Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I hurt something in my neck and it’s really painful. guess I’m old now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

PokeJoe posted:

my barber told me to just use olive oil on my beard, so I do and it works fine

dangerously close to gross goon behavior territory.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
if you start keeping your jeans in the freezer and living off of beef jerky then you know you’re hosed.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Got a babysitter for the child and went out to a vinyl night where you can bring your own stuff and play dj for a bit. It was super fun but drat I can’t drink anymore. Today is AWFUL

Edit: I played Chelsea Wolfe, refused, and health and my wife played some anri (city pop), David Bowie, and descendants.

Tell your wife she has better taste.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

MrQueasy posted:

Tell your wife she has better taste.

It’s tru

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Silver Alicorn posted:

I hurt something in my neck and it’s really painful. guess I’m old now

you can try lifting something super heavy and get a hernia, too!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

President Beep posted:

dangerously close to gross goon behavior territory.

not sure about this one beep

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Got a babysitter for the child and went out to a vinyl night where you can bring your own stuff and play dj for a bit. It was super fun but drat I can’t drink anymore. Today is AWFUL

Edit: I played Chelsea Wolfe, refused, and health and my wife played some anri (city pop), David Bowie, and descendants.

lol i just had some anei playing at our hotel room

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

KidDynamite posted:

lol i just had some anei playing at our hotel room

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I graduated from "oh take three ibuprofen a day for three weeks, you'll be fine" on Tuesday to "here's a box of codeine and some cortison" Wednesday night, and finally to "ah OK have you ever tried tramadol retard?" just now. feel like a right 'nist geezer now.

e: what comes after tramadol - oxycontin? fentanyl? morphine?

ee: the name of the drug is tramadol retard, she didn't call me one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
basically if they’re not giving you carfentanyl are you even in pain?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

echinopsis posted:

basically if they’re not giving you carfentanyl are you even in pain?

I was in pain before they gave me anything.

e: It's not available legally in Finland.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I graduated from "oh take three ibuprofen a day for three weeks, you'll be fine" on Tuesday to "here's a box of codeine and some cortison" Wednesday night, and finally to "ah OK have you ever tried tramadol retard?" just now. feel like a right 'nist geezer now.

e: what comes after tramadol - oxycontin? fentanyl? morphine?

for me it went codeine -> tramadol -> hydrocodone -> oxycodone -> morphine sulphate -> fentanyl

then basically in the reverse order, minus tramadol and codeine. they're not great at actually relieving pain ime

incidentally my back and the difficulty of getting an opiate rx here are why i am posting this at almost 6 am (:smith:)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

for me it went codeine -> tramadol -> hydrocodone -> oxycodone -> morphine sulphate -> fentanyl

then basically in the reverse order, minus tramadol and codeine. they're not great at actually relieving pain ime

incidentally my back and the difficulty of getting an opiate rx here are why i am posting this at almost 6 am (:smith:)

I think I got immune to codeine in less than a week. Or at least I don't get that drugged feeling anymore. But also it didn't take away enough pain for me to sleep anymore.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah you build a tolerance pretty quickly and codeine is weak. tramadol is too but it's a bit stronger

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Last time I went through a box (of 20) in like 12 years. Now in three days.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hopefully they'll diagnose me properly with whatever wrist ailment it is next week and they'll IDK operate?

I guess I'll be on painkillers after the operation for a while anyway but I just want something to happen. Treating the pain is not going to cure me.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
no idea how it'd work for a wrist but when i had severe back pain they kept giving me cortisone injections, i've probably had at least 20. unfortunately for me they only worked for about a day, maybe two. but that glorious period of time was pretty much pain free

chronic pain sucks rear end. hope you feel better soon jerry

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

no idea how it'd work for a wrist but when i had severe back pain they kept giving me cortisone injections, i've probably had at least 20. unfortunately for me they only worked for about a day, maybe two. but that glorious period of time was pretty much pain free

chronic pain sucks rear end. hope you feel better soon jerry

well I'm hoping to avoid the chronicness

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:mmmhmm:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

what's some over the counter pain stuff i can take so my legs last the next twelve days of walking in japan?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

KidDynamite posted:

what's some over the counter pain stuff i can take so my legs last the next twelve days of walking in japan?

depends where u are buying it

mystes
May 31, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Have you considered resting for a day or trying to plan things so you walk less or something rather than taking a pain killer?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Beeftweeter posted:

psh. come back when you've got super jumbo frames

dropping some super jumbo frames off at the pool right now

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
dr had me take 10 days in a row of 2x the normal dose naproxen sodium for shin splints, and i didnt run while recovering, fixed them up good.

