Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I would like to join this thread and ask for advice on dozens of EDH deck I am constantly working on. First up is a bog standard Miirym dragons deck. I want it to be as good as it can be while staying on theme as a purely dragon tribal deck. What am I missing? What will get me more dragons out faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cut all the enchantments except Dragon Tempest and the token doublers, add Reflections of Littjara and more 2 mana rocks in their place

Edit: some rituals would be good too, like seething song, mana geyser, jeskas will and irencrag feat

Edit 2: comedy option dockside extortionist

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 8, 2023

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I haven't played EDH in a long while and I got rid of most of my cards because I burnt out on anything competitive years ago. But I'd like to get back in at like a casual level and shoot the poo poo with people. I got a precon (Prosper from the D&D set), but down the line, what's something that won't break the bank to build? My favorite colors are BUG (open to others though), I'm not big on really focused grave gimmicks like Muldrotha, and I like "mean poo poo" and enchantments. Previous favorite commanders have been Talrand, Sky Summoner; Damia, Sage of Stone, and Nath of the Gilt-Leaf.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 8, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

WerrWaaa posted:

I would like to join this thread and ask for advice on dozens of EDH deck I am constantly working on. First up is a bog standard Miirym dragons deck. I want it to be as good as it can be while staying on theme as a purely dragon tribal deck. What am I missing? What will get me more dragons out faster?

https://scryfall.com/card/ons/306/cryptic-gateway

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Nehru the Damaja posted:

what's something that won't break the bank to build? My favorite colors are BUG (open to others though), I'm not big on really focused grave gimmicks like Muldrotha, and I like "mean poo poo" and enchantments.

Tatsunari, Toad Rider

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I haven't played EDH in a long while and I got rid of most of my cards because I burnt out on anything competitive years ago. But I'd like to get back in at like a casual level and shoot the poo poo with people. I got a precon (Prosper from the D&D set), but down the line, what's something that won't break the bank to build? My favorite colors are BUG (open to others though), I'm not big on really focused grave gimmicks like Muldrotha, and I like "mean poo poo" and enchantments. Previous favorite commanders have been Talrand, Sky Summoner; Damia, Sage of Stone, and Nath of the Gilt-Leaf.

Prosper is actually one of the best precons to come out in years out of the box and he builds to various power levels easily.

For BUG I’d definitely just go infect/poison if you don’t want to do yard shenanigans. There’s also a weird BUG land stax build you can do, or maybe a racist deck like horrors or something? There’s good green and black partner elves too.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Nehru the Damaja posted:

what's something that won't break the bank to build? My favorite colors are BUG (open to others though), I'm not big on really focused grave gimmicks like Muldrotha, and I like "mean poo poo" and enchantments. Previous favorite commanders have been Talrand, Sky Summoner; Damia, Sage of Stone, and Nath of the Gilt-Leaf.
How about Toxrill, the Corrosive

He really just wins the game all on his own while you overrun the world with slugs.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Also, you know what else won't break the bank? That's right, proxies. If you just follow my affiliate link... Seriously, though, if you're just gonna play with friends or your LGS is cool, proxy up a bunch of decks for a fourth of the price of one. I think I got 504 proxy cards for $160 (shipping and taxes included) and I got cards printed on both sides so it was a total of ten decks. That's 10 cents per card!

E:

Wizards will sell your their own proxies but they're $250 for 15, they're random, and from a very limited selection.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I just ordered 5 proxy decks and 1 proxy pack of mardu mana staples, think I can chill for a bit. I say that even though I'm brewing a budgetish Zeriam griffin tribal deck right now.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TheLawinator posted:

I just ordered 5 proxy decks and 1 proxy pack of mardu mana staples, think I can chill for a bit. I say that even though I'm brewing a budgetish Zeriam griffin tribal deck right now.

I await your post next week where you gave in and ordered five more decks.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Myrkul looks fun as hell. Is it exceptionally pricy to put together?

Serf
May 5, 2011

I really want to order 10 decks double-sided, but I can't shake the knowledge that I will immediately want to tinker with them and if I change one card well now I can no longer flip the cards around and have a different deck.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Serf posted:

I really want to order 10 decks double-sided, but I can't shake the knowledge that I will immediately want to tinker with them and if I change one card well now I can no longer flip the cards around and have a different deck.

Just put lands and staples on the "back" of things imo if you're doing the back thing, rather than actual decks.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Myrkul looks fun as hell. Is it exceptionally pricy to put together?

