Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
There's a video I can't find at the moment of Louis CK(I know I know) where he talks about how the executives completely shut him out of the editing process of Pootie Tang. It's pretty interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Field Mousepad posted:

There's a video I can't find at the moment of Louis CK(I know I know) where he talks about how the executives completely shut him out of the editing process of Pootie Tang. It's pretty interesting.

As many times as I've seen the movie (I know I know), I had no idea Louis CK was involved. TIL.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Strange wilderness was good. I need more Steve zahn in my life

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Nihonniboku posted:

Yup! It's the name of the movie, with the rest of the title of the book put in spoiler tags because it's a pretty big spoiler. It stars Jim Parsons, Ben Aldridge, and Sally Field. The book is a memoir by tv critic Michael Ausiello about his love story with his husband Kit. It's a real tearjerker.

I mean the synopsis says that it's based on a true story about a guy with terminal cancer so unless he recovers and lives a long, fulfilling life but then, suprise! it was actually a Harvey Weinstein biopic! I'm not sure the spoiler tags are necessary.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Jonah Hill was really funny in his early career, in bit parts (Accepted, Grandma's Boy) but got less funny over time. Grandma's Boy is particularly terrible but Hill has some funny lines and he's the funniest character in Accepted.

I still use "Hope you got your hobo stab insurance" all the time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i put on shrinking. they do the trope where the dad is trying to connect with his kids by making a big breakfast and they just leave with a pop tart

harrison ford calls jason segel a dipshit so you have that to look forward to

its ok so far i'm just not ready to care about any of these characters and it feels like the show is going to try to make me care

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

A MIRACLE posted:

Strange wilderness was good. I need more Steve zahn in my life

I love this movie so much, it is fuckin hysterical. Super underrated flick.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Spoiler Alert, the movie based on the book Spoiler Alert the Hero Dies at the End is on Peacock. It got middling reviews, so even though I read the book and cried ugly while reading it, I had low expectations. But here I am crying.

I was so confused, thought you were talking about the book/movie John Dies at the End and couldn't imagine how someone would be moved to tears by that.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

BisterdDave posted:

As many times as I've seen the movie (I know I know), I had no idea Louis CK was involved. TIL.

Seeing Pootie Tang in the theater was one of my favorite movie going experiences.

My coworker Jason and I skipped work to see it, and ate a ton of candy to get a nice sugar rush. We were the only people in the theater except for a mother and her severely autistic, wheelchair-bound son.

The kid absolutely loved the movie. He copied most of what Pootie Tang said, and went bananas whenever Pootie would crack his belt.

After the movie, we talked to the mom and she said that her son was mostly nonverbal but certain films would get him talking. He was a really sweet kid and his mom let us give him our leftover candy. As we left he screamed "Sa da tay!"

The next day at work, Jason found Louis CK's email address somehow and wrote to him in Pootie-speak. They went back and forth several times until Louis got bored and stopped responding.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

reluctantly admitting that shrinking is cute and i'm gonna pause it now cause my wife is gonna want to watch this too

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I watched The Internship because Hulu's blurb recommending it made me laugh out loud: "For Shawn Levy fans"

Who even knows who Shawn Levy is enough to be a fan of him? Is the algorithm writing the taglines now too and just completely running on fumes?

Anyway it was very bad

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Was that the Google movie?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I remember that. It was like the unfunniest thing I had ever seen and felt like a weird product placement movie for google

Now The Intern was a surprise breakout for me. Loved that movie and I expected to hate it. Watch that instead imo

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Edward Mass posted:

Was that the Google movie?

It was and every scene is about how useful Google is and how even olds will love it when they learn to adapt to it

But for the first 20 minutes before they try to get jobs at Google it's a pretty funny standard Vince Vaughn/Owen Wilson thing so you could just watch that and then turn it off and you'll have gotten a couple chuckles

A MIRACLE posted:

Now The Intern was a surprise breakout for me. Loved that movie and I expected to hate it. Watch that instead imo

I've seen this and it does absolutely own

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

It was and every scene is about how useful Google is and how even olds will love it when they learn to adapt to it

But for the first 20 minutes before they try to get jobs at Google it's a pretty funny standard Vince Vaughn/Owen Wilson thing so you could just watch that and then turn it off and you'll have gotten a couple chuckles

An interesting historical document about how high tech companies were riding before November 2016.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I don't feel the need to assess Jonah Hill's relative acting ability. He's just a casual comedic actor and if you don't like him that's fine, just ignore his stuff. It's the streaming era and it's not like you have to skip your weekly cinema experience because it's overly saturated with him or whatever. I find him enjoyable most of the time. I feel like he does well in bit roles in big movies (Wolf of Wall Street, etc... maybe that's the only one).

Anyway, speaking of bad taste, Violent Night is on Peacock and pretty much delivers on the premise presented. I think if you read the description and think "sure" you'll find it at least moderately enjoyable. The gag of Santa himself having no clue how any of this poo poo works amused me.

edit: Also really enjoyed ep5 of Poker Face and I'm hoping they bring some of the plots together, but who knows.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 9, 2023

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Tampopo is on HBO Max, I just learned. I love this movie and definitely found it on this forum many years ago. First time seeing it in HD.

It's sort of an 80s Japanese Western in the context of a ramen restaurant. It's goofy, and it will make you very hungry, but it's approachable to anyone.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Glottis posted:

Tampopo is on HBO Max, I just learned. I love this movie and definitely found it on this forum many years ago. First time seeing it in HD.

It's sort of an 80s Japanese Western in the context of a ramen restaurant. It's goofy, and it will make you very hungry, but it's approachable to anyone.

Tampon is the the absolute best! Glad it's now on a more popular service (I think it's been on Criterion for a bit now) so I can force all my friends to watch it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

thatfuturekid posted:

Tampon is the the absolute best! Glad it's now on a more popular service (I think it's been on Criterion for a bit now) so I can force all my friends to watch it
lol

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Wolfsheim posted:

I forget where I read this but there was an intereview recently where he said it was originally a hard R rating movie and the studio forced him to make it PG-13

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not lookin' super rosy for D+ - not surprising... their content releases have been pretty anemic.

https://gizmodo.com/disney-espn-hulu-layoffs-marvel-bob-iger-1850093319

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

i slept on south side on hbo, its good so far

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Glottis posted:

It is great. "These noodle lack ... profundity." It and A Taxing Woman are part of this golden era of weird Japanese films. Recommended.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

i slept on south side on hbo, its good so far

It's really good, pretty sure it got renewed for another season too!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

BonoMan posted:

Not lookin' super rosy for D+ - not surprising... their content releases have been pretty anemic.

https://gizmodo.com/disney-espn-hulu-layoffs-marvel-bob-iger-1850093319

I think that was a given. A lot of their subscribers probably took advantage of the really good deal they had if you preordered it, and probably were a lot less likely to renew now that it was a lot more expensive.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It also got a huge boost during the pandemic when everyone stayed home

mystes
May 31, 2006

It also launched during a period when people were probably still thinking "hey new streaming services, maybe I should try them out" rather than "there are too many loving streaming services; should I account-share or go back to piracy?"

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Hopefully the shows that I like just make the move to Hulu, since that service seems to be healthy.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I remember there being some specific content that got a bunch of people to sign up for D+ too, like my mother in law got it before anyone else I knew and watched one thing and I doubt has ever watched it again

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I mean D+ as a proposition is great. It's got the MCU, Pixar, an insane backlog of Disney stuff. It's all there. And they aren't facing unique challenges.

But there's not decent schedule of content delivery. You sign up, gorge on on it and then there's like...maybe 1 or 2 decent-ish series a year if that? There's just no incentive to stay on month to month.

Even our kids, the prime target, just got bored of watching the same stuff over and over

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I mean D+ as a proposition is great. It's got the MCU, Pixar, an insane backlog of Disney stuff. It's all there. And they aren't facing unique challenges.

But there's not decent schedule of content delivery. You sign up, gorge on on it and then there's like...maybe 1 or 2 decent-ish series a year if that? There's just no incentive to stay on month to month.

Even our kids, the prime target, just got bored of watching the same stuff over and over

Most people aren’t savvy enough to realize they can cancel and sign up over and over again.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

A MIRACLE posted:

i put on shrinking. they do the trope where the dad is trying to connect with his kids by making a big breakfast and they just leave with a pop tart

harrison ford calls jason segel a dipshit so you have that to look forward to

its ok so far i'm just not ready to care about any of these characters and it feels like the show is going to try to make me care

I like Shrinking well enough, but it feels to me like the moment Harrison Ford signed up they completely rewrote all the scripts at the last minute to give him more screen time. All the meetings he has with the girl in the park, the many scenes where he's talking to someone on the phone. It all feels like it was added later or something. It makes everything feel disjointed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

frogbs posted:

I like Shrinking well enough, but it feels to me like the moment Harrison Ford signed up they completely rewrote all the scripts at the last minute to give him more screen time. All the meetings he has with the girl in the park, the many scenes where he's talking to someone on the phone. It all feels like it was added later or something. It makes everything feel disjointed.

Apple's current commissioning process requires a star to be attached to any project they commission -- Severance has Ben Stiller, Servant has Shylaman, a lot of other shows have actors like Hiddelson, Tom Holland, Rose Byrne, etc. Even if Ford wasn't attached at the start (unlikely, there are stories about Apple refusing to take a meeting unless there's a name attached to a project already, but maybe they'd take one off the back of Ted Lasso?) they would have expected a role carved out for a name star in the pitch. So there was always the expectation that someone famous would be attached to the project.

I reckon they just filmed his poo poo separately to a lot of the rest of the cast because covid.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I wonder how For All Mankind got the green light. Unless Joel Kinnaman is a bigger star than I realize.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

BonoMan posted:

Pretty much all of the new series are just Marvel or Star Wars stuff too. Nothing that can stand on its own.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Hey guys, welcome to part 13 of my video series on why Disney is a doomed company

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Deadite posted:

I wonder how For All Mankind got the green light. Unless Joel Kinnaman is a bigger star than I realize.

Ronald D. Moore of BSG and Star Trek was the name that got that made.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Deadite posted:

Ron Moore is the star there.

Then he left for a development deal elsewhere after Season 2.

E: loving beaten

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Rewatching Patriot since someone mentioned it in the last page or 2. Such a unique, phenomenal show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Patriot is great. I really wanted a third season but at the same time, I dunno if I could take it.