Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Narsham posted:

I’m sure someone will identify one or more games that already do this, but there’s ways to handle “advancement” in an RPG that go beyond the boundaries of a character sheet. AD&D had “name level”, where you were assumed to gather followers and have some sort of political presence, though D&D has never done a great job articulating these systems or perceiving them as being advancement in the same way as getting more powerful spells.

I ran a Birthright adaptation in the FATE system. Individual provinces of a nation were essentially treated like improvable magic items with associated “skills” that represented resources, PC holdings, and the like. It’s a short step from that to treating a nation like a PC and treating national improvement like PC level-ups or skill increases.

Or you could choose a Destiny at 1st level: waif to hero; ending the scism; making a name; slaying the legend… While you might have one or more PCs associated with the Destiny, the main campaign advancement system would involve the Destiny acquiring more resources or necessary elements. If your waif in the Waif to Hero destiny dies in play, it might trigger a “descent into the Underworld” quest to revive them, but getting your Prince PC killed under the Ending the Scism destiny might allow you to bring in and play the Queen, who has a different set of abilities and powers. You could even use the Prince’s death to advance the Destiny, meaning that you’d actively oppose bringing the old character back as the Queen would go back to opposing his involvement instead of furthering the Destiny in his memory.

Telling an interwoven story built around six Destinies might be tough, but you could instead have some players act in supporting roles and shift into the spotlight later. And you’d have a whole hell of a lot of advancement options beyond “number goes up” on a character sheet.

This is why troupe play and games like Legacy: Life Among the Ruins rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Wasn't it a BofA report that claimed D&D/WotC were "undercapitalized" in the first place?
I think that was a Hasbro internal thing or shareholders report, but it's possible that BofA said that too at one point.

It's entirely possible for BofA to have said both things and not been saying anything unreasonable at the time, of course. Earlier they could have said "Based on where the market is currently at, it seems like they're undermonetising Magic and D&D", and now they can say "Given that they've tanked customer trust, they shouldn't be trying to overmonetise Magic and D&D", and those would be consistent positions if you believed there was a way to monetise D&D more without tanking customer loyalty, but which now won't work because of what they've done.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Wasn't it a BofA report that claimed D&D/WotC were "undercapitalized" in the first place?

Nah this is the second analysis in a row from BofA that said Hasbro is loving up. The "under-monetized" comment was from Hasbro execs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srr6xmZ828k

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I imagine there's some forums/Twitter nerd who's telling everyone else at bofa (lol) all the hottest and tastiest nerd gossip and influencing their hasbro forecasts.

Maybe they're reading this very thread???!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I know anecdotal evidence isn't evidence, but I saw the 40k Commander decks at a Walmart and thought "Why not get back into Magic?"

And immediately bounced right the hell off. Because it rang up at seventy loving dollars. At Walmart.

Is there a word for the opposite of a loss-leader? Like an introductory product that tells you to gently caress off an never look back?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Splicer posted:

I've only ever played the 3rd edition of wfrp but I've wondered if it could work treating levels similar to how wfrp3 treats jobs. Level 3 has a combat feat, a non-combat feat, and a new class ability. You pick up one or two of your choice at each skillup moment and when you've got the full package you hit level 3 "proper" and your boring hp/damage/to-hit stuff kicks in.

Any class-based games that work like this?

Fading Suns 4e went class and level based, and milestones for advancement. While you can wait and grant players full levels to advance, the book recommends pacing out "partial" advances where they can buy a slice of that level - usually a perk, a skill, an ability score, etc. - and then any they haven't bought with partials get filled in automatically when the GM finally hands out the full level.

Levels are class-agnostic, everyone having the same advancement scheme and their class setting the terms on what you pick for that scheme. Classes are very broad, and more about social class in the setting (Noble, Priest, Merchant, and Yeoman being the four classes), and each has a bunch of callings (subclasses) that narrow their advancement choices further. You can change calling much more readily than class, and are kind of expected to. So it sort of fits what you want, but not as strongly as you might've been hoping.

