Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cyrano4747 posted:

Aramark is no bullshit getting poo poo for this right now, as we speak.

Long story short some school somewhere in the midwest was scheduled for regular school lunch. Something like fish and chips and a side of fruit.

The meal got rescheduled, and on the first day of black history month they served chicken and waffles with a side of watermelon.

They insist it was not intended to be a "cultural meal" and apologize for any offense it might have caused etc but come the gently caress on. Like if it was just a change to fried chicken I'd maybe buy it all being an unfortunate coincidence, but chicken and waffles with a side of watermelon? That menu would raise eyebrows in general, but then you have it be the kickoff for black history month? Lmao get the gently caress out of here with that excuse someone knew exactly what they were doing.

When I started reading I thought this was going to be about the Midwest school administrator who just got caught stealing $1.5 million in chicken wings.

https://www.today.com/today/amp/rcna68824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
one of my old jobs used aramark for their cafeteria vendor at their office. some of the worst food ever. when i found out they mainly so schools and prisons things made a lot more sense

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cthulu Carl posted:

A dude has been emailing an IT distribution list that contains about every deskside tech and computer janitor in our company because he thinks tickets from his team aren't being handled fast enough. Every time we check one of the tickets referenced in the emails (He sends an email for each ticket), the tickets are A) Less than an hour old, and B) Not even in the queues that our techs work out of. The most recent one was a Request (A "Hey, can you get me this thing within 10 days?" ticket) for a lady whose Outlook had completely poo poo the bed and wasn't working at all.

One of my co-workers sent a Reply All that was pretty spicy to tell the dude to stop or he's gonna talk to the dude's manager. He also loudly declared "I'll take a poo poo on anyone, I love doing it!" And didn't get why we were laughing.

Then he got all pouty when our boss was like "I appreciate the initiative, but I think you could have handled it better", and gave feedback what amounted to "Don't Reply All, and don't threaten a dude's job over and email asking for help, please."

Man I remember those days. Get a work order that I can't make time for a few hours and then, instead of getting to work on the project, I have to answer 5 or 10 messages and emails asking me when it will be ready or, more often, customer instructions to change everything. But still hurry up.

It's right there next to the Morning Production Meeting where we prioritize every job in the house and then six hours later after cramming in 4 or 5 RUSH jobs and making changes to 6 other ones, my boss wants to know why the production list wasn't done. Mother fucker, you PULLED me off those projects to do you rush orders and answer your and your CSR's messages.

Shortly before I got fired/quit, I explained the laws of physics to my boss by outlining the very basic idea that whenever I am doing this ONE thing, I am not doing the OTHER thing. Sometimes I could multi task but not always. So the next morning's production meeting was "why didn't I get these jobs done in order" when the manager and the sales force occupied my whole day by treating my department like a drive thru Wendy's window.

They would approve orders, shove them to the top of the list and then have a customer change halfway through my fun and blame ME.

It was like if you set out to mow the lawn and then your wife/boss/whatever made you vaccum the house and fold the laundry then, at the end of the day, bitched about the uncut grass and didn't clean the cat box. Since that what we discussed at the breakfast table

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I honestly don't know why reply all isn't flagged if there are distro lists containing above a certain number of contacts. How do you even fix a reply all tsunami from the IT side? Break the distro list temporarily?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Macho Man Reply All Savage

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

My bosses have a really bad habit of deciding which beers will be best sellers instead of paying attention to which beers actually are best sellers.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Pyrtanis posted:

I honestly don't know why reply all isn't flagged if there are distro lists containing above a certain number of contacts. How do you even fix a reply all tsunami from the IT side? Break the distro list temporarily?

as the wrong kind of computer toucher, are there one-way distro lists?

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS
When the company I work for sends out mass emails, I'm sure it's just somebody copying and pasting email addresses, as the To: field has 6 people in alphabetical order around your name and everyone gets the emails spread out throughout the day.

We have a lot of employees too, so that must be a fun job.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I feel there's more work that could be done with reply-all threadnaughts by adding in received/read confirmations by default. Include reminder flags, you know, a feature rich experience for the user base.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

thathonkey posted:

one of my old jobs used aramark for their cafeteria vendor at their office. some of the worst food ever. when i found out they mainly so schools and prisons things made a lot more sense

My college had a number of Aramark dining halls. One was the one they used as their like flagship - Aramark would bring potential clients to this one and be like "see what we can do." Had a burrito bar, a grill-to-order burger stand, rice bowl line, a few different hot lines, the works, and was legit good. The other dining halls they ran, one of which was of course my dorm's, were utter dreck. Everyone wanted at least one friend who could swipe them in to the good one with a guest meal.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pyrtanis posted:

Break the distro list temporarily?

