Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite former IK?
This poll is closed.
metis 5 7.04%
Metis! 16 22.54%
Me, tis 18 25.35%
emits 14 19.72%
Hydrossity 18 25.35%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
for 70 bucks we better get some of that 21st century 3d computer graphic imagery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

What is the better water level, Labyrinth Zone, Chemical Zone, Aquatic Ruin Zone, or Hydrocity Zone? Don't you dare say Oil Ocean :blastu:

Hill Top Zone

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

What is the better water level, Labyrinth Zone, Chemical Zone, Aquatic Ruin Zone, or Hydrocity Zone? Don't you dare say Oil Ocean :blastu:

Hydrocity and it's not even close

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mode 7 posted:

Hydrocity and it's not even close

Looper posted:

hydrocity and it's not close

:hmmyes: :kingsley: :hmmyes:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
All this talk of Freezy Peak is making me smile! I started Banjo Kazooie on Friday last week and between then, Sunday's session and last night I am at Rusty Bucket Bay :)

Freezy Peak was a REALLY good level with great music that helped me focus when panicking about the Snowmeans. (Homing snowballs!!)

Clanker's Clavern was pretty great too despite my inability to swim.

I always go for water levels as having the best music because then you can add the Ecco the Dolphin soundtracks which are all godlike.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

VideoGames posted:

I always go for water levels as having the best music because then you can add the Ecco the Dolphin soundtracks which are all godlike.

The Mega CD version of Welcome to the Machine is loving incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIkzOSEykaE

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is RBB proving as hellish for you as people were hoping?

Last night I got pizza and saw Patti Harrison (from I Think You Should Leave among other things) do stand-up and it was a wonderful time :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I did not start RBB yet. I paused the game right there because Regy wants to see it :)

It turns out it is a water level which after the tomfoolery of Clanker's Clavern makes sense why I will struggle.

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Mega CD version of Welcome to the Machine is loving incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIkzOSEykaE

One of the greatest soundtracks of alll time. :hai:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay finished Homeworld 2. Now ready for Homeworld 3 to finally release.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

lmao that was great

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Last night I got pizza and saw Patti Harrison (from I Think You Should Leave among other things) do stand-up and it was a wonderful time :)

Idk about arbies but I'd love to see her live, I yell her lines way too often at work

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

she's the funniest person on that show and that's saying something

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I somehow glossed over this part. Did you ask her about the tables?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

VideoGames posted:

I somehow glossed over this part. Did you ask her about the tables?

The tables keep her house hot!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Lord Koth posted:

It in fact had 6. Three making up the original trilogy, and three more in a sequel trilogy involving a different cast (though the old characters show up). The first trilogy released on PC and PS2 (from what I can tell, XBox got the first game, and ONLY the first game), which is why someone actually did make a fan translation of all of them years ago. The sequel trilogy was only released on PS2, and thus would have been much more of a pain to work on at the time and so wasn't. Comparisons to Sakura Wars are fairly apt, though it uses a pauseable real time combat instead of turn-based, and actually does make use of 3 dimensions rather than being on a flat plane. One notable difference from Sakura Wars is that, given it's a contiguous trilogy, it asks you at the beginning of each sequel who your chosen character was, and has notable differences over the course of the games based on who it was. This includes different starting scenarios for game 2, so the differences are actually immediately apparent.

Aside from finding them - even :filez: isn't particularly easy now, though is possible - the other problem is the the first game really does not like Windows 10 (not certain about 11, as I haven't tried). Some people can get it to smoothly work, and there are theoretically workarounds, but it's an effort. They seemingly switched to a different engine for #2 and 3, as those generally run fine, but obviously in a trilogy you kind of want to start with the first.

And the reason why the anime was so absurdist, nonsensical and had basically nothing to do with the plot of the actual games is that the production studio was only given extremely basic character and story setting summations (as in, "it's a sci-fi setting and involves the term lost technology... that's it", level of basic) and told to make something. Which is why, say, Ranpha in the anime is utterly money-obsessed and will do literally anything from gold digging to numerous get-rich-quick schemes to get more for herself, while game Ranpha has basically no attachment to it whatsoever - her only real concern with money is sending most of her earnings on to her relatively poor (and very large) family. It also actually released before the first game despite being supposedly created as a promotion of it - though I don't recall if this was due to game delays or some other reason.

