Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i05L-FaDhko

A new gameplay video of Kal fighting against new enemy units.

I see they took the lack of dismemberment grumbling from the first game to heart and made droids a common enemy so you had something to carve up

Combat definitely looks fun

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Kinda live-blogging this so that I don't forget anything that catches my eyes in the vid:

That passage at the very beginning looked like the narrow passages of the first game that were used to hide loading screens...

Nice that they apparently learned from putting a huge creature in the distance on Bogano, and then being unable to interact with it. It's good that the giant turtle-snail is a quest objective.

I can't imagine letting your hand slide over the rocky wall while wall-running is good for your skin.

Seems like the lightsaber throw is now strong enough to outright kill weaker enemies.

If I interpret the UI correctly, you can choose 2 combat styles to be "ready" that you can switch between while in combat, but switching out one of the two combat styles on your action bar must be done out of combat, possibly at a save point?

The new force powers look nice and useful. And so does the grappling hook.

Ah, the crawlspace passages are back, but Cal went through this one really fast. Maybe if you have a slower PC, Cal takes longer to get through them?

It seems like there are big, "ultimate" force powers that have several seconds cooldown, like the mass force slow around Cal. It also seems like a "once per fight" ability. That's cool. I wouldn't be surprised if there are several such powers, but it seems like you can only have one "equipped" at a time. This would be a nice bit of customization, and is a clever way to overcome the problem of only having so many buttons to put force powers on.

Apparel options in chests return! And it wasn't a poncho!

Psychometry is back, no surprise here,

Overall, it's a cool vid. The game looks pretty good, even though the cave system on this planet looks quite similar to Bogano. I'm definitely hyped for Survivor.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Torrannor posted:

Ah, the crawlspace passages are back, but Cal went through this one really fast. Maybe if you have a slower PC, Cal takes longer to get through them?

This reminded me of an issue I had with pop-in in the new Dead Space game when I had it installed on a regular hard drive before I moved it to an SSD. I went down an elevator, and when the door opened up, there was no level there because it hadn't finished loading yet. Now I kinda want to see Cal just emerge from a crawlspace into an empty void.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Started replaying this in advance of the sequel but I had completely forgotten that there was so much backtracking and no fast travel, and it pretty much killed my playthrough dead.

Very glad to hear the next game will have fast travel at least.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Sio posted:

Started replaying this in advance of the sequel but I had completely forgotten that there was so much backtracking and no fast travel, and it pretty much killed my playthrough dead.

Yeah that's the biggest thing keeping me from replaying. Having to go through that drat wind planet again and getting lost in the caves underneath was terrible.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Sio posted:

I’m playing through it now for the first time and yea, there are times the lack of fast travel really makes me not want to continue.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i05L-FaDhko

A new gameplay video of Kal fighting against new enemy units.

They put the super metroid wall jump tutorial in complete with little critter friends teaching it lmao

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Sweet, ledge climbing and going through narrow passages. I was worried a AAA action game would leave those out. Please are there going to be some slides too?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Dpulex posted:

Sweet, ledge climbing and going through narrow passages. I was worried a AAA action game would leave those out. Please are there going to be some slides too?

Awww you know it you’re gonna think you’re at Waterworld, Splashtown, Schlitterbahn, or whatever your local purveyor of algae and mildew riddled slides is called

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Cal spent a second or two doing some sliding at one point.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The last level is just you going to Galaxy's Edge and partaking in its new Neverending Slide (set to the Star Tours ride visuals) while the credits roll

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This footage looks like they've done gently caress all between now and last time.

I guess Cal isn't violently vibrating on any uneven terrain.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JBP posted:

This footage looks like they've done gently caress all between now and last time.

Man I dunno, I don't think anybody's forcing you to keep posting in a thread about a game franchise you clearly don't like, and if they are it seems like you have still enough agency to ask for help

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
All these years later and the slide from the SM64 mountain level is still the best vidja game slide.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man I dunno, I don't think anybody's forcing you to keep posting in a thread about a game franchise you clearly don't like, and if they are it seems like you have still enough agency to ask for help

They said they improved the game. They added more weapons but the animations, combat and general gameplay all looks the same. Sorry for telling it like it is!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dpulex posted:

All these years later and the slide from the SM64 mountain level is still the best vidja game slide.

