Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

WhiteHowler posted:

Still waiting for an allocation on my custom Bolt EUV order, but the dealership called me this morning saying a buyer had backed out on another EUV. Different trim level and boring-rear end gray, so I passed.

It might be a sign that with the car market potentially taking a downward turn, EVs may get easier to find/buy soon.

Somehow Kia will continue to limit their EV sales to only a few cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Interest rates going up are going to be pushing a lot of people away from big purchases at the moment I think, I'm seeing Mach Es for sale around here that actually exist, Tesla doesn't have a backlog for the first time (ever? In a long time?) Etc.

Anyways, spent 9 hours in this car yesterday thanks to Vancouver traffic and border wait times, my butt is doing fine, ACC is awesome for the traffic. Collision avoidance went off randomly one time, I think due to water spray from a car in the next lane, but it cleared almost immediately and barely braked.

Interesting foible in the Bolt's ACC, it won't use regen more than 10kW while going down mountains, it uses three hydraulic brakes after that point, whereas there were sections of road I was getting 20+ kW of regen on coming down from Whistler when using one-pedal driving.

Pretty drive, Bolt is a great road trip car, it does not fit a snowboard inside very well.

Spent about 55 minutes at DCFC stations, 20 of that was due to my GF's work trip getting extended, so she had to drive to my work and hand off the car and so I didn't have time for a full charge, in total the Bolt did like 1300 miles in a week between us.

My last DCFC stop I got up to 52kW at a Chargepoint charger, thanks to about 90 solid minutes at 70-75 MPH. This charger was also insanely cheap, like cheaper than market rate electricity, and it tops out at 125 kW! At $1.75 an hour that's like $0.02 per kWh!

E: I've generally had great luck with Chargepoint chargers, but holy gently caress, stop putting touchscreens that are completely open to the weather on the drat things! They're useless in the PNW 9 months out of the year! I don't want to pull my drat phone out in the rain just to unhook the charger from my car! People live in places other than SoCal! I ended up shooting the poo poo with a dude in a 40kWh Leaf, who was waiting for my spot, for the 2 minutes the Chargepoint servers were talking to the charger.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 6, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

Still waiting for an allocation on my custom Bolt EUV order, but the dealership called me this morning saying a buyer had backed out on another EUV. Different trim level and boring-rear end gray, so I passed.

It might be a sign that with the car market potentially taking a downward turn, EVs may get easier to find/buy soon.

I'm looking at some used cars and there are price cuts popping up on everything, so there's definitely a downward turn for used cars at least.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

E: I've generally had great luck with Chargepoint chargers, but holy gently caress, stop putting touchscreens that are completely open to the weather on the drat things! They're useless in the PNW 9 months out of the year! I don't want to pull my drat phone out in the rain just to unhook the charger from my car! People live in places other than SoCal! I ended up shooting the poo poo with a dude in a 40kWh Leaf, who was waiting for my spot, for the 2 minutes the Chargepoint servers were talking to the charger.

Tesla did this right, IMHO: put the controls in the car.

Most of the screens in New Mexico are so badly sun-damaged that even if they still respond to touch, you can't read them. It's a dumb design that I guess we're stuck with now.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I can use ChargePoint by tapping my phone to it, no need to navigate the screen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I can use ChargePoint by tapping my phone to it, no need to navigate the screen.

:same: I also use my phone to end the session so I never actually use the screen n the charger.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
bmw ix trip report: my neighbor thinks the car looks so good that i've caught him in my driveway twice excitedly showing it to people

i did not expect this to happen

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

TwoDice posted:

bmw ix trip report: my neighbor thinks the car looks so good that i've caught him in my driveway twice excitedly showing it to people

LOL nice

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They are actually laughing at it, aren't they

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
the iX has really grown on me

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

They are actually laughing at it, aren't they

that's what I thought at first lmao but I heard him from indoors before he knew I was there

edit: I think part of it is the base grille looks a lot worse than the sport one

TwoDice fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 7, 2023

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Sent my Roadster to a new home today! (San Diego Automotive Museum)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 7, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

Sent my Roadster to a new home today!

The parking lot at the San Diego Automotive Museum? :thunk:

e: gosh that's a pretty car

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

cruft posted:

The parking lot at the San Diego Automotive Museum? :thunk:

I thought the exterior would make a better photo than their nondescript loading bay.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

TwoDice posted:

BMW have mastered the art of making cars that look really stupid in photos and videos, but super nice in person. I was pretty surprised how much I liked the ix when I saw one at the dealership. The newer 4 and 2 series have the same kinda effect going on too imo.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I love my big grilled BMW I4

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Return from Vegas largely at night was nice because there weren’t any heat shimmers to confuse the Autopilot. I had already opened a service ticket regarding its poor performance on the way down just to see what they’d say. They said pretty much what I expected, that it was a known problem and they were working on it. Service guy that called me tried to blow smoke up my rear end and say that it was a common issue with both radar and sight based systems and I told him to quit lying to me because I’ve owned 5 other cars with radar system and they basically never do poo poo like this. We didn’t have a lot to talk about after that.

I ran into a guy at a supercharger that was out from Michigan and he was like “wtf is going on with the phantom braking?” Because he’d never really experienced it because it won’t happen if you’re in traffic (because it has another vehicle to “lock on” to) and it really only happens when you get those heat mirages on asphalt which some areas just don’t really get much. But if you do a lot of road trips and live in a place like Nevada where there’s frequently not traffic to lock onto and there’s constantly heat mirages, I probably wouldn’t recommend a radar less Tesla. Not sure how Subarus do, aren’t they also vision only?

Between the Ford system that is bad at steering and the Tesla system that is bad at braking I guess I’d still take the Tesla just because it works fine around town and on my daily commute and the Ford didn’t, so the tesla is annoying like 3 times a year whereas the Ford was annoying nearly every day.

e: I do think the Ford system is more likely to be “fixed” sooner though like I think Fords lovely steering is an easier problem to solve than teslas braking problem. But that also begs the question why hasn’t Ford solved it yet.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 8, 2023

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sometimes Tesla's autopilot sucks in slow traffic too. It loves to accelerate and brake too hard, maybe to prevent other cars from cutting them off.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Sometimes Tesla's autopilot sucks in slow traffic too. It loves to accelerate and brake too hard, maybe to prevent other cars from cutting them off.

Tesla innovating again being first to market with AI Road Rage.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I had read that but the one or times times I’ve been in stop and go it was decent. My wife didn’t bitch about the acceleration in either direction so it couldn’t have been bad because she loves to complain about my cars.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I can't find an AI thread on self-driving. I have opinions based on my personal experience but I know it'll drag this thread into another three-page slapfest.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cruft posted:

I can't find an AI thread on self-driving. I have opinions based on my personal experience but I know it'll drag this thread into another three-page slapfest.

Try the Musky YOSPOS thread

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cruft posted:

I mean what’s there to discuss it’s all an unregulated hell with zero accountability and the majority of big players on the space have pretty much bailed on it. A better focus on improved safety features is the best we can hope for on the personal vehicle space. There’s also the smart road tests here and there (Dublin, OH has a corridor) with the goal of improving car connectivity but that’s tech that’s still a ways away.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

In a desperate attempt to avoid the exact thing I was trying to not start, here's another effortpost about electric scooters. Like, motorcycles you can step through.

Cruft jr is going to college this summer and I would like some way to get around if ms cruft needs the car for going to work in some remote-rear end village 300 miles away.

First let's meet the main players I've identified:

CSC Wiz

CSC, this company in California, imports these things from China and mods them a whole bunch to I guess bring them up to US standards.

Top speed: 45-ish MPH
Range: 60 miles
Price: $2500
Noteworthy: Comes with a color-matched storage case on the back, windscreen, mirrors, and charger

CSC Monterey

Top speed: 25-ish MPH
Range: 60 miles?
Price: $2300
Noteworthy: I mean just look at that thing

Vespa Elettrica

Top speed: 45-ish MPH (they make a slower one too)
Range: Can't tell, probably about 60 miles?
Price: $8000 :classiclol:
Noteworthy: $8000

Dad's old LEAF

Top speed: 90 maybe? 120? More than I would ever need
Range: 60 miles at this point
Price: $8000-ish
Noteworthy: Has a heater and a stereo. Has doors. Has a roof. Can charge it with the thing we already have in the driveway. Don't need special clothes to operate it. Could probably get a bitchin' stereo in there with Android auto. Carries over twice as many passengers. More comfortable in the rain. One day, possibly soon, we might be able to use its battery to run the house (you can already get a thingy to do this in Australia).

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 8, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cruft posted:

In a desperate attempt to avoid the exact thing I was trying to not start, here's another effortpost about electric scooters. Like, motorcycles you can step through.

Cruft jr is going to college this summer and I would like some way to get around if ms cruft needs the car for going to work in some remote-rear end village 300 miles away.

First let's meet the main players I've identified:

CSC Wiz

CSC, this company in California, imports these things from China and mods them a whole bunch to I guess bring them up to US standards.

Top speed: 45-ish MPH
Range: 60 miles
Price: $2500
Noteworthy: Comes with a color-matched storage case on the back, windscreen, mirrors, and charger

CSC Monterey

Top speed: 25-ish MPH
Range: 60 miles?
Price: $2300
Noteworthy: I mean just look at that thing

Vespa Elettrica

Top speed: 45-ish MPH (they make a slower one too)
Range: Can't tell, probably about 60 miles?
Price: $8000 :classiclol:
Noteworthy: $8000

Dad's old LEAF

Top speed: 90 maybe? 120? More than I would ever need
Range: 60 miles at this point
Price: $8000-ish
Noteworthy: Has a heater and a stereo. Has doors. Has a roof. Can charge it with the thing we already have in the driveway. Don't need special clothes to operate it. Could probably get a bitchin' stereo in there with Android auto. Carries over twice as many passengers. More comfortable in the rain. One day, possibly soon, we might be able to use its battery to run the house (you can already get a thingy to do this in Australia).

