Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mrpwase posted:

As a big white :reject: thrash metal, punk rock and folk music enjoyer: holy gently caress you guys are old and crotchety

This is basically my thing. I am a dopey metal head & enjoyer of post-punk & weird droney & noise poo poo, and I absolutely am old and crotchety & out of touch. But I feel like you'd have to be actively working to avoid knowing what Beyonce looks like or Ariana Grande or Sam Smith or Ed Sheeran or whoever the gently caress. Like, I could point to 2 of the current singles top 10 artists in a lineup (Miley Cyrus & Taylor Swift) (I could do 9 out of the top 10 albums but then I'd hope even goons could recognise Bob Dylan, Eminem & Elton John)

Incidentally the album chart is deeply depressing. I know that only old people actually buy albums but how the gently caress is Rumours #26? Surely every old oval office with bad enough taste to like that middle of the road garbage already owns it, probably on at least 3 formats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Buncha old rear end men in this thread

My rear end is as old as the rest of me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Ariana Grande

Big ponytail/topknot jobby, lots of fake tan

quote:

Ed Sheeran

Ginger, loads of poo poo tattoos

Those I could pick out I’m pretty sure.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Big ponytail/topknot jobby, lots of fake tan

Ginger, poo poo

Those I could pick out I’m pretty sure.

Checks out, I think you have to surrender your Goon card now

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I think of juice packets with a man in a pith helmet when I think of Ariana Grande. Because these where prevalent in my childhood:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think of juice packets with a man in a pith helmet when I think of Ariana Grande. Because these where prevalent in my childhood:

Somehow I imagined the only things you had as a child were trees.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

Beyonce is that meme of a woman on stage in fishnets with a face like she was straining to get a week old turd shifted out of her rear end.

That meme was, in fact, Beyoncé.

mrpwase posted:

As a big white :reject: thrash metal, punk rock and folk music enjoyer: holy gently caress you guys are old and crotchety

Very much this. The best shows I was at in the last few months were (a) Lightning Bolt and (b) Carly Rae Jepsen, and CRJ was the funner night out. It's good to enjoy all the different noises

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm almost curious as to what a more emaciated and haggard Fox would look like, some kind of Shel Silverstein nightmare.

(In all likelihood he hasn't and is claiming he has so he can say "look it worked I'm fine" afterwards)

In other 'headline sounds like bullshit but the article sounds good' news:

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1622318629072019458?t=Ij7gLB66AUThr6Gn_lTOZw&s=19

quote:

Return tickets will be scrapped and new digital ticketing introduced under reforms of the British rail system expected to be announced this week.

The two-way tickets, which offer a discounted rate, will be replaced by “single-leg pricing” which will mean that the price of two singles will be the same as the current return fare, according to the Telegraph. The idea was trialled by London North East Railway (LNER) in 2020.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Starmer has said in PMQs that Putin (and his cronies) should be tried in the Hague for war crimes

Apparently it's only ok when our team starts illegal wars. Who knew?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also I'm guessing Rumours is back on the charts because Christine McVie just died? Plus poo poo absolutely slaps

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Starmer has said in PMQs that Putin (and his cronies) should be tried in the Hague for war crimes

Tbf Putin probably should face justice for his crimes, though I doubt he ever will.

This also applies to people Starmer apparently likes.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Back in the day this thread tricked me into listening Crass by saying they put out several quality tunes (they didn't) so yeah not knowing Beyonce makes sense

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Archaeology Hat posted:

Tbf Putin probably should face justice for his crimes, though I doubt he ever will.

Well, yes, that's the point really.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

Somehow I imagined the only things you had as a child were trees.

True there where lots of trees. Also a lake, lots of cousins my age. Grandparents and their farm was like 150 meters away. Lots of swimming on our own, lots of time spent in the woods or spent with my grandparents watching them do farm stuff.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Angrymog posted:

Someone will whinge because they didn't get plat before being voted out.

lmao remember when Angela Smith whined because she didn't get her shiny MP golden parachute because she tried to run to a safe lib dem seat and got owned?

The advertisement to be an MP should be that you get to fill your boots with as many bribes as you can get before running off to get a fake job on the board of a company that does money laundering for the drug cartels. Drop the kayfabe about it being a public service and just be open about how much corruption you can fit in this bad boy.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Filthy lucre

https://twitter.com/direthoughts/status/1623295434167840768?s=46&t=95YBfnwINJPPIIwXmfYNwA

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you can't recognise Bootylicious or Single Ladies then you must not have crawled out from under a rock since 2000

I could recognise them as hers but couldn't name them. Single ladies I could probably guess from the lyrics.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Gorn Myson posted:

Back in the day this thread tricked me into listening Crass by saying they put out several quality tunes (they didn't) so yeah not knowing Beyonce makes sense

They put out several quality* manifestoes and rants set to music*, some of which are good if you're in the right mood

Lungboy posted:

I could recognise them as hers but couldn't name them. Single ladies I could probably guess from the lyrics.