he said not to do that routinely as it’s hard on your kidneys and liver.

i take a baby aspirin after a run and i am fine now.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
fuckin love naproxen sodium

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

She did, the pharmacist is just in on it

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mystes posted:

Have you considered resting for a day or trying to plan things so you walk less or something rather than taking a pain killer?

probably the smart answer but there is so much to do and see and wife is being more adventurous than last time. drugs, powering through, and some yoga if i can get space again will get me to the finish line.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
make sure you enjoy your vacation instead of just surviving it, lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

KidDynamite posted:

Opium

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

weed. just make sure you smoke it outside, otherwise the japanese are totally chill with it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you can take double the OTC dose of ibuprofen safely, well, that is to say that double the OTC dose is a prescription dose but it’s not in excess of it

if you do this or take big doses of naproxen or any NSAID, do NOT get dehydrated. fluid in and fluid out is the key. helps mitigate GI side effects which you can feel and kidney side effects which you can’t feel. drink dat fluid

if using this to make getting around town acceptable, make sure that you’re drinking enough that you’re pissing regularly! when you exercise you reduce blood flow to the kidneys which is bad news when takings NSAIDs

all NSAIDs are in theory as effective as one another at analgesia but require different doses to achieve the same effect, and naproxen and diclofenac are often given in doses closer to their maximum doses whereas ibuprofen often isn’t so people think ibuprofen isn’t as strong but it can be

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's hosed up that I can buy a bottle of 400 mg ibuprofen without a prescription, and take two at a time, but I need a prescription for 800 mg ibuprofen. Also the former I pay like 4€ for 30, the latter is like 5€ for 100 (equivalent to 200 400 mg tablets).

Now I'm on 100mg tramal and 90mg etoricoxib (just noticed the goober didn't write it for 120mg even though I'm immense), because the diclofenac 75mg took my blood pressure up to 172/103 and gave me waking nightmares lol. (My BP and triglycerides are up so they shouldn't've even prescribed it in the first place!)

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 13, 2023

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

echinopsis posted:

you can take double the OTC dose of ibuprofen safely, well, that is to say that double the OTC dose is a prescription dose but it’s not in excess of it

if you do this or take big doses of naproxen or any NSAID, do NOT get dehydrated. fluid in and fluid out is the key. helps mitigate GI side effects which you can feel and kidney side effects which you can’t feel. drink dat fluid

if using this to make getting around town acceptable, make sure that you’re drinking enough that you’re pissing regularly! when you exercise you reduce blood flow to the kidneys which is bad news when takings NSAIDs

all NSAIDs are in theory as effective as one another at analgesia but require different doses to achieve the same effect, and naproxen and diclofenac are often given in doses closer to their maximum doses whereas ibuprofen often isn’t so people think ibuprofen isn’t as strong but it can be

thanks for the water tip. i definitely have not been keeping my normal amount and have been drinking a lot of beer. i'll cut out the beer and up the water for the next few days.

we're going to a theme park friday and i am dreading it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

thanks for the water tip. i definitely have not been keeping my normal amount and have been drinking a lot of beer. i'll cut out the beer and up the water for the next few days.

we're going to a theme park friday and i am dreading it.

why, is the theme gout?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

why, is the theme gout?

this is plantar fasciitis. i got hit by a car in 2012 and my left ankle had a fracture(thankfully that was it). ever since then my feet are jacked up.

also lol

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I got this prescribed when my frozen shoulder was really bad, and I didn't want codeine. never heard of it before, but it worked ok.

been avoiding using diclofenac, since it's one of the worst things for the environment. several species of vultures in India are going extinct from diclofenac contaminated carrion. I hope etoricoxib isn't as much pure poison.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

I got this prescribed when my frozen shoulder was really bad, and I didn't want codeine. never heard of it before, but it worked ok.

codeine is a pain-killer, etoricoxibs are anti-inflammation pain-killers. often they prescribe you both at the same time.

but if it works, it works. less (drugs) is more (healthy) as long as you're not in pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

3D Megadoodoo posted:

codeine is a pain-killer, etoricoxibs are anti-inflammation pain-killers. often they prescribe you both at the same time.

but if it works, it works. less (drugs) is more (healthy) as long as you're not in pain.

I was offered Citodon, codeine and paracetamol (acetaminophen for Americans). my only experience with opiates is Ethymorphine in Coccilana cough syrup, and while that stops the dry cough, the headaches, stomach pains and brain fog are worse.