Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The mascot should've been a Steam Duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

My deck is showing up Thursday, has anyone played Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines on one? Very much want to replay that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Isn't that why they tell you to put batteries in your carry on? So in the event they do catch fire it'll be noticed and dealt with unlike if it was stuck in cargo.

Yep. Planes have equipment to put it out as long as it's in the cabin and accessible. I don't expect they'll change anything. The only way to prevent it is to not allow people to bring electronics at all which uh, I doubt.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. Planes have equipment to put it out as long as it's in the cabin and accessible. I don't expect they'll change anything. The only way to prevent it is to not allow people to bring electronics at all which uh, I doubt.

True but they could reduce the size of the portable batteries you could bring on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MarcusSA posted:

True but they could reduce the size of the portable batteries you could bring on.

Just about every airline has the 100 Wh standard, I don't think one is just going to reduce it out of nowhere after a single incident. It wasn't a portable battery that caught fire anyway.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Just about every airline has the 100 Wh standard, I don't think one is just going to reduce it out of nowhere. It wasn't a portable battery that caught fire anyway.

Most of the stories are saying it was an external battery pack. CNN didn't specify.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Only one I saw said it was a laptop battery.

Anyway it doesn't matter. They change stuff when there's a pattern, like those Samsung phones that kept blowing up.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 8, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol @ this advice

quote:

Rezende added that the more charged a battery is, the more flammable it can be. He recommends flying with batteries charged at 30% or below.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

njsykora posted:

"We regret to inform you that the Steam Duck is racist."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

new zealanders buying the Stim Dick

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
apparently signed for and delivered means scribbling a signature and leaving it at the front door but otherwise got my stoom dook, updated and charging, desk job was a fun short little experience

I like how the box tells you all the places you can use it but I wouldn't recommend the test chamber personally

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

My deck is showing up Thursday, has anyone played Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines on one? Very much want to replay that.

Someone has, but getting it working with the official patch looks like a PITA.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It really helps that this is the comfiest handheld I have handheld.

The other day though, I bought something and the deck restarted. Plus the day before, I quit a game and it never brought the screen back. Holding the steam button down would show the overlay, but choosing any option went back to the dark screen. You could hear me pressing buttons because the sound worked, it was just as if the screen was stuck showing a black picture. It was on because the menu would appear.

Both these have me worried because I love this little gizmo and do not want it to break!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Only one I saw said it was a laptop battery.

Anyway it doesn't matter. They change stuff when there's a pattern, like those Samsung phones that kept blowing up.

The Note 7 actually had batteries that were faulty from the factory (rather than anything that affected most other devices or needed to be "changed.")

MarcusSA posted:

lol @ this advice

To be fair, it does reference a real thing, in that a more energized Lithium battery that's punctured can go into thermal runaway. You can't meaningfully use many devices at on 30% state-of-charge, however, so it's not a real solution.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Tried a few Steam Fest demos on the Deck. Gonna give a big recommendation Tape to Tape, a great-looking nhl9- esque rogue-lite. A lot of fun and plays flawlessly on the Deck too.

I also tried The Last Case of Benedict Fox, but it had significant FPS issues. Hopefully, they can optimize in time for launch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

lol @ this advice

*taps mic* Hi, I’m noted science understander Rezende

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

new zealanders buying the Stim Dick

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I worked the tech support desk at a computer retailer for a while and someone once handed me a laptop battery and asked if it felt charged, because a charged battery would weigh more than a flat one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I remember electric car people saying that back when those were new as well, people get real weird about batteries.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

njsykora posted:

I remember electric car people saying that back when those were new as well, people get real weird about batteries.

Battery janitoring is a tried and true tradition regardless of what it is. I keep my car at 80% it’s just good science.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

I worked the tech support desk at a computer retailer for a while and someone once handed me a laptop battery and asked if it felt charged, because a charged battery would weigh more than a flat one.
This one's just true though.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Give it the bounce test like some AAs.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Horn posted:

Has anyone tried running Freespace open on the deck? Its always been on my to-play list and I'm wondering how well that would work with the deck's control setup.

I haven't tried that game but if you're willing to watch a youtube tutorial etc and experiment, the Edit Controller Layout functionality is incredibly powerful

These are the default controls for Mechwarrior 3:

I was able to comfortably fit 80% of those (didn't bother with "look around cockpit" or "jumpjet left" etc bc I never use those) on the Deck using virtual menus etc. Radial menus seem popular but I hate those so mine are hotbars. I have menus for Lancemates, View/Radar, and Power and toggle them by holding down the X or Y button. Trackpad handles the crosshairs and you can adjust the sensitivity etc.

If you're not sure about controls, give it a shot! You'd be amazed what this machine lets you pull off.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

Someone has, but getting it working with the official patch looks like a PITA.

