Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

$70 now is roughly what $60 was worth in 2017, I can’t say I blame Nintendo when the price of everything else is hosed. Even if rising prices are due to corporate price gouging more than actual inflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Khanstant posted:

feels hosed up to pay 70 dollars for a game, 60 was already a stretch. they barely give you anything for it too, switch games are so small and i doubt they'll bulk up the carts to something respectable despite the overcharge

I eventually grew to enjoy the taste of the carts, but it says a lot about our hellworld that I need to worry about them changing the formula in addition to the price increase

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I mean this without irony. Nintendo is doomed.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I just really hope they're not going full Nintendo and intend to charge 70 for whatever half-baked mario sports game they got next.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ni tendo knows I’m a pig that’ll buy their slop at any price how dare they

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Pungry posted:

I do miss a good manual for a game. Would read those things on the drive back home and then at random times just for fun. I even cut out pictures from the Super Mario Strikers manual because I thought they were badass. I know there's electronic manuals now, but they don't feel the same.

I don't know if it was the ink, paper, or both, but I loved the smell of game manuals as a kid.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Failtendo.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MorningMoon posted:

I just really hope they're not going full Nintendo and intend to charge 70 for whatever half-baked mario sports game they got next.

If you think it's rough now, wait until they charge for all the "Here's the 80% of the game we didn't put on the cart" updates in the future titles.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao the balls on Nintendo to charge $70 for games that are two console gens behind everyone else. A positive reading of this is that they feel incredibly confident in Zelda.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DC Murderverse posted:

I’ll pay a hundred dollars for Pikmin 4 idgaf

pikmin 4 is the only game i'd pay a hundred bucks for and i'd do it with a gigantic smile on my face

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I said come in! posted:

lmao the balls on Nintendo to charge $70 for games that are two console gens behind everyone else. A positive reading of this is that they feel incredibly confident in Zelda.

I'm incredibly confident in Zelda OP

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I put hundreds and hundreds of hours into BotW, I'll shell out 70 bucks for ToTK sight unseen at the drop of a hat.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I put hundreds and hundreds of hours into BotW, I'll shell out 70 bucks for ToTK sight unseen at the drop of a hat.

:hmmyes:

The only media with an initial purchase price I consume that's given me a lower $/hr rate in terms of entertainment is these very forums and probably Minecraft

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Zelda games probably give you less brain damage than the forums do, though.

The jury is still out on Minecraft.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I said come in! posted:

A neutral reading is console generations don't mean anything. If a game is fun and people worked hard on it, it's a fun game that people worked hard on. :shrug:

I have a PS5, I just never play it because Switch just makes it a hundred times easier to make time for games.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 8, 2023

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Scholtz posted:

The forums-induced brain damage is why I play Minecraft, actually :science:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The forums introduced me to Minecraft back in... 2009? 10? And i have no regrets.

Scholtz posted:

Nah, you end up catching the fandom

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

bestbuy wont let my preorder go through for Metroid where the error cites that preorders cant be placed with cards that expire within 15 days of release.
my card expires in early 2025!!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mister Facetious posted:

The forums introduced me to Minecraft back in... 2009? 10? And i have no regrets.

It blows my friend's teenage son's mind that I started playing Minecraft around the time that he was born. I even pulled up my old email receipt showing that I purchased the game back in 2009

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Maybe it's because I'm older and doing fine financially but $70 for a game the caliber of BOTW is a steal.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i mean, i can understand capitalism defenders in a video game thread, but at the same time, lol at you bootlickers

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Scholtz posted:

The introduction of weapon degradation has a high correlation with observed incidence of brain damage, given by our sample size here.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
There are games where you can tell they spent a lot of time on because of the attention to a lot of fine details.

I'd be okay if BOTW2 was 70$ but i'm feeling smug that I got a preorder at 60$

You know they'll make a 100-200$ limited/collectors edition that will sell out even if they generally aren't worth it imo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Modded Minecraft is insanely cool and good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

$70 isnt justified because that extra money isnt actually going towards anyone that worked on the games.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

So what is the surprise game that will be available right after the Direct? Please be Suikoden…

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Games should be $50

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

abelwingnut posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1623152440408424450

i think it was only on amazon before? maybe it means something?

And Best Buy has had a Metroid Prime Trilogy for switch available for pre-order in the past. So this tells us nothing

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I think I saw BoTW finally go on sale for $40 this past cyber Monday for like a day but that was the first time it’s ever been on sale, 5 years after release.

And no it did not include the DLC

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the botw dlc has never once gone on sale lol

Just to correct some bad info, I bought the following from the US eShop (Switch):

On 12/15/2020, Breath of the Wild, $39.99
On 12/10/2021, Breath of the Wild Expansion Pass, $13.99

Though personally it meant buying each of them for the second time, first was on the Wii U :shepspends:

Zat fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 8, 2023

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i spent usd120 on botw so i can't exactly get too het up about this lmao

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Neither here nor there, but I paid $120 CDN for Final Fantasy 3 on launch for SNES.

Worth every penny. Wish it was the massive focus instead of 7. I could definitely see a prequel. Sequel would be tough as Kefka didn't have any underlings with personality that I recall.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Len posted:

And Best Buy has had a Metroid Prime Trilogy for switch available for pre-order in the past. So this tells us nothing

At least Metroid Prime 4 we know is confirmed to be in development, with nothing official that its been canceled. Metroid Prime Trilogy was always a bad rumor.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

WarpDogs posted:

according to dekudeals, the lowest BotW + DLC has been in the last 3 years is $47, and that happened exactly one time. Most of the time it drops only to $56

honestly I wish we could pay more, some sort of reverse sale, for the joy Zelda gives me

I think I paid $30 for BotW when it was on sale, and remember buying the DLC expansion with eShop or Amazon giftcards I got when it was like $15 or something. So whoops! Not $30, I meant that I technically paid $45 for BotW + DLC, which I guess is what I'll wait around to pay for BotW 2. I'm not gonna be a sucker and pay $70 for the sequel. Nintendo not gonna get me!!!

I lied, looked up my receipts, guess I paid $55 for BotW + DLC bundle using eShop credit. I am a sucker and I don't even remember.

teagone fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 8, 2023

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I would expect a sale on BOTW and its DLC shortly after the direct, but not like half off. Especially if they talk more about TotK.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Has anyone made a bingo yet

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They’re not raising prices and they’re giving employees raises.

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/nintendo-will-pay-its-workers-10-more/1100-6511268/

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Nintendo is based.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If they're really gonna raise the price of their games then the vouchers are even more of a deal than previously thought. Nintendo stays winning.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I don't really believe any press release stuff in regards to Nintendo plans or pricing because years ago they straight up had Miyamoto say in an interview that they had no plans to launch a DS successor and then they announced the 3DS like a month later. They will announce new pricing on games and new hardware information when they feel like it, and until that time, they will deny everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Software probably won't go up generally until the next generation. That said, they will probably try it with Tears as a stalking horse since they can get away with it since it's the ultra hyped release.