Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Khanstant posted:

I mean there are at least a couple passes each Draft where I'd almost rather not have anything from it if that were allowed, save myself a click deck building later. On a pack I don't want anything from but someone else might, I'd like to at least know I won't have to face that particular threat

You know you can just drag stuff into your sideboard directly right?

If it's an entirely dead pick, then drafting to block someone else is reasonable in either context (or picking the best card, or the card the benefits your collection best), but if there's a good card for your deck, you're almost always better off picking the crd that's good for your deck, because there's only about a 50:50 chance you even play against the person who gets the good card you're passing, and if you do, there's a low chance they draw it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm pretty sure this is the worst group of rares I've ever had in a sealed pool.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Oh no not the best rare in the set

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the worst group of rares I've ever had in a sealed pool.

Eternal Wanderer + Urabrask's Forge + 4 blanks is incredibly good

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

thespaceinvader posted:

If it's an entirely dead pick, then drafting to block someone else is reasonable

NO

If it's an entirely dead pick, then you should be passing good cards not in your colours so that someone else takes them.

For example, if you're solidly green/white and pass good blue/black card late in pack 1, that lets people you're passing to see that blue/black is open and maybe will firm up their position if they haven't settled yet. But if you're passing them nothing but trash then they're still open to taking whatever gets passed from the opposite direction in pack 2, which might interfere on what you're doing.

Especially with league play which is not against opponents in your pod, the ideal situation is for you and everyone around you to cooperate and have great decks, and screwing around by hacking good cards you don't even want doesn't make it easier for you.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kashuno posted:

Eternal Wanderer + Urabrask's Forge + 4 blanks is incredibly good

I'm very light on white and red playables. I could try to go three-colour, or I could accept that I got a bunch of good green and black uncommons and try to make that work. Currently trying the latter strategy, but I'll also see if I can win games with my bombs.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Toozler posted:

Is Green Sun's Twilight just balls because it doesn't affect the board unless it's cast for 6?

This and when you cast it for six, you're very likely to only hit creatures that cost less than six mana, so not only is it slow, it's poor value when you do cast it. You're better off just playing a ~6 mana creature

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chamale posted:

I'm very light on white and red playables. I could try to go three-colour, or I could accept that I got a bunch of good green and black uncommons and try to make that work. Currently trying the latter strategy, but I'll also see if I can win games with my bombs.

I'm very curious about your deck and the rest of your pool if you're deciding not to play your Eternal Wanderer. Classic bomb, excellent when you're ahead or behind.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Conduit of Worlds is uhhhh insanely strong in limited

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Ended up losing the next game for a 3-3. They had two counterspells and a bomb; maybe if the format was more advanced, I'd have played around the first counterspell at least. Dunno if that would have helped against Ovika lol

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
In my last draft I ran into an opponent that played Monument to Perfection and actually had enough different lands in the deck to set it off (because I was stuck on mana for a while). Didn't really do anything with it and killed me with his wanderer and vraska PWs instead, heh.

Any advice on last 3 cuts or swaps for this deck? Maybe some of the 2/3 drops like Justiciar, Duelist, Punisher?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Went 4-3 with mediocre Simic flyers + big guys down in the Bronze queue. Blue Sun’s Twilight ended games twice when I drew it, then lost me the game when I forgot about Skrelv. Skrelv beat me in a 2nd game too with the unblockable clause. What a tiny little absolute beater.

Also Drivnod is wild - it’s not “indestructible til end of turn” it’s “indestructible counter “. Better hope you can exile him or you’re done.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

If I don't trophy with this absolutely nauseating deck, I'm going to go mad.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
BTW, that Minion of the Mighty deck that I go mythic with every season? Yeah baby we've got Copperline Gorge now. Just won with a mulligan to 2.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

elbkaida posted:

In my last draft I ran into an opponent that played Monument to Perfection and actually had enough different lands in the deck to set it off (because I was stuck on mana for a while). Didn't really do anything with it and killed me with his wanderer and vraska PWs instead, heh.

Any advice on last 3 cuts or swaps for this deck? Maybe some of the 2/3 drops like Justiciar, Duelist, Punisher?