Run an email system where you can restrict who can send to the "everyone" d-lists. There's a huge portion of the workforce who never has, and never will, see a reply-all storm because their IT department chooses good tools.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
"Hey can you come to this meeting? "

"Sure, send me the invite"

"We don't know when it is"

Fuckin' what? Lol.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i mean i would have gone and bought a hose and turned in a receipt instead of passive aggressively going home if you can get that poo poo anywhere and easily but that's me i spose

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

boar guy posted:

i mean i would have gone and bought a hose and turned in a receipt instead of passive aggressively going home if you can get that poo poo anywhere and easily but that's me i spose

just start using his knives to open cardboard boxes

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

boar guy posted:

If only there was a spreadsheet to track these sort of costs.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

some of you gotta remember that if you left where you work tomorrow they...wouldn't give a gently caress, the place wouldn't self destruct

someone else would get your job, you ain't special, lol

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I've definitely seen places go into years-long spirals of downtime, inefficiency, and miserable drudgery after one guy left tho

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Aramark is no bullshit getting poo poo for this right now, as we speak.

Long story short some school somewhere in the midwest was scheduled for regular school lunch. Something like fish and chips and a side of fruit.

The meal got rescheduled, and on the first day of black history month they served chicken and waffles with a side of watermelon.

They insist it was not intended to be a "cultural meal" and apologize for any offense it might have caused etc but come the gently caress on. Like if it was just a change to fried chicken I'd maybe buy it all being an unfortunate coincidence, but chicken and waffles with a side of watermelon? That menu would raise eyebrows in general, but then you have it be the kickoff for black history month? Lmao get the gently caress out of here with that excuse someone knew exactly what they were doing.

At my college Aramark was the vendor for food and for Martin Luther King Day they made a special meal of, no joke, fried chicken, watermelon, collard greens, biscuit mashed potatoes and corn and justified it as his favorite food

This isn't a one off thing with them; it's a systemic problem

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

slurm posted:

I've definitely seen places go into years-long spirals of downtime, inefficiency, and miserable drudgery after one guy left tho

Yeh but does anyone really want to work where that's the case? If you're the only one holding it up, it means you have no support - so the whole system is broken and it's only by the grace of your diligence it works. That's not sustainable in the long run, which is why that person always ends up leaving.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

majestic12 posted:

just start using his knives to open cardboard boxes

No no, you're not using his knives, they're the restaurant's knives.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Seth Pecksniff posted:

At my college Aramark was the vendor for food and for Martin Luther King Day they made a special meal of, no joke, fried chicken, watermelon, collard greens, biscuit mashed potatoes and corn and justified it as his favorite food

This isn't a one off thing with them; it's a systemic problem
The strangest part to me is there's a simple solution of just serving the delicious food all the time.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

boar guy posted:

some of you gotta remember that if you left where you work tomorrow they...wouldn't give a gently caress, the place wouldn't self destruct

I believe he's the sole brewer in a brewery/restaurant setup, so it would presumably be a bit of a bother if he just walked out.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah they’d have to just keep selling the guest beers dude never wants to clean up after instead

None of us are irreplaceable captains of industry or we wouldn’t have time to shitpost on SomethingAwful

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

History Comes Inside! posted:

None of us are irreplaceable captains of industry or we wouldn’t have time to shitpost on SomethingAwful

The secret of the world is that when Atlas shrugs, the world shrugs back.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

We have a priority system for trees marked for line clearance prunning. Some trees need very frequent trimming cuz they grow fast. Others, not so much.

Our client's Very Smart program manager decided that instead of using an established system of priority to avoid vegetation touching power lines and causing outages and fire, all tree cutting is now high est priority. The last circuit we closed literally had 20,000 trees that need some form of work, and every single one is now highest priority. I sent the email to my personal one so when the utility gets sued for starting a fire, I can at least claim in court that I had no hand in this unbelievably idiotic idea.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

I believe he's the sole brewer in a brewery/restaurant setup, so it would presumably be a bit of a bother if he just walked out.

everyone likes to fantasize that they are the only reason a place is being held together because of how special/unique they are but the truth is that life would surely go on, and he'd be up as much of poo poo's creek without an employer to sponsor his visa as they would be without a brewer

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pyrtanis posted:

Man, that reminds me of an incident back in the 90s when I worked for a decent size American company. Someone sent out one of those clearly fake emails with some collection drive for a diseased kid or something but managed to select the entire address book including all the distribution lists as the recipients. We had hundreds of dist lists as well and the system wasn’t smart enough to figure out an individual was on multiple and should probably only receive one copy. The entire mail system was down for the better part of the day while it worked on sending out all this poo poo.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

boar guy posted:

I am literally the only person who knows how to bill correctly in our department. There’s the person who taught me, who doesn’t know all the new rules, and someone I dump the easy stuff on when I’m desperate. Those are the only two people who even know some of my job. It’s not documented anywhere, and some rules actually contradict what is written. It wouldn’t shut down the business if I left, but my department would be screwed and have tons of upset customers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Domus posted:

I am literally the only person who knows how to bill correctly in our department. There’s the person who taught me, who doesn’t know all the new rules, and someone I dump the easy stuff on when I’m desperate. Those are the only two people who even know some of my job. It’s not documented anywhere, and some rules actually contradict what is written. It wouldn’t shut down the business if I left, but my department would be screwed and have tons of upset customers.

It that's true you just need to read this post at your next performance review when the question of increasing compensation comes up.

