Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Lol baseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lollontee posted:

no, it's because finland is a country of 5,6 million people, and sweden is a country of 10,5 million people. last time, the implicit threat of a swedish intervention in the winter war, was what forced stalin to seek a negotiated peace, instead of unconditional surrender. swedish military cooperation in the event of a war with russia is absolutely critical to finnish sovereignty (and by extent, swedish as well), and afaik the militaries of both countries agree and have plans readied. there is no official alliance however, as a rapidly disappearing vestige of the cold war neutrality of both countries.

Joining the same military alliance as your bigger neighbor is a classic move, but have you thought about : Greater Finland?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

The hersh story seems 100% believable. But why does russia say the uk did it?

Guess you need to day something even if you know poo poo?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

seymour hersh the qanon conspiracy theorist

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

genericnick posted:

Joining the same military alliance as your bigger neighbor is a classic move, but have you thought about : Greater Finland?

lol

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

comedyblissoption posted:

seymour hersh the qanon conspiracy theorist

basically what the libs are running with, yes

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
oh and norways fuckways, nobody gives a gently caress about them

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zedhe Khoja posted:

basically what the libs are running with, yes

The libs are saying that?

Well that’s a first!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

lollontee posted:

the nukeshitting spaceship is actually the only practical interstellar engine we have. and it actually works

Yeah but launching it into space would probably kill most life on earth so kind of a mixed bag

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ardennes posted:

I think a lot of Western journalists getting high on their own supply and thinking of course India would align with Western interests because it has its issues with China, but in reality India has since the 70s been much closer to Russia than the US and the amount of Soviet/Russian arms in their inventory speaks to that. Also, something similar can be said of Vietnam.

The US going all in against Russia not only forces China’s hand but also traditionally more Russian aligned states like India and Vietnam. In addition, not to mention much of the global south and Iran and possibly Turkey. Also, South Korea has been keeping its head down, and Japan may eventually join in.

I guess some US companies came out well…but it is also a good question how sustainable the current situation in Europe is because higher energy costs are going to only going to be costing them more in the long term and it doesn’t really seem they are in shape to promote state investment. It doesn’t seem sustainable in the mid/long term (also I don’t think serious rearmament is going to happen beyond perhaps Poland).

———

Also far as Kherson it seemed like a lost cause once the Ukrainians brought in blowing the dam, but at the same time it really didn’t seem they got much in terms of captured men and material.

Also that Rybar piece is kind of dumb tbh.

the indian state under lal bahadur shastri of all people realised that the US would randomly cut off military equipment and aid when needed, and had never looked back until Modi started his poo poo.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hatebag posted:

Yeah but launching it into space would probably kill most life on earth so kind of a mixed bag

you build it in space

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

is that because finns would feel like it would hurt relationships with sweden? also, how do swedes and finns feel about norway?

well, if the poo poo hits the fan and you can't transit through sweden then it would be kinda hard to get that mythical nato cavalry to save finland. not that i doubt that nato would happily use us as a speedbump for the russian steamroller

also the norwegians are basically swedes except they speak funny and generally aren't a buncha pricks

lollontee posted:

the very name of finland is exactly that, "the eastern territory"

no it isn't?

i was open to alternative explanations, but given this i'm convinced that everything that hersh wrote in 100% true

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Regarde Aduck posted:

you build it in space

the early concepts were actually to have it launch with nuclear pulse propulsion from the ground, insanely enough (still probably small/controlled enough they wouldn't really amount to more than a few atmospheric tests, although I should probably actually check the papers because they were loving insane back then)

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Majorian posted:

The libs are saying that?

Well that’s a first!

i really hate that twitter is blocked in turkiye right now.
can't follow any conversation

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

yeah the western twitter intelligencia crying about it is pretty much all the evidence you need

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tankbuster posted:

the indian state under lal bahadur shastri of all people realised that the US would randomly cut off military equipment and aid when needed, and had never looked back until Modi started his poo poo.

Yeah, but in the end, even Modi could figure out that going all the way with the US just wasn’t in India’s best interests and preferred to keep the more traditional balance of power in place.