Is this a joke post or is there really so few options in the us?

A random query of the currently on sale electric mopeds in italy is 283 models
https://www.moto.it/listino-scooter-elettrici

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

E bike also works

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

You’d be sharing a road with an endless amount of giant murder trucks and bad drivers so I can’t imagine the interest is there unless you’re suicidal or driving it on small town communities. I’d say if you’re looking at a scooter for short rides you’d be better off looking at e-bikes since you can (hopefully) use bike lanes and safer lanes to travel on.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Haha. Hello from a small town!

It snows here in the winter. When the road gets plowed, that snow goes into the few bike lanes that exist.

Bicyclists just ride in the road a lot of the time. We just make allowances here.

In reality, 45MPH is fast enough that I can keep up with everything else on the road for most places I'd need to get. So the CSC Wiz or the expensive Vespa is perfectly workable.

SlowBloke posted:

A random query of the currently on sale electric mopeds in italy is 283 models
https://www.moto.it/listino-scooter-elettrici

I sure as hell can't find anything else. I could travel to WASHINGTON DC and get a Niu. Then spend the next month getting it back home.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cruft posted:

Haha. Hello from a small town!

It snows here in the winter. When the road gets plowed, that snow goes into the few bike lanes that exist.

I said hopefully!!! And yeah uh if you get snow where you live you’re SOL. I’m still trying to get better maintenance/snow plowing on our lanes but it’s still up to property owners so those lanes may as well not exist in winter :negative:

I should jokingly spec heated concrete bike lanes and see what cost those come up.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I said hopefully!!! And yeah uh if you get snow where you live you’re SOL. I’m still trying to get better maintenance/snow plowing on our lanes but it’s still up to property owners so those lanes may as well not exist in winter :negative:

The roads people in the government only have so many dollars they can spend. I get it.

I know the people who show up to the meetings don't seem to get it, and I admire you for keeping this job.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

As an electric motorcycle owner, if your kid needs a vehicle, and it's going to be his only vehicle, the electric car is a way better idea than an electric scooter.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean what’s there to discuss it’s all an unregulated hell with zero accountability and the majority of big players on the space have pretty much bailed on it. A better focus on improved safety features is the best we can hope for on the personal vehicle space. There’s also the smart road tests here and there (Dublin, OH has a corridor) with the goal of improving car connectivity but that’s tech that’s still a ways away.

They haven't bailed on autonomous driving. In fact, Mercedes is committed to reaching level 3 before Tesla.

https://www.engadget.com/mercedes-first-certified-level-3-autonomy-car-company-us-201021118.html

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

As an electric motorcycle owner, if your kid needs a vehicle, and it's going to be his only vehicle, the electric car is a way better idea than an electric scooter.

The scooter would be for me, since jr is taking the Bolt to college.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nfcknblvbl posted:

They haven't bailed on autonomous driving. In fact, Mercedes is committed to reaching level 3 before Tesla.

https://www.engadget.com/mercedes-first-certified-level-3-autonomy-car-company-us-201021118.html

I thing he’s probably referring to Uber, Waymo, etc either getting out of the business entirely or pivoting to tightly constrained use cases like geofenced taxi services, local delivery, etc. Nobody seems especially bullish on L5 anymore.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

WhiteHowler posted:

Same here, but for a Bolt EV that I ordered in December.

Supposedly dealers aren't getting any EV model allocations until possibly May. I called today and apparently Domino's Pizza is buying them all right now. Which I guess maybe explains why so many of them are white.

That full tax credit was soooo close...:shepicide:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I just got an ad on TikTok a VW dealer in my area specifically saying they have id4s in stock. Slowing demand from fuel cost stabilization and increased interest rates?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Lo and loving behold, my avenger delivery date got pushed forward another month(now it's April).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I would probably get a scooter, because it's fun, and I like being on two wheels.

But "second car so I can go grab pizza and beer when the wife has my car" is probably a more sensible option, and a cheap Leaf is the ideal car for that, ultra low maintenance costs, cheap etc.

I'm kinda in the same boat, I need to beg my GF for my Bolt back for a day so I can go snowboarding Friday, for example.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

This C-SPAM thread is for you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862673

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cruft posted:

Ill throw in the Sur Ron, they seem to be the best of the Chinese dirtbikes. The Light Bee (it has gone through a few names) costs $4400, will hit 45 and has up to 60 miles of range.

edit: chopped out the giant quote