I went for getting 101 coins in every level, and I hated that slide so drat much since it locks you into the star, but it's where most of the coins in that level are, so...

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

JBP posted:

They said they improved the game. They added more weapons but the animations, combat and general gameplay all looks the same. Sorry for telling it like it is!

If this is the original game except a little better, I'm still buying day 1 and will enjoy it alot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ice Fist posted:

If this is the original game except a little better, I'm still buying day 1 and will enjoy it alot.

I liked the story and characters a lot, but if the game but isn't significantly improved I'll just wait and grab it on sale later this time. The footage of the combat didn't give me any confidence that the gameplay is any better.

More force powers could overcome a bit of that tho. FO could have used more space magic.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

JBP posted:

I liked the story and characters a lot, but if the game but isn't significantly improved I'll just wait and grab it on sale later this time. The footage of the combat didn't give me any confidence that the gameplay is any better.

More force powers could overcome a bit of that tho. FO could have used more space magic.

What in particular would you like to see improved?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

More titties imo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Variety of encounters. Responsiveness in combat and mechanical changes to make parrying and striking feel more satisfying. Cleaner sync kills and better combat animations generally. More titties. More rewarding exploration (not items or clothes, just more flavour will do me, the big crashed ship in FO was decent at offering an interesting side adventure).

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That would all be nice but more dongs imo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'll just add on the crashed ship in FO. The "rewards" for that being poncho or whatever make it feel kind of underwhelming and unfinished. The narrative element was ok and I hope it works as a foundation for new investigations and adventures off the beaten path. Seeing "bomber jacket" as a reward in the preview is cool because dress-ups are fun. It would be a good choice for the side adventures to hold a relic or force power you learn that is fun but not critical.

The game looks like it's taking cues from new god of war with the field hubs with stuff to do. It was always cool getting an item from side areas in gow that changed up your game a little and having a shorter narrative that you could knock off in a sitting.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Proper dressup options as rewards for exploration would be fun. I liked the costumes you could find in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

JBP posted:

I'll just add on the crashed ship in FO. The "rewards" for that being poncho or whatever make it feel kind of underwhelming and unfinished.

the reward was a health stim upgrade, basically the best upgrade in the game, and a force essence upgrade

Shalebridge Cradle fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 9, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

the reward was a health stim upgrade, basically the best upgrade in the game, and a force essence upgrade

Wow that's so cool. A health stim upgrade. Wow. Will be telling my friends about that one.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

JBP posted:

Wow that's so cool. A health stim upgrade. Wow. Will be telling my friends about that one.

what do you think video games are

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

what do you think video games are

The good ones do something more than the absolute most basic box ticking. Also by the time you get to that point you have enough health stims to cruise through the game on Jedi master easily.

In any case, thanks for informing me you get to press heal one more time. Not compelling. Another black mark.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

JBP posted:

The good ones do something more than the absolute most basic box ticking. Also by the time you get to that point you have enough health stims to cruise through the game on Jedi master easily.

In any case, thanks for informing me you get to press heal one more time. Not compelling. Another black mark.

well that are you get to explore an interesting environment and there is the whole story with the jedi and padawan escaping the clone troopers throughout the ship. it's not totally mindblowing, but the actual traversal of the ship is interesting, you get a story to go along with the journey, and you get a mechanical upgrade at the end. It's not some ubisoft paint by numbers bullshit

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

well that are you get to explore an interesting environment and there is the whole story with the jedi and padawan escaping the clone troopers throughout the ship. it's not totally mindblowing, but the actual traversal of the ship is interesting, you get a story to go along with the journey, and you get a mechanical upgrade at the end. It's not some ubisoft paint by numbers bullshit

Thanks for reiterating exactly what I said. I hoped they would do more of next time as I used the side quest as an example of something with narrative.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

JBP posted:

I'll just add on the crashed ship in FO. The "rewards" for that being poncho or whatever make it feel kind of underwhelming and unfinished. The narrative element was ok and I hope it works as a foundation for new investigations and adventures off the beaten path. Seeing "bomber jacket" as a reward in the preview is cool because dress-ups are fun. It would be a good choice for the side adventures to hold a relic or force power you learn that is fun but not critical.