The former is absolutely fascinating and while I don't think I would try to find them to play them, learning that one of the few manga I grabbed from Borders as a teenager originated from a game rather than the other way around is kinda cool. Insane, but cool.

The latter makes a bunch of sense to me though, especially considering the circumstances around it. Gotta make them characters super memorable!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

This is correct

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Arzaac posted:

I'm sure most people know by now but I would also like to present one of his greatest pieces, the Solstice theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gObHt1uZA

This is like a Jethro Tull track, incredible

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1623312010493706240?t=GGwSWDxLh7HBQfQzKW3biA&s=19

What would be the worst company to sell Call of Duty to

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Quantic Dream

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lockmart

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hydrossity

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You wouldn't say Recipro-City.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Related to yesterdays conversation

https://twitter.com/hanzhonglang/status/1622988880126386178

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

really stretching the definition of anime girls there

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hydrossity is how I pronounce it. :c00l:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Take two

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

All this talk of Freezy Peak is making me smile! I started Banjo Kazooie on Friday last week and between then, Sunday's session and last night I am at Rusty Bucket Bay :)

Freezy Peak was a REALLY good level with great music that helped me focus when panicking about the Snowmeans. (Homing snowballs!!)

Clanker's Clavern was pretty great too despite my inability to swim.

Oh hey I just finished BK a couple days ago as a sorta shorter game after I finished Persona 5R. The old-timey collectathon-exploration felt surprisingly good to me- levels are big enough to be interesting but small enough to be impossible to get lost in and make sure you don't take forever traversing the place to get to something. I love Click-Clock Wood but that's the only one that gets a little tedious when you have to run back and forth between seasons if you missed something in the first run through them.

Probably shoulda played it on Rare Replay instead of on the Switch N64 application- docked the game is constantly juttery and dropping frames turning it into a slideshow in parts. Handheld it seems way better- wish there was an option to force rendering at whatever resolution handheld gets while you're playing docked.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh hey I just finished BK a couple days ago as a sorta shorter game after I finished Persona 5R. The old-timey collectathon-exploration felt surprisingly good to me- levels are big enough to be interesting but small enough to be impossible to get lost in and make sure you don't take forever traversing the place to get to something. I love Click-Clock Wood but that's the only one that gets a little tedious when you have to run back and forth between seasons if you missed something in the first run through them.

Probably shoulda played it on Rare Replay instead of on the Switch N64 application- docked the game is constantly juttery and dropping frames turning it into a slideshow in parts. Handheld it seems way better- wish there was an option to force rendering at whatever resolution handheld gets while you're playing docked.

Yeah I never really played these style of games due to not owning an N64, but it is really good fun!

I am also playing docked on switch and so far only noticed frame rate stuff in the desert section before the level. Though I might just have eye problems.

I have not gotten to click clock wood yet, but have seen the empty portrait - however there is currently no spot to actually put the jigsaw pieces in so I am guessing I open that up later too.

I am attempting all musics, all jigsaw pieces and all hexagons run as that is what the goons said I must do :)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Okay finished Homeworld 2. Now ready for Homeworld 3 to finally release.

What do you think about it now you're done with it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sell it to Square Enix and turn it into NFTs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Gearbox

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

lol, Micro$oft is basically buying Activison for CoD so that will never happen. Although if would be good if Blizzard got spun off somehow.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
EA buys Call of Duty and makes Call of Battlefield

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i pronounce it hydrocity

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
CMA really is doing Sony's bidding on this one huh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sony is violating the will of gamers everywhere. They must pay

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Enormous companies consolidating together is obviously bad to anyone with eyes BUT if I could get call of duty on gamepass...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Volte posted:

CMA really is doing Sony's bidding on this one huh

Indirectly. They’re more worried about the nascent cloud market.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Industry consolidation is bad, even if Sony stands to benefit short term, so I hope the deal gets shot down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL53tS3SEpE