Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

jmistajay posted:

Hey, that's me! I am said brother and am working hard on Cache Grabbers. The cool stuff you've said is greatly appreciated! I'd love to hear any feedback, or if you wanna play it I've got a Beta demo build that I can link you to if you DM me. Thanks, everyone!

Hiyo! Your PMs are blocked but I wanted to say how much I'm interested in triangulation as a mechanic. I loved Miasmata and would be interested in the Beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mescal posted:

code vein $9 or nioh 2 $30?

edit: looks like Nadir is out of EA today? sale on that too

Nioh 2, for sure.

I liked Code Vein okay, but Nioh 2 is the best soulslike there is.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Runa posted:

bought a copy because a friend sent me a screenshot of not!Char and his crazy ride

Thank you! For those wondering, this is the character:

And this is his ride:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Playing the Darkest Dungeon 2 demo and I can't tell if the torch is supposed to be a metaphorical or literal torch because other option is really funny.

It's either a metaphor that is literally shining out light and bursts into brighter luminance when you're a good person (which must be startling for the refugees) or it's a literal torch from a theater major narrator and all the people on the road are going "thanks for the help in slaying that demon from beyond the stars, here's a bunch of sticks to burn."

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 8, 2023

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Yesterday's game of the hour, Spellforce: Conquest of Eo is on sale for a few bucks off if anyone was interested.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Strong Sauce posted:

does anyone have that harry potter clip where the enemy just glitches/slides in front of your character and hits them? sorry it was a while back and i forgot who posted it
This isn't the exact clip but it's the same fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJM-fsGJVDw

It's the dodge tutorial though and the movement is intentional, probably to stop people outranging it and never needing to dodge.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The Gripper posted:

This isn't the exact clip but it's the same fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJM-fsGJVDw

It's the dodge tutorial though and the movement is intentional, probably to stop people outranging it and never needing to dodge.

thanks.!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sab669 posted:

Meet Your Maker is definitely getting more fun the more time I spend. At first you're just doing crude puzzles made by other people new to the game, and there's some clever gatchyas but nothing too crazy. Then once you start learning more and build more elaborate traps it's really fun. You can watch Replays of other Raiders raiding your base and it's so fun watching people figure your maze out as they die 3-5x in the span of 2 - 10 minutes.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what some people in the community can come up with for devious, bullshit traps.

My first base has had 22 Attempts and it's killed 29 times, giving it a Kill Ratio of 1.3
My second base, a Medium sized one now that I've got my bearings on the game more, has had 4 attempts and has killed 26 times already for a KR of 6.5 :black101:

You can also apply up to 2 of 4 Tags at the end of a Raid on someone's base, Fun, Brutal, Ingenious, and Artistic. Also fun seeing how people rate your maze afterwards.

Immensely cool concept for a game.

I'm glad you mentioned this game.

The theming would usually make me ignore it, but it's a genuinely fun game. The tutorial works well and raiding is legitimately fun. Some people are assholes and have a single room full of every guard possible - I finally beat that one but I think I'll skip any others I see like that. Others are really clever. My last raid of the night killed me an average of 4seconds past my previous death location 12 times in a row and I was laughing the whole time.

I must be terrible at this game, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Everything dies in one hit, including you. It feels fair in a way a lot of "hard" games don't.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 8, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
More SteamFest stuff!

Ethyrial: Echoes of Yore sure is an MMO. It promises all the things that anything calling itself an MMO promises these days (a "hardcore, old-school" experience, to name the most obvious), but I didn't see anything particularly unique in my time with it. Maybe someone will tell me that I'm wrong and if you get up to Tier 2 classes in the demo it expands into compelling gameplay, but I sure wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

By contrast, Dark Envoy is... well it's not particularly my thing, but there's definitely something interesting going on here. A real time with pause/slow motion RPG, during which half of the characters scribble area denial status effects on the ground and another quarter dart behind tactical cover. Most of the description in Steam describing the combat is really trying to push the battlefield control angle, even mentioning stuff like casting walls of stone to separate enemy supports from DPS. The game seems to be intentionally built around co-op from the ground up such that you could do the whole campaign in online co-op mode, which is interesting, though unless you have a committed buddy you're likely going to end up finishing the game by yourself or with randoms when your schedules desync. It's fairly customizable for varied playstyles - even at the start you get two characters that, except insofar as they need to be a brother/sister pair you can customize from appearance sliders to class choice (four classes, each eventually unlocking four subclasses) to stat bars that vaguely remind me of the Dawn of War 2 setup but are probably from something else.

