Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Incredible https://twitter.com/chronowerks/status/1623129871168700418

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

of course jerry seinfeld wouldn't wanna be on milf island

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Risutora posted:

squib game

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Risutora posted:

squib game

lol

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

loquacius posted:

of course jerry seinfeld wouldn't wanna be on milf island

:boom:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Patient zero for 80's nostalgia was The Wedding Singer, released in 1998 and set in 1985.

Just imagine a movie released this year set in 2010 that sets off a wave of nostalgia for the 2010's

The Wedding Singer kicks rear end

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

The Wedding Singer is definitely in there with Happy Gilmore as one of the good Adam Sandler movies.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

did gilmore age well? I figure billy madison doesn't hold up either

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Wedding Singer is Adam Sandler's best movie and yes I'm counting Uncut Gems and the one by the Magnolia guy

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Happy Gilmore is the second best Adam Sandler movie

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
haven't watched uncut gems because everyone says it's an anxiety fest and i'm doing fine creating my own anxiety

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

haven't watched uncut gems because everyone says it's an anxiety fest and i'm doing fine creating my own anxiety

the people who say that are wimps, op

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

I have anxiety issues and it was fun like a rollercoaster

if you start watching it and can't handle it, no shame in dipping out cuz that's just what it's gonna do for the next 90 minutes

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

“oh Uncut Gems gave me so much anxiety” - people who can’t look the grub hub person in the eye

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Good Time is a bit more relentless imo but yeah I wouldn't let that keep me from watching either movie. They're great.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

also I'm convinced that the people saying Uncut Gems gave them anxiety have unresolved trauma related to their work phone

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

“oh Uncut Gems gave me so much anxiety” - people who can’t look the grub hub person in the eye

yeah some people have really bad anxiety

i'm not at that level but it's not really something to mock

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

always helpful to remember if you're getting to anxious or scared or whatever reaction........... it's just a movie

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

i say swears online posted:

did gilmore age well? I figure billy madison doesn't hold up either

Both of those hold up well.

Wait, I don't know how the maid in Billy Madison plays to Gen Z. I still think she's funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a5sEY319JQ

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Feb 8, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Happy Gilmore is the second best Adam Sandler movie

The line "you will go to sleep or I will put you to sleep" has stuck with me since I was a kid

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

always helpful to remember if you're getting to anxious or scared or whatever reaction........... it's just a movie

Wes Craven was ahead of his time

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

The line "you will go to sleep or I will put you to sleep" has stuck with me since I was a kid

and YOU can count... on me waiting for you in the parking lot

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Good Time is a bit more relentless imo but yeah I wouldn't let that keep me from watching either movie. They're great.

good times is the straight up better movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

and YOU can count... on me waiting for you in the parking lot

Ooooooo run shooter!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I need to get to good time, I really liked uncut gems

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
You eat pieces of poo poo for breakfast?!?!?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

I need to get to good time, I really liked uncut gems

if your library offers Kanopy it's on there (for FREE)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

You eat pieces of poo poo for breakfast?!?!?

what's the basis?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I feel like Christopher McDonald could’ve been an Oscar worthy actor but he was just too good at playing bad guys in goofy comedy movies

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

if your library offers Kanopy it's on there (for FREE)

Kanopy is the greatest

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I feel like Christopher McDonald could’ve been an Oscar worthy actor but he was just too good at playing bad guys in goofy comedy movies

Flubber lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Grey Fox posted:

also I'm convinced that the people saying Uncut Gems gave them anxiety have unresolved trauma related to their work phone

yes and

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Kanopy is the greatest

the 5 "credits" per month thing is stupid bullshit, but otherwise yes, can't believe they got all the wiseman docs on there for free, so amazing

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

galagazombie posted:

90’s nostalgia could work because it’s the last decade to have a unique aesthetic and cultural “vibe” or “mood”. I think the reason we don’t get it is that the same boomers and gen x are in charge as 30 years ago and they just won’t have the decency to die. So we while we might get algorithm driven reboots and cash ins of individual IP’s from the 90’s (Power Rangers, Matrix 4, etc) we’re never going to get something cashing in on the decade itself. The post 9/11 decades don’t even have unique aesthetics from each other to get nostalgic for one over the other. The 00’s, 10’s, and so far the 20’s have all shared pretty much the same stuff between them. Sure the names change but the current is still the same.

it think of it as a decade with competing vibes, distinct grunge/hip hop/raprock/preppy/goth/computer nerd/etc would be kinda hard to incorporate into one show or movie, you'd have to cater to one or two. I know the 70s were similar but there was such a singular cultural narrative at the time and about that time in retrospect, but that started to fracture in the 90s

Ardennes posted:

I would say a lot of is just the end of history and that culture itself became marketed to death that originality really wasn’t possible anymore.

I think part of it is that people began to realize that you don't have to be One Thing and can treat culture more like a buffet to pick up whichever parts you like. in the 90s if you were into Kid Rock and Eminem you believed you couldn't like the Spice Girls, and if you did and your friends found out you'd get mercilessly roasted. that sort of policing doesn't seem to exist so much anymore, at least judging secondhand from my nephew's experience

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the 5 "credits" per month thing is stupid bullshit, but otherwise yes, can't believe they got all the wiseman docs on there for free, so amazing

I get 10 :smug:

It’s stupid expensive for libraries tho which is why a lot can only afford so many credits if they can afford it at all

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I think the internet made the kids more 'leftist' in a sense that the only hatred that is validated is hatred for our broken capitalist system.

when I was a kid I called a movie 'gay' to my mom and she asked me to explain and i said 'gay just means bad mom idk why, don't be so jewish' and she was like jesus christ the kids are not alright. but the pendulum has swung thanks to internet bullying of bigotry

much like how posting in LF I was ruthlessly bullied until I accepted marxism leninsm. and now look at me

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its weird that feminism has become a subset of media criticism, that the spike TV WOW THIS BIKINI BITCH IS COVERED IN MUD type poo poo is extinct as the dodo yet social media is full of women showing their own body and that's extremely normalized

that's probably a failure point of this generation's culture, thirst trap blah blah blah

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Risutora posted:

squib game

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Antonymous posted:

its weird that feminism has become a subset of media criticism, that the spike TV WOW THIS BIKINI BITCH IS COVERED IN MUD type poo poo is extinct as the dodo yet social media is full of women showing their own body and that's extremely normalized

that's probably a failure point of this generation's culture, thirst trap blah blah blah

gen z kids hate sex though

all the onlyfans subscribers are millennials (me specifically)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted: