Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

I never forgave Sierra for cancelling the first attempt. :colbert:

I'm glad they are dead, they deserved it for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I actually enjoyed Midnight Nation! That came out right after Rising Stars which was also great. RS was abandoned and then picked back up, wasn't it? MN was just abandoned? I can't remember it was so long ago, just my positive feelings towards those books

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Soonmot posted:

I actually enjoyed Midnight Nation! That came out right after Rising Stars which was also great. RS was abandoned and then picked back up, wasn't it? MN was just abandoned? I can't remember it was so long ago, just my positive feelings towards those books

There was some dispute that led to the last three issues of Rising Stars being delayed for almost two years, but it and Midnight Nation were both completed.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah, I have the Midnight Nation collected graphic novel and it's a complete story. I should reread it; it's been a while and I like it a lot.

You definitely see some of JMS's commonly used and explored ideas.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1621622524474978306

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1623190486470238210?s=46&t=9luuFFu-Ux-tTZpmeH66Qg

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
staying true to the original series there at least

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Didn't the news to renew after Season 4 come late because of all the drama with PTEN falling apart and the last minute move to TNT?

Seems like a similar thing is happening at WB and CW where everything's on fire and nothing is certain.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
The ending of that post really works if you kind of read it in Zathras's voice.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Well, the man obviously knows more about the TV biz than I do (and probably than anyone here), so I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Still, it strikes me as odd that his point boils down to "there's no such thing as a project getting stuck forever in development hell". Maybe that's more of a movie-biz thing? :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Well, the man obviously knows more about the TV biz than I do (and probably than anyone here), so I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Still, it strikes me as odd that his point boils down to "there's no such thing as a project getting stuck forever in development hell". Maybe that's more of a movie-biz thing? :shrug:

A project stuck in Development Hell is still technically in development. JMS is right, if only pedantically so, that a project is ultimately either completed or abandoned and until it's been abandoned it may yet be completed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:yeshaha:

I can't wait, I've been itching for a rewatch for a while

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can believe JMS when he talks about like standard business practice, but I also don't think you can trust Warner/Disco to act according to standard business practices because it's being run by a lunatic.

But also we will know when the project is sunk because JMS will go on a loving tirade.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Just Another Lurker posted:

I never forgave Sierra for cancelling the first attempt. :colbert:

Didn't that get released? I remember playing a B5 game. It had real physics and it was an absolute monster to play. You were a psi cop I think?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Incelshok Na posted:

Didn't that get released? I remember playing a B5 game. It had real physics and it was an absolute monster to play. You were a psi cop I think?

That was probably the fan made Babylon 5: I've Found Her (flying is hard).

Psi Corp never caught me. :ninja:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/B5News/status/1628258565503741954

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Happy 30th!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

30 years of hanging out with my friends londo and vir

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I never thought i'd see it but someone hates the S3 opening sequence in the blind watch thread.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

CainFortea posted:

I never thought i'd see it but someone hates the S3 opening sequence in the blind watch thread.
:psyduck:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

CainFortea posted:

A statistical anomaly at the least. :shrug:

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

It was their last, best hope for good taste.

They failed.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Watched Moments of Transition yesterday, which in addition to being a big Plot Episode is also memorable for being the episode where Scott Adams, at the peak of his nineties comic stardom, makes a cameo as a guy paranoid about his dog and cat trying to hire Garibaldi.

I bet him and Jerry Doyle had some fun politics conversations once the cameras were off.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/_mrpussy/status/1629950604838678530

The condition he had the surgery to address didn't show up until 2004 so they probably didn't have much to talk about.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/_mrpussy/status/1629950604838678530

The condition he had the surgery to address didn't show up until 2004 so they probably didn't have much to talk about.

Deleted already - what idiocy was that?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Zaroff posted:

Well, he was saying that Scott Adams's friends noted that Scott Adams only started down the road to the right wing after getting experimental brain surgery for a strange rare neurological disorder.

