Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Did remind me of when Lord Sugar (does he have a cutesy abbreviation? LoSar maybe) believed an Onion article about them though lol

Sugarlordy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Suglord

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

smellmycheese posted:

There’s loads in his replies

The guy who wrote that tweet , Ned Donovan, is Roald Dahl’s grandson lmao

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Mostly I was rather baffled at the idea of "build a skyscraper on top of the station and cover it in the most boring city architecture imaginable but the building's still underneath so it's fine"

I'm quite partial to the old victorian brick and iron style stations, Darlington is built like that and the only thing it needs is some baffles to stop the wind blowing a gale through it.

Middlesbrough used to have that style of roof but the germans blew it up.

I do think Jago misses the point with "why do we even need more offices?"
Like with luxury flats, it's not about the offices, it's about the property speculation. It's just there to get sold to hedge funds and poo poo up even more of London.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
On a different note, I read that article about the "medals for MPs" thing, and it's actually funnier than it first sounds (if you think MPs are cunts, anyway).
Sir Charles Walker seems to be making the point - unintentionally, I think - that MPs are so critically short of life skills that a bunch of them can't even get a job after they leave office.

quote:

Some MPs [...] found it difficult to explain their skills to potential employers

Doesn't exactly sound as if we're sending the best and brightest to Westminster, does it? A bunch of cretins who can only get a job when it's handed to them by someone they met at a Durham University Conservative Association networking event, or by their dad.
Does the Job Centre Plus still run courses on how to apply for jobs? Maybe we should start sending former MPs there to get some valuable skills.

Also, get your tiny violins out for the poor 50% of former MPs who can't massage their time in Parliament into a better-paying job at the end of it.
Or don't. While it's sad that there are likely some decent MPs who struggle, I can't muster any real sympathy for a group who can't plan in advance (as they always tell the public to do) or even look online for some tips. Even this dead gay comedy forum has someone who'll turn your life of failure into something worthy of applying for a job with.

Fuckin' wasters, right?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

There’s loads in his replies

https://twitter.com/paul_clarke/status/1623282481750323202?s=46&t=zeSyoBCUT2uo--GBHHu9-w

You can go through Mic's timeline for more. Blueticks are seething.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The photographer did good making Rishi appear taller in all the official pics

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1623408183858323457

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I haven't seen good journalists kick off when someone criticises their profession, but the ones that just accidentally landed in the job through nepotism are always deeply upset when they're the target. There was a lot of upset on both sides of the Atlantic when Don't Look Up was released for that reason.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

kingturnip posted:

Doesn't exactly sound as if we're sending the best and brightest to Westminster, does it? A bunch of cretins who can only get a job when it's handed to them by someone they met at a Durham University Conservative Association networking event, or by their dad.
Does the Job Centre Plus still run courses on how to apply for jobs? Maybe we should start sending former MPs there to get some valuable skills.

On that note, here's a pretty eye-popping story about Jared O'Mara, who basically lucked into being an MP through an unexpected election victory and then behaved like a particularly irresponsible 1st year university student instead of doing, well, anything at all:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/08/drink-drugs-and-defrauding-the-state-the-spectacular-fall-of-jared-omara

quote:

O’Mara was a heavy drinker. The court heard that every other day, if not every day, his parents would bring him a litre bottle of vodka, bottles of Mountain Dew and 60 cigarettes.

O’Mara was said to be “poo poo-faced” when he was interviewed by BBC Look North. Arnold accused him of drinking a whole bottle of vodka before it. The MP denied being drunk but footage of the interview, tracked down by the Guido Fawkes website, does not help his cause. O’Mara is clearly slurring as he speaks of his intention to stand in the 2019 election. Arnold recalled O’Mara’s parents telling him that O’Mara was not just drunk, he was “hammered”.

O’Mara almost never went to the constituency office in Sheffield and very rarely went to parliament, the court heard. His friend John Woodliff, a former bouncer and milkman who said he acted as a kind of personal assistant, would go to O’Mara’s house and “pretty much get him up because he just lay in bed all day”.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Perhaps MPs should lay off the starbuckses, bring their own sandwiches for lunch, cancel the netflixes, stop buying smart cellular telephones every six months (they're always on their phones, aren't they? that's why they can't get a job probably) and stop asking the public to solve their problems for them. The public's not always gonna be there to pick up the pieces, you know. Also they should print out a copy of their CV and give it to the manager. Firm handshake.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kingturnip posted:

I do think Jago misses the point with "why do we even need more offices?"
Like with luxury flats, it's not about the offices, it's about the property speculation. It's just there to get sold to hedge funds and poo poo up even more of London.

I suppose I had assumed that was implied but granted it is possible some people might not make that leap :v:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I miss the old clacky announcement board at Liverpool Street. You didn't have to watch the board - just look up when you heard it change.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

fuctifino posted:

They're actually both about the same height at 5' 5'', believe it or not.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

They're actually both roughly same height at 5' 5'', believe it or not.

Yeah, but the official photographer, using angles and perspectives has made Rishi appear to be the taller one.

Check the angle of the desk in the first pic for instance

e: vvv yeah, 100% valid point :)

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 8, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Yeah, but the official photographer, using angles and perspectives has made Rishi appear to be the taller one.