The game looks like it's taking cues from new god of war with the field hubs with stuff to do. It was always cool getting an item from side areas in gow that changed up your game a little and having a shorter narrative that you could knock off in a sitting.

Yeah, this one I'll go with. Cal unlocking optional force powers or power upgrades as he discovers bits of his past that he'd suppressed would have been cool. Imagine he learns, say, force pull, but then he finds his old ship, relives some memories, remembers learning how to pull multiple objects at once, and boom, there's your 'pull the guns out of everybody's hands, not just one or two people's' upgrade unlocked. Not necessary to beat the game, but specifically rewards exploration and engagement in the story in an explicitly diegetic way.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pemLAodAMck
Enemy showcase with some footage thats new to me

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I'm playing through Fallen Order now for the first time and backed tracked to the crashed ship on Zeffo specifically for this upgrade, its been a fun adventure so far. But man, Taron Malicos was one of the hardest bosses I've encountered in a video game in years (I've never played a Souls game before so no point of reference there) and that fight told me I need more health/stims.

I'm building a new computer, and apparently got a voucher for Jedi Survivor for purchasing a Ryzen 9. So cool I get to play the sequel as soon as it comes out, looking forward to it!

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 11, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm playing through Fallen Order now for the first time and backed tracked to the crashed ship on Zeffo specifically for this upgrade, its been a fun adventure so far. But man, Taron Malicos was one of the hardest bosses I've encountered in a video game in years (I've never played a Souls game before so no point of reference there) and that fight told me I need more health/stims.

I'm building a new computer, and apparently got a voucher for Jedi Survivor for purchasing a Ryzen 9. So cool I get to play the sequel as soon as it comes out, looking forward to it!

It's kinda clever how the saber bosses are there to test how well you know the mechanics of the game

Malicos completely melts if you're adept at blocking
Nine leaves herself wide open after dodging her wide swings 3-4 times
Second...honestly doesn't really do much. She leaves herself open all the time and her only real dangers come from her grabs

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

It's kinda clever how the saber bosses are there to test how well you know the mechanics of the game

Malicos completely melts if you're adept at blocking
Nine leaves herself wide open after dodging her wide swings 3-4 times
Second...honestly doesn't really do much. She leaves herself open all the time and her only real dangers come from her grabs

Yea once I got blocking down with Malicos I was able to take him down…but it wasn’t easy and I barely survived. If you miss a block during any of his combos he is relentless and your health will melt away as he pummels you with his combo flurry.

Also I swear one of his attacks is heavy enough it staggers you momentarily even if you are blocking and that allows him to immediately follow up with a combo.

Probably where I was failing was not parrying properly. I never have really gotten the hang of it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Tearin' Malicious continuing the proud Star Wars tradition of really on the nose villain names.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Little more detail on the different saber stances, but the big news is that you can only equip two at a time and change them at meditation points. Honestly sounds a little restricting but have to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdwxdUOQctc

and here is some combat footage without any commentary over it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40SBUYUi8vw

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Honestly sounds a little restricting but have to see.

I mean, the first game just had the two stances, period. The double sabers was one single special attack that you didn't get til need the end of the game.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Little more detail on the different saber stances, but the big news is that you can only equip two at a time and change them at meditation points. Honestly sounds a little restricting but have to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdwxdUOQctc
At 4:15 the Scout Trooper's lower leg comes off. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't like the sound of that on first reaction, coming at it from something like Ghost of Tsushima where juggling all your stances on the fly is as important as the moves themselves. But I'm definitely gonna reserve any real judgment until seeing it in practice, maybe the restrictions fit better for whatever reason.

MMAgCh posted:

At 4:15 the Scout Trooper's lower leg comes off. :unsmith:

Lmao :yeshaha: