Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Armauk posted:

So "Roof"

If I may

"Rooft"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Armauk posted:

So "Roof"

If you're American

Flesh Forge posted:

If I may

"Rooft"

That's it.

Played the demo last night until i got to a point where to progress I needed to tools that weren't available to progress. Its colourful, once you know how the mechanics work its easy to play, but the one annoying feature that maybe in the full game you can deal with easier is over night new mutant plants appear and that means you have to spend resources making more anti weed spray and spend time spraying them all down. Also food was a constant problem, just eating raw blueberry's because for some reason I couldn't interact with the planters.

The Backstory is a bit questionable, a second moon came into orbit and caused the tides to go all fucky, which flooded the earth, the mega corps built space ships to leave the earth taking all the rich jerks with them, but then a literal Class War started and one of the ships was damaged and dropped a bunch of its cyropods and that's where you come from, you are a rich jerk leaving the poors to die but were knocked out of the sky by them. I'm a bit put off by this.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i tried the voidtrain demo, it's basically "raft, but you're building the 999"
except the demo is 15gb and takes like 30 minutes to finish, which was a bit weird lol

wishlisted anyway will wait for release reviews :v:

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
I did not like the voidtrain demo, not much was accomplished in it if you go up all the "tech". just making doodads and benches to make the next doodad and bench. nothing that impacted the gameplay except the storage if you want to count that. I hope they have actual gameplay things in mind for the early game and not swimming in the air for hours hunting down scrap metal behind the same chunks of rock. it just seems rushed

the raft comparison is easy to make. except raft's gathering gameplay is more fluid, has a little mini game with it, and wastes much less time. raft fairly quickly gets you new plates to spin and tools to passively get loot.

also the demo crashed on launch until I updated the epic game store since apparently it uses egs for online

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Voidtrain's most immediately obvious problem is definitely resource economy. Stuff is too expensive to build while Raft has very low costs for almost everything, and passive resource generation or collection is vital to this genre.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Void train is a weird thing where they absolutely nailed a weird and fun twist aesthetically/world wise and then just whiffed horribly on mechanical execution. It’s neat but after a little while it’s just absolutely arduous to play, even with a friend. (It’s been out awhile on Epic.)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omcvQIQKmGw
This got revealed two weeks ago but I hadn't seen anyone discussing it. Looks pretty cool, always nice to see a survival game that uses a creative setting.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It looks great :3

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

twistedmentat posted:

If you're American

"Rough" if you're an American in the midwest.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Vib Rib posted:

Voidtrain's most immediately obvious problem is definitely resource economy. Stuff is too expensive to build while Raft has very low costs for almost everything, and passive resource generation or collection is vital to this genre.

I've seen it compared to subnautica, and I think that subnautica really strived to balance "It's a pain in the rear end to find resources but you only really ever need to build one or two of any given thing."

I think that kind of balance can be very satisfying. It's really worth thinking about derived numbers in survival game design like nodes mined/structure built or mining trips/structure built. That kind of thing.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Spanish Matlock posted:

I've seen it compared to subnautica, and I think that subnautica really strived to balance "It's a pain in the rear end to find resources but you only really ever need to build one or two of any given thing."

I think that kind of balance can be very satisfying. It's really worth thinking about derived numbers in survival game design like nodes mined/structure built or mining trips/structure built. That kind of thing.

The thing that really turned me off of it (and this was a long time ago, so maybe it changed) was the loop of "gather all these things to unlock this new tech, now gather all those same things again to build it." Like that's not a big deal for the low level items but it can be a slog to get everything for an unlock, especially since the resource gathering isn't exactly super interesting, and then having to do it all again to actually have the thing in question was just so deflating that it made for a terrible gameplay loop. But like I said, I haven't played since extremely early alpha on the EGS, maybe they changed some of that. I really liked the concept and the general aesthetic, just the game play was kind of mid.

