Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Can confirm butt tape test. I didn't have worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son has been doing really well potty training at daycare but for some reason strongly prefers to wear a diaper at home and it's really hard to get him to sit on the potty. we've tried a sticker chart - he actually just completed the first one (25 stickers!) tonight and got a present, so hopefully that will motivate him. i've been trying to think of other ways to get him excited about stickers, because often when i ask him if he wants stickers/a present to sit on the potty he just says no.

anyway, one thing i thought of is that he gets a sticker every time he gets home from daycare without having an accident that day. but are the action and reward too far apart? he turns 3 in april so i know he's still pretty young. at least he's making GBS threads and pissing at school i guess lol.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Every couple weeks I accidentally brush my teeth with the kids' toothpaste and don't realize it til the bubblegum sparkle hits my taste buds

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kid started stuttering in the last ~2 weeks, mrs. hadlock and I went on our Big Trip, while she was at Grandma's (4 hours plane ride away) for like a week and a half, then went back to school and then a week after that they moved her to the next classroom up (her birthday missed the cutoff by like ~a month). She's had a lot going on for a 2 year old so thinking that might have some impact.

Started off as "wha-wha-wha-what are you doing?" or "wha-wha-what is that?" and tonight she kept putting a glass of OJ on a precarious spot and I kept moving it so she points and tells me "put it rih-rih-right here"

Apparently stuttering at 2 is not uncommon? Especially once language skills start to kick in, and "often goes away on its own" according to doctor google? Maybe it will go away by summer? Half writing this out here, so I have it documented for later. At 1 her speech was really clear and it's kind of regressed. She's in a spanish language immersion thing so that's probably not helping either. At first I thought it was her being cute and picked it up from another kid (always W-words) but it's started creeping into other words too now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Was digging through old posts, not a lot in a decade of posts about stuttering

Organic Lube User posted:

We don't have a stutter here, but she does tend to roll all of the helper words of her sentences into "na na na na" so she'll say something like "Grandma na na na counter" if she wants her grandma to pick her up and set her on the kitchen counter. We usually try to clearly enunciate what we think she said back to her so she can hopefully hear the right way to say things but it is slightly troubling.

Honestly this seems like an amazing life hack as a toddler. You know what I want, I know what I want, I'm not gonna put forth the effort to fill in the blanks, and you're just gonna have to comply with my wishes

I wish all my meetings were like this "you hosed up the thing na na na we're doing it my way now" :allears: almost like an episode of seinfield or something

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Both my kids (2 and 6) have done that at some stage. I just attributed it to the mouth learning how to catch up with the brain, it hasn't been an ongoing problem.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
You know what's cool? A kids birthday party at DART ZONE. Basically paintball but with nerf guns.

You know what's not fun? Being the parent of the only kid not old enough to load the guns himself, and being the only unarmed adult in the mix, out of cover, in broad sight. It's only nerf darts how much can they hurt? I can wear shorts.

Answer: ow

The funniest part was that he eventually found his fun standing in the back and just sending darts down range. He's never had a nerf blaster before so he didn't need a target, kiddo was happy enough just shooting the drat thing indiscriminately. I had the pleasure of witnessing him nail the birthday boy square in the forehead from about 20 feet away

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My oldest has a stutter. It comes and goes. He's had speech therapy on and off. He's currently in the process of getting an IEP at his school about it. It's greatly affected his ELA testing because one of the ways they get tested is reading a passage into a mic on a computer. Of loving course he's not going to do well.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just got a message that my 1 1/2 year old is hitting other kids one month into her daycare experience. Sucks to hear, but I've been assured its normal by the teachers and we just need to work with her on being gentle, other kids feelings, etc.

Just hard when you know that hardly anything is sinking in at that age.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
gently caress yeah new born photo shoot proofs came in today. Time to scrape the site of all the pic then we get to pick 25 to be post processed. I'm fuckin hyyyyyype

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just got a message that my 1 1/2 year old is hitting other kids one month into her daycare experience.
Eh at least she's not a biter. That poo poo's contagious.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Eh at least she's not a biter. That poo poo's contagious.

Can confirm. One day we were notified that our daughter had bitten another kid - this was around 2½. The next day, her friend had bitten another kid, and the next day, it was another.

It ended after a week or so but the staff seemed genuinely worried.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'd be worried too if my daycare was ground zero for the zombie apocalypse

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The teacher said its pretty normal once theyre in class for a bit and start to feel more comfortable.

She also described it as less hitting and more her trying to get a kids attention or as overzealous high fives which she definitely does. Just something to try and correct as we see it at home I guess.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Aww, little guy. All cuddled up, napping. It's so quiet, I miss you so much! It gets lonel--OH gently caress nonono don't wake up, shhh, shhh, shhhhhhh.... alright, where were we... awwww, I miss you little buddy, wish you were awake to hang out with!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

does anyone have any tips on introducing bottles into feeding? my wife is going back to work in a bit more than a month so we definitely need to get our little girl used to the bottle before then.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Both wife and I got rebound covid after a paxlovid regimen that had us test negative for a few days. Kiddo didn't have paxlovid and is now fine, post infection.
We are both bivalent boosted, kiddo had only the 3-shot initial vaccine.

Are there similar experiences out there? CDC and other sources claim anywhere from 1% to 25% rebound rate, and claims are that it's paxlovid-irrelevant.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

does anyone have any tips on introducing bottles into feeding? my wife is going back to work in a bit more than a month so we definitely need to get our little girl used to the bottle before then.

I never bothered with bottle warming or anything like that.

Took a couple of days where my kid was missing her mom, but ultimately on day 3-4 it was no problem and she took to it.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

lobster shirt posted:

We did it gradually, like starting at specific feed of the day, every day, being bottle. Then, gradually expanded the bottle instead of breastfeeding to all daytime feeds.
I think it was about a month until it was breastfeeding only at night type thing, but that then lasted for a long time after we exhausted the multi-month pumped stash.
The biggest issue at first was getting the temperature right for her to eat it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like warming bottles. But mostly my advice is to not contort your arm during bottle feeding, do the pleasant "hand up elbow down" posture instead of the unpleasant but more intuitive "keeping your elbow above the wrist".

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Very unscientific but of my friend circle almost all of them reported some level of rebound. It takes about 2 weeks for the body to mount a full immune response so if you caught it very early and began treatment immediately you might still be in the first 7 days of the ~14 days it takes for your immune system to start manufacturing targeted antibodies and B/T cells for the specific sub-sub strain of BA.5 you caught

Also if you got the booster back in September your immunity begins to drop off after ~90 days based on various reports I've read. That's enough to get you through new years but some people immunity wanes fast after 90 days

Feel better soon

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Hadlock posted:

Feel better soon

Thanks. That very informative and kinda how I rationalized to myself.
I'm ok now, and feel like would probably test negative if I tested today, but I don't want to waste :10bux: on a hunch.

Rocketwitch
Sep 2, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Aww, little guy. All cuddled up, napping. It's so quiet, I miss you so much! It gets lonel--OH gently caress nonono don't wake up, shhh, shhh, shhhhhhh.... alright, where were we... awwww, I miss you little buddy, wish you were awake to hang out with!

:emptyquote: :3:

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Let me just grab this glass container to put the leftovers in... poo poo, how did I drop this?... Three bounces?!?!?... Still asleep? Ummm... Ok?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Let me just grab this glass container to put the leftovers in... poo poo, how did I drop this?... Three bounces?!?!?... Still asleep? Ummm... Ok?