:lol: Probably

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mrpwase posted:

They put out several quality* manifestoes and rants set to music*, some of which are good if you're in the right mood

Crass more like Crapp

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I don't think Chat GPT has read this thread.

quote:

write a somethingawful.com uk megathread post

Title: The Ultimate UK Something Awful Megathread

Hello fellow UK SA goons,

It's time to bring together all the great threads, discussions, and memes from our little corner of the internet into one megathread. Whether it's discussing the latest in UK politics, showing off our favorite local landmarks, or sharing our favorite British slang, let's come together and show the rest of the world what makes the UK SA community so great.

Here are a few suggestions for topics to get the ball rolling:

The best places to get a pint of real ale in your town
British TV shows that the rest of the world should know about
UK slang that leaves our American friends scratching their heads
Your favorite UK bands and musicians
The best British food and cuisine
So go ahead and share your thoughts, opinions, and jokes in this thread. Let's make it the best UK SA megathread yet!

Cheers,

[Your username here]

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, it doesn't even start "what are you blokes thoughts on"

2/10

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

rich peope really like giving money away but only to other rich people

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Regarde Aduck posted:

rich peope really like giving money away but only to other rich people

Yknow what else they like? That's right - giving handjobs to dogs

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Sounds like ''Ask the United Kingdom'' on Reddit to me. :manning:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

forkboy84 posted:

This is basically my thing. I am a dopey metal head & enjoyer of post-punk & weird droney & noise poo poo, and I absolutely am old and crotchety & out of touch. But I feel like you'd have to be actively working to avoid knowing what Beyonce looks like or Ariana Grande or Sam Smith or Ed Sheeran or whoever the gently caress.
I don't watch TV and my son's at an age when all he watches are YouTube videos of Minecraft and Super Mario, so I don't have any exposure to new-ish music. I'm sure in 5 or 6 years when he starts taking an interest that I'll discover all kinds of new acts (to hate).

Looking at the top 40, there are three artists I actually have a song by (Pink, Shakira and Calvin Harris), six more I've at least heard of (Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, Lewis Capaldi, Drake, Stormzy and Sam Smith) even if I couldn't name any of their songs other than that really boring Bond theme, and the rest are a collection of Whoooooooo?s. I just don't care any more. :smith:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This keeps happening!

https://twitter.com/EllisGenge/status/1270341731519692801

Why is this news:

I don't care if he's taking a full pineapple enema.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

bessantj posted:

Why is this news:

I don't care if he's taking a full pineapple enema.

It's news because the media loves amplifying and laundering the actions and opinions of miserable white reactionaries

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

It's news because the media loves amplifying and laundering the actions and opinions of miserable white reactionaries

It has to be said he really does come across as miserable.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

bessantj posted:

It has to be said he really does come across as miserable.

Which is some small comfort, to be sure

Nevertheless

Barry Foster posted:

hope it kills him

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I would very much like to know what GPT thinks are some good examples of British slang that leaves our American friends scratching their heads, please

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

TACD posted:

I would very much like to know what GPT thinks are some good examples of British slang that leaves our American friends scratching their heads, please

Sometimes we like to say things like 'fisking' and 'trussay'

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

"There's a cat there too you know?"

Why is Sunak smaller in this picture, but an inch or two taller than Zelinski in the official handshake shoto?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Archaeology Hat posted:

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1608734637823508482?t=nA_STc1vfz5nItrgYCkYWQ&s=19

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

TACD posted:

quote:

Here are some common examples of British slang that can confuse American friends:

"Brolly" - an umbrella
"Bob's your uncle" - a phrase used to indicate that something is very simple
"Cheers" - a general expression of gratitude, also used as a farewell
"Fag" - a cigarette, not a derogatory term for a gay person
"Blimey" - an expression of surprise
"Bants" - playful banter or teasing
"Chuffed" - pleased or satisfied
"Kip" - a nap or sleep
"Loo" - a toilet
"Mate" - a friend, used as a term of address.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Bug Squash posted:

Why is Sunak smaller in this picture, but an inch or two taller than Zelinski in the official handshake shoto?

One of them is small, the other one is far away.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

(I could do 9 out of the top 10 albums but then I'd hope even goons could recognise Bob Dylan, Eminem & Elton John)
I recognise all of those people

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

The best shows I was at in the last few months were (a) Lightning Bolt
I saw Lightning Bolt at ArctanGent festival last year, extremely fun :).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
To be fair, I'm not sure that's a good argument. At least early in the early Blair years, trying to make Russia friend not foe was a reasonable course of action. The fair criticism is that it took too long to react when it wasn't working instead of being addicted to their fossil fuels.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

To be fair, I'm not sure that's a good argument. At least early in the early Blair years, trying to make Russia friend not foe was a reasonable course of action. The fair criticism is that it took too long to react when it wasn't working instead of being addicted to their fossil fuels.

The argument is that they're both as bad as each other. Yeltsin and then Putin were happy to be on the West's side looting Russia, until the West asked too much in terms of subservience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If God is a dude show me his dick

I mean that's what defines gender right, that's what all the terfs obsess about?

Show me it then. Show me God's dick.