Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Boooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
this magic is poo poo

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Lads I was just saying you had to defend but you let in an easy chance

smdh

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Drunk Canuck posted:

Heads up you might want to defend better when you're up a goal and a man. Hth

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The Final Long Throw

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/1619717754621419527?s=20&t=MhEo5zl06seWy6KtgapLBg

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

:hmmyes:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Impressive noise at pride park for a school night

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
See thread title, ignore that City just played Arsenal!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Getting dangerously close to Spurs fluking a trophy here

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ally mccoist should commentate every football game

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Moyes is finding a competition he's good in

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Thanks Ants posted:

Getting dangerously close to Spurs fluking a trophy here

I'm lining up an elaborate Detective Pikachu and The Case Of Missing Trophies bit for next month, don't worry

but yeah, the cup looks extremely winnable for United & City or whoever can knock off United/City in a one-off game

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Little known fact but ryan reynolds (the actor) owns Wrexham. They don't really like to mention it

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The dude from Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Big fan of Wrexham winning a penalty from a foul a full 2 yards outside the box. A good old no VAR botch job.

1-1!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Little known fact but ryan reynolds mac (the actorfrom it's always sunny in philadelphia) owns Wrexham. They don't really like to mention it

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Should have smashed it down the middle again, smh

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Am I wrong in assuming that Wrexham's squad is probably closer to a League 1/Championship club than it is to a Conference squad?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If Wrexham win this (they won't) then they're allowed to stay in the competition long enough to knock Spurs out but they should go no further because that handball was incredibly obvious

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
once again I am thanking LUTON TOWN for keep VAR out of the Championship like god intended.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What dogshit play lol, trying to flick it where exactly when you have nobody back

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
more like wreckedham

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wrexsham

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shrapnig posted:

Am I wrong in assuming that Wrexham's squad is probably closer to a League 1/Championship club than it is to a Conference squad?

They've definitely got at least a few players who belong in League One

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Paul Mullin and Ollie Palmer are definitely playing below their level and they seem to have gotten rid of quite a few of the lads featured in the first season of Welcome to Wrexham

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

quote:

But Sharp then launched an onslaught towards the non-league side, saying he was glad they had knocked Wrexham out after what he perceived to be a disrespectful approach from some of their players.

Sharp told ITV: “I think they’ve been disrespectful with a few things before the game, thinking they were already through. I’m glad we’ve beat them. They’re doing well in their league, we’re doing well in ours, but I wasn’t happy with a few of their players.

“I wasn’t happy with the way they’ve been as a club before the game, eyeing up Spurs. They’ve not even beat us.”

Those comments were countered by Parkinson, who accused Sharp of causing a scene in the tunnel after the match had concluded. “I was a bit disappointed with Billy, with some of the things he was shouting down the tunnel,” Parkinson said. “He’s a fantastic player but I thought he was disrespectful after the game. The way their players celebrated was a mark of how tough we made it for them. My message to Billy is: you’re better than that. My players are humble people and they’re a credit to the football club.”

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Paul Mullin and Ollie Palmer are definitely playing below their level and they seem to have gotten rid of quite a few of the lads featured in the first season of Welcome to Wrexham

Ben Tozer won League Two with Cheltenham before transferring to Wrexham and could probably hold his own in League One, and they've got several more like him. Eoghan O'Connell was a starter for Charlton this season and they've just signed him in January, Thomas O'Connor made a similar move from Burton Albion last year. Both only six months after signing for their League One clubs.

Definitely need to go up this year, they must be haemorrhaging money.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Grats, you needed a replay to beat a team 3 levels below you lmao

E: Barely got a replay to barely beat a team 3 levels below, I should add

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Billy Sharp is a colossal chump.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

sebzilla posted:

Definitely need to go up this year, they must be haemorrhaging money.

tbf I don't believe there are any FFP restrictions below the EFL, so they can just keep soaking up Deadpool royalties until they make it

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbf I don't believe there are any FFP restrictions below the EFL, so they can just keep soaking up Deadpool royalties until they make it

From the show you can tell that they planned to put some money into it after the purchase and from what you can see from the show, I bet they went at least 1m over budget.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion insofar as it’s a decent look at players in the conference and Reynolds and Mcelheny seem to be relatively well advised guys who are running the club in a business like way.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Watching this Sunderland Fulham game and the atmosphere is dire and there's trash blowing all over the pitch lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bardeh posted:

Watching this Sunderland Fulham game and the atmosphere is dire and there's trash blowing all over the pitch lol

Yes, they're playing at The Stadium of Light, it's just the North East

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dogs in prams, blue drink etc

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

blue footed boobie posted:

From the show you can tell that they planned to put some money into it after the purchase and from what you can see from the show, I bet they went at least 1m over budget.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion insofar as it’s a decent look at players in the conference and Reynolds and Mcelheny seem to be relatively well advised guys who are running the club in a business like way.

In the first season alone they made 4.3 million pounds in Hulu money

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/welcome-wrexham-documentary-rakes-430000-25923219

Add in sponsorships, increased attendance, increased jersey sales, espn broadcasts to the US, etc and even if the club was a million in the red the first year they still recouped their purchase fee and more in year 1.

I've watched some of it and it is interesting to see how something that from most perspectives would be seen as horrendous becomes a feel good story with the right editing.

American millionaire sees the success of Ted Lasso, decides to make the reality show version of it of nice guy american coming to save the struggling team, make massive bank off of it while looking like the selfless heroes. Meanwhile, the rest of the league is stuck playing with like 1/5 the budget.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I kind of hope wrexham get jammed up in national league/league two for a while to see how the show would handle a "this is our midtable life now" season

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

ilmucche posted:

I kind of hope wrexham get jammed up in national league/league two for a while to see how the show would handle a "this is our midtable life now" season

Wrexham will get promoted to League Two at last and then will proceed to break FFP laws like a billion times

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Won't the fact that they have absurd sponsor pull already make it quite easy for them to compete financially in terms of FFP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Re: throwing money around in national league, its not the first time it's happened (some irony in the article https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/these-football-times/2018/jul/31/salford-city-promotion-football-league-wrexham) - billionaire money backing it and stuck in league 2.

I read there's some hack where existing contracts (in National league) don't count against them for FFP(or count for movements in general between tiers?) So if they load up enough decent players on some longer contracts they could potentially slingshot through league 2 with some more expensive players(?).

If they can keep the momentum going.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 9, 2023