Justiciar, Punisher, 1 mountain would be my picks.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

elbkaida posted:

I guess you have to have zero toxic to not slam Incisor Glider and Zealot's Conviction into every white deck in the format? They seem to be two of the best white cards

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i obviously was not very disciplined during this draft and was very slow to read the signals. i feel like there's a decent foundation for an artifact deck but i'm struggling to get the build right.

https://sealeddeck.tech/anSIW0Ldbd

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 8, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
This midweek magic is fun. There's too many cards I don't know so I just made a mono white fast curve deck. Got two wins from the opponent tapping out while I had a mana tithe in hand.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Singleton formats that aren't commander based baffle me tbh.

Sure, let's just make all the variance worse.
Otoh you don't get all the non-games where a commander ran away with the game. So many commanders you either have to kill on sight or you lose and it's nice to build Singleton decks without having to worry about that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This midweek magic is fun.

I got a random Jeskai control deck from MTGAZone and got 3-0 having played a single card across all three games (Impulse). MWM is great, highly recommended.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

You know you can just drag stuff into your sideboard directly right?

If it's an entirely dead pick, then drafting to block someone else is reasonable in either context (or picking the best card, or the card the benefits your collection best), but if there's a good card for your deck, you're almost always better off picking the crd that's good for your deck, because there's only about a 50:50 chance you even play against the person who gets the good card you're passing, and if you do, there's a low chance they draw it anyway.

I did not! That's actually cool, I'm not a great drafter and by the time it comes to put together deck I'm in the mood to play or do anything else so I sometimes end up with decks with the right colours and such but with bad inclusions I forgot to take out, if I sideboard em asap just keeps em out of the way.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

This format is pretty brutal so far, I'm not enjoying it very much. It feels very much like original Amonkhet, where you are super favored to win if you're on the play and 1 and 2 drops are king, because you either need to get poison counters on your opponent early or you need to block their early toxic creatures. Once they get that first poison counter, then every proliferate card basically becomes a burn spell. If you stumble at all like miss a land drop or don't curve out, you're probably dead. 17 lands has the rate of win on the play vs the draw at like 57%, which is crazy. Unless it's a planeswalker, I would not put anything more expensive than 5 mana in my maindeck, preferably 4.

This is the best deck I've built so far, which doesn't even have any rares. It's just cheap poison stuff and interaction.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh I am looking forward to playing out my RG draft now lol

https://twitter.com/Chord_O_Calls/status/1623396330155479041?t=bsyhpJs5BBfsUeqtTPJkxA&s=19

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This midweek magic is fun. There's too many cards I don't know so I just made a mono white fast curve deck. Got two wins from the opponent tapping out while I had a mana tithe in hand.

I noticed that ONE had a cool rat king (and I liked the pun), so I brought back the rats:

Deck
24 Rat Colony (DAR) 101
17 Swamp (ONE) 274
1 Echoing Return (MH2) 83
1 Faceless Agent (J21) 1
1 Nashi, Moon Sage's Scion (NEO) 114
1 Pack Rat (RTR) 73
1 Tribute to Horobi (NEO) 124
1 Karumonix, the Rat King (ONE) 98
1 Phyrexian Obliterator (ONE) 105
1 Bontu's Monument (AKR) 269
1 Herald's Horn (JMP) 469
1 Invoke Despair (NEO) 101
1 Mirror Box (NEO) 250
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
1 Barren Moor (ONS) 312
1 Desert of the Glorified (AKR) 288
1 Canyon Slough (AKR) 284
1 Fetid Pools (AKR) 293
1 Thoughtseize (AKR) 127
1 Nezumi Prowler (NEO) 116
1 Hive of the Eye Tyrant (AFR) 258

Disclaimer: deck is not good and you will have low winrate but it is fun and hilarious when it goes off.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 8, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Zero VGS posted:

BTW, that Minion of the Mighty deck that I go mythic with every season? Yeah baby we've got Copperline Gorge now. Just won with a mulligan to 2.

Can you post a list? I'm going to blow away all of my decks before this weekend and need a couple good ideas. Gruul is usually right up my alley.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I've been away from pioneer explorer for a bit, is there any space for a toxic tetsuko deck using mites and skrelv. Or is the format too fast for this nonsense.

