Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Rand Brittain posted:

If nothing else, very little would have been lost if all the royals started in their promoted classes and those classes went up to level 40. Alfred and Celine are the only ones you have to use for a while in their pre-promoted state; Diamant and Alcryst are ready to promote the moment you get them and the other royals are pretty much "well past the point of promoting".

I guess it might have made the class limits a little harder to understand if the royals were all exceptions?

It would have been nice too because master seals are at a severe premium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm mad at Alear because he got a 10% crit and ruined my plan to (endgame spoilers) finish Sombron with an Alear + Veyle Bond Blast :negative:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oh wow, we get heron dancing again? So cool, so borken!

Edit: wrong bird

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bruceski posted:

Oh wow, we get heron dancing again? So cool, so borken!

Edit: wrong bird

We even get Heron dance+ a regular dancer. Which can lead to some incredibly dumb poo poo.

I think with proper positioning and use of DLC Emblems you could eke out 7 full turns on a unit equipped with the Edelgard Emblem between Amyr still being busted and double dancers.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Even without edelgard the game giving you a second dance action has lead to some incredibly stupid plays from me. It's like someone looked at raging storm and said, "This is fun. What if everyone could do this and it didn't rip apart a unique qeapons durability?"

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Finished game, was good. The plot was simple and had a fair few issues but it did what it wanted to do well. I only got 5 or 6 non-Alear A ranks but even then I think the characters that I used, at least, were decently fleshed out (though I apparently managed to stumble into using 13 women and Rosado as my final team, which was kind of surprising to me.) I can understand some of the complaints (again, the plot was basic to the extreme, the game has some wonky scenes and mediocre pacing at parts, the decision to only give the villains backstory and motivations in their final scenes or penultimate scenes was a silly one, let alone what those backstory and motivations were...but ah well.

Also, I was 100% correct in that Alear's design being half red and half blue is silly. Both Past Alear and Emblem Alear look much better.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hellioning posted:

Also, I was 100% correct in that Alear's design being half red and half blue is silly. Both Past Alear and Emblem Alear look much better.

hard disagree

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Hellioning posted:

I do like Past Alear's look because the black makes the gold pop more, while it essentially disappears on the white. It's a good three-color design. I appreciate what they were doing story-wise with Emblem Alear's design, but just Fill Tool-ing red with blue (but leaving the cape) makes it obvious that that shade of blue is not meant to stand alone. It's way too bright!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Maybe it would look better if it was blue with red highlights and not exactly half their head?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'd prefer red with blue highlights personally.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it would look less stupid that way but have you considered that maybe I like that it looks stupid

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Augus posted:

it would look less stupid that way but have you considered that maybe I like that it looks stupid

I certainly can't argue against that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finished my first playthrough earlier, absolutely loved it. I could nitpick some design things and probably will at some point, and there are parts of the story that I think could've been executed better, but on the whole I had a loving great time. This game rules

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So I finally took a closer look at Timerra and... for the most scantily clad member of the cast she's alarmingly tanky, huh?

She also seems like a perfect fit for Eirika, so that's another emblem sorted.

Still putting off the emblem paralogues until I have all the rings, so I can go completely ham.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She’s there for Ike actually

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I want to use Timerra because non-armor lance infantry is really rare and cool in the series but her mediocre strength and godawful build makes her really frustrating in practice

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My Timerra was basically blessed, I guess? Just by giving her Leif to fix her build issues let her use the S-rank lance without issues and every individual hit being able to trigger Sandstorm made Quadruple Strike actually good. I certainly never had issues with her killing stuff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ROFL Octopus posted:

I want to use Timerra because non-armor lance infantry is really rare and cool in the series but her mediocre strength and godawful build makes her really frustrating in practice

On one hand a little, on the other her personal skill and personal class skill are absolutely nuts. She can absolutely go off like very few other units.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She’s there for Ike actually

Ike has been welded to the gauntlet of an axe general who's a hobby novelist. He is not available.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hellioning posted:

My Timerra was basically blessed, I guess? Just by giving her Leif to fix her build issues let her use the S-rank lance without issues and every individual hit being able to trigger Sandstorm made Quadruple Strike actually good. I certainly never had issues with her killing stuff.