It depends on how hard you wanna go. A lot of the cute tricks are rather inexpensive but the hardcore legends like avacyn and elesh norm are pricey.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Lmao

https://youtube.com/shorts/V7cNXlIvUlg?feature=share

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you liked Talrand, give Ovika, Enigma Goliath a shot. It's a legendary from the latest set and is like if Talrand was actually good again, plus you get access to all of the fun red synergies with it, like damage multipliers, poo poo like Cavalcade of Calamity/Raid Bombardment, Impact Tremors and sac for damage outlets like Goblin Bombardment and Makeshift Munitions. You could probably build a sweet casual Ovika deck pretty cheap, since most of the cards I mentioned are under a buck iirc

Edit: also you get access to even more token producers that trigger on instants/sorceries or even just non-creature spells like Young Pyromancer, Saheeli, Sublime Artificer, Third Path Iconoclast, Murmuring Mystic and even Talrand. The Locust God would even fit the deck if you decide to run a bunch of card draw spells.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 10, 2023

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

I made a bunch of high res proxies for a tawnos, the toymaker deck using midjourney. Each card type loosely follows a theme vaguely related to toys or blueprints, made a bunch of extra cards for tinkering this project took way longer than I thought it would but you can check out my finished project here:

https://imgur.com/a/YomIDfH

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

bird. posted:

I made a bunch of high res proxies for a tawnos, the toymaker deck using midjourney. Each card type loosely follows a theme vaguely related to toys or blueprints, made a bunch of extra cards for tinkering this project took way longer than I thought it would but you can check out my finished project here:

https://imgur.com/a/YomIDfH

You expect me to believe a bird made all of these?

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

You expect me to believe a bird made all of these?

a bird and a copy of a bird that is an artifact in addition to its other types

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

bird. posted:

a bird and a copy of a bird that is an artifact in addition to its other types

:hmmyes:

Those are really good looking, nice work

Silhouette posted:

Edit: also you get access to even more token producers that trigger on instants/sorceries or even just non-creature spells like Young Pyromancer, Saheeli, Sublime Artificer, Third Path Iconoclast, Murmuring Mystic and even Talrand. The Locust God would even fit the deck if you decide to run a bunch of card draw spells.

Shark Typhoon, Metallurgic Summonings are two good and harder-to-interact-with-than-creatures options, although ST is pretty pricey for a budget deck.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Could an enchantment focused deck be viable at cEDH?

My meta is focused on Turbonas, Thoricle, and Breach Combo decks. My Edric Turns is usually enough to take a game to turns but if that happens we tie out more then anything.

Just thinking of the Melissa DeTora deck from an Early Game Knights episode and how quickly it could ramp up and take over a “fair” game. Just not sure if there is enough there since SOI / EMN standard to support an Enchantment cEDH deck.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nystral posted:

My meta is focused on Turbonas, Thoricle, and Breach Combo decks. My Edric Turns is usually enough to take a game to turns but if that happens we tie out more then anything.

Just thinking of the Melissa DeTora deck from an Early Game Knights episode and how quickly it could ramp up and take over a “fair” game. Just not sure if there is enough there since SOI / EMN standard to support an Enchantment cEDH deck.

I think Playing with Power has had someone play Go-Shintai

https://youtu.be/n--wT7PoO3A

https://youtu.be/v86dq0YJJ5c

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What breaks if literally any card can be commander, including noncreature spells or even lands.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Khanstant posted:

What breaks if literally any card can be commander, including noncreature spells or even lands.

It makes the game orders of magnitude more optimizable and therefore boring, imo

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
So I have this basterdized version of the cEDH Tivit artifact deck that I have slowly been getting cards on the cheap from a store closing sale, cardsphere and random sales. Which is great because I've gotten some stronger cards but now cuts need to be made. The biggest weakness at the moment is that the deck can fall into a draw go for up to the first 7 turns. I recently added rhystic remora and esper sentinel but I'm wondering if I should just add some generic draw X cards

Possible cuts

Ovalchase daredevil/underworld cookbook - The original idea for this deck was to play this with academy manufacturer but the stars really need to align for it to happen. I can get the cook book with Urza's saga but need to naturally draw both the daredevil and manufacturer. This is the first logical cut (and then making an asmo deck) but it hurts to do.

Drafna - Haven't drawn him in a game yet but I think he's going to be too slow and there aren't enough ETB to really abuse until I have enough mana to start doubling things. Kinda interesting though.

T3feri - A recent pickup along with displacer kitten but those 2 probably fit better in my dungeon crawler flicker deck if I want to keep the heavy artifact theme.

34 lands - I think without more of the super fast artifact mana this is the minimum land count. When the count was 30-32 there were just too many opening hands that were unplayable.

Thoughts?

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 13, 2023

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
What is your desired win condition?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LanceKing2200 posted:

What is your desired win condition?

A Time Sieve combo deck as Tivit's trigger creates five artifact tokens.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A Time Sieve combo deck as Tivit's trigger creates five artifact tokens.

Right but if the whole point is just to time sieve off you need more support than just Tivit itself. You need either ways of making Tivit unlockable (since you need to deal combat damage to trigger a vote) or you need to be able to flicker it every turn. I don't see either of those in here.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Generally there is at least one player without a flier or I can use a removal spell to clear the way. But that's where academy manufacturer helps to get all three tokens regardless of the vote. Or if I'm desperate I can start saccing non-token artifacts but generally I just hold off.

I do see how displacer kitten would help flicker tivit if push came to shove.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Doesn't the deck also run the typical Thoracle win condition?

E:

I see you said it's a bastardized version. Nvm

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

MasterBuilder posted:

Generally there is at least one player without a flier or I can use a removal spell to clear the way. But that's where academy manufacturer helps to get all three tokens regardless of the vote. Or if I'm desperate I can start saccing non-token artifacts but generally I just hold off.

I do see how displacer kitten would help flicker tivit if push came to shove.

The problem in my experience is that even if there's one opponent you can get in on, you only have "infinite turns" until they die, at which point if you haven't drawn a way to create a new target, you're out of gas. Even with AM you're still on the clock to find a way in on your remaining opponents, and even worse once one opponent is dead you're getting less tokens per swing.

Something as simple as Deadeye Navigator or Trailblazer's Boots can turn "kinda infinite" into " I 100% win if no one has removal".

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

LanceKing2200 posted:

The problem in my experience is that even if there's one opponent you can get in on, you only have "infinite turns" until they die, at which point if you haven't drawn a way to create a new target, you're out of gas. Even with AM you're still on the clock to find a way in on your remaining opponents, and even worse once one opponent is dead you're getting less tokens per swing.

Something as simple as Deadeye Navigator or Trailblazer's Boots can turn "kinda infinite" into " I 100% win if no one has removal".

Right. Actually this has reminded me that I was going to add Team pendant (shadowspear's cheap trample friend) as another searchable target from Urza's saga to deal with this exact situation.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Nystral posted:

Breach is an enchantment? But if you're talking like an enchantress style deck, it really struggles. You really have to draw the right combination of ramp and enchantresses at the right time or it kind of stalls out. If you're going to do it it's probably stax.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MasterBuilder posted:

So I have this basterdized version of the cEDH Tivit artifact deck that I have slowly been getting cards on the cheap from a store closing sale, cardsphere and random sales. Which is great because I've gotten some stronger cards but now cuts need to be made. The biggest weakness at the moment is that the deck can fall into a draw go for up to the first 7 turns. I recently added rhystic remora and esper sentinel but I'm wondering if I should just add some generic draw X cards

Possible cuts

Ovalchase daredevil/underworld cookbook - The original idea for this deck was to play this with academy manufacturer but the stars really need to align for it to happen. I can get the cook book with Urza's saga but need to naturally draw both the daredevil and manufacturer. This is the first logical cut (and then making an asmo deck) but it hurts to do.

Drafna - Haven't drawn him in a game yet but I think he's going to be too slow and there aren't enough ETB to really abuse until I have enough mana to start doubling things. Kinda interesting though.

T3feri - A recent pickup along with displacer kitten but those 2 probably fit better in my dungeon crawler flicker deck if I want to keep the heavy artifact theme.

34 lands - I think without more of the super fast artifact mana this is the minimum land count. When the count was 30-32 there were just too many opening hands that were unplayable.

Thoughts?

If I was building Tivit, it would look a little more like this, just to give you an idea: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/w6KZNPI2cEuKy8SEydCa1w

Honestly, the only things I really cut for $$$ are fetches/duals/otawara/0cc rocks/demonic/vampiric/urza.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 13, 2023

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Raven Man looks cheap and fun. Does it actually want the Megrim effects though? I can't help but think something more decisive should take their place, especially since recurring minor annoyance cards imo draw disproportionate ire at a table.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Discard strategies turn the game into a slog, imo. Like, unless you're killing the table with Tinybones activations or something, everyone else is just sitting there topdecking while you slowly put something together.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Discard strategies turn the game into a slog, imo. Like, unless you're killing the table with Tinybones activations or something, everyone else is just sitting there topdecking while you slowly put something together.

At the first Commander Party event I went to my pod had a discard deck in it and we all sat there not playing magic for two hours waiting for him to combo out. It was the most unfun game I have ever played.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

WerrWaaa posted:

At the first Commander Party event I went to my pod had a discard deck in it and we all sat there not playing magic for two hours waiting for him to combo out. It was the most unfun game I have ever played.

And it's not like you can even prevent it from happening by killing the Commander on sight or something. The whole drat deck is built around that gameplan, so everyone's gotta strap in for a lovely time. I totally agree with the posters ITT that say that if you're gonna play stax or a similar strategy, to make sure you have a way to win quickly.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

If you're running say a commander like Kroxa, and then running discard and sacrifice effects, that's basically a stax deck. You can often grind that out but people kind of hate it. Raven man, Tinybones, Waste Not, Tergrid, Rankle, Asylum Vistor, Quest for the Nihil Stone, conspiracy theorist, containment construct, glint-horn buccaneer, Ob Nixilis, stuff like that.

There are plenty of ways to build a grindy attrition deck that robs people of their hand and punishes them for having no hand. But people will preferentially blow up your stuff once they know what your deck does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Mass discard is like mass land destruction in that it punishes the player that's behind just as much as the player that's ahead. And if the discard player game plan gets interrupted right before they start to go off the game devolves into top deck wars.