As a class-and-level scheme it's... pretty simple and not too restraining, and mostly there to get around the problem older editions had where character creation was point-buy based, where the points were not spent the same way as XP during advancement. Meaning it wasn't that hard to min-max your creation points to have your character be worth a lot more in XP than someone who didn't, and thus also be way better in your chosen areas of expertise than the other person is in theirs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the 40k stuff wasn't pitched as an introductory product - take a look at Jumpstart for an alternative - but one of the serious problems with Magic (and part of what BofA's analysts are talking about) is the bewildering array of products. It's bad that you can't look at a shelf of Magic stuff and clearly identify what is supposed to be introductory product, what's mainline stuff for players to build on, and what's "collectors only" premium stuff you should ignore unless you're a whale.

Like there's five current kinds of booster packs and you need a guide to figure them out. Note that each new set or expansion release of Magic includes several (four or five, I think?) of these booster types, so Wal*Mart's shelf may have e.g. one each of Draft, Set, Jumpstart, Theme, or Collector boosters from several different sets simultaneously. And then there's also the Secret Lairs (limited edition stuff I don't think you'll find at Wal*Mart?) plus core sets, commander packs, duel decks, Pioneer Challenger Series decks, it just goes on and on and on.

A single warhammer 40k commander deck is currently $57 to $88 on Amazon (depending on which deck, they seem to be priced based on popularity?), it's positioned as a premium product (and commander decks have 100 cards, plus some extras like 10 token cards, a life tracker, a deck box, a foil "display commander", etc.). It's not "supposed to be" an entry-level product... but it's obviously a lot of money to pay if it's the product that grabbed your attention and made you think about trying out Magic!

Serf
May 5, 2011

They did release a line of Commander starter decks a few months back. In theory you could see "starter deck" and pick one up but it provides no guidance on how the game works.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Leperflesh posted:

It's not "supposed to be" an entry-level product... but it's obviously a lot of money to pay if it's the product that grabbed your attention and made you think about trying out Magic!

I think a big factor for me was that it was on the shelf by the checkout, along with other impulse purchases like beef jerkey and energy drinks

Which is especially weird because Walmart will typically keep a $17 Switch cartridge locked up behind glass.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

aw frig aw dang it posted:

Nah this is the second analysis in a row from BofA that said Hasbro is loving up. The "under-monetized" comment was from Hasbro execs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srr6xmZ828k

Ah, thanks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

moths posted:

I think a big factor for me was that it was on the shelf by the checkout, along with other impulse purchases like beef jerkey and energy drinks

Which is especially weird because Walmart will typically keep a $17 Switch cartridge locked up behind glass.

That sounds like a failure of communication between the vendor and the manufacturer. $100 products aren't impulse buys you put with the gum and tabloids.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Robin Laws does good work, but he's a stretch goal, not a core designer. They're leaning into "the community" being a central design consultant. I don't trust most of the RPG (or, uh, board game) community to design their hands into a wide-open cookie jar.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

homullus posted:

Robin Laws does good work, but he's a stretch goal, not a core designer. They're leaning into "the community" being a central design consultant. I don't trust most of the RPG (or, uh, board game) community to design their hands into a wide-open cookie jar.

weird goatse, but you do you

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

moths posted:

I am surprised they are still at Walmart, at Target they apparently got rid of them as they were a "shrinkage" epicenter.

I think for a lot of people, Magic monetization jumped the shark with the Walking Dead tie-in set from Secret Lair.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Name Change posted:

I think for a lot of people, Magic monetization jumped the shark with the Walking Dead tie-in set from Secret Lair.

That or 30th Anniversary Edition. 30A was big news outside the hobby. It required zero background knowledge or generational membership to understand how completely ridiculous it was to buy 4x $250 lottery tickets that could contain a Thoughtlace. This was after TWD ripped off the bandaid and left no room to doubt their naked shameless avarice, and 30A still managed to shock just about everyone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

30A was a giveaway to stores, they nominally "sold" sets on their site for like an hour in order to officially legally be able to say that a box was $1k, but it was not intended to be an actual product people bought. Many stores gave away the product as prizes, which I believe was the intent.

However Wizards appears to have so badly mismanaged messaging on this that tons of people keep talking about it as if it was a $1k product, including here on SA where the above sentence has been typed in some form or another repeatedly for weeks. So I lay that on Wizards for loving that up so badly.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

30A was a giveaway to stores, they nominally "sold" sets on their site for like an hour in order to officially legally be able to say that a box was $1k, but it was not intended to be an actual product people bought. Many stores gave away the product as prizes, which I believe was the intent.