Not only does China not want Russia to be too weak against the US but India and Vietnam don’t want Russia to be too attached to China.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

you build it in space

Ok, if you get your hundreds of tons of concrete for the sail and probably thousands of nuclear bomblets for the bomb rectum into space then wouldn't you blow up a bunch of nukes in orbit which would send a bunch of radioactive particles to earth? It still doesn't seem ideal to me but i guess if you build it in space it'll just give everything cancer

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

the early concepts were actually to have it launch with nuclear pulse propulsion from the ground, insanely enough (still probably small/controlled enough they wouldn't really amount to more than a few atmospheric tests, although I should probably actually check the papers because they were loving insane back then)

Yeah, that launch method is what i had read but i don't think you're getting a concrete monstrosity into space for that little radiation

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hatebag posted:

you're supposed to construct it in orbit, or launch the whole structure with conventional rockets

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
single stage to orbit makes jeb happier though

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hatebag posted:

Ok, if you get your hundreds of tons of concrete for the sail and probably thousands of nuclear bomblets for the bomb rectum into space then wouldn't you blow up a bunch of nukes in orbit which would send a bunch of radioactive particles to earth? It still doesn't seem ideal to me but i guess if you build it in space it'll just give everything cancer

if you blow them up in the orbit, the radiation would be a fart compared to the lethality of what the sun sends flying our way every day

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cuttlefush posted:

single stage to orbit makes jeb happier though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hatebag posted:

Space is full of deadly radiation constantly being blasted everywhere, the atmosphere mostly protects us and individual nukes are loving tiny compared to the whole goddamn earth. Not to mention you could just use chemical thrust to get it out a little further beforehand if you really gave a poo poo. Suffice it to say these are fundamentally solvable engineering issues, having nukes in space is the insurmountable catch on principle.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The nukeshitter is also funny because how are you gonna stop that thing? It would kick rear end to fly to another solar system and just immediately shoot into the star

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Hatebag posted:

The nukeshitter is also funny because how are you gonna stop that thing? It would kick rear end to fly to another solar system and just immediately shoot into the star

stop shiting for a sec, turn 180, start making GBS threads again

basic rocket science

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hatebag posted:

The nukeshitter is also funny because how are you gonna stop that thing?

banana in the tailpipe

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Yeah but then you're making GBS threads against momentum. Better have a rowdy rear end in a top hat!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hatebag posted:

you turn around and poo poo the nuke at your direction of travel. inertia is rather simple that way, which is why those gigantic springs plus plate can absorb the instant nuclear energy safely, without turning everyone inside the spacecraft into jelly

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Best Friends posted:

If it was the US (likely given the story) it was done by seals. which means it’s a matter of time until there’s 27 competing memoirs about being the guy who planted the bomb.

At which point the narrative shifts to “we ALWAYS knew the us did it, tankie”

Hersch specifically claims it wasn't the seals but the deep diving guys.

Seals apparently some shallow boys. Lack that depth.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hatebag posted:

i have surprising news 4 u about the sun

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He claims it was the navy because seals etc are special operations and thus must notify congress when they do things whereas the regular navy mine clearing dudes don't

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Orange Devil posted:

Hersch specifically claims it wasn't the seals but the deep diving guys.

Seals apparently some shallow boys. Lack that depth.

funny to imagine them talking to each other on the mission using serious lingo but they all have hosed up probably chipmunks voices from trimix or whatever they'd need to use at that depth

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

also the norwegians are basically swedes except they speak funny and generally aren't a buncha pricks

I got a blown pipeline that says Norwegians are total pricks, actually.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

I got a blown pipeline

Ouch!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Word to your mother.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the early drafts of project orion were made when scientist really, really didn't understand just how dangerous radiation was to the human body. as for doing the nuclear launch from the surface... i mean yeah, it's dangerous but you could do it in the pacific, and bother the chinese. seriously though, a combination of initial nuclear launch from underwater, with conventional rockets to get you the rest of the way beyond the upper stratosphere, where you could start making GBS threads nukes out without causing a statistically detectable amount of cancers in the people below, you could.... have sex with nuclear rocket computer

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Hatebag posted:

Yeah but then you're making GBS threads against momentum. Better have a rowdy rear end in a top hat!

Do you think chemical rockets work with a different version of inertia??

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

If the nukeshitter is going even half light speed it would have to poo poo a nuke with instantaneous velocity of 150,000,000 m/s to get a nuke in its path of travel to a safe distance. Rail guns only do 2500 m/s. Maybe they could have rockets with nukes on em to poo poo out for braking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

A picture of the "He fights for freedom" WW2 style propaganda posters but its an ukranian ultra nationalist emblazoned with a bunch of nazi imagery.

Majorian probing anyone that says hes a nazi.

A "He fights for freedom" poster but showing a malnourished aging forced conscript with a pistol pressed against the side of his head to keep him in the trench.