He also linked an article about the surgery that's still up, although that article didn't comment on any political views.

https://www.brainandlife.org/articles/spasmodic-dysphonia-rendered-dilbert-creator-scott-adams-nearly-speechless-for

It's an interesting possible explanation for why he went so far off the deep end, and apparently it's not uncommon for people to end up drifting to the far right after brain injuries. Although there are plenty of people who went off the deep end at around the same time without brain damage as an excuse.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Zaroff posted:

A claim that Scott Adams had some kind of neurological(?) condition which made it incredibly difficult to speak without extensively rehearsing what he was going to say, and that he had some kind of brain surgery to change this, and that his slide into whacko politics only really happened after that. There was some allusion to the surgery being akin to a lobotomy, but no details about the name of the procedure or the condition, so I can't really look anything up. (I'm very curious about cognitive things like that, but also very distressed by ... you know, cognitive things like that, when we're talking brain surgery to alter behavior.)

eta: Thanks for the link!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The tweet also mentioned that Adams went to a lot of doctors and none of them would do it. Some even suggested that the condition was physiological in nature. However, Adam’s kept going to different doctors until he found one to do the surgery.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kept going to different doctors until he found one that didn't go "You know, when I can't talk, you know what always makes me feel better? Reading some good old Dilbert strips"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vavrek posted:

A claim that Scott Adams had some kind of neurological(?) condition which made it incredibly difficult to speak without extensively rehearsing what he was going to say, and that he had some kind of brain surgery to change this, and that his slide into whacko politics only really happened after that.

He made no secret of being a libertarian whacko in his books long before the surgery.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Data Graham posted:

Kept going to different doctors until he found one that didn't go "You know, when I can't talk, you know what always makes me feel better? Reading some good old Dilbert strips"

I liked Dilbert :shobon: it was one of the better crappy mass market comics.

I also like his rubric for comedy, which was something like 'pick two out of cute, clever, recognisable, mean, bizarre, rude', and I use his advice for writing dialogue all the time (roughly, people often don't talk to each other, they talk around each other).

It's a pity his brain exploded

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Timby posted:

He made no secret of being a libertarian whacko in his books long before the surgery.

:shrug:

I was attempting to recount what I remembered of the deleted tweet, nothing more.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
he was always a libertarian whackjob prone to magical thinking but he did turn meaner as he's gotten older, and i've seen people take hard right turns after head injuries so it's not outside the realm of possibility

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CainFortea posted:

I think the opening sequence is one of the best, with that memorable line from Ivanova just being very iconic. I didn't like that the second half didn't feature the B5 music we heard in the openings of seasons 1 and 2 (and later season 4). Season 3 had the second best first half of all openings, but the weakest second half. Personally, I'd rate the season openings 5>4>3>2>1.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

neongrey posted:

he was always a libertarian whackjob prone to magical thinking but he did turn meaner as he's gotten older, and i've seen people take hard right turns after head injuries so it's not outside the realm of possibility

He said in a later tweet that he'd lost two pre-Dilbert jobs because of racism, so if the surgery did anything it only made him less able to shut up

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I think the opening sequence is one of the best, with that memorable line from Ivanova just being very iconic. I didn't like that the second half didn't feature the B5 music we heard in the openings of seasons 1 and 2 (and later season 4). Season 3 had the second best first half of all openings, but the weakest second half. Personally, I'd rate the season openings 5>4>3>2>1.

That's the first time anyone's rated B5 S5 ha the best for anything.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

That's the first time anyone's rated B5 S5 ha the best for anything.

Best show ending/final episode?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, yeah, I've been watching B5 on Tubi, it's been pretty great TBH

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Iron Crowned posted:

So, yeah, I've been watching B5 on Tubi, it's been pretty great TBH

We have a no-spoilers thread if you’d like to chat about it without having yourself spoiled. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925635

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chevy Slyme posted:

We have a no-spoilers thread if you’d like to chat about it without having yourself spoiled. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925635

Oh, I've seen it before, but it's been a while, other than the odd episode here and there when it was on Comet a few years back.