I'm not holding out too much hope that the actual plot/characters are spectacular, even in the demo the brother and sister's dynamic got really old, really quickly. But somebody's going to latch onto this game, I can tell.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 8, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Cool (and not so cool) Next Fest demos I've tried:

Radio the Universe - COOL - Very stylish and atmospheric top-down Zelda-like where you play as a surprisingly heavy robot who clunkily explores a ruined techno city, keeps jumping down pits and battles enemies while using the appropriate sequence of moves to ensure they reduce the enemies HP to exactly zero for EXP. Also features a lot of 2.5D jumping puzzles, similar to ones seen in Unsighted, Crosscode, Alundra, and other Zelda-likes.

Gestalt: Steam & Cinder - COOL - Pretty polished and cool Metroidvania with a story focus where you explore a steampunk city as a roguish lady merc, picking up misc bounties/quests while doing your main mission which has you uncovering relics of some mysterious civilization with void powers and maybe you have some connection to the past or future or something. Combat has you use sword moves to build up energy for fancy bullets that can hurt or stun while ducking or roll through well-telegraphed attacks.

Picayune Dreams - COOL - Interesting Vampire Survivors-like that, like Hades, differentiates it from the crowd with an incredible sense of style, tons of dialogue that changes every run and a mysterious story you piece together as you progress with all sorts of lore nuggets being dropped in Yume Nikki sidestories as you defeat bosses. Gives me Evangelion, Returnal or maybe Ender's Game vibes.

Oblivion Override - COOL - For fans of Dead Cells, this is a pretty polished clone with more of a focus on fancy weapons and stylish moves you can pull off on cooldowns. Nothing too special to set it apart, but the hacking and slashing felt alright.

Rusted Moss - COOL - Reminds me a lot of Momodora, if it took place in a rusty yet mossy apocalyptic cityscape where you had not only a cool charge-burst-rifle, but a grapple hook bungie cord that is used for a lot of challenging platforming and even combat during grapples.

Dust & Neon - COOL - Kinda like a combination of Borderlands (aesthetic, loot, upgrades) and Synthetik/The Ascent (fast-paced top-down combat with a focus on fancy reloads, moving behind crates for auto-cover yet shooting over them when you aim). It didn't grab me at first and I'm a bit worried about whether it has a good enough story and goal apart from just going through missions, but the combat started to feel really good: I liked how enemies use cover and have their own ammo counts and have to reload, making for some cool strategic cowboy exchanges.

Trinity Fusion - NOT COOL - Not that bad as a Metroidvania/Dead Cells-ish game: decent combat with good enemy telegraphs and variety. But it just felt like the levels were pretty boring with a real random smattering of enemies placed haphazardly, and I encountered plenty of weird bugs.

Gripper - NOT COOL - It looks stylish and I think the whole motorcycle combat where you hook onto enemy body parts and pull them off, only to chuck them right back at them is very novel. But currently the game feels really unpolished and janky, lacking any sort of satisfying punch to the combat due to sparse audio, and is overly cinematic/QTE focused. It has that kind of feeling where it was built assuming the best case scenario, and anything you do outside of that best case causes bugs (very common with a lot of these Next Fest demos, I feel)

Dad by the Sword - HMMM - As a Dark Messiah of Might and Magic fan, I really want to like this. It has a lot of cool stuff like kicking enemies into spikes, Metal Gear Rising-esque dismemberments, directional slashes and blocks/parries based on movement, and so on. But the game just feels really wonky and unfocused at the moment with all sorts of bugs, and the levels are pretty boring and repetitive. Something to keep an eye on though, as if it gets polished I think it could be great.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 8, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i will piggyback with some demo impressions of my own

Prison City
A competent tribute to games like Project VICE with really nice pixel art BGs and quality chiptune music. The gameplay is, well it's doing what it's doing, it's nothing spectacular but it plays fine. Will probably be a game I buy at $5-10 and enjoy for a couple of hours.

Afterimage
The developers of goon-favorite arpg Gujian 3 have a new game (that hopefully will not have online DRM), this time in the Metroidvania category. And it fits the bill pretty well. I don't love that your sword slashing is only out in front of you (no upward slice, no downward slide, etc), but aesthetically it looks good with fast, pleasing animations and painted scenery. It's got equipment, experience points and an upgrade tree, so that might give you an indication on where on the spectrum this Metroidvania leans (ie: not Metroid), but this shows a good amount of promise. This one comes out in April.

Astra: Fading Stars
This one, however, not so much promise at the moment. The sound design is nonexistent, the combat and animations don't really hook up well, and it just feels very low budget.

Star Hearts
Odd one. This is an odd one. It's got some charm with the character designs and quirky chatter noises, but its decision to show a super-wide field rather than close-up action is very strange, and the pixel art is not really built for that, which makes it look worse than it probably actually is. Couple that with monotonous music and this one feels like it needs more time in the oven.

The Ramsey
Another one that needs time in the oven but there's a bit more polish to this one-- for the most part. Once again, almost no sound design, which I'd get if the game was coming out in 2024 but I believe this has a 2023 target. It feels like it might be on the shorter side because the area maps were fleshing out to 100% very quickly. It's got a little bit of jank but I like the art. It does need polish. I like the concept of the gun that shoots out bouncy tiles, it reminds me of Quackshot Starring Donald Duck.

PictoPull
Folks... it's mid. It is janky, it is low budget, it has Minecraft looking characters... but I don't care. It's Pushmo, and fuckin nobody else is making Pushmo, so I am buying this game when it comes out. This dev loves Pushmo as much as I do and has faithfully recreated all of the mechanics and puzzle design, including the rewind and reset buttons, and some of the advanced Pushmo strats like the side slide and the nook pop-out jump, so I expect that I will enjoy the levels in the game. One tip to the developer if they are reading this, though. There's no need for the character to be able to fall into the ocean around the stage, you can just go ahead and throw up some invisible walls, it's fine. This game also comes with a level editor and Workshop support, so we'll never need Intelligent Systems again. Fine, stick with your Fire Emblems, be that way. I'll have PictoPull. (and in a month too, it comes out on March 1st)

8 demos is pretty solid for one day I think. I'll see if I can hit the same target tomorrow.

Wishlisted from this batch: Afterimage, PictoPull, The Ramsey, Prison City
Best demo I've played so far: Ignoring Gravity Circuit which I played over the weekend, either Shadows of Doubt (despite my concerns with it) or Afterimage
Next up: I had installed Rusted Moss and Radio the Universe already but just hadn't gotten to them yet like the above poster was able to. So keep those on the list. Otherwise, I'm looking at Slave Zero X, A Sister's Journey, Mr. Saitou, Vividlope, Teslagrad 2, and Koa & the Five Pirates of Mara.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 8, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

FutureCop posted:

Dad by the Sword - HMMM - As a Dark Messiah of Might and Magic fan, I really want to like this. It has a lot of cool stuff like kicking enemies into spikes, Metal Gear Rising-esque dismemberments, directional slashes and blocks/parries based on movement, and so on. But the game just feels really wonky and unfocused at the moment with all sorts of bugs, and the levels are pretty boring and repetitive. Something to keep an eye on though, as if it gets polished I think it could be great.

As a fan of Die By The Sword I had wondered what happened to this game. This was at some festivals and such 7 or 8 years ago looking basically the same.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Another nail in the coffin of brick and mortar.
A bunch of SoCal Gamestops hit, employees get beatdown by multiple guys and then they leave with all the Xboxes they can carry.
I assume no Playstations were in stock to be stolen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jBka_z6EAk

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 8, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Do they not know that consoles have unique serial numbers?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You think joe blo down the street is asking about serial numbers? They ain't stealing the Mona Lisa mate, that poo poo moves fast.

vvv edit: Oh drat. I'm just gonna go grab my cane then and yell at some clouds. (also, do they not have an offline mode? probably not. drat clouds.)
edit2: then I suppose it'd be about selling it to the greater sucker, someone like me maybe?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 8, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They report the SN to Xbox Live every time you log in.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

Shadows of Doubt

Folks, we've got an immersive sim on our hands. An immersive sim with procgen, so... it's a real rollercoaster ride of ups and downs. Two of the three words, very exciting. Detective + ImmSim. Yes, very good. Third word, procgen? I have concerns.

You take on cases as a private investigator and go around hunting down leads, finding clues, and amassing a very cluttered mental pinboard (yes you can get pepe silva up in here, like the show on tv). Because it's an immsim that means you have a lot of freedom in how you do this. You can lockpick doors and shut off security systems, enter ventilation systems, break windows and jump in, or just wait until someone opens a locked door, run in and punch people until they're knocked out and you can explore in peace. There's computers with passcodes, safes with keypads, sticky notes everywhere, emails to read. It's got all the stuff you expect. It also looks like there will be augments/upgrades in the full game (I couldn't figure out how to install them in the clinic when I tried it in the demo).

HOWEVER, all that cool stuff aside, I've got issues with the proc gen. NPCs will often say the same exact poo poo to you no matter what you ask them, and their dialog hasn't been fully proofread. I encountered two separate workstations in the same building that had identically-written emails from differently-named spouses. The voxel look of the game means that NPCs don't look super distinct from each other. And we're at the surface level right now... what concerns me is that there are supposed to be procedurally-generated cases in the full game (and a sandbox mode). Granted, you can put together a Cluedo randomizer without much difficulty these days so creating standard murder investigations to solve is not like a crazy concept. But if the NPCs don't have any flavor to them, then that bodes poorly for any flavor text that I would expect from a murder mystery. It's not just about whodunnit, you gotta get to know the players involved! What their deal is! What they do in secret! Their communications with each other!

At the very least the demo case is hand-crafted, and I would assume that there will be a number of hand-crafted cases in the game as well, so if they have a decent level of quality to them, then I think this is worth a recommendation regardless of the issues I had.

Quite impressed by Shadows of Doubt. Needs a bit more time in the oven to improve performance, but what I saw was very impressive.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

FutureCop posted:

Cool (and not so cool) Next Fest demos I've tried:

Radio the Universe - COOL - Very stylish and atmospheric top-down Zelda-like where you play as a surprisingly heavy robot who clunkily explores a ruined techno city, keeps jumping down pits and battles enemies while using the appropriate sequence of moves to ensure they reduce the enemies HP to exactly zero for EXP. Also features a lot of 2.5D jumping puzzles, similar to ones seen in Unsighted, Crosscode, Alundra, and other Zelda-likes.
Radio the Universe looks pretty cool, but it's also been in development since 2012.

That doesn't preclude it from being good or bad or anything else, but take any indication of a pending release date with a grain of salt.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's planned for release in winter 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

lih posted:

it's planned for release in winter 2020
:hmmyes: Can't wait.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

FutureCop posted:

Picayune Dreams - COOL - Interesting Vampire Survivors-like that, like Hades, differentiates it from the crowd with an incredible sense of style, tons of dialogue that changes every run and a mysterious story you piece together as you progress with all sorts of lore nuggets being dropped in Yume Nikki sidestories as you defeat bosses. Gives me Evangelion, Returnal or maybe Ender's Game vibes.

they made cruelty squad into a vampire survivors

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

they made cruelty squad into a vampire survivors
Looks more like Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1507780/Space_Warlord_Organ_Trading_Simulator/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

LLSix posted:

I'm glad you mentioned this game.

The theming would usually make me ignore it, but it's a genuinely fun game. The tutorial works well and raiding is legitimately fun. Some people are assholes and have a single room full of every guard possible - I finally beat that one but I think I'll skip any others I see like that. Others are really clever. My last raid of the night killed me an average of 4seconds past my previous death location 12 times in a row and I was laughing the whole time.

I must be terrible at this game, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Everything dies in one hit, including you. It feels fair in a way a lot of "hard" games don't.

Theming meaning that Doom-looking post apocalyptic kinda vibe? Yea not necessarily my style either, but it's fine.
I don't think I've encountered any maps like what you describe, but I have encountered a few rooms with 2x of the big Brutes and such. Guards can be upgraded with Armor then they no longer die in 1 hit which is spooky. Although I think you can still headshot them maybe? I'm also not sure how the game pulls the pool of active maps to choose from.

It's just super fun waking up, logging in, looking at the Replay terminal and seeing someone died a dozen times and took 28 minutes on my map haha.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
A quick one before work.

Atomic Picnic is a co-op shooter where you run around the map shooting/avoiding enemies in an attempt to survive for 10 minutes while upgrading your gun via a level up system. I really like the art style on this one, the gunplay and movement mechanics are super fun and fairly intuitive to pick up for anyone who's played one of these kinds of games before, but the lack of any kind of music is really off-putting, it doesn't seem like there's much variety, enemies start to get a little damage sponge-y, and it was really easy to get overwhelmed by the mini-boss that pops up about 1/3 of the way through a run without dodge-spamming. But seeing as the pros are inherent to the game itself and the cons are things that could be easily solved with some more time in the oven and a balance rework, I'm going to give this one a tentative thumbs up for people looking for something in this genre that's short and sweet.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 8, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I pushed through to the end of the story in Dying Light 2 last night and hooboy that whole ending bit stunk. Laughable plot contrivances, corridors leading to cutscenes followed by another corridor and another cutscene (etc), and to top it off a lovely FOUR PHASE boss fight where the boss AI frequently glitched out and either had him standing there while we wailed away or jankily teleporting between locations where he was supposed to be. The moment to moment gameplay in DL2 is pretty fun and it's been made much better with this new ragdoll update but the plot sure does loving suck and that ending was bad. I also hate how often they do the "Aiden is turning into sicko mode Aiden and has to stop to look at his hands as he contemplates what he has become" thing for no reason other than to stop you for a couple seconds before you continue on your way. Reminds me of the thing in Far Cry 5 where you keep getting stunlocked out of nowhere to force you into plot; it's just never fun having control taken away from you and it feels worse when your character just gets up and is able to continue as normal right afterwards.

Edit: Far Cry 5, not Fallout 5 :doh:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 8, 2023

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

FutureCop posted:

Gripper - NOT COOL - It looks stylish and I think the whole motorcycle combat where you hook onto enemy body parts and pull them off, only to chuck them right back at them is very novel. But currently the game feels really unpolished and janky, lacking any sort of satisfying punch to the combat due to sparse audio, and is overly cinematic/QTE focused. It has that kind of feeling where it was built assuming the best case scenario, and anything you do outside of that best case causes bugs (very common with a lot of these Next Fest demos, I feel)

This makes me sad because I fuckin loved Furi and I thought this would be a nice successor.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

explosivo posted:

I pushed through to the end of the story in Dying Light 2 last night and hooboy that whole ending bit stunk. Laughable plot contrivances, corridors leading to cutscenes followed by another corridor and another cutscene (etc), and to top it off a lovely FOUR PHASE boss fight where the boss AI frequently glitched out and either had him standing there while we wailed away or jankily teleporting between locations where he was supposed to be. The moment to moment gameplay in DL2 is pretty fun and it's been made much better with this new ragdoll update but the plot sure does loving suck and that ending was bad. I also hate how often they do the "Aiden is turning into sicko mode Aiden and has to stop to look at his hands as he contemplates what he has become" thing for no reason other than to stop you for a couple seconds before you continue on your way. Reminds me of the thing in Fallout 5 where you keep getting stunlocked out of nowhere to force you into plot; it's just never fun having control taken away from you and it feels worse when your character just gets up and is able to continue as normal right afterwards.

