Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think for what you're looking for, you should be able to come in a couple hundred under your budget. Just about anything with an SSD and 8gb of memory should do ya. As for build quality... well laptops are a nightmare for that, so yeah, I'd ask that thread. I need a new one for some trips this year, so I'll probably be buying something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaadee
May 3, 2013

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hey computer toucher people - I need a new laptop. Mine has finally given up the ghost. The fan is dead so it overheats, the screen is busted so I have to use an external monitor and the battery sucks so much I basically have to have it plugged in all the time.

I want a laptop that can do all the basic poo poo like email and shitposting, but also maybe something that’s strong enough to run video if I’m streaming or whatever without any lag. I don’t want to go super expensive but I also don’t want a hunk of poo poo either. Looking to spend around $1k.

There’s all kinds of stuff on Best Buy and those places but I’m functionally illiterate when it comes to that kind of stuff and was hoping someone knew of something worthwhile that also might be a good deal.

I purchased a laptop last spring anticipating a use case that never manifested. Got maybe 2 weeks of use and has been unused since then except to reset the OS to a fresh state. It's a Dell G15 5511. Has a discrete video card so can do gaming but is not blinged out or super heavy. Do some googling on the model and let me know if you're interested and I can provide exact specs. Cost me ~$1400 or so on sale from around $2000 and I'd let it go for under your limit.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've been very happy with my last couple Dell XPS laptops.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I've wanted a stationary bike for a while since I am not a treadmill person and ellipticals are bulky. I don't want a Peloton or an expensive fancy one, just a bare bones basic one that I can use on my 2 work from home days plus Saturdays.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I've wanted a stationary bike for a while since I am not a treadmill person and ellipticals are bulky. I don't want a Peloton or an expensive fancy one, just a bare bones basic one that I can use on my 2 work from home days plus Saturdays.

You can go super basic and get a Schwinn fan bike. They are cheap and have very few electronics. Downside is they’re loud and a little heavy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Much like everything else they seem to break every 4-5 years, but I've currently got the previous model of this schwinn which is decent enough for when I'm playing games: https://www.schwinnfitness.com/290/100948.html

I've had it for a bit over 2 years and put somewhere around 15k miles on it so far and it's still going strong at least. Last one I had was a Nautilus that I had to replace the belt on after like 20-25k miles and then crapped out completely around 35k.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Get a Alienware laptop that’s big and expensive just for Crusader kings 3 like me, an idiot

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

build a desktop PC and then mostly post on forums and watch Hulu on it

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Building a PC is one of those things I’ve always wanted to do, but never gotten around to it yet. The graphics card ballooning in price thing didn’t help.

Also I’d also be the person using it for posting and games that wouldn’t need that much power at all

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Growing up, my good friend's dad had one of those bike trainer stands so he could put his existing road bike on it & work out while watching TV. If you have an existing bicycle that may be worth looking into.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tulalip Tulips posted:

This was me. Then I got a Peloton and holy poo poo are they addictive. It was no money down and a hundred bucks a month and I was like do I need that

and it was worth every penny. I love it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I badly want an exercise bike or a treadmill but my apartment is small so finding space for it would be mildly tricky. Bigger concern is the noise, since I’m on the second floor and the walls are just thin enough I know my neighbors would hear it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

build a desktop PC and then mostly post on forums and watch Hulu on it

I will have you know that I play many games that are 5-7 years old, sir. Not because I can't run new games, but because I'm cheap about that instead of the PC which would have been smart and have a backlog.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

wandler20 posted:

I've been very happy with my last couple Dell XPS laptops.

The XPS line is a good “prosumer” laptop and can usually be configured to fit under that budget. I use one of those for when I travel and have a Surface Studio Laptop in my home office. The non-Studio Surface Laptops are solid and since the 5th gen was just released you can get the 4th with 8GB RAM and a mid-level Ryzen for $700. It’s not going to wow anyone with specs but would be a great shitpost and streaming machine. They’re also pretty good looking imo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

fartknocker posted:

I badly want an exercise bike or a treadmill but my apartment is small so finding space for it would be mildly tricky. Bigger concern is the noise, since I’m on the second floor and the walls are just thin enough I know my neighbors would hear it.

This but a squat rack, which takes up even more space lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I like my MacBook Air a lot. My last MBP lasted 10+ years. Hope this one does the same.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Christ, some fucker in Montreal purposely slammed a bus into a daycare center this morning

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/2-children-dead-6-injured-after-city-bus-crashes-into-daycare-in-montreal-suburb-laval-driver-arrested-1.6264755

quote:

A parent at the scene alleged the driver "entered the daycare parking lot and accelerated to crash into the daycare."

"It was clear he wasn’t in his right mind at that moment," she said.

Laval Mayor Stephane Boyer said police are looking into the events prior to the crash, adding that the driver had been employed with the STL for a decade.

A neighbour to the daycare said he rushed over to the scene of the crash. Hamdi Benchaabane told reporters that he and three parents managed to subdue the driver, who he said had stepped out of the bus, removed all his clothing and started screaming.

"He was yelling, he didn't stop yelling," Benchaabane said. "The first thing he did was take off all his clothes after opening the bus door ... He was just yelling, there were no words coming out of his mouth."

He said he and the others had to strike the driver to get him under control, before police cuffed the man. The driver, he said, "was in a different world."

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Grittybeard posted:

I will have you know that I play many games that are 5-7 years old, sir. Not because I can't run new games, but because I'm cheap about that instead of the PC which would have been smart and have a backlog.