Subnautica is a bad comparison in my mind since this really isn't open world, you're on rails (hah) through procedurally generated areas, again, unless they changed something from the early builds.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

StarkRavingMad posted:

The thing that really turned me off of it (and this was a long time ago, so maybe it changed) was the loop of "gather all these things to unlock this new tech, now gather all those same things again to build it."
Oh yeah, everything in the game actually had 2x cost for the first build because you had to spend its cost just to unlock it, then again to craft it the first time. That sucked rear end.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Vib Rib posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omcvQIQKmGw
This got revealed two weeks ago but I hadn't seen anyone discussing it. Looks pretty cool, always nice to see a survival game that uses a creative setting.

iirc it has a demo but it was pretty bare bones & a little janky. hopefully it cleans up nicer

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Vib Rib posted:

Oh yeah, everything in the game actually had 2x cost for the first build because you had to spend its cost just to unlock it, then again to craft it the first time. That sucked rear end.

That in particular seems like possibly the worst decision. How would you put that in the game and not immediately change it?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Has anyone looked into Wild West Dynasty at all?

I've been wanting a Survival Crafting game where you build up a town for NPCs and poo poo so you're building not just for yourself but for a buncha people and until now the best I found was Fallout 4. But this seems like it might actually be what I'm looking for.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1329880/Wild_West_Dynasty/

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

khy posted:

Has anyone looked into Wild West Dynasty at all?

I've been wanting a Survival Crafting game where you build up a town for NPCs and poo poo so you're building not just for yourself but for a buncha people and until now the best I found was Fallout 4. But this seems like it might actually be what I'm looking for.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1329880/Wild_West_Dynasty/

Didn't realize this was out today, I enjoyed their last game (medieval dynasty) but the reviews for this one look rough. Sounds like it's terribly optimized right now. If the Wild West part of it isn't crucial to your enjoyment of it Medieval Dynasty is probably worth a look since I'm sure this new one is going for roughly the same thing in a different setting.

Edit: Apparently this one was made in Unity instead of UE like Medieval Dynasty. Weird decision..

Edit 2: Oh god this is a completely different developer, I had no idea. Clicking on the Developer link on Steam brings you to the Publisher page which lists Medieval Dynasty in there because they published that but it is a different dev. Not good!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 16, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

explosivo posted:

Didn't realize this was out today, I enjoyed their last game (medieval dynasty) but the reviews for this one look rough. Sounds like it's terribly optimized right now. If the Wild West part of it isn't crucial to your enjoyment of it Medieval Dynasty is probably worth a look since I'm sure this new one is going for roughly the same thing in a different setting.
Dynasty series doesn't work that way, these are different devs than Medieval. Same publisher.

The publisher just finds indies/small dev houses making survival or sim games or willing to make survival or sim games that fit into a vague dynasty theme.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zedprime posted:

Dynasty series doesn't work that way, these are different devs than Medieval. Same publisher.

The publisher just finds indies/small dev houses making survival or sim games or willing to make survival or sim games that fit into a vague dynasty theme.

Yeah I just edited my post, my mistake!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Spanish Matlock posted:

That in particular seems like possibly the worst decision. How would you put that in the game and not immediately change it?

You don't really notice, tbh. And everything you make is so, so game changing that you're more concerned with how cool the new thing is than the cost.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dogstile posted:

You don't really notice, tbh. And everything you make is so, so game changing that you're more concerned with how cool the new thing is than the cost.
Oh, no. I absolutely noticed.
Especially when you get to the later tiers and things get really expensive or cost very highly-processed materials. You craft the thing, but don't get it, and have to craft it again. Cool!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

dogstile posted:

Yeah that seems like the kind of thing you'd say about the cost of things things being expensive not redundant. Like things could cost like, one of something and if you made me do it twice I'd be like "Hey how about don't?"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

In a few days Zero Sievert is getting an update that includes a bunch of customizable difficulty settings, including a few presets. Options categories for tweaking include Traders (prices, vendor cash, etc), Loot (not just how often things drop/can be found, but whether enemies can drop their armor and what kind of condition their guns and armor might be found in), progression (player HP, carry weight, needs decay rate, XP rate, etc), Enemies (HP, damage dealt, etc), and "Hardcore" options, where you can make dying mean you lose your whole kit or just good old fashion perma-death.

So with the right settings you could emulate a Tarkov-like experience by making trader gear much cheaper to buy and looted gear from enemies more immediately useable, but dying means you lose everything you take into the raid.

There is also going to be an option that restricts your vision to a cone.

https://i.imgur.com/IMaeQvx.mp4

Also a nice QoL feature where you can just teleport straight to the NPCs you want to talk to in the Bunker.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 18, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

https://imgur.com/ does not have bandwidth caps

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh is the image not displaying right? I just copied it from their new post lol. Weird, it worked on my pc and phone. Oh well, fixed I hope.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 18, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So who's gonna delve into Sons of the Forest as soon it's released later today? Interesting to see how (un)finished it really is and what features are still missing.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

TeaJay posted:

So who's gonna delve into Sons of the Forest as soon it's released later today? Interesting to see how (un)finished it really is and what features are still missing.

I wasn't super excited for it initially but I've been getting more and more interested building up to release. I'm getting it as soon as it unlocks. The world looks beautiful and the building system looks really neat and detailed. It looks like it has the potential to be the best lumberjack simulator yet

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 23, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

TeaJay posted:

I'd love to hear about this, a buddy and I might buy if it's any good

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I'm very excited, but there's zero reviews or chat yet and I'm not buying anything sight unseen. Price is pretty cheap, so if it's even a half decent survival sim I'll pick it up.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I can't even buy it right now, seems like Steam is having an issue with its store atm.

I loved the first game so I'm definitely grabbing this right out the gate; if it breaks even with the first game I'll be satisfied.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
I was hoping to wait until full release but my mates want to play it now so....

I've been playing a lot of Green Hell lately so will be interesting to see what SotF brings to the table - I'm hoping some ideas from GH such as macros or a more complex survival system are present.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

truther posted:

I was hoping to wait until full release but my mates want to play it now so....

I've been playing a lot of Green Hell lately so will be interesting to see what SotF brings to the table - I'm hoping some ideas from GH such as macros or a more complex survival system are present.
One of my strongest memories from playing The Forest was birds constantly flying straight into my mouth while I was trying to build a base. Hunger was never an issue.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Initial impressions for Sons of the Forest. Note I didn't play the first one so this is a 100% fresh experience:

- Absolutely beautiful and immersive. It feels like you're really lost in a forest trying to survive and I'm totally loving it.

- Hunting/gathering has felt very intuitive and satisfying. Want sticks? Chop down smaller trees. Bushes will give you some leaves, and big trees seem to be for building logs only. I've killed rabbits and squirrels for meat that I can cook and eat but I haven't managed to get a deer yet.

- Kelvin (your brain-damaged companion) is great. He's been gathering sticks, pointing at locals that show up, and generally doing what I tell him. Sometimes he ran off in odd directions when I told him to follow or decided he needed to come with me when I told him to wait at camp. But the fact that he's like lobotomized or something makes what's probably bad AI more amusing and endearing than anything and I'm glad he's around helping/being an idiot.

- The inventory is cool, but kinda weird and I feel like I'm missing something. The only way I've found to switch weapons is to open the inventory entirely which lays out a mat with everything you have on you. Then you have to pick your new weapon to use. Like my guy can't carry the axe on his hip and swap to it?

- Crafting system is cool but I feel really lost. I set a fish trap in the river and didn't catch anything after a day. Does it only work in a pond/lake? The Ocean? It even let me build it on land but I couldn't move it after, so I have no idea if I'm even putting it in a spot where it will catch fish. This will probably get better with experience and when people can offer tips but it's extremely barebones on how things work, for better or worse.

- The biggest challenge so far is... figuring out how to drink water consistently. Sometimes I can walk up to the edge of the river and get a prompt to drink. Other times I have to be nearly swimming in it for the prompt to show up, and sometimes it never shows up at all. :confused:

- I've only chopped down 1 tree so far since I'm still trying to figure out where to make my base. But it is in fact a Grade-A lumberjack simulator, the damage to the tree seems based on where you hit it and you can see as you slowly chop through it. It also seemed to fall roughly in the direction you'd expect based on how you chopped through the trunk. I can't wait to find a good, defensible spot and chop all the trees.

- The island inhabitants have been very intriguing and really add to the experience early on. I was more interested in the survival than the horror but I'm enjoying how it starts out with them and figuring out how I should react. Early encounter information:

The first encounters I've had were with the dudes that run on all fours and just kinda watch you from a distance. They seemed curious/afraid and weren't aggressive so I just let them be. I went to a beacon that was on my map and this strange-rear end lady with four legs and three arms or something shows up but then gets scared of me and runs away. I see some people standing around bloody skulls and stuff so I decide to avoid them. The next day I start seeing more of the chimp dudes and while they don't attack outright they're definitely acting more agitated and circling/running up to me at my camp. Then the strange lady shows up at my camp and is acting afraid, and the chimp dudes start throwing rocks either at me or at her. I decide I need to put my foot down so I kill them both. The initial combat with the spear felt pretty good and I was able to dispatch them without many issues. The lady then ran away. I picked up their bodies and dumped them on my fire, which burned off all their flesh and let me collect their bones/skulls. Really cool!

Overall, if you want to feel like you're surviving in a forest I think it's worth picking up. I've encountered some jank (drinking water) but nothing totally game breaking. I'm excited to hop back in and see how it progresses!

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 23, 2023

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Hakarne posted:

- I've only chopped down 1 tree so far since I'm still trying to figure out where to make my base. But it is in fact a Grade-A lumberjack simulator, the damage to the tree seems based on where you hit it and you can see as you slowly chop through it. It also seemed to fall roughly in the direction you'd expect based on how you chopped through the trunk. I can't wait to find a good, defensible spot and chop all the trees.

A) Can you die to tree?

B) In BotW trees fall in the direction you're facing and they make some comment about like trees fall in the direction your hips are facing or whatever, and that just sounded like it was true that I got it into my head that that's how it works in real life. But it seems like intuitively it should work in the way you're describing here. I wonder what the truth actually is.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Not sure how I feel about this friend of yours in Sons of the Forest.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

explosivo posted:

Not sure how I feel about this friend of yours in Sons of the Forest.

I don't like it at all. Strikes me as really gross.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

HopperUK posted:

I don't like it at all. Strikes me as really gross.

It also just seems kind of out of nowhere and completely unnecessary, like if they absolutely had to give you an AI partner they could probably have make it A Dog that shows up instead and it would serve the same purpose without making me feel weird about it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

It also just seems kind of out of nowhere and completely unnecessary, like if they absolutely had to give you an AI partner they could probably have make it A Dog that shows up instead and it would serve the same purpose without making me feel weird about it.

Well, watching some streams, he's doing stuff like carrying around logs and building a shelter for you, which it wouldn't make much sense for a dog to do. It doesn't seem as bad as I expected, although I haven't seen the introduction to the character yet, so maybe there are more problematic elements there. He's deaf/mute but he doesn't seem like they're portraying him as otherwise cognitively disabled from what I've seen (other than early access AI in any game being shoddy at points). Like you write stuff on a notepad for him to do and he'll read it and nod, and someone said if you treat him poorly he'll stop doing what you want, so he's not totally without agency. Although again how well that is working in early access, who can say.

Apparently if having him around really bugs you, you can just kill him off, although I don't know if that's any better!

From streams the game generally looks nice although very much The Forest, updated. I'm gonna wait until further in early access and for more reviews of the late game before I decide on it. I liked the early game in the Forest but not how much the enemies seemed to ramp up and get hostile even if I tried to keep my disturbing the environment to a minimum.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 23, 2023

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Oh sweet, looking forward for finding a fun way to kill him :)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I don't think there's anything super problematic with the portrayal or anything it's just that I'd rather be alone in the Forest or have a friend in my game playing with me and a silent AI man skittering around behind me wherever I'm going is not really what I want from this. I am glad to hear that he has some agency, they don't really make it clear at the start if he's just deaf or what happened but I got kinda worried about where they might go with it. I refunded it anyway, I think this is one that if I did play I'd want a more finished version like how I played the first one with a friend of mine.

Edit: I should also say the very positive reviews seem to be propped up by a whole lot of meme upvotes with no time played saying stupid poo poo like "wow i cummed" or "chasing naked women 11/10" so yeah!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This was in various previews, but I'll spoiler just in case re: SoTF silent companion

You can supposedly get other companions than him, and if some videos have been accurate, I certainly will be going for a three-handed naked mutant lady instead