Leif is a ways off from when she joins, maybe she’s a slow burn idk

Zore posted:

On one hand a little, on the other her personal skill and personal class skill are absolutely nuts. She can absolutely go off like very few other units.

Her class skill yeah absolutely but her personal skill is a -5 crit aura

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

This doesn’t matter when she keeps randomly getting sandstorm procs and hitting for +30 damage

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On Hard at least I didn't really see the appeal of Sandstorm. I had enough units who could one-round or at least reliably do a lot of damage to an enemy, so having another unit who can do that but only if her class skill procs just didn't seem worth it. I could see her being pretty good on enemy phase but really anyone with Ike is going to be great on enemy phase, especially if they can reach high enough crit rates for Vantage/Wrath (like Panette).

Maybe on Maddening when it's harder to one-round Sandstorm has more value?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

From my experience she’s just a straight upgrade to like Louis and Jade. Lower strength but she’ll double a bunch of enemies for more damage than they can dish out and thanks to Picket’s skill she’ll also frequently do way more damage on single hits.

Just an incredibly valuable unit

BigOwlGuyBMJ
Dec 13, 2022
There are some primo cheese strats and positioning that I wanna share for ch17 maddening. I have’t beaten it yet but its still fun.

1) corrin on a mystical unit does the fire spread effect in a forward aoe. The movement debuff is crucial for denying area so enemies will cofus on a target for enemy phase. Its also Incredibly useful for slowing the upper rush of units as you mop up stragglers. Combine with a dancer and you can lock down a 3x6 rectangle with slowed enemies.

2) fracture works on wyrms. Merciless procs on break. Fantastic combo for nuking the everloving poo poo out of wyrms.

3) zeph loves to target my dancer in a line. Idk why. Useful to lure her and pick her off.

4) blade weapons can be used on eirika’s engage attack to deal a lot of damage. Very useful for kill confirming.

5) dragonic hex does not proc on backup hits. Still usefull on a dagger unit with high avoid so its a free debuff.

6) Just let griss dark warp nuke. Easiest kill and you are setup to choke the top right enemies on the bridge.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I ended up getting a lot of value out of Louis as a Great Knight throughout. He struggled a bit in the mid-game but by the last map he was still taking like 3 damage max from anything without magic (or a smash weapon), and he hit like an absolute truck with Sigurd's Momentum plus a Silver Greatlance. Even in the final battle he was running up to guys, they'd hit him twice for 0 damage, and then he'd smash them flat with his lance.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mostly didn't use Louis on maddening to be a hipster proving that he's not needed. He's almost certainly a top tier unit in any class that can avoid doubles from enemy great knights and generals

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

getting doubled isn't a big deal when it just means the opponent is doing 0 damage twice

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Guess my Louis has never been that tanky. Warriors and halberdiers can do like 5-8 damage each hit which adds up when you want to drop your tank in a pack of enemies and mages will absolutely melt him.

I am only in the mid game but my armoured units have been phased out by Alfred and Timerra who get doubled way less + have respectable res so they can even bait most mages.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Harrow posted:

On Hard at least I didn't really see the appeal of Sandstorm. I had enough units who could one-round or at least reliably do a lot of damage to an enemy, so having another unit who can do that but only if her class skill procs just didn't seem worth it. I could see her being pretty good on enemy phase but really anyone with Ike is going to be great on enemy phase, especially if they can reach high enough crit rates for Vantage/Wrath (like Panette).

Maybe on Maddening when it's harder to one-round Sandstorm has more value?

On Maddening you don't really want to rely on proc skills like Sandstorm or Luna either, at least not until it's super lategame and your Dex is high enough that proccing it becomes semi-reliable. Especially not on a melee unit who can't just take potshots from afar without sacrificing damage.

Timerra's stats are fine if you beeline for chapter 13, she wouldn't be that much different from Chloe at that point, but in Picket she has a whopping 6 Bld and locked to lances which aren't that light. In a class with higher Bld base like Paladin/Wyvern or a class with lighter weapons like Wolf she fares better imo.

But the real issue is that 3/4 of Solm's prepromoted retainers have cracked stats, and while Fogado reclassed into Warrior can compete with them, a reclassed Timerra is just okay in comparison.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm actually a reasonable fan of rng strats even on maddening. You want to have enough resources to deal with the enemies you're facing reliably, but every lucky proc can leave you with a better position on the enemy phase as you need fewer units to handle the player phase

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The high-level Sages in Sigurd’s paralogue turned out to be chumps, they had high magic but low defense so I had some fun using goddess dance to give four Engaged characters a second action and was able to take the two from full health to dead in one turn lol DLC bracelets are a bit broken!

Edit: that map was weird. I lowered the bridge and like 100 reinforcements popped out and 75% of them just stood there the rest of the battle while Sigurd came to me. Actually, funny story, he moves the turn the bridge goes down but won’t move again unless he can hit one of your characters. If you give Corrin to Alear and use the flame breath you can pick off the advancing mages one by one while Sigurd stays back, because flames block his movement.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 8, 2023

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hellioning posted:

(though I apparently managed to stumble into using 13 women and Rosado as my final team, which was kind of surprising to me.)

I noticed I was doing this earlier in my run and decided that this was going to be a no boys allowed run as much as possible, and some unlucky leveling has made this a bigger handicap than I thought it would be. Speed General Lapis is pretty much carrying this team on her shoulders with her ability to handle an infinite number of physical attackers.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What’s Rosado’s deal, anyway? Is he a femboy? A non-binary cat… person?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
rosado is cute

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just beat chapter 17 on maddening just now as well, underrated skill no one talks about is Corrin's engaged attacks just do 100% freeze aoe so as long as your unit (Alear in my case) can survive a combat round, she can lockdown bosses while you deal with others.

My Kagetsu is reclassed into Wyvern Rider which pays dividend because he has 26 str now which uh...is busted for kagetsu.

100% wrath Panne definitely cleaned a lot of things alongside Dire Thunder Ivy.

I might have to switch Fogado back to Cupido because oops, I forged a brave bow and forgot literally no one on my team can use it because I used Alycrst last run and forgot he was the only A bow user.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Cythereal posted:

So I finally took a closer look at Timerra and... for the most scantily clad member of the cast she's alarmingly tanky, huh?

She also seems like a perfect fit for Eirika, so that's another emblem sorted.

Still putting off the emblem paralogues until I have all the rings, so I can go completely ham.

I like putting Eirika on a cav unit so twin attack hits like a truck.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

He's a dude that likes cute things and painting, not William Henry Hairytaint, who played a catboy in Final Fantasy XIV. It's pretty straightforward

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Rosado is Rosado. He uses he/him pronouns, wears exclusively women's clothing, and likes cute things above all else. I love him. The hair isn't based on a cat, by the way, it combines with his hair bow to create the silhouette of a wyvern head.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Tae posted:

Just beat chapter 17 on maddening just now as well, underrated skill no one talks about is Corrin's engaged attacks just do 100% freeze aoe so as long as your unit (Alear in my case) can survive a combat round, she can lockdown bosses while you deal with others.

My Kagetsu is reclassed into Wyvern Rider which pays dividend because he has 26 str now which uh...is busted for kagetsu.

100% wrath Panne definitely cleaned a lot of things alongside Dire Thunder Ivy.

I might have to switch Fogado back to Cupido because oops, I forged a brave bow and forgot literally no one on my team can use it because I used Alycrst last run and forgot he was the only A bow user.

I had Corrin on Alear too and just spammed fire when it came to the last two bosses. They both have 5 move so their minions would waddle into the flames and get picked off one by one while they could barely get through a single tile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Chain attack spam is real, this is definitely something you would never notice on Hard because everything is too squishy.