This is my experience, except on the way up from squatting to pick up the container my elbow knocks over a glass on the counter that shatters and then wakes the baby

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have just joined your ranks. Our daughter Ayelet was born at 4am from an emergency c-section and this is our first night at home. I'm expecting some late night posting in my future/present. Very out of it but glad we are okay.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Congratulations! Post any and all thoughts or questions. Good luck.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
You think your house is pretty well baby proofed, then your kid manages to split his forehead open on a door hinge.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
If there is something they can hurt themselves with in your house, it will be found by their head.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
It‘s like this guy but for real:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jOtxFtKULwA

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I caught my son almost trying to shove something into a socket and I yelled at him with such a burst of frightened intensity that he has never experienced. You know how kids in studio ghibli movies do that thing when they are scared when they pause and goosebumps roll over their entire body? It was exactly like that.
Good lord, I didn’t think he could reach up there…

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

remigious posted:

I caught my son almost trying to shove something into a socket and I yelled at him with such a burst of frightened intensity that he has never experienced. You know how kids in studio ghibli movies do that thing when they are scared when they pause and goosebumps roll over their entire body? It was exactly like that.
Good lord, I didn’t think he could reach up there…

Our entire house has outlet covers, including the high up ones. Very cheap and effective solution to prevent any shocking experiences.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have a handful of those rotating nightlight things. Toddler pulled it out and tried to "plug in" a phone charger cable to it to be helpful. Hard to walk the line between "thank you for helping" and "omg ur gonna shock yourself, STHAP"

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Euro parent here being incredibly grateful for Euro sockets that are harder to stick things in, but also envious of your 120V power which gives a child a pretty decent chance of surviving a shock compared to 230V.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Tamper resistant outlets started being required in the US by code in 2008. But that doesn't mean people always follow that. Also, nobody's going around their pre-2008 home swapping all their outlets out. They annoy me, but they do their job pretty effectively.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Koivunen posted:

You think your house is pretty well baby proofed, then your kid manages to split his forehead open on a door hinge.

My son split his eyebrow open on the door frame once. I feel you

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Schools…wtf to do.

Our kid will be 5 in October. Based on Connecticut policy, that means he starts kindergarten this Fall. His preschool teachers and us are all confident in his abilities to excel but he’s a little on the small side (always has been). If we had the option, we’d lean towards keeping him back a year but it doesn’t seem like we do unless we research and alternate preschool (most preschools in Connecticut won’t keep him unless he’s deemed special needs).

Connecticut schools are pretty good, as are the public ones in our town. They also have busses, though we would drive him and pick him up the first year at least.

There are some options for magnet/STEAM schools that are close to my work, offer after school programs, but do not have busses.

I dunno the difference between the schools because when I went to school, magnet and stem/steam didn’t exist. I’ve heard some people usually elect for magnet schools if their own public schools aren’t good, but that’s not the case here.

Curious as to any opinions on the matter. We’re going to an open house later this month which will have a bunch of schools in attendance and registration is in March.

Another concern would be later on in life. Like, we can pick him up and drop him off for the foreseeable future, but eventually having him take the bus would be good. I’d wonder how his education could be affected if we pulled him out of magnet and into public a few years down the road. He’d lose some friends which would suck.

nwin fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 10, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

My son split his eyebrow open on the door frame once. I feel you

loving doors, man. I swear I have to be constantly vigilant for my kids putting their fingers into the hinge side of the door. I almost, ALMOST closed the door and saw my son's hand in there, it felt like I poo poo out my heart for a second.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Euro parent here being incredibly grateful for Euro sockets that are harder to stick things in, but also envious of your 120V power which gives a child a pretty decent chance of surviving a shock compared to 230V.

eh, I survived more than one 230v shock as a kid I once showed a fork into a outlet at my grandmas.

Also JFBs are common now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Brawnfire posted:

loving doors, man. I swear I have to be constantly vigilant for my kids putting their fingers into the hinge side of the door. I almost, ALMOST closed the door and saw my son's hand in there, it felt like I poo poo out my heart for a second.

My kid stuck his hand in the car door hinge as I was closing it one day. I swear to god time slowed down and I watched the door slam on his hand in slow motion.

Luckily his hands were small enough and the door had enough open space in it that nothing came of it but woof, it was scary as hell

WrenP-Complete posted:

I have just joined your ranks. Our daughter Ayelet was born at 4am from an emergency c-section and this is our first night at home. I'm expecting some late night posting in my future/present. Very out of it but glad we are okay.

Hello friend and congratulations. My unsolicited parenting advice is that when people give you unsolicited parenting advice, you tell them to shut the gently caress up