Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

exmarx posted:

uspol always sucked and i don't want its fail ghost haunting this thread

Well we're here and we're haunting as we were told this was the appropriate place for our chat thread to continue.

Don't blame the ghosts blame the people that disturbed the grave site.

As a consumer of some form of USpol for almost 20 years, I maintain that it was actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't think we're really going to get into the serious uspol posting much. At least not me. I respect this space and it's regulars

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There is a specter haunting this thread

selec
Sep 6, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

There is a specter haunting this thread

chili fartz

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

selec posted:

chili fartz

But ...

Chili doesn't have beans

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Chili stew does

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Sorry Koos coming into my community and closing it down in the same fashion that cops clear homeless encampments has upset me today.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Even as the most hated (?), most piled-on poster in the thread I dunno. I really thought it was okay. If it had been totally unmoderated, it wouldn’t have been, but the occasional slapdowns of real excess, like the catpetter poo poo, were enough to keep things somewhat grounded.

I also think that allowing open airing of grievances has a role to play in community building, but i suppose I can understand if someone disagrees Particularly the mods, who it seems were getting more crap in private than I was in public.

Harold Fjord posted:

I don't think we're really going to get into the serious uspol posting much. At least not me. I respect this space and it's regulars
:hai:

And hey listen, I know that in addition to being a bit out of sync with a lot of posters (which I don’t apologize for), I have also said lovely things to people in the past. When I invoke my mental health problems, like I’m doing right now in this sentence, I’m not trying to say that that stuff was okay, but that it was caused by something that I am always working to improve, and just because things were one way at some point doesn’t mean they have to be that way forever.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bishyaler posted:

I'm inviting a ban because I think the rules have become more about protecting and reinforcing a certain ideology than about minimizing harassment? Like, we were just discussing how we can't have a stylesheet because nobody would vote for it, but who voted for the wizard's scroll of debate rules

Sorry the forum you hate isn't to your liking, feel free to post elsewhere. How wonderful that martyrdom comes so cheap. If you can't see the difference between proposing a stylesheet and guidelines revisited as a group at every quarter all I can say is think harder.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Honestly it was a lack of moderation on other spaces that led to the majority of issues. Posters that were not regular would jump in and cause issues but it was handled.

Some people want to have a contentious conversation space where they can say something uncouth without provoking a six to twenty four hour forced break. And no cspam is not an equivalent.

We already knew that unmoderated spaces fail, but we never asked to be unmoderated, just moderated with a light hand and not the stifling way the d&d has become.

USpol was always a contentious hilarious place and the current culture has completely destroyed it.

The unmoderated bit was explicit and agreed to be reality by all, I agree it's always a dumb idea but that's how it was. Lightly moderated would be a dedicated IK, which is what I've been pushing for to bring it back.

In any case, this isn't USPOL, and posting like it is isn't advisable. It's dadchat, which has been around a lot longer though dead for years, so post like you're cutting loose in D&D and if you can't, doomsday econ is probably the best balance CSPAM has at the moment.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

But ...

Chili doesn't have beans

In what universe would I eat sloppy Joe filling in a bowl

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'd like to apologize to all the mods I've pm'd about sixers in the past and will PM about sixers in the future and clearly state that I support a rule that involves extending the sixer if someone bitches about a sixer. But I'll probably keep doing it

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

selec posted:

In what universe would I eat sloppy Joe filling in a bowl

When you are out of bread? Maybe with some sour cream, red onion, and chips or something.

Look don't judge me

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

The one where if you try to post in there, you get a message saying you can't now. You wanna IK it right, so you tell me why it got closed.

INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR MEANINGFUL ANSWER. POST THE PMS.

Truthfully, though, it's very simple: we got too rowdy. We probably pushed Mellow a bit too far (the poo poo about his deceased relative was absolutely too far, but his perpetual spite-meltdowns became incredibly easy to provoke over the last few weeks and without presuming to speak for Mellow, I don't think those meltdowns were necessarily related to whatever was said initially, just "i'm angry at something unrelated, so I'm going to go and blow up at some easy targets" my monitor may or may not be on). I don't quite recall why DM left the thread - I feel like it was some Reade-adjacent discussion that got both intense and personal and I'll say for lack of my participation in that particular discussion (I've adopted a strict policy of 'just shut the gently caress up and listen when a woman is talking about the terrible poo poo that happened to her') a round of warning shot 6'ers going out probably would have given everyone involved a much-needed cooling off period.