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 9, 2023

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

Can you post a list? I'm going to blow away all of my decks before this weekend and need a couple good ideas. Gruul is usually right up my alley.

It's not particularly gruul, it's a pure combo deck.

This is my current iteration of it: Deck
1 Mountain
2 Chromium, the Mutable
4 Reckless Charge
3 Giant Growth
3 Karplusan Forest
4 Stomping Ground
3 Rootbound Crag
3 Faithless Looting
2 Temple of Abandon
2 Drakuseth, Maw of Flames
4 Infuriate
4 Terror of Mount Velus
4 Scale Up
4 Cragcrown Pathway
4 Minion of the Mighty
3 Old Gnawbone
4 Wild Shape
4 Rockfall Vale
1 Goblin Trapfinder
1 A-Earthquake Dragon

But it definitely needs some updates from the new set.

The general aim is 'attack with a 6 power Minion, use it to cheat in Terror of Mount Velus for 22 damage to face as early as turn 2' - it has quite a lot of nuance beyond that (e.g. wait til turn 3 and put a Minion plus Reckless Charge and another pump down in order to keep it in hand against removal, cheat in Chromium and protect then pump it for the last few points, etc) and it absolutely folds to Thoughtseize or any 1-mana removal. Don't keep any hand that doesn't have minion of the mighty (unless it has the Trapfinder and even then it's questionable unless you're down to like 2 or 3 cards)

The biggest benefit being whatever it does, it usually does quickly. You'll frequently ull to 0 and lose, but when you win you'll usually do it on turn 2, 3 at worst.

If you're making substitutions make sure and dragon you sub in has 6 power minimum (ideally 7, but e.g. Tyrant of Kher Ridges dealing 4 on ETB can do in a pinch) and can deal 7+ damage to face by the time it's hit for the second time - because 6 powered Minion plus 7 powered dragon means 13 damage, which if you're left attacking with only the dragon next round, you have to do 7 to win, so you either need to have a pump spell or have some other face damage to get you there. The only exception is Mount Velus because the double strike just ends the game. Anything below 6 power doesn't work at all because you won't finish out, and you likely won't be able to cheat another dragon in with only 5 power on the board.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 9, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Shooting Blanks posted:

- Mulligan until you get a Minion, or if you're feeling saucy you can keep the single Goblin Trapfinder which is guaranteed to give you a hasted Minion in hand when it dies (most non-aggro decks won't fall for it though, but it works against brainless non-evasive aggro opponents)

- If you're going first and have a path to a turn 2 dragon, or if you went second and they played a plains or forest, you are probably safe to slam Minion down and get ready to combo

- If you are expecting disruption, you can instead wait until you have 3+ untapped lands and use Minion + Reckless Charge + one more Pump spell to haste out the combo and possibly deal the opponent 22+ from nowhere if you've got Terror of Mount Velus. You can also hold Wild Shape to bait out removal if it makes sense.

- If you land a hit with Old Gnawbone you'll have a ton of treasure tokens. Use them to play your Faithless Lootings until getting a Chromium into hand, and then you can flash him out on the opponent's turn and give him Hexproof/Unbloackable as many times as you have cards left in hand. I get in that situation a lot and it's a good way to seal the deal in case they can somehow Wrath or remove Gnawbone on their turn.

Generally the lands will eat up your rares and the dragons are mostly Mythics, but there's plenty of flex in your dragon choice. But Chromium and Terror of Mount Velus have a level of finality that other dragons don't quite reach. Any dragon you pick that isn't Velus had better be 6+ power so you can keep cheating more dragons after you blew your pump spells.

I don't think there's any deck in the game that gets to 15 daily wins faster than this. You either blow them off the map on turn 2/3 or concede and move on, but I always hit Mythic near the end of season and have gotten in Top 1000 with it. It actually gets better the higher up you go because people tend to run less early disruption in Diamond for whatever reason.