I feel this in my soul

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

get up early on saturday morning and go hit every garage sale in your area
every garage sale I've seen has exercise equipment and most of it is barely-used, and they'll let you plug it in and try it if they're not assholes, and you can probably get a treadmill for like a hundred bucks or an exercise bike for like fifty

for laptops avoid HP, they're encrusted with packaged apps, lately I have preferred lenovo or dell. I had to fix a dell recently and was very impressed with the availability of repair manuals, and the way the interior was designed to be upgraded or fixed. They sell lots of lenovos and dells to corporations who have their own internal IT departments maintaining their laptops.

I would not try to run windows on 8gb, I think 16 is a reasonable minimum for a modern laptop to run win10/11 on.

The one thing I don't like about my current work Dell is that I have to plug my ethernet cable into a dongle that plugs into the side of the laptop where I want to position my mouse most of the time. I don't know why they didn't just put an ethernet jack on the back, it's weird. IMO a pretty good option is to go to Costco and just look at what they have there so you can notice little "features" like that before you buy, and because Costco has a great return policy so if you decide you're not happy it's not a pain in the rear end to get a refund.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Grittybeard posted:

I love my steam deck

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hey computer toucher people - I need a new laptop. Mine has finally given up the ghost. The fan is dead so it overheats, the screen is busted so I have to use an external monitor and the battery sucks so much I basically have to have it plugged in all the time.

I want a laptop that can do all the basic poo poo like email and shitposting, but also maybe something that’s strong enough to run video if I’m streaming or whatever without any lag. I don’t want to go super expensive but I also don’t want a hunk of poo poo either. Looking to spend around $1k.

There’s all kinds of stuff on Best Buy and those places but I’m functionally illiterate when it comes to that kind of stuff and was hoping someone knew of something worthwhile that also might be a good deal.

You can get a brand new M1 MacBook Air at Costco for $799 right now. It’s last year’s model, but it should be fine. (M1/8GB RAM/256GB SSD)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

You can get a brand new M1 MacBook Air at Costco for $799 right now. It’s last year’s model, but it should be fine. (M1/8GB RAM/256GB SSD)

I’m not sure I want a MacBook but I didn’t even think of looking at Costco for laptops in general

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’m not sure I want a MacBook but I didn’t even think of looking at Costco for laptops in general

It pretty much nails everything you want it for, honestly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm a big fan of being able to actually try the keyboard and look at the screen before buying a laptop because those are kind of subjective experiences. Also try prying a bit at the bezel, twist the screen a bit, see if the case easily starts to break open or come apart or if it feels well constructed and solid. Try the trackpad. That kinda thing.

Costco's good for that.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
There's a special place in hell for people who recommend buying a Windows laptop with 8GBs of memory.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, they're all upgradeable, but yeah just get the same model with 16gb for like $50 more.

Nov 6, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

I mean, they're all upgradeable, but yeah just get the same model with 16gb for like $50 more.

No my friend, most laptops these days that comes with 8GB are soldered specifically so you have to buy the more expensive model to get more memory.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

in my defense, I have not bought a laptop in nearly a decade, I didn't look before spitting out those numbers.

in my day 128 mb of Dimm would get you to.... okay no even back then it was terrible for windows 95, even going from running 16mb of simm through Dos.

Nov 6, 2002

Look if you remember having to modify your config.sys file to get your memory resident applications under 640 KB of memory you will forever recommend more memory.

Always get hardware with as much memory as you can afford.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I feel this in my soul

Lol imagine not spending hundreds of hours playing a game made in 2004

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Try closing a tab every once in a while

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

No my friend, most laptops these days that comes with 8GB are soldered specifically so you have to buy the more expensive model to get more memory.

Whaaaat I have never, not ever once seen one of these? I have seen laptops where all the sockets are full so you'd have to replace rather than just add a module, but I've not seen hard-soldered memory on a computer since the late 1980s.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Leperflesh posted:

for laptops avoid HP, they're encrusted with packaged apps, lately I have preferred lenovo or dell. I had to fix a dell recently and was very impressed with the availability of repair manuals, and the way the interior was designed to be upgraded or fixed. They sell lots of lenovos and dells to corporations who have their own internal IT departments maintaining their laptops.

:hmmyes:

My last two laptops (barebones for sitting on the couch and doing online stuff or streaming Steam from my main PC) have been Lenovos bought from Ebay that were two or three years old after being leased to a company and used as a work laptop. Pretty sure the battery is the first point of failure on both, and those can be purchased new and swapped out easily.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Freaquency posted:

Never

Nov 6, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Whaaaat I have never, not ever once seen one of these? I have seen laptops where all the sockets are full so you'd have to replace rather than just add a module, but I've not seen hard-soldered memory on a computer since the late 1980s.

It is extremely common. Almost all the major OEMs are doing this now, including many with their "business" oriented series.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/394655/why-dont-more-laptops-have-upgradable-ram-ask-an-expert.html

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

There's a special place in hell for people who recommend buying a Windows laptop with 8GBs of memory.

Maybe, but a Mac will work with that. But you do have to choose your memory at time of purchase or you’re boned. (Soldered in like above)

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Freaquency posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq3mJi8VZdw&t=49s

Nov 6, 2002

Freaquency posted:

sounds like a big fat waste of time op

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Lots on the cheaper end are like this. Field serviceable units like Dell’s XPS and Latitude lines don’t, and I would assume the Lenovo business-class don’t either, but you start getting down to the discount stuff and it becomes more prevalent.

Some sellers have also gone the iPhone route where everything is glued to hell and back, but I think that’s at least in part due to the push to make things thinner and lighter, so the places where traditional screws might work don’t anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Lenovo's T-series Thinkpads now have soldered RAM too.

The dumbest part about this is by making these laptops impossible to upgrade it's contributing to you guessed it - ewaste.