Bummer, but maybe I’ll give it a shot.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Lemme know if this is verboten, but has anyone had luck getting Fire Emblem engage running nicely on the deck? It kinda runs ok with Yuzu but the portraits are squashed and it stutters a lot in larger areas and in menus.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Switch emulation is hit-or-miss depending on the title. Some titles Yuzu on the Deck runs better than the Switch, others it can't even launch.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like this because it is 100% true a charged battery weighs more, but you would need one hell of a scale to tell the difference.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

Lemme know if this is verboten, but has anyone had luck getting Fire Emblem engage running nicely on the deck? It kinda runs ok with Yuzu but the portraits are squashed and it stutters a lot in larger areas and in menus.

You could try Ryujinx, sometimes when a game doesn't work well on Yuzu it might work in Ryujinx.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I went a lil wild this week and bought 2 jsaux docks, bringing me up to a total of 3, now I can play at my desk, on the TV or in the bedroom and the deck is always fully charged when I want to play somewhere other than that.

Loving it!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Aardvark Barber posted:

I went a lil wild this week and bought 2 jsaux docks, bringing me up to a total of 3, now I can play at my desk, on the TV or in the bedroom and the deck is always fully charged when I want to play somewhere other than that.

Loving it!
might as well just buy it again

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Grand Fromage posted:

I like this because it is 100% true a charged battery weighs more, but you would need one hell of a scale to tell the difference.

The same is true of a floppy disk that's full vs one that was formatted.

The difference is in fractions of a nanogram or some poo poo, but it's there.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

njsykora posted:

I've been calling my friends Cleveland SteamDeckers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a youtube channel for the Steam Deck thats something like Bob Wulff or NintendoLife is for the Switch?

I am seeing a ton of shakycam videos of the reflection of the phone in the deck screen with like 19 views.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ok, you know when you try to force quit a game and it doesn't? i think i just figured out that it's trying to show you a dialog box. but it can't because steamos doesn't really have windows. the question is how to alt tab to that dialog box? alt-tab works... sometimes? but i don't think for this specifically. my switch pro controller's select button does an alternate tab/window display thing for some reason, but it's not alt-tab it's something that's similar to alt tab.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So far, when I've wanted to install non-steam games, they were all games that came with some sort of online guide. I've never just looked at an old game and thought to myself "I'll 100% add this and get it to work."

Until now.

I want to run Capture the Flag on the deck, and I think I know how to do it, but I'm not sure.

1. Go into desktop mode
2. Download and extract the game to a location.
3. Go into the desktop version of steam and add the game's executable as a non-steam game.
4. Go back to steam deck mode, and mess around with the compatibility from there until something works. And then edit the controls accordingly.

Does that sound reasonable? Or should I just install DOSbox and go from there?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Chas McGill posted:

Yuzu is garbage. Use Ryujinx

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So far, when I've wanted to install non-steam games, they were all games that came with some sort of online guide. I've never just looked at an old game and thought to myself "I'll 100% add this and get it to work."

Until now.

I want to run Capture the Flag on the deck, and I think I know how to do it, but I'm not sure.

1. Go into desktop mode
2. Download and extract the game to a location.
3. Go into the desktop version of steam and add the game's executable as a non-steam game.
4. Go back to steam deck mode, and mess around with the compatibility from there until something works. And then edit the controls accordingly.

EmuDeck. Same way you'd add a SNES game or something. Plop into DOS folder, run steam rom manager, play from game mode. Or just run retroarch directly.

Retroarch has two different dosbox versions installed, I don't know the diff. Both worked for me.

Vic fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 8, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's straight-up a DOS game right?

You'll need to use DOSBox one way or another. Probably the easiest way is to install DOSBox-X, and add DOSBox-X as a non-Steam game. If you want a separate Steam icon for Capture the Flag you could add DOSBox-X again, but change the "flatpak run" command to automatically run the DOS executable.

If it was a Steam-native game that Steam runs through DOSBox (probably the Windows version via Proton) you could use Boxtron as a compatibility layer alternative to use Proton DOSBox. You'd still install the DOSBox-X flatpak, then edit your ~/.config/boxtron.conf to issue the correct flatpak run command, which is probably something like:
code:
cmd = LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 flatpak run --filesystem=%install_dir% com.dosbox_x.DOSBox-X
or you might need a shell script to do it to include the LD_PRELOAD. I haven't done it myself, so I'm piecing that together from from this issue.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 8, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a youtube channel for the Steam Deck thats something like Bob Wulff or NintendoLife is for the Switch?

I am seeing a ton of shakycam videos of the reflection of the phone in the deck screen with like 19 views.

I really like Nerd Nest, but I also watch Fan the Deck. RetroGameCorps has some Deck videos, but they're more focused on all portable PC things.

JSAUX sent out an email to people who ordered their transparent back that new colors are coming soon and attached this:

Some nice rear end colors. They also said that anyone that ordered previously can use the code "PC0106" to get $10 off for a new cover. Dunno if that'll work with new orders but whatever. The new colors aren't up for order yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Playing Darkest Dungeon for the first time on the deck and accidentally deleted all the loot from killing the Fanatic for the first time because the A and B buttons are reversed on the Deck.

Two people dead and the other traumatized forever for nothing :negative: