Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

rosado is cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Tae posted:

Chain attack spam is real, this is definitely something you would never notice on Hard because everything is too squishy.

Even on Hard, there are a couple of places where they pretty intentionally load up on backup enemies to avoid you just choke pointing with a high Def/Ike unit.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Hellioning posted:

Rosado is Rosado. He uses he/him pronouns, wears exclusively women's clothing, and likes cute things above all else. I love him. The hair isn't based on a cat, by the way, it combines with his hair bow to create the silhouette of a wyvern head.
rosado is great. i wasnt sure what direction they were going to go with him pre-release, but he quickly became one of my faves. sometimes boys can be cute too. its equality.
edit:

Notty posted:

Even on Hard, there are a couple of places where they pretty intentionally load up on backup enemies to avoid you just choke pointing with a high Def/Ike unit.
its very funny to me that they did this, but then also made the Pair Up skill a thing. Because why not make Louis even more busted

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rosado and Merrin's supports are all some of the best in the game, hands down. They're both incredible.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I like Rosado more than Forrest but they are both cute

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
My Alear is dodgy and hits hard but she has lower defense than Alcryst. I'm setting up to kill a boss then (Chapter 21) I realise the game is showing I'm going to take 111 damage from the enemy engage.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hellioning posted:

Rosado is Rosado. He uses he/him pronouns, wears exclusively women's clothing, and likes cute things above all else. I love him. The hair isn't based on a cat, by the way, it combines with his hair bow to create the silhouette of a wyvern head.

Ohhhh that makes more sense. The wyvern silhouette part, I mean.

Edit: I don’t have an issue with Rosado’s design, I just wasn’t sure if it was some kind of anime trope or just the designers leaning hard into the cuteness gimmick.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I found him insufferable, along with most of the cast. I was fast forwarding through near-every support chat by late game.

Gameplay is good, enjoyed the maps and the theory-crafting ring + skill combos, but the plot and characters (and character designs) grated all the way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Actually the extremely deranged cast of characters is good

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The anti fun people are easy to spot ITT.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Some character gimmicks definitely work better for me than others.

Merrin has settled on an endearingly androgynous bisexual furry tomboy disaster who's a complete loving dork, in my eyes, but all the stuff I've seen with Rosado so far makes him seem very vain and egotistical to me, just like Goldmary.

I think I'm glad Rosado exists and is doing his thing without apology as an extremely gender non-conforming dude, but I don't think I care for him as a character.

Chloe grew on me after I realized that half of her supports are people learning about her taste in cuisine and going HOW THE gently caress ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?!

And Alear dealing with the likes of Ivy just calls to mind for me the Roman emperor who allegedly cried out "When some peasant prays to me to cure his wife's gout, what am I supposed to do?!"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I finally have promoted everyone, and it's a good, good feeling. Knowing all my money can now be spent on actual improvements? Immediately bought one magic lance and crafted another. My Royal Knight Jean has high magic and strength, so should be an absolute menace whenever he's not mending someone. Chloe is Chloe.

Really excited now. Doesn't matter who I take on my team, I can just unleash whoever at their full potential, going forward.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Tae posted:

Just beat chapter 17 on maddening just now as well, underrated skill no one talks about is Corrin's engaged attacks just do 100% freeze aoe so as long as your unit (Alear in my case) can survive a combat round, she can lockdown bosses while you deal with others.

I've kept Corrin on units with 3 range attacks to lock down bosses or enemy groups completely safely. Even if your attack misses it still triggers the effect. At one point I was getting swarmed and just danced that unit to lock down like 8 enemies at once; it was ridiculous.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I like the tiny doctor boy, the alpaca doofus, all of knife squad, authortank, frat priest, inferiorityboy, swolearcher and the Solm royals.

Not enough to remember their names. But I've always been bad at that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Fun sucks. I hate it.

Also Rosado is cool, but with that hair and being cagey about his pronoun in pre-release stuff, I thought he was trans. Be nice to have a confirmed trans character.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Eimi posted:

Fun sucks. I hate it.

Also Rosado is cool, but with that hair and being cagey about his pronoun in pre-release stuff, I thought he was trans. Be nice to have a confirmed trans character.

I mean they retroactively confirmed Kyza from FE10 NB but they’re an extremely minor character and not localized that way in FE10 proper (because it came out in 2007).

But also I think Kyza being trans vs a 2007 era Japanese gay stereotype is a whole can of worms.

(tl;dr Kyza has okama speech patterns and “the heart of a woman” in the lorebooks so a lot of people hc’d them as a canon trans woman kinda ignoring that okama and that exact phrase were more of a gay stereotype in the era the game was released rather than trans. (Note: I’m specifically talking outside of media that actually, like, engaged in queerness in any real way.) At the time Kyza was localized with he/him pronouns and as still being into Ranulf (and also very boring like most RD introduced characters). EN Heroes then decided to localize them as NB with they/them pronouns. I personally think the original intent was “extremely stock gay stereotype” but I’m not going to complain about Treehouse deciding to just make them NB so :shrug:)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

Fun sucks. I hate it.

been saying this for a while

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ugh, just had a bad run on Lyn's paralogue.

Inmediately guessed/remembered the reinforcements came from tents with an enemy on them so I rushed a lot and got almost all of them done.

But some units were going slow and I was left in a position were I could not kill the Sage next to Lyn because my fliers would die to Astra Storm, and on the next turn reinforcements came out and could murder either Anna or Kagetsu, no matter how I redid the scenario.

Guess it is my fault for not giving someone Rescue and not giving Chloe a stronger weapon since the Sage was left with 1 HP. Also will exchange Kagetsu for Merrin since 6 move + poison will probably be more useful.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Lyn's Paralogue:

She spawns like 4 more per tent if the guard is alive. If you can clear the top 4 (and most of the rest of the map I guess) the spawn wave is by no means overwhelming. So you don't need to feel compelled to rush them down and put yourself in danger if it's too much.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Eimi posted:

Fun sucks. I hate it.

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in japan gay men and trans women have a long history of being conflated so phrases like 'heart of a woman' or 'not a man or a woman' were applied to flamboyant gay men as much as anything and kyza was playing into that stereotype. considering kyza was in the same game as heather (who i love, but,) thats probably the extent of it.

the fe 20th anniversary encyclopedia outright refers to them as an okama. but given that would have been made in 2009-2010 and kyza's feh appearance was a decade later, they might have changed tact. i dont believe kyza is ever referred to with gendered pronouns in jp fe heroes either, but given how japanese is that isnt a smoking gun. regardless, their speech pattern is slightly less flamboyant than it was in fe10, so its at least clear the intent was to go 'okay lets walk this back a step.' you can also compare the portrayal of characters like rosado and forrest to kyza or, say, lucius, where there's a few jokes about 'you're a GUY!?'.

in terms of an nb character who was always meant to be nb, limstella is probably closer, but then they're also an evil henchthey created by dark magic. which i mean, #slay, but.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that said frankly kyza has more dialogue in feh than they ever did in fe10 so its hard to care too much about them being changed or anything.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

in japan gay men and trans women have a long history of being conflated so phrases like 'heart of a woman' or 'not a man or a woman' were applied to flamboyant gay men as much as anything and kyza was playing into that stereotype. considering kyza was in the same game as heather (who i love, but,) thats probably the extent of it.

the fe 20th anniversary encyclopedia outright refers to them as an okama. but given that would have been made in 2009-2010 and kyza's feh appearance was a decade later, they might have changed tact. i dont believe kyza is ever referred to with gendered pronouns in jp fe heroes either, but given how japanese is that isnt a smoking gun. regardless, their speech pattern is slightly less flamboyant than it was in fe10, so its at least clear the intent was to go 'okay lets walk this back a step.' you can also compare the portrayal of characters like rosado and forrest to kyza or, say, lucius, where there's a few jokes about 'you're a GUY!?'.

in terms of an nb character who was always meant to be nb, limstella is probably closer, but then they're also an evil henchthey created by dark magic. which i mean, #slay, but.