However Wizards appears to have so badly mismanaged messaging on this that tons of people keep talking about it as if it was a $1k product, including here on SA where the above sentence has been typed in some form or another repeatedly for weeks. So I lay that on Wizards for loving that up so badly.
This is bullshit post facto excuses. Wizards has had a way to reward their WPN stores and send out prize support as well as appreciation cards forever. It was a bald money grab preying on whales that backfired.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

nah

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Certainly open to being corrected! Did they not restrict sales to like an hour, on their site?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

Certainly open to being corrected! Did they not restrict sales to like an hour, on their site?
They did - but this reasoning feels like a retcon. At the time it didn't seem to have been a planned one-hour sale; it was, by all appearances, an abrupt and sudden change after the PR fiasco.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Why is it up to us to correct you? Why aren't you providing any support of your weird claims? Even without direct evidence: If this were the case, wouldn't Wizards have tried to have gotten ahead of this with a benevolent explanation? Sure, the OGL issue was muddied by the fact it was a leak and legalese is difficult, but there is no such confounding element here. This was comparatively incredibly simple.
Anyhoo, now to correct you:

Leperflesh posted:

Local game stores got one per store. Though this link is a Prof vid, this is not speculation. It includes the clip from the official Wizards stream with Blake, Maro and a woman I don't recognize and isn't named. They directly say the stores will get one, three if they're a premium, which are rare and mostly irrelevant to the greater point. Sure, we could speculate on the size of print runs to try and gauge the level of generosity here, though Prof says that's dumb because stores might have more than one person who wants to buy it. In my opinion, when you're selling something for 44 times the normal price while giving away numbers in the single digits, it's almost impossible to imagine any way that the equation could look favorable to Wizards. (Source for x44: There's no MSRP anymore but $169.50 is the list price of a box on Amazon for the latest set containing 30 packs. $169.50 / 30 = 5.65, $250 / $5.65 = about 44.24.)

As for whether it sold out, Pleasant Kenobi (and others I'm sure) talk about the nebulousness of that claim. Basically, they stopped selling it after about 30 minutes and did not claim it sold out in as many words. Of course, most direct sale products (except 30A) are print-to-demand so it's not clear if ''selling out" is even possible in other cases, so maybe this is a distinction without a difference. The facts will likely remain secret forever.

Also, the idea that it's "not intended to be an actual product people bought" is completely ludicrous. First, the price is here so the price is not really in dispute. Here is the marketing video with Kibler and Gobert-Hicks saying the price and talking about putting it on 'your mantlepiece' among other things so it sure sounds like they intend for people to buy it. (Also, if you use an extension to restore dislikes, you can see it has 13K dislikes to 651 likes. lol) For that matter, it's a consumer discretionary product; who else is supposed to buy it besides people? This isn't a decade-long elevator repair service contract that is only ever purchased by a corporation.

Secondly, this product was a celebration of Magic's history. Sure, we all know that not every product is for everyone. If you don't like Innistrad or Ravnica, sure, maybe you don't buy cards from a set on that plane. You don't like Fortnite or The Walking Dead, you don't buy those products. A celebratory product of the game itself should not face those barriers of personal taste to the same degree. Sure, maybe all you zennials think the old cards are dumb, but they appeal to a common core of the audience: people who love the game. A big exacerbating issue here to this is this marketing choice lead many to feel excluded by that price. I think someone said, "Never has 'everyone' been so few people."

All that is to say: Yes, I think it is fair to imagine that they probably actually wanted people to buy this expensive consumer product.

I don't actually want to re-litigate this. I just want to laugh at Wizards and Hasbro for sprinting through a cornfield of rakes.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

If the half hour sale really was just so they could technically, legally call it a $1000 set, then it is completely legit to treat it as a thousand dollar set and force Wizards to eat poo poo over it. Because if it weren't, then that technical, legal, rules lawyer-y sale would be utterly pointless. They can't expect people to treat the thousand dollar price tag as legit for some purposes but write it off as a joke for others, that's not how poo poo works.

If it was a post facto excuse, as it reeks of being, then they deserve to eat poo poo over it and eat poo poo over the excuse.

