Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
eh, most of the funny people are on discord or in jail or whatever at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

while we've got all this new traffic, let's workshop exactly what kind of mental illness we want to foster itt

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a strange fowl posted:

while we've got all this new traffic, let's workshop exactly what kind of mental illness we want to foster itt

psychotic aggression with a moralist flavour imo

it was a successful recipe once, it can be so again

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

eh, most of the funny people are on discord or in jail or whatever at this point

traitors!!!!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

arguing itt was one of my only consistent pleasures during an extremely depressing period of my life, so i hold steadfastly to the old ways

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

:gas:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i'd like a few more crazy religious people tbh

also, today i met an old guy in the supermarket who told me he'd been personally trained as a ninja by bruce lee in the 70s. he even busted out some ninja moves for me right there in the cereal aisle. some of that energy could do wonders for this place

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

chicken breast, salsa veggies, herbs, and spices in a pressure cooker, shred the chicken after in a food processor and whisk lowfat cream cheese and something cheddarish into the veggies and juices until creamy, then readd the shredded chicken

that is a fairly chunky sauce

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

arguing itt was one of my only consistent pleasures during an extremely depressing period of my life, so i hold steadfastly to the old ways

one of [where i tactically don't mention stealing lumber from the fair people of norway]

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

one of [where i tactically don't mention stealing lumber from the fair people of norway]

look i was an accomplice to the lumber theft at worst, it got sold to me as an odd job by a friend of whom i probably should've been more skeptical

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

litany of gulps posted:

How does "you people" rate up against "your people"? Like if you had to assign a number

I don't know, 6

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Koos Group posted:

This is some of the value I saw in the USPol thread, and why I'd like to have a political thunderdome RSF. The counterpoint, though, is that there's already that sort of thing on Twitter, so there needs to be something better about it on SA.

quote:

such as discouraging posters from contributing to D&D in a couple cases

maybe those users should reconsider their internalized transphobic stances, then. if a theoretical poster is afraid to post about why the perfidious trans rights activists should pipe down because people are going to "reframe" that poster as being transphobic, perhaps the problem is the poster with the transphobic biases, not the posters going "what the gently caress is wrong with that guy?"

just my $.02.

ACAB, all troops are war criminals.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that is a fairly chunky sauce
Depends on the amount of cheese, cream cheese, and veggies :shrug: typically I can toss it cold into a salad and the 'sauce' has minimal texture, doesnt even conflict with the dressing.

My people are a people of cream cheese based sauces and dips though. The sort to bust out evaporated milk to keep the cheddar from breaking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

all troops are war criminals.

Well, let's hope not

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, let's hope not

they are.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's really going to tie up the courts

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

RBA Starblade posted:

That's really going to tie up the courts

amazing news for you on how the courts see it vs what is actually happening

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Gonna be fun to see how this thread deals with Starblade

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Gonna be fun to see how this thread deals with Starblade

Paisano Protection Program

e: lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

Depends on the amount of cheese, cream cheese, and veggies :shrug: typically I can toss it cold into a salad and the 'sauce' has minimal texture, doesnt even conflict with the dressing.

wait, how finely shredded chicken are we talking here, like pulverised?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lib and let die posted:

Paisano Protection Program

e: lmao

So is that you getting doxxed again or is that someone I should know

Cygnids
Dec 14, 2021

Lib and let die posted:

maybe those users should reconsider their internalized transphobic stances, then. if a theoretical poster is afraid to post about why the perfidious trans rights activists should pipe down because people are going to "reframe" that poster as being transphobic, perhaps the problem is the poster with the transphobic biases, not the posters going "what the gently caress is wrong with that guy?"

just my $.02.

ACAB, all troops are war criminals.

The common sense statement of “asking certain questions / repeating certain arguments can be a harmful act” clashes with the core tenant of d&d being “positions are not moderated / arguments are all valid as long as you’re representing your beliefs accurately” so this line of criticism isn’t going to go far unfortunately. Blatant bigotry’ll get hit but since we’re all humans other actions depend on whether the posts in question harsh the vibes of the particular thread(s) involved rather than analysis of the position.

not to say that there aren’t good posters/threads in d&d and I hope calling this out doesn’t harsh the chat vibes here too badly or make y’all think I’m a posting warrior that should be outcasted; I think it’s hard to deny this line of reasoning though, to me it feels like it follows directly from the stated rules.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cygnids posted:

The common sense statement of “asking certain questions / repeating certain arguments can be a harmful act” clashes with the core tenant of d&d being “positions are not moderated / arguments are all valid as long as you’re representing your beliefs accurately” so this line of criticism isn’t going to go far unfortunately. Blatant bigotry’ll get hit but since we’re all humans other actions depend on whether the posts in question harsh the vibes of the particular thread(s) involved rather than analysis of the position.

not to say that there aren’t good posters/threads in d&d and I hope calling this out doesn’t harsh the chat vibes here too badly or make y’all think I’m a posting warrior that should be outcasted; I think it’s hard to deny this line of reasoning though, to me it feels like it follows directly from the stated rules.

this is arby's

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

So is that you getting doxxed again or is that someone I should know

It's Matt Yglesias, an incredibly transphobic "JAQ" type hack journalist.

Because calling out the transphobia of D&D's favorite posters makes me as much of a transphobe as good ol' MattY is. Great own on me, boy howdy do I have egg on my face.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this is arby's

Shut up

He's right

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I've never actually eaten at an Arby's before.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Shut up

He's right

the only apparent quality of that post is “unreadable”

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Leon you should reopen the refugees thread you made in cccc way back

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the only apparent quality of that post is “unreadable”

I had no problem reading it. Can you explain what you mean?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this is arby's

no this is a d&d chat thread

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I had no problem reading it. Can you explain what you mean?

no

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I've never actually eaten at an Arby's before.

the gyro is way better than it has any right to be, and also lmao of course you haven’t

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

speaking of american fast food, latvia now has its first domino's. i need to check if i'm still like 5 minutes outside of their service range

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Well then what's your issue other than you can't argue with the point?

Perhaps this is not in fact an Arby's

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

Because calling out the transphobia of D&D's favorite posters makes me as much of a transphobe as good ol' MattY is. Great own on me, boy howdy do I have egg on my face.

He looks like an egg

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

He looks like an egg

Please do not disparage eggs like this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

looks more like you have face on your egg

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

anyway, continuing the chatter re: the slow and choreographed collapse of the democrats' fundraising database via gutting by private equity firms from the inside, we had an interesting all-hands Q1 call last week where the companies Deloitte, Wal-Mart, and Frito-Lay were highlighted by ELT as "doers of good". Since it was an open Q&A session, and because I'm a stupid, ballsy motherfucker I publicly pushed back against elevating those companies by pointing out that both Wal-Mart and Deloitte's political PACs routinely max out contributions to Republican congresscritters that would be perfectly happy to see our LGBTQ+ colleagues murdered in the streets and it lead to a very...poignant discussion between myself and the head of our internal comms department that followed up from me asking if the company planned to include Socioeconomic status as a DEI data point for our internal DEI goals.

There was a bit of a back-and-forth for a while and I think I made some good in-roads to open the discussion on "why and how we choose to highlight the customers we do"

One of the interesting bits that came down during the discussion was this bit from the internal comms director:

quote:

Also, as someone who grew up in a lower SES household and shopped mostly at discount stores or large retailers growing up, I'm connecting some of the questions that got asked during yesterday's AHM about supporting work with places like Walmart and Pepsi... and that some of our resistance to supporting their CSR efforts seems at odds with the socioeconomic reality of some folks who shop those brands.

and I think I did a pretty good job of summing up "the problem" with Corporate Social Responsibility thusly:

quote:

On consumer choice - this is difficult! At the risk of "outing" myself, the simple answer is that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. The denser answer is that one of the primary reasons Walmart is able to offer such low prices is by keeping overhead - that is, compensation - as low as possible. Unfortunately, all of us have material needs we have to meet - given the choice, I'd rather not individually contribute to the success of a retail chain who abuses workers while their executives lavish in excess but the simple fact of the matter is that my convictions aren't legal tender to be traded for a gallon of milk - if the only place I can afford to shop is the place that exploits its workers, then my hands are tied - and no one should feel ashamed for being in that situation!