Oh yeah I agree with this 100% but it’s why I wanted to but a giant asterisk on Kyza.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

that said frankly kyza has more dialogue in feh than they ever did in fe10 so its hard to care too much about them being changed or anything.

I was gonna say now it’s Vika’s time to shine but apparently she is in Heroes and Tormod and almost the entirety of the Dawn Brigade isn’t? Cool I guess.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Vika has entered 'alt-only limbo' and will not receive her normal outfit for at least 4 years.

Honestly, it is highly likely that Tormod and the Dawn Brigade still won't be in the game at that point. Except maybe for Laura.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 8, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda funny that Nolan isn’t in since, like, it’s not super well known but he IS the leader/founder of the Dawn Brigade and a pretty clutch unit.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

IS seems to lump both Tellius games into a single pool when it comes to picking characters for representation. Which on one hand makes sense. On the other hand most RD newcomers are far far far behind PoR dudes in popularity so they languish in obscurity. Like the Dawn Brigade.

On the other, other hand Boyd's only representation is as a kid.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Last Celebration posted:

It’s kinda funny that Nolan isn’t in since, like, it’s not super well known but he IS the leader/founder of the Dawn Brigade and a pretty clutch unit.

Vaike isn't in the game despite the game launching with Fate and Awakening, and he is super early in the game, including a tutorial.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also, on completing chapter 17:
- god I love the Freeze staff
- they really should not have given Alear access to every dragon vein effect, at least without nerfing them so that the fog is a + shape or the ice pillars are 1x3

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah but have you considered:

-Vika is cute

who the hell even is vaike or adult boyd, are they cute?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Also, on completing chapter 17:
- god I love the Freeze staff
- they really should not have given Alear access to every dragon vein effect, at least without nerfing them so that the fog is a + shape or the ice pillars are 1x3

I'm not sure what it says when the optimal strategy to the town that is on fire is to set more things on fire

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted:

Vaike isn't in the game despite the game launching with Fate and Awakening, and he is super early in the game, including a tutorial.

Ngl, the only reason The Vaike sticks out as anything other than “yet another mid early game axefighter” is the fact that he sometimes yells all time top tier crit quote “Looks like Teach just got tenure” before smoking a dude, so I can’t blame them for giving him low billing if that was Us exclusive.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Pureauthor posted:

IS seems to lump both Tellius games into a single pool when it comes to picking characters for representation. Which on one hand makes sense. On the other hand most RD newcomers are far far far behind PoR dudes in popularity so they languish in obscurity. Like the Dawn Brigade.

On the other, other hand Boyd's only representation is as a kid.

RD was the second FE game I bought (Sacred Stones being the first) so I’ve always been fond of Micaiah and her ragtag bunch of lads. At the end of the day though Heroes isn’t for me so every six months I’ll see a character I like has been added, I’ll listen to their voice and skill quotes on youtube and say “neat”.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Last Celebration posted:

Ngl, the only reason The Vaike sticks out as anything other than “yet another mid early game axefighter” is the fact that he sometimes yells all time top tier crit quote “Looks like Teach just got tenure” before smoking a dude, so I can’t blame them for giving him low billing if that was Us exclusive.
if byleth had that quote Im pretty sure they would be universally beloved

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaziken386 posted:

Frederick has shown you just need one slam dunk quote to be popular

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Blaziken386 posted:

"I'll give you something to believe in" (with the emphasis that implies he's dethroning God, rather than serving as a figurehead for his students) is already at that level IMHO

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I feel like banger crit quotes are an underrated part of Awakening's success tbh. A lot of the cast has some really good ones.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

"It's tea time!" has cracked me up several times. The delivery is perfect.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Deltasquid posted:

"I'll give you something to believe in" (with the emphasis that implies he's dethroning God, rather than serving as a figurehead for his students) is already at that level IMHO

Yeah it's an awesome quote especially on CF.

Hubert's "Let us burn together!" is probably my fav 3H crit though. Or just him laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Yunaka has the best crit quote delivery in the series, especially when she also levels up and immediately changes back to Zappy.