I do still think it should remain as a perpetual sort of D&D metachat thread - hell, let it serve as a C-SPAM metachat thread, too [insert the handshake meme with USCE and Succ Zone on either side and they're coming together over hating the TROMUUPUMP thread or whatever "hilarious" misspelling it is this month] because that sort of discussion can help inform on not just what posters believe, but why they believe what they believe. We had a fantastic talk over the course of a couple of pages with BRJurgis that resulted in, I think, I more even-keeled interpretation of some borderline transphobic posts he made a while back that I think actually helped them express their beliefs in a more coherent way that didn't play into tropes about :biotruths:, but if BRJ hadn't been being pushed to account for what they said, that conversation likely never would have happened.

we also never would've gotten the EW Death Note Anime Villain speech without it being a bit unruly, either:

quote:

willa i don't really think about you except to snicker when you show up when i run a namesearch

i hadn't even thought about how much you embarrassed yourself getting the basics of the child tax credit wrong over and over and over again since it happened but uh clearly you still are angry about it if you're trying to rewrite history a year later, so now i will snicker again at it

i would welcome batting your thoughts around like a bored cat with a old lame mouse not worth actually eating, just torturing, while i am still in a politics posting mood today so feel free to go on over and post, no guarantees i will still be in a politics posting mood tomorrow

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

I'd like to apologize to all the mods I've pm'd about sixers in the past and will PM about sixers in the future and clearly state that I support a rule that involves extending the sixer if someone bitches about a sixer. But I'll probably keep doing it

I appreciate your honesty, and in keeping with the theme I'd like to let you know I was very tempted to sixer this but imgur is acting up and I can't access my folder of funny probation images

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!
i will never PM a mod about a sixer unless its a joke

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

maybe those users should reconsider their internalized transphobic stances, then. if a theoretical poster is afraid to post about why the perfidious trans rights activists should pipe down because people are going to "reframe" that poster as being transphobic, perhaps the problem is the poster with the transphobic biases, not the posters going "what the gently caress is wrong with that guy?"

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but the incidents I was thinking of did not involve trans issues. Rather it was that the USPol thread had convinced them D&D was not worth posting in.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
make me ik, im the nicest poster and will only hit what gets to personal, otherwise all is on table

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
give me back my chat thread

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
lunch shift over

weed

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Koos Group posted:

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but the incidents I was thinking of did not involve trans issues. Rather it was that the USPol thread had convinced them D&D was not worth posting in.

Why is saying “don’t post in DND” acceptable in all of CSPAM but not in our CCCC chat thread?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bishyaler posted:

Why is saying “don’t post in DND” acceptable in all of CSPAM but not in our CCCC chat thread?

I think the idea is that someone thought if they post in D&D we will make fun of them and it is possible but they have to be really loving terrible.

The posters we talk about we have been posting with for a loving decade or were participating there with us

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Bishyaler posted:

I've always seen C-SPAM as the corresponding lite forum for D&D that makes fun of its posters and criticizes it.

World Famous W posted:

make me ik, im the nicest poster and will only hit what gets to personal, otherwise all is on table

If I make a replacement, you're one of my top considerations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR MEANINGFUL ANSWER. POST THE PMS.

Truthfully, though, it's very simple: we got too rowdy. We probably pushed Mellow a bit too far (the poo poo about his deceased relative was absolutely too far, but his perpetual spite-meltdowns became incredibly easy to provoke over the last few weeks and without presuming to speak for Mellow, I don't think those meltdowns were necessarily related to whatever was said initially, just "i'm angry at something unrelated, so I'm going to go and blow up at some easy targets" my monitor may or may not be on). I don't quite recall why DM left the thread - I feel like it was some Reade-adjacent discussion that got both intense and personal and I'll say for lack of my participation in that particular discussion (I've adopted a strict policy of 'just shut the gently caress up and listen when a woman is talking about the terrible poo poo that happened to her') a round of warning shot 6'ers going out probably would have given everyone involved a much-needed cooling off period.

I do still think it should remain as a perpetual sort of D&D metachat thread - hell, let it serve as a C-SPAM metachat thread, too [insert the handshake meme with USCE and Succ Zone on either side and they're coming together over hating the TROMUUPUMP thread or whatever "hilarious" misspelling it is this month] because that sort of discussion can help inform on not just what posters believe, but why they believe what they believe. We had a fantastic talk over the course of a couple of pages with BRJurgis that resulted in, I think, I more even-keeled interpretation of some borderline transphobic posts he made a while back that I think actually helped them express their beliefs in a more coherent way that didn't play into tropes about :biotruths:, but if BRJ hadn't been being pushed to account for what they said, that conversation likely never would have happened.

we also never would've gotten the EW Death Note Anime Villain speech without it being a bit unruly, either:

more on this - the "driving out" didn't necessarily always go one way, either. Leon's weird, borderline stalkerish string of "technical gotchas" he threw at Willa in attempts to gaslight her drove her out of the thread too - but I'm not sure what functional use an IK would have been during that time because not even C-SPAM mods seem to have permission to give him more than a token probation every now and then for one of his dozens of daily obfuscations in the doomsday econ thread - I presume probing Leon for being weird towards Willa would have resulted in that IK's buttons getting removed, but now we're just getting into weird theorycrafting territory.