Most people aren't indispensable. If you are, congrats, you've got your work's balls in a vice and are in the rare position of negotiating from a position of strength.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Domus posted:

I am quite foolish and made the mistake of asking our bookkeeper how to create electronic invoices. She showed me how to do it and now I don't have an excuse to ask her to do it for me. I mean, it's her job and I'm overworked and need to let things go but I feel guilty about asking people to do things and have control issues.

What I'm saying is ignorance and incompetence are powerful delegation devices for the modern manager and should be nurtured whenver possible.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

I am quite foolish and made the mistake of asking our bookkeeper how to create electronic invoices. She showed me how to do it and now I don't have an excuse to ask her to do it for me. I mean, it's her job and I'm overworked and need to let things go but I feel guilty about asking people to do things and have control issues.

What I'm saying is ignorance and incompetence are powerful delegation devices for the modern manager and should be nurtured whenver possible.

This is like MBA 501 tier poo poo. "So you've been hired to manage a group." The naive undergrad answer is 'learn how each person does their jobs, learn the needs of the business and the pain points on your team, then work to resolve them'. The correct answer is 'make friends with your boss and boss' boss, go golfing with them when you can, make sure your team has several places you can shuffle blame, promise whatever you can as long as the delivery time is far enough away that you can get promoted before it's due.'

Advanced topics on the subject include 'constructive termination', 'how to gaslight and harass employees the legal way' and 'how to tell your team the 3% raise was the best you could do'.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

boar guy posted:

everyone likes to fantasize that they are the only reason a place is being held together because of how special/unique they are but the truth is that life would surely go on, and he'd be up as much of poo poo's creek without an employer to sponsor his visa as they would be without a brewer

I've only had one place I've left reach out to be for anything, and I'd left them documentation that covered everything.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

boar guy posted:

Unless he landed some of that sweet, sweet PR-bestowing manko

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

My team did a minor fuckup, fixed it in 15 minutes, but during that time someone complained directly to the CEO so now I have to spend a whole day writing a report for the CTO so he can explain to the CEO why this happened and how we will prevent it happening again.

This will delay the decommissioning of the system that got hosed up until next week. Writing an incident report on a system that was supposed to be turned off today anyway. But it won't now. Because I was writing reports on how to stop it breaking in the future.

cynic fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 9, 2023

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

boar guy posted:

I wasn't being passive agressive. I told them I'd have to move the brew day to the next day because it wouldn't have been possible for me to do my job without it. Brewing is also a long and fairly labor intensive process that has to be run from start to finish without a break, so by the time I had made it to the store, purchased the hose, and gotten things set up my day would have easily reached 12 or more hours. As it stands I had nothing else to do that day other than take samples. I also placed some orders I was planning to do and my bosses don't care when I show up or leave as long as I get my work done. Also firing people is way harder here than in the US.

Edit: to clarify the situation, the restaurant manager is not my boss, neither is the head chef. I report mainly to the section head.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 9, 2023

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

boar guy posted:

Jesus Christ, dude. I don't think I'm king poo poo of gently caress mountain or anything. I set my own schedule at work. I know without me they'd probably have trouble finding another brewer and just operate as a restaurant as before.

You do realize I don't address my bosses and coworkers the same way I post on a thread for venting about work, right?

If I hear anything about this place hiring I'll try and let you know next time.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It that's true you just need to read this post at your next performance review when the question of increasing compensation comes up.

Most people aren't indispensable. If you are, congrats, you've got your work's balls in a vice and are in the rare position of negotiating from a position of strength.

There can be a big gulf between "I know it'd be a mess if I left" and "they are both aware and willing to acknowledge this".

I'm in a related position - I know it'd be a year-long process to adjust if I left, they know and have said as much, and we both know that working in a public hospital means there's not much room for adjusting my wages within my current role.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

This is like MBA 501 tier poo poo. "So you've been hired to manage a group." The naive undergrad answer is 'learn how each person does their jobs, learn the needs of the business and the pain points on your team, then work to resolve them'. The correct answer is 'make friends with your boss and boss' boss, go golfing with them when you can, make sure your team has several places you can shuffle blame, promise whatever you can as long as the delivery time is far enough away that you can get promoted before it's due.'

Advanced topics on the subject include 'constructive termination', 'how to gaslight and harass employees the legal way' and 'how to tell your team the 3% raise was the best you could do'.

Master the moves of the scumbag and use your newfound powers for good

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Outrail posted:

Master the moves of the scumbag and use your newfound powers for good

Always Be sCammin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Escape From Noise posted:

Jesus Christ, dude. I don't think I'm king poo poo of gently caress mountain or anything. I set my own schedule at work. I know without me they'd probably have trouble finding another brewer and just operate as a restaurant as before.

You do realize I don't address my bosses and coworkers the same way I post on a thread for venting about work, right?

If I hear anything about this place hiring I'll try and let you know next time.

You get real touchy when someone calls you out on this.

Your job seems to be to brew? And you didn't do that because of a missing hose that you could have bought?

I mean, I get it, but also we're only getting one side of this so we can't read the room. I'm sure you have all kinds of words to explain all of this and how you were right, and that's okay.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)