Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
if Denver isn't on the coast, where do Rocky Mountain Oysters come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I like that even in that new alignment, Pittsburgh and Philly are somehow still not in the same division.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

duomo posted:

if Denver isn't on the coast, where do Rocky Mountain Oysters come from?

They come from the tiny mountain town of Bofa

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They come from the tiny mountain town of Bofa

A Sugandese delicacy.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
red sox, mets, yankees, phillies would be a great division though

great for me to hate every team!!!!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how would the schedule even work with 32 teams

4 games each against every team in the other conference: 64
5 games each against the two "non-neighbour" divisions: 40
7 games each against the "neighbour" division: 28
10 games each against divisional rivals: 30

two-game series on the other coast seems like an awful idea unless road trips are scheduled really, really carefully

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
why do we need to expand again? Just move a team from a terrible market there....

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

why do we need to expand again? Just move a team from a terrible market there....

The Nashville Rays just doesn't have a nice ring to it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Forrest on Fire posted:

So just rename them lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ah yes put the Dodgers and Giants in different divisions, a very smart baseball man indeed

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I just want to see this Orioles/Pirates/Nats/Charlotte division play out. Suddenly the Orioles have 130 wins

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the famed mid-Atlantic city of, erm, Pittsburgh

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

expansion fees $$$$$$$$$$

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Forrest on Fire posted:

true

move the A's there instead

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

expand to 32 teams
reduce season to 155 games
play a true balanced schedule of 5 games against every opponent, alternating HFA each year

alternatively:

expand to 32 teams
expand season to 168 games
8 games (4 home + 4 away) x 15 intraleague opponents = 120 games
3 games x 16 interleague opponents = 48

Bring back The Pennant as a trophy for winning your league in the regular season

both of these are more balanced than the current "balanced" schedule change this year

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Get rid of divisions, maintain permanent rivals via scheduling.

Do an East/West divide, 16 teams a side.

And while I’m dreaming, remove the playoffs and go full on archaic baseball. World Series is East v. West, best of 7.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Six divisions of five teams each

California - A's, Giants, Dodgers, Angels, Padres
West - Mariners, Rockies, Rangers, Astros, Diamondbacks
Somewhat West - Royals, Cardinals, White Sox, Cubs, Twins
Less West - Reds, Guardians, Tigers, Brewers, Blue Jays
Not West At All (North) - Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Phillies, Pirates
Not West At All (South) - Orioles, Nationals, Braves, Rays, Marlins

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Johnny Bravo posted:

true

move the A's there instead

better idea - force all the terrible owners who refuse to spend to sell their teams and let the A's stay in Oakland where they are loved and give them a new stadium since there won't be a ghoul in charge holding everything up

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paper Tiger posted:

One mega divison, call it a "table" and then whoever finishes first gets a trophy and then we have the playoffs, call it "the Champion's League" and that's a different trophy.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

https://www.mlb.com/news/dana-brown-discusses-role-as-astros-general-manager

Some nice comments from new GM Dana Brown. Please do what you did with the Braves and sign Kyle Tucker long term!!

MLB.com: You mentioned some possible contract extensions with some players. Obviously, Kyle Tucker, Framber Valdez and Cristian Javier are at the top of that list for the Astros. Where do you stand with that? Are those conversations that have already started?

Brown: We've started. Tucker, we've been in conversation. Some of the stuff was started prior to me coming. We had some talks with Tucker, of course, because it's coming up on the arbitration hearing, and Javier, he's also coming up on the arb hearing. … We've been in contact with some of the agents to get some thought process.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Paper Tiger posted:

Stop punishing the Mariners by making them fly to Texas 50 times a year.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Some Numbers posted:

Stop punishing the Mariners by making them fly to Texas 50 times a year.

Hey, I don't make the rules (and it turns out there's a very good reason for that)

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

better idea - force all the terrible owners who refuse to spend to sell their teams and let the A's stay in Oakland where they are loved and give them a new stadium since there won't be a ghoul in charge holding everything up

that'd be cool too, i just thought the Nashville A's sounded better than the Nashville Rays

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Nashville Sounders

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would love a Yankees mets Red Sox Phillies (wildcard) division. That would be tons of fun.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

GoutPatrol posted:

Nashville Sounders

They’re in it to win it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

One mega divison, call it a "table" and then whoever finishes first gets a trophy and then we have the playoffs, call it "the Champion's League" and that's a different trophy.
:hmmyes:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

zoux posted:

I think it should be two leagues... One of the 20 best teams in that one "table" and then the 10 shittier teams play with 10 other shittier teams in the second table... Regular season success and playoff success in that league "promotes" you to the other.... While the bottom 2 in the top table face "relegation"

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I CAN'T KNOW HOW TO HEAR ANYMORE ABOUT TABLES!

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Baseball might be the only American sport where a promotion/relegation system might work. I imagine most fans of bottom 10 teams check out by May, so having something to play for late year might drive more fan interest in those markets. The longer developmental curve and more team control over prospects plays into it too, since baseball is the one sport where there's no potential for a 1-2 year turnaround with a good draft.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/PalIahAbdul/status/1623363176229179392

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I feel bad for laughing at that

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Blind Pineapple posted:

Baseball might be the only American sport where a promotion/relegation system might work. I imagine most fans of bottom 10 teams check out by May, so having something to play for late year might drive more fan interest in those markets. The longer developmental curve and more team control over prospects plays into it too, since baseball is the one sport where there's no potential for a 1-2 year turnaround with a good draft.
Disagree, I think promotion and relegation requires dedicated fanbases at all levels who will support a team even when it's not a top competitor. To me that sounds like college football far more than MLB.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Yankees getting relegated would be incredibly funny tho.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Disagree, I think promotion and relegation requires dedicated fanbases at all levels who will support a team even when it's not a top competitor. To me that sounds like college football far more than MLB.

Relegate the A's to the Pac-12

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I would like Mexico City as an expansion team so we get even more massive dong shots.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The actual reason MLB will never get promotion & relegation is the same reason for most of the financial fuckery. A majority of owners fall into the Nutting camp of low-effort profitability. They will never give up the guarantee of profit from a losing team.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know they swap around so are MiLB clubs owned by the league or by the teams

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Joe West having a normal retirement

https://twitter.com/gifs_baseball/status/1623379431791140872

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

College football realignments are pretty much the pre-pyramid soccer setup from 120 years ago. Texas and the Sooners are joining the SEC (a top tier) so the Big 12 (who are a step down, effectively) is inviting a bunch of teams like UCF out of the ACC (who are a definite second-tier).