Or the bit in Far Cry 2 where you get malaria for a few seconds, everything goes green then back to normal and you have to smuggle some passports to stop it happening so often.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

explosivo posted:

I pushed through to the end of the story in Dying Light 2 last night and hooboy that whole ending bit stunk. Laughable plot contrivances, corridors leading to cutscenes followed by another corridor and another cutscene (etc)

Currently playing through it in co-op and spending a lot more time trying to game the systems to get upgrade materials than touch the plot. But boy, every time we do we're in permanent eye-roll mode. The sequence with Lawan as you move to the second area for the first time where it's walk->chat-->walk->chat->walk->chat was just exhausting. Glad to know we're in for more!

Some of the plot and chat is entirely passable, but the bits that drag it down (like how nearly everyone is an unlikeable idiot with too much to say) just kill alls of it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fwoderwick posted:

Some of the plot and chat is entirely passable, but the bits that drag it down (like how nearly everyone is an unlikeable idiot with too much to say) just kill alls of it.

Haha yeah enjoy the ending :shepface:

I spent 90% of the game skipping all of the custscenes and randomly picking whatever dialog choice I thought was the right one, it was kind of fun treating it as a fever dream where you'd go from a conversation into combat with a bunch of random people out of nowhere while filling in the blanks with what I thought happened but figured I'd actually watch the stuff at the end of the game to see how it all wrapped up and.. yeah.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 8, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Fwoderwick posted:

Currently playing through it in co-op and spending a lot more time trying to game the systems to get upgrade materials than touch the plot. But boy, every time we do we're in permanent eye-roll mode. The sequence with Lawan as you move to the second area for the first time where it's walk->chat-->walk->chat->walk->chat was just exhausting. Glad to know we're in for more!

Improving the dialogue and writing from DL1 should have been the easiest slam dunk in gaming history and yet

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dying Light 1 had too much bad story that was in the way of the gameplay and by the sounds of it Dying Light 2 has even more even worse story that's even more difficult to ignore, which is the reason why I haven't bothered touching the game at all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

kazil posted:

Improving the dialogue and writing from DL1 should have been the easiest slam dunk in gaming history and yet

Iirc they claim to have removed any of Avellone’s contributions to the story, and he was part of the project for years, so I imagine some of the messiness is because of that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack Trades posted:

Dying Light 1 had too much bad story that was in the way of the gameplay and by the sounds of it Dying Light 2 has even more even worse story that's even more difficult to ignore, which is the reason why I haven't bothered touching the game at all.

It's actually incredibly easy to ignore because you can insta skip any conversation and I think the game is better if you do. I just decided to start paying attention at the very end to see how it all wrapped up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My favorite part of dying light 1’s story was the ending part where the villain literally says aloud “we are not so different, you and I”

Was a fun game to goof around with my brother thanks to the parkour and dropkick but zombies are a painfully boring scenario that everything else has to work overtime to make up for.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I remember the delivery of the plot of the first game being decidedly more paperthin, which with it's quality is a definite positive as it leaves you to just get on with parkouring and drop kicking zombies.

I don't remember if it had the same style of delivering the plot as DL2, but the bethesda-esque stuck in place, being talked at by torsos as your not-Nolan North utters bland sentences in response... it's hard work.

The parkour and dropkicking is still good, although I feel like even there it's not as good as the first game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

explosivo posted:

It's actually incredibly easy to ignore because you can insta skip any conversation and I think the game is better if you do. I just decided to start paying attention at the very end to see how it all wrapped up.

They changed that? I remember people say that at launch you could only skip one sentence at a time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack Trades posted:

They changed that? I remember people say that at launch you could only skip one sentence at a time.

If it was like that at launch then yes they did change that. Now that you mention it I do recall going line by line when I was first playing it but you definitely can hold to skip conversations up to your next dialog choice now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

https://youtu.be/4Ppw5yTa3uk