Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The US army is just as corrupt as any organization.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-fort-hoods-prostitution-ring

Women were being turned into prostitutes for the officers and when one of them complained some random black guy got labeled a pimp and took the fall for it. And that was like more than 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

genericnick posted:

Lmao at the epic troop

The whole time I kept thinking he got fed this stuff as a limited hangout

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

skooma512 posted:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/30/navy-seals-drug-use-shows-mission-toll-on-special-/

They use drugs to keep up with a high operational tempo (of murders), and then when they don't have anything to do... they still use drugs like crazy.

So grunts drum out of the military still eating tons of pizza and get fat, while specops drums out of Afghanistan and can't stop doing drugs in front of their kids.

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
mark's gonna be asking guests 10 years from now if they too were blindsided when russia invaded ukraine

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

hadji murad posted:

what’s the ally thought to be?

Britain 100%

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

The whole time I kept thinking he got fed this stuff as a limited hangout

Comes across like a liar imo

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1614316021073985545

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
now that i noticed think I posted the above tweet on the wrong thread lol

runaway pancake posted:

mark's gonna be asking guests 10 years from now if they too were blindsided when russia invaded ukraine

I'm listening to the latest episode and lol like ofc this ex ranger won't say it was the US blowing the pipeline, mark

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The invasion caught them completely off guard, and it feels likes Ames and Dolan have been trying to hedge their bets since. I hope they go back to normal soon.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

'That's not the way the world really works anymore,' he continued. 'We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors...and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do'

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Newsletter on Belarus is pretty interesting

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I am watching Neon Genesis Evangelion and wonder if John enjoyed the scene where the gruff navy captain is mad that Nerv get all the government grant money instead of the navy.

snoremac has issued a correction as of 06:50 on Jan 29, 2023

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Why is it impossible for John and his wife to get permanent residency anywhere?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think they are a mixture of extremely bad at paperwork and extremely naive with the bureaucracies that handle it, which is a death combo for immigration paperwork. Perfect at paperwork and it's fine, everything goes as planned. Good at dealing with bureaucracies and when they reject you you can get a decent answer on what to fix. They seem to do the paperwork poorly then when they are told no they just say "oh ok, next country".

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
do they have any income besides the pod? that prob doesn't help neither

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
And that this point they have a global history of bad paperwork that follows them around.

They could move back to the US and Katherine could easily get a conditional green card shortly afterwards, but I don't blame them for not wanting to live here.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you'd think that with all the friends they have all over the shop, someone would be able to help them out. but alas, they are doomed to roam the lands searching for off-season holiday resorts at reasonable rates!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I can see John being way too truthful on his visa applications and interviews.

Protip: hire an immigration lawyer

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think there have been people helping them, but ultimately with immigration paperwork you have to be the mover on it and they just don't really try to push anything through. The Irish citizenship debacle always stood out to me since I'm somewhat familiar with that system. Their lawyer was getting frustrated with them for not actually acting, and then finally their reason for not pursuing it was that their application was initially denied because there was no Irish Civil Birth Certificate provided - They just need to be able to show a Church record, baptism record, etc, or basically any documentation of the person living in Ireland as a child, but instead they just moved on and dropped it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

brugroffil posted:

Why is it impossible for John and his wife to get permanent residency anywhere?

hes part of the cia

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's too bad they seemed like they were having a blast living in Italy, even if John almost died after locking himself in a hippy grocery store bathroom.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnimeIsTrash posted:

hes part of the cia

yea Chronically Injured Adults

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
yeah not disagreeing with thread consensus and I think they'll settle eventually, but: there is something weird that happens to us when we get old where it's easier to do what we've been doing our whole lives, even if what we've been doing is loving up and objectively much more difficult than what most people do.

edit: he wasn't always "loving up", of course, he was moving job to job. I just mean even when you want to change course later in life sometimes it takes a few gently caress ups to stick. A normal person would be desperate to make sure the paperwork worked out so they didn't have to uproot their entire life, he's kind of just going through the motions because moving is what he's used to.

pangstrom has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Jan 31, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah i think the big issue is that either john or catherine or both of them don't want to live in the us. they've been married long enough that there shouldn't be any "married for papers" obstacles or suspicion in the way of getting her a green card. can't really blame them i suppose, too bad about italy.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
“The Butterbean of tanks”

John:

“Oh yeah”

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

crepeface posted:

yea Chronically Injured Adults

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Just listened to the Andrew Cockburn interview and now I'm real mad. Lmao if Trump runs on opposing the Ukraine war. He'll get ratfucked and/or assassinated

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Nothus posted:

Just listened to the Andrew Cockburn interview and now I'm real mad. Lmao if Trump runs on opposing the Ukraine war. He'll get ratfucked and/or assassinated

why would he get assassinated? he ran on plenty of things that they just didnt bother doing. if he won and tried to end the war they could just not do that, and he'd be distracted from it by the end of the week.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Nothus posted:

here comes the piss tape

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fabergay egg posted:

why would he get assassinated? he ran on plenty of things that they just didnt bother doing. if he won and tried to end the war they could just not do that, and he'd be distracted from it by the end of the week.

lol yeah. like he tried to pull out of afghanistan and the generals slow walked it until he got distracted by dress that reminded him of a party in the 80's that he was snubbed at

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
its a trip to realise that Andrew Cockburn's daughter is Olivia Wilde lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol it's that andrew cockburn? i knew about her real name and how she grew up in high society

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

swimsuit posted:

lmao what that's wild

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

lmao what that's wilde

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

swimsuit posted:

Related to the guy who set the White House on fire too iirc

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

swimsuit posted:

his wife ran for congress in 2018 and lost to the bigfoot erotica guy

a big issue in the campaign was her and Andrew's 1991 book that showed the US had helped Israel develop nukes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
lmao
poor john and mark, they can't win

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

if he works at wapo can't he just drink ~foreign policy truths~ straight from the spigot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"they couldn't possibly have done this, because it would be an insanely stupid thing to do!"

Nevertheless,