're forcing a cable to twist, the fewer kinks you're going to end up with later. Over/Under, I would guess, trades this extra bit of cable longevity for robustness.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

my understanding on over-under is that if you do it on cables that have the ground as a mesh instead of a discrete line, you'll eventually wreck em, so power cables are over-over but xlrs are over-under.

i found that out because my school taught me to only wrap things over-under and my first day on a real job entailed getting made fun of and starting to realize i didn't go to a very good school :suicide:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
SMS is on me again for trying to sing a Rise Against song at my buddy's karaoke weekly last night. I mean I usually do Swing Life Away which is a cakewalk, but since some girl went up and did Cute Without the E (literally right as I was about to request it) I wanted to do something harder, so I picked Re-Education (Through Labor). Big mistake; surprisingly I could hit most of the high screams but it absolutely shredded my voice and everything that wasn't a scream was pitchy as hell. I need to quit smoking, and focus on my higher register again, because I'm tired of only being able to hit Nine Inch Nails tunes correctly. Aside from Zen of Screaming, are there any good resources & tips to practice that kind of throaty screaming? I can yell like that all day but trying to go back and forth between that and more tender vocals doesn't quite work (unless it's NIN for some reason, I guess a slightly lower register).

The girl and her friends left in the middle of it and a buddy came up afterwards and said "no man you sounded just like that guy! Terrible!" :(

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you can nail the bridge Creep is an all-timer karaoke song.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you can nail the bridge Creep is an all-timer karaoke song.

Used to be no problem for me. I think it's actually deceptively lower than it sounds, so it might still be possible. I used to also be able to sing Hysteria by Muse. Cigarettes and beer are terrible.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

No-one but 1994 Thom Yorke should ever be singing Creep. The worst thing is perfect-toothed stage kids singing it on TV and getting all sensitive. That's the SMS

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Chrpno posted:

No-one but 1994 Thom Yorke should ever be singing Creep. The worst thing is perfect-toothed stage kids singing it on TV and getting all sensitive. That's the SMS

The Prince cover is perfection, mostly because he accurately flipped the subject and object of the song (ie what the hell are you doing here / I'm so loving special) to reflect the fact he was goddamn Prince

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Curiously, I think in more clinical and less dynamic environments like recording studios, it's not used as much.

It absolutely is. You want to deploy your cables straight and swift. Having them come out in a tangle just looks bad.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
My karaoke background/excuse isn't 'theatre kid' but it's drat close. I used to work at a summer camp where every Friday night we'd have a dance party that I'd DJ. At some point in the camp's existence the owner added karaoke gear to the setup. Most of the kids were too shy to sing so it would often be me and several other counsellors (many of whom were absolutely theatre kids) just doing most of the standard stuff like Bohemian Rhapsody as well as things that were popular at the time, like American Idiot. Sometimes the camp owner would tell me to put on Kashmir for him to sing, which in retrospect is a weird ten-minute tune to sing in front of a bunch of children, but at least I got a little break to smoke a bowl around back.

Automatic Slim posted:

It absolutely is. You want to deploy your cables straight and swift. Having them come out in a tangle just looks bad.

Fair, but anecdotally (in my very small sample size of like four engineers I worked and studied under) I was never taught Over/Under or scolded for not doing it.

We also never threw coils of cables around. We'd connect them to the patchbay, then slack out to the mic stand and place the coil underneath the stand, turning it over to take out enough slack to reach the microphone.

Kingo Ligma posted:

The Prince cover is perfection, mostly because he accurately flipped the subject and object of the song (ie what the hell are you doing here / I'm so loving special) to reflect the fact he was goddamn Prince

how have i never heard this

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Karaoke blowouts can happen to anyone. I still think about the time I loving wrecked my throat four minutes into "The Passenger" and feel great shame

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Mister Speaker posted:

how have i never heard this

Creep got ruined for me because I used it to learn barre chord technique and played it daily for a month or two back in the day and this Prince version rules

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

SMS is on me again for trying to sing a Rise Against song at my buddy's karaoke weekly last night. I mean I usually do Swing Life Away which is a cakewalk, but since some girl went up and did Cute Without the E (literally right as I was about to request it) I wanted to do something harder, so I picked Re-Education (Through Labor). Big mistake; surprisingly I could hit most of the high screams but it absolutely shredded my voice and everything that wasn't a scream was pitchy as hell. I need to quit smoking, and focus on my higher register again, because I'm tired of only being able to hit Nine Inch Nails tunes correctly. Aside from Zen of Screaming, are there any good resources & tips to practice that kind of throaty screaming? I can yell like that all day but trying to go back and forth between that and more tender vocals doesn't quite work (unless it's NIN for some reason, I guess a slightly lower register).

The girl and her friends left in the middle of it and a buddy came up afterwards and said "no man you sounded just like that guy! Terrible!" :(

Chris Leipe on YouTube

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
https://www.brixton.com/collections/fender/products/fender-jaguar-reverb-fedora-black

losing my poo poo at the official fender fedora

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

How is that not a Joe Bonamassa signature edition?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
drat they got the SRV signature hat band as an accessory too!

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I’m about to smash my thumb so hard on that “add to cart button” it might just brea

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0WpZJkcSkI
https://youtu.be/f0WpZJkcSkI

He also has a joe bonanassa watering can video.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

"ah yes, jaguar and reverb, those are two fender guitar words for a dorky hat"

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Fendora

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

With two hidden pockets for picks inside the hatband, lmao. In case some ruffians accost you and you have to shred your way out of the situation.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Kingo Ligma posted:

The Prince cover is perfection

OK I finally watched this and good lord you were not kidding. I don't want to get into it here but Prince was like the greatest to ever do it, IDC if that's homegrown SMS to say that, I'm not even a huge fan of his music but godDAMN nobody played or has played like that since his reign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Pondex posted:

In case some ruffians accost you and you have to shred your way out of the situation.

Many such cases!!