Deck
4 Minion of the Mighty (AFR) 156
4 Temple of Abandon (THB) 244
4 Scale Up (MH1) 179
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Chromium, the Mutable (M19) 214
4 Cragcrown Pathway (ZNR) 261
2 Infuriate (STA) 41
4 Reckless Charge (MH1) 144
3 Giant Growth (WAR) 162
4 Wild Shape (AFR) 212
3 Old Gnawbone (AFR) 197
1 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
4 Copperline Gorge (ONE) 249
4 Faithless Looting (STA) 38
4 Terror of Mount Velus (THB) 295
4 Karplusan Forest (DMU) 250
1 Titan's Strength (THS) 145
1 Goblin Trapfinder (HBG) 56
1 Ancient Silver Dragon (HBG) 110

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

FWIW i've yet to hit mythic with it, but I don't bother pushing for all 15 wins, and it's tough to hit mythic on only 4 wins a day regardless of your deck, especially if you get a bunch of them drafting.

And my lands are not brilliant; I didn't wanna spend the wilds.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

FWIW i've yet to hit mythic with it, but I don't bother pushing for all 15 wins, and it's tough to hit mythic on only 4 wins a day regardless of your deck, especially if you get a bunch of them drafting.

And my lands are not brilliant; I didn't wanna spend the wilds.

The 4 Copperline Gorge are absolutely worth it; the deck gets exponentially more consistent with those + Stomping Grounds + Karpulsan Forest and Gorge is arguably better than the other two because a lot of people play that Izzet Symmetry Sage deck that can put you at 1 or 2 life in a couple turns.

Drakuseth, Maw of Flames I assume you just already had a few laying around. They are suboptimal because a) they don't trigger their ability the turn you cheat them in, b) they need rares when better dragons use Mythics which I'd wager most people have more wildcards for, and c) Chromium or Ancient Gold/Silver Dragon are godlike in comparison. But Chromium has such incredible synergy with Gnawbone Treasures + Faithless Looting that I'd prioritize crafting another 2.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Trophied my second draft, very out of character for me. Equipment was wide open.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

100% correct take RG is wild. My last draft was a RG build and was an easy 7-0, although I did have Lukka :v:

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Opened The Wanderer in my first two drafts so I did everything I could to force white (and I think I made at least one good W/G deck when I was passed three copies of the signpost uncommon). Either I'm terrible (and I am) or this format is blisteringly fast because I was barely able to get her on the board in 12 games (went 3-3, 3-3)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Zero VGS posted:

Lots of words on Minion of the Mighty

Thanks! Just burned a bunch of WCs on it, but half of the rares were for lands - which I'll always use anyway. Been a long time since I've played combo, so I need to get used to that, but looking forward to it!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I got stomped by blue decks with my gruul oil deck. I think I might try a blue black proliferate deck if I get the chance, when all the proliferate and spell stuff goes off it's just gross lol

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Somberbrero posted:

i obviously was not very disciplined during this draft and was very slow to read the signals. i feel like there's a decent foundation for an artifact deck but i'm struggling to get the build right.

https://sealeddeck.tech/anSIW0Ldbd

Moved to a more uw artifacts theme to go 2-3. Once I got a feel for the deck it actually felt solid, but it could not hold up to the huge green dinosaur or a deck that reanimated Evolved Spinoderm twice.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

My first event of the new set in Traditional Sealed, and it was a relatively painless 4-0. Having two possible decks helped a lot because of the possibility to just play removal.dec if I faced an opponent with huge threats my smaller toxic creatures couldn't eventually muscle past.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Not sure what to do in sealed. Went 0-3 on my first one and it looked decent.

Not sure what to do with this one: https://sealeddeck.tech/6auFE6MPxf

Black looks solid with removals, red has some too. Not sure if I have enough to win games though. I've been taking a MTG break since BRO started so I am slightly rusty.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Waffleopolis posted:

Black looks solid with removals, red has some too. Not sure if I have enough to win games though. I've been taking a MTG break since BRO started so I am slightly rusty.

I'm not a top tier player so take this with a grain of salt but I'd do something like this? https://sealeddeck.tech/GIEZDMctrO needs a few cuts but pairs your black removal with your green big dudes. I don't know if Conduit of Worlds is good enough but I think it could be? There may also be something there with white as that is a lot of aggressive cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Waffleopolis posted:

Those are some rough rare pulls.

Playing around with this I think the best base is UW artifacts. It's low and consistent enough to go under the bomb decks, and I think with your duals you could do a lil Black splash for the Twilight and any other removal you felt like.

There might be a better golgari toxic/proliferate deck in there overall but I'm not sure.