Check the angle of the desk in the first pic for instance

Yes, but what I'm saying is that he might have had his work less cut out for him than usual when Rishi asks to be made the tallest guy in the room.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

Christ

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think there is enough in there to merit the helmet tbh.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Dukakis in the tank.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
he wasnt already the boss.

didn't we already have liz in a tank?

and boris

its politicians dukakising all the way down

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Zelenskyy is actually seven foot tall (you can't teach that) and to say that hes shorter exposes you as someone that wants to have a romantic relationship with Putin.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Zelenskyy and Sunak are both the same height as Stalin.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rarity posted:

CRJ is literally the best pop artist of the last decade the state of this place

:hmmyes:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought I knew two Carly Rae Jepsen songs but it turned out one of them was Miley Cyrus

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Fun fact- this is basically how tall jet fighter pilots all are these days. Minpins are able to bear excessive G forces more than normal height people. But unfortunately if you're too light with it, the F35 ejector seat fires you out so hard your neck snaps.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

History Comes Inside! posted:

I thought I knew two Carly Rae Jepsen songs but it turned out one of them was Miley Cyrus

call me maybe?

actually don't.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Endjinneer posted:

Fun fact- this is basically how tall jet fighter pilots all are these days. Minpins are able to bear excessive G forces more than normal height people. But unfortunately if you're too light with it, the F35 ejector seat fires you out so hard your neck snaps.

Funny that you say Minpins, cause when I think of tall fighter pilots I think of Roald Dahl in WW2 being too tall to fit into his Spitfire and then crashing and nearly severing his nose.* Always stuck with me as a kid. And then I became too tall and blind to ever be an astronaut or a pilot. Fucken poo poo sucks!

*And then this made him a raging anti-Semite? Who knows

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Darth Helmet from Wish.com. :sigh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

History Comes Inside! posted:

Listen to the Emotion album it will change your life

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Lib Dems winning here :toot:

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1623428051433406466

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

My dad's tangentially involved in that whole business, and apparently, it's the weight of the helmets that's the problem. You can either have a helmet tough enough to protect you from being bounced around a cockpit, or you can have a helmet light enough that it won't snap your neck when you get ejected, but you can't (yet) have both unless you've got the sort of neck muscles that most fighter pilot-sized people don't.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Darth Walrus posted:

My dad's tangentially involved in that whole business, and apparently, it's the weight of the helmets that's the problem. You can either have a helmet tough enough to protect you from being bounced around a cockpit, or you can have a helmet light enough that it won't snap your neck when you get ejected, but you can't (yet) have both unless you've got the sort of neck muscles that most fighter pilot-sized people don't.
Seems like there should be some crossover between fighter pilots and F1 drivers here. F1 drivers usually have necks as wide as their heads from cornering at 6, 7, 8G for hours at a time. (Although I suppose a HANS device might get in a pilot's way a bit if they need to check their six.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They should have reversing cameras or something for that by now. Would also help with reversing, but that probably doesn't come up much.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
These politicians love their cosplay don't they.
:rollyeyes:

Just had a really weird experience. I was trying to autotranscribe a zoom recording where the recording already exists and so was holding a meeting with myself and 'sharing' it.
Anyway, the transcription was some weird american cop chase instead of deployment from salesforce sandbox to salesforce production. Somewhat freaked out I closed everything down. Then I realized that it was picking up Criminal Minds dialogue playing on the tv even though I had the mic/headset on. Surprised it picked that dialogue up clearly and nothing off the vid playing on the same laptop!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 8, 2023

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
There's a clever joke to be made comparing prawns with fighter pilots but I'm just too tired.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Not quite...First line of the article before the paywall kicks in: "The Conservatives would be relegated to Westminster’s third party behind the Scottish National Party..."

Imagine going from a huge majority to fewer MPs than a party that runs in fewer than 60 constituencies (I can't remember how many seats Scotland has after the next boundary review, if it's 1 or 2 down from current). It'd be unbelievably funny and about as likely as the dead rising from their graves

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 9, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Payndz posted:

Seems like there should be some crossover between fighter pilots and F1 drivers here. F1 drivers usually have necks as wide as their heads from cornering at 6, 7, 8G for hours at a time. (Although I suppose a HANS device might get in a pilot's way a bit if they need to check their six.)

Apparently, the problem's bad enough that the RAF aren't sure they can let female pilots into F-35s, among other things. Those helmets are seriously neck-snappy.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1622954459629334528

if i hadn't heard of Lee Anderson before, i'd have assumed they just picked a guy out of the Question Time audience and made him deputy chair

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

forkboy84 posted:

Not quite...First line of the article before the paywall kicks in: "The Conservatives would be relegated to Westminster’s third party behind the Scottish National Party..."

Imagine going from a huge majority to fewer MPs than a party that runs in fewer than 60 constituencies (I can't remember how many seats Scotland has after the next boundary review, if it's 1 or 2 down from current). It'd be unbelievably funny and about as likely as the dead rising from their graves

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Canadian_federal_election

Conservatives went from a majority government (156/295 seats) to *two*.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Apologies for posting Dunt but he is in fact correct here lol

https://twitter.com/iandunt/status/1623584240603471874?s=46&t=nTtAKFBaAjNKTNdc5NULqw

Edit: for non 2000AD nerds

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1622954459629334528

if i hadn't heard of Lee Anderson before, i'd have assumed they just picked a guy out of the Question Time audience and made him deputy chair

I wonder how he feels about bringing back caning in schools.