Walmart's annual gross profit for 2022 was $143.754B, a 3.54% increase from 2021. Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. If each of these associates is paid the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr, and work a 40 hour week* this works out to a salary of $15,080 annually, pre-tax. To pay the minimum wage of $7.25/hr to each employee costs Walmart 34 Billion dollars ($34,684,000,000 to be specific!). At the current federal minimum wage, this leaves Walmart with ~$110 billion in profits.

To conduct this math in good faith of course, we have to take the opposite into consideration - if Walmart were to pay the current highest minimum wage in the country ($16.50 in DC), this would work out to a $78 billion payroll cost - this still leaves a profit of $~70 billion back to shareholders and executive team members at Walmart.

Lastly, in a theoretical labor win where a $20 minimum wage becomes Federal law, Walmart would pay out $95b in salary - leaving a comfortable $50b in profits for shareholders and executives.

Because of Walmart's low compensation practices, many employees require government assistance, use community resources like food banks and free medical clinics, or turn to illicit drugs to replace costly pharmaceuticals - so long as these practices continue, Walmart continues to create inequity. Any measures they take to advertise they engage in CSR to address inequity are meaningless *until they stop creating inequity*.
Walmart also routinely maxes out political donations to regressive, fascist-aligned Republican congressional candidates who, if I am to speak frankly, would be perfectly happy to see our LGBTQ+ colleagues run out of their homes - or worse. While putting this response together, it took me roughly 5 minutes to find the records for Walmart's political PAC and find that they donated $7,500 to Republican Kevin McCarthy in 2020 and 2022, $5,000 to Steve Scalisi in 2022 and $10,000 in 2020 - it is, I hope, not controversial to say that these politicians that Walmart - an alleged "doer of good" - is elevating into office is in direct conflict with the progressive values that are so important to us whether we are the victims of the reprehensible social policies they push or allies of those who are.

As far as distributing the work goes after 10% of NGPVAN staff got laid off...we were told in a meeting this week that our workloads would be increasing with no shadow of a doubt. My own responsibilities have expanded from onboarding/converting net new customers to covering the work of the laid off folks like migrating from older versions of NGPVAN into the current version and we're expected to be completing two migrations from old platforms in any given day.

It's going to be interesting to see how the increased workload plays out while my team engages in rigid work-to-rule guidelines post-layoffs.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Well then what's your issue other than you can't argue with the point?

Perhaps this is not in fact an Arby's

probably not great to import the same posting from the containment thread that helped get it closed. dadchat thread doesn't need peoples' screeds about the nature of d&d and kvetching about specific posters

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Yo, I got somethin to say
gently caress the mods, coming straight from USPOL
A shitposter from cool chat central
They took our pastel colors, and our comic sans
Cuz they lack the authority to mod in b-y-o-b
gently caress that poo poo, 'cause we ain't the ones
For a mod motherfucker with a star and buttons
To be probing on and thrown in cat jail
We can go post-for-post in an angry email
Jealous of us cuz of our cool weed thread
Getting mad about what mellow seas said
Closing our thread for a lack of decorum
Makin us post in other sub-forums
You'd rather see me D&D postin
Than me and Lorenzo whining bout discendo
Beat a post timer easily
And when I'm finished, check the colony
To find out the cause of the probation
Rule subsection, violation
I don't know if they cops or what
Getting mad cuz sometimes we go nuts
And on the other hand, when they post they ain't no fun
But don't let it be a c-spam and D&D one
'Cause they'll probe ya, and say you're dumb
Commie mods showing out for the dem one
Jurgis will swarm
On any motherfucker overseeing a forum
Just 'cause I'm from the CCCC
Punk moderators are afraid of me, huh
A bad poster feeling like a grump
And when I'm finished, it's gonna be a helldump
Of mods sweating in D&D
Yo, ... where's projecthalaxy?

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

probably not great to import the same posting from the containment thread that helped get it closed. dadchat thread doesn't need peoples' screeds about the nature of d&d and kvetching about specific posters

reopen the thread