Wizard deserves nothing less than a diet of unending poo poo until they stop heaping poo poo on their own dinner plate.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK

Leperflesh posted:

So I lay that on Wizards for loving that up so badly.

like this I guess needs to be reiterated because obviously different people got different messages

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, but evidence suggests the reason they did is because they sold TERRIBLY and so when it became apparent they were not going to sell out they took them all offline and then gave the weird, CYA, non-commital language immediately afterward about how the sale "concluded" so the PR black eye they got from selling it for a :10bux:*100 wouldn't turn into a double black eye of "And not even the whales went biting!". Allegedly a couple of the foreign language websites listed how many naked cash grab packs were available, and after half an hour when the pump was most primed they didn't even manage to sell half of them. Meanwhile, love them or hate them, Secret Lair drops pretty much always sell out and do gangbuster sales.

And make no mistake, the product was previewed as retailing for $1000, there was no hide nor hair of them being sent out a special promotions or thank you gifts in the lead up to the sale. There was nothing about how this is $1000 value prize, it was entirely about how this was $1000 to purchase. Everything in it was talking about how wonderful and exciting and big the anniversary is and how great a nostalgic and cool it is to open these old packs and get old cards etc. so give us an enormous amount of money. See also the fact that Wizards made absolutely no effort to get positive promotion from MTG influencers, the people on YouTube they aimed for were people who were known for playing Pokémon or Yu-Gi-Oh or other TCG's, and those people who received promotional M30 packs were not told that the booster they opened on camera to promote it was going to be retailed in a $1000 4-pack and upon being told of the pricing pretty much every single one of them immediately walked it back, deleted their videos, and issued apologies.

All of that altogether makes me think that there is no doubt from all the lead up that Hasbro/Wizards truly did believe they could make an easy bundle whaling by cashing out on the anniversary of their game, and I have absolutely no reason to believe the people who offered them $1000 did not have their money taken. The idea that it was all a stunt to try and make them being given out as prizes look more valuable feels like an after-the-fact rationalization to try and make it less calamitous.

And the hell of it is that they just released those M30 packs at a reasonable loving price people would be all over them! Give enough of them out and let people do a fun ultra retro sealed/draft night and they would've gotten an unbelievable amount of free goodwill! But no, that's not even close to what happened. They could have said "this is a $1000 value!", But instead they said "this is $1000!" and the difference was not lost.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a pretty embarrassing episode for wizards of the coast, we can all agree

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m starting to feel like they aren’t even actually wizards

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Leperflesh posted:

a pretty embarrassing episode for wizards of the coast, we can all agree

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

like this I guess needs to be reiterated because obviously different people got different messages

Hey little man, why not put the whole quote?

Leperflesh posted:

Oh right. "As if." Which is to say, you thought it wasn't actually a $1K product. Which is to say, you were wrong and talking about something confidently when you actually did not know or had forgotten. But fortunately, you're:

Leperflesh posted:

Certainly open to being corrected!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
What the gently caress is this post lmao.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey come on now, what's with the insulting attitude? Little man? Seriously?

Thanks for posting good info a few posts up. I appreciate it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Which Hasbro execs are you? Post on your main.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Boba Pearl posted:

why, I'm Chris Cocks of course

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Magnetic North posted:

Hey little man, why not put the whole quote?

Oh right. "As if." Which is to say, you thought it wasn't actually a $1K product. Which is to say, you were wrong and talking about something confidently when you actually did not know or had forgotten. But fortunately, you're:

I also think that WotC royally screwed the pooch rather than playing some 11D mastermind chess game that got out of hand but unless Leperflesh killed your dog this seems pretty weirdly mad for no reason.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

I legit wonder if the Wizards defenders here own positions in Hasbro. I have heard more than one nerd talk about it, though not on SA.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I actually know a guy that does wom marketing as a free lancer and it's a pretty good gig if you're a good enough poster, and your paid by post and engagements so I could see a savvy freelancer using quotes as engagements. He worked as part of a team to hype up AC Odyssey.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

I actually know a guy that does wom marketing

Read that as Worm Marketing. "Hey, do you need any extra annelids? No? Yeah, figured..." :(

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Magnetic North posted:

Read that as Worm Marketing. "Hey, do you need any extra annelids? No? Yeah, figured..." :(

Thank gently caress I'm not the only one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
:wom:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
e: Oh, I think this was already getting discussed, lol

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

"Even though doing this got you everything you wanted in this situation, please don't do it again. Because uh... it was just a coincidence! That it happened! We were gonna 180 and give up anyway, nothing to do with the bad PR and the actual hit to our bottom line!"

EDIT: Okay now this post looks like it came out of nowhere.