Having the thread just ethered away by Koos gave off enormous "Having completed our first year as an integrated company, and in the context of our planning for 2023, we have had the opportunity to exercise a thoughtful and comprehensive look at how our combined organization should best be structured..." vibes, too. I know the forums aren't democratic, and there isn't a "poster's union", but I don't feel like many options other than "well no one wants to be an IK so we'll let it fester until it's terrible" were ever explored.

And honestly? Despite my sincerity and reflection here, I doubt the suggestion of "ok smart guy, answer the question right and we'll make you thread IK" is even sincere because I'm sure there's a line of other people behind the scenes going "no loving way is that poster ever getting even a worthless grey star, no loving way"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

more on this - the "driving out" didn't necessarily always go one way, either. Leon's weird, borderline stalkerish string of "technical gotchas" he threw at Willa in attempts to gaslight her drove her out of the thread too - but I'm not sure what functional use an IK would have been during that time because not even C-SPAM mods seem to have permission to give him more than a token probation every now and then for one of his dozens of daily obfuscations in the doomsday econ thread - I presume probing Leon for being weird towards Willa would have resulted in that IK's buttons getting removed, but now we're just getting into weird theorycrafting territory.

Having the thread just ethered away by Koos gave off enormous "Having completed our first year as an integrated company, and in the context of our planning for 2023, we have had the opportunity to exercise a thoughtful and comprehensive look at how our combined organization should best be structured..." vibes, too. I know the forums aren't democratic, and there isn't a "poster's union", but I don't feel like many options other than "well no one wants to be an IK so we'll let it fester until it's terrible" were ever explored.

And honestly? Despite my sincerity and reflection here, I doubt the suggestion of "ok smart guy, answer the question right and we'll make you thread IK" is even sincere because I'm sure there's a line of other people behind the scenes going "no loving way is that poster ever getting even a worthless grey star, no loving way"

It was sincere, I just worded it a bit too aggressively. You're one of a few I'd consider to be good IKs but mostly what I'm interested in is how people viewed the thread and where they think things went wrong, and not "do they have the correct answer, the one I've decided on" but because I've been giving it thought myself and it really isn't an easy one to answer. A re-opening in a lightly moderated form isn't something I have a blueprint for, all I (as a poster there, not a mod here) can hope for is that whoever gets buttons there has also given it a lot of thought and has a solid...shape, for want of a better word...they'd like it to take.

I don't think any of the button havers posting here weren't defenders of USPOL for one reason or another, maybe it'd be on more radars if not for louder more wide ranging threads but the simple fact is it isn't. It's our house and we've gotta get the goddamned plumbing working.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Well, that's enough serious posting. What's everyone eating for superbowl? We're doing a taco bar, nachos, little smokies, chicken wings, chili cheese dip, and cheesecake.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Bishyaler posted:

Well, that's enough serious posting. What's everyone eating for superbowl? We're doing a taco bar, nachos, little smokies, chicken wings, chili cheese dip, and cheesecake.
RIP your GI tract

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bishyaler posted:

We do a Hot Ones lineup every year. Last year I made it through including the last dab, then went and laid down and slept through the entire game. This year my goal is to wear a fun hat while doing it (everybody gotta wear a fun hat this year) and stay conscious afterwards

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

selec posted:

We do a Hot Ones lineup every year. Last year I made it through including the last dab, then went and laid down and slept through the entire game. This year my goal is to wear a fun hat while doing it (everybody gotta wear a fun hat this year) and stay conscious afterwards

We did one of those last summer. We started with milkshakes for cooling and by the end everyone was drinking whipping cream straight from the carton.

I'd do it again

Bishyaler fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 8, 2023

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cygnids posted:

The common sense statement of “asking certain questions / repeating certain arguments can be a harmful act” clashes with the core tenant of d&d being “positions are not moderated / arguments are all valid as long as you’re representing your beliefs accurately” so this line of criticism isn’t going to go far unfortunately. Blatant bigotry’ll get hit but since we’re all humans other actions depend on whether the posts in question harsh the vibes of the particular thread(s) involved rather than analysis of the position.

What questions or arguments are you referring to here, that shouldn't be allowed by common sense, aren't blatant bigotry (since that gets hit), but are allowed anyway?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah for real. There was nothing wrong with the majority of posting and posters in the CCCC thread. Closing it because moderation is so piss poor seems like punishment toward the posters when the moderation was the issue.

I'll be a loving IK and push the buttons on the bad posts if it allows what was a decent community to continue to exist.

As someone who got hounded out of it, the community that tolerates continuous bad faith lies about other posters. Defending yourself doesn't help if you aren't a member of the clique.

It was genuinely ugly. YMB would just harass and lie over and over, and people would either say nothing or cheerlead.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

What questions or arguments are you referring to here, that shouldn't be allowed by common sense, aren't blatant bigotry (since that gets hit), but are allowed anyway?

As someone who got hounded out of it, the community that tolerates continuous bad faith lies about other posters. Defending yourself doesn't help if you aren't a member of the clique.

It was genuinely ugly. YMB would just harass and lie over and over, and people would either say nothing or cheerlead.

I do agree that you got dogpiled a few times, but to be honest YMB is just that way to everyone, not just you. He's one of the most ignored posters on the forums. He tries to be inflammatory and get under your skin, which you would regularly allow him to do.

There were many other times you participated in fruitful conversations without issue.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I do agree that you got dogpiled a few times, but to be honest YMB is just that way to everyone, not just you. He's one of the most ignored posters on the forums. He tries to be inflammatory and get under your skin, which you would regularly allow him to do.

Why is "he does that to everyone" an acceptable defense for tolerating it?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There were many other times you participated in fruitful conversations without issue.

Aside from that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 8, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Why is "he does that to everyone" an acceptable defense for tolerating it?

A lot of posters get by on that basis alone. "They're not targeting you, they're just an rear end in a top hat" could describe any number of posters I could have a random number generator pull up a profile for. There's an entire public dashboard that shows the top scorers for that category even!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

Pretty sure the last year of this thread has just been gojm talking to himself and avs making sporadic posts between probes. Occasionally kals will show up with some food gifs to remind us that the world is a terrifying place.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
It sounds like a silly lifehack but I've started drinking near-beer when stressed out at work. My brain is too dumb to realize that I'm not actually feeding it booze so I still get a nice dopamine hit.

Heiniken 00 and St Pauli's Girl are p good. Give it a try!

Edit: I work from home, don't try this in the office

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Junk food has replaced booze for me and I've gotta do something about it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Junk food has replaced booze for me and I've gotta do something about it

ah gently caress i just revealed my alt

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Bishyaler posted:

It sounds like a silly lifehack but I've started drinking near-beer when stressed out at work. My brain is too dumb to realize that I'm not actually feeding it booze so I still get a nice dopamine hit.

Heiniken 00 and St Pauli's Girl are p good. Give it a try!

Edit: I work from home, don't try this in the office
My brain got wise to that pretty fast. But yes, NA beers these days are honest-to-god pretty good.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I got hounded out

Nice edit but too late

You didn't get hounded out. You left voluntarily. Twice. Nobody told you to leave. You stopped posting in a huge huff because we cracked huge holes in your ideology over and over and instead of reconsidering your ideology and worldview you doubled down every time and always always always always got lost in nitpicking the definition of specific words. That or you did the "quote where I said those specific words" thing when someone paraphrased you when the specific words didn't actually matter in discerning your position on any given issue

You do exactly the same thing Mellow Seas does. You refuse to reconsider your worldview when someone demolishes it right in front of your face and then you try to use every excuse possible to make it seem like you're the unfair victim of targeted harassment when that's not the case at all

And the reason for all these dogpiles in the first place is because someone in USPol would correctly point out something incredibly stupid that a liberal said in USCE and then you and Mellow just couldn't help but cannonball into the deep end to defend the honor of the D&D liberals we were deriding. You could have lurked and actually thought about why we were making fun of those dumb and wrong opinions but instead you would always knee jerk argue with us and refuse to give an inch, no matter how good our arguments were

And since we're in a new thread I think I should reiterate that, at least from my perspective, I don't think you're a bad person. You're just dense and stubborn and can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to most sociopolitical issues

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 8, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
My wife and I have recently gotten really into decaf because of the Costco Kirkland signature decaf is as delicious as their various other offerings around $10 a pound.

Absolute best price quality ratio I've ever seen on coffee.

I think you're mostly right elephant ambush but I do think it's hard for us to consider the perspective of the posters who feel outnumbered and I think that feeling is a big factor.

Maybe we can build a forums kialo instance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I don't watch the super bowl or sports at all so I'll probably be playing board games with friends online or watching a twitch stream of some kind. Maybe pro wrestling since pro wrestling loving owns