Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I am doing Marth's paralogue and I feel like the game has double pranked me. First, by calling out my warp+general strategy that I used to snap this same map in half in FE12 by putting in tons of assists that bypass evasion/defense, and then again by making the loot in the chests completely not worth the trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Been a big fan of the crit animations this time and I also like that on fast they feel quick enough I haven’t needed to fully disable them, I’ll just hold ZR if I wanna speed a turn up

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deltasquid posted:

"I'll give you something to believe in" (with the emphasis that implies he's dethroning God, rather than serving as a figurehead for his students) is already at that level IMHO

My favorite crit from 3H remains "Don't struggle..."

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zore posted:

I feel like banger crit quotes are an underrated part of Awakening's success tbh. A lot of the cast has some really good ones.

Even if they’re willing to evolve the presentation like they did with Engage, it’s clear that’s part of the series formula now yeah.

It’s also fun to be a goon and imagine what some rando from an old game would say.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Last Celebration posted:

Ngl, the only reason The Vaike sticks out as anything other than “yet another mid early game axefighter” is the fact that he sometimes yells all time top tier crit quote “Looks like Teach just got tenure” before smoking a dude, so I can’t blame them for giving him low billing if that was Us exclusive.

Yeah, that’s the only reason I remember Vaike too.

Edit: 3H had some great crit quotes. I am also fond of Hilda chanting her own name when she killed someone.

This game has some decent ones, especially Yunaka (who crits every other attack)

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 8, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zore posted:

I feel like banger crit quotes are an underrated part of Awakening's success tbh. A lot of the cast has some really good ones.

pick a god and pray

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I remember him for being the dumbass that forgot to bring his weapon. It struck a chord of brotherhood with me and all the times I bought a cool weapon into the convoy and then left it there for multiple maps on accident.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Getting new quotes as the game goes on is badass too, like Chrom starts saying “anything can change” halfway through the game and the three houses cast gets new quotes/different inflection on old quotes after the time skip

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The post battle quotes from 3H stood out more than the crits. "You worked hard, for nothing. "Only thorns left on this rose." "Bernie's unstoppable!"

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
partial to "burn until we meet again"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The best crit quote in Engage is Goldmary’s “what’s the point of you?”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I'm not sure what it says when the optimal strategy to the town that is on fire is to set more things on fire
tbh alear does note that everyone in the town is already dead and the mechanics of the fight reflect that with the corrupted trap houses and stuff. so setting it more on fire also kinda makes sense

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

The best crit quote in Engage is Goldmary’s “what’s the point of you?”

This and Yunaka's 'look what you made me do' are my vote

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I kinda miss the banter between characters from kill streaks in Three Hopes, to be honest and would like to see that kind of reactivity come back in mainline games. It was funny to hear Seteth complaining that it's like fighting defenseless children and Rodrigue chiming in that he sounds like a tired old man, or Catherine and Shamir keeping their kill count contest going.

Here's hoping the datamining for DLC Emblems is incomplete and Shez will make it in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I kinda miss the banter between characters from kill streaks in Three Hopes, to be honest and would like to see that kind of reactivity come back in mainline games. It was funny to hear Seteth complaining that it's like fighting defenseless children and Rodrigue chiming in that he sounds like a tired old man, or Catherine and Shamir keeping their kill count contest going.
echoes had some similar banter in spots. like if someone got a kill on an enemy he weakened grey would complain about killstealing, and characters would comment on characters critting near them.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Miftan posted:

"It's tea time!" has cracked me up several times. The delivery is perfect.

It's so, so good.

I've got a forged spear with 20%ish crit, so I see this one lot.

Deltasquid posted:

"I'll give you something to believe in" (with the emphasis that implies he's dethroning God, rather than serving as a figurehead for his students) is already at that level IMHO

This isn't even Byleth's best quote. I'm really partial to "Allow me to demonstrate," just so disdainful. Not a crit quote, but the cold delivery of Shamir's"Sleep in the dirt" will stick with me.

In Engage, I love that most characters steal voice clips/personality from their engaged emblem. Especially Tiki. It's just funny to hear basically anyone's voice proclaiming "we'll be together forever".

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Veryslightlymad posted:

In Engage, I love that most characters steal voice clips/personality from their engaged emblem. Especially Tiki. It's just funny to hear basically anyone's voice proclaiming "we'll be together forever".

Everybody saying Leif’s “I’m not a kid anymore”

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
‘If this love is a crime’ from the Sigurd ring is just so nonsensical without context that it got chuckles that evolved into full on laughter as it kept reoccurring.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yunaka has the best crit quote delivery, just because of the difference in between “Hiya Papaya! <3” and “Dropped your guard…”.

The best crit quote in the game, though, is Goldmary with “What’s the point of you?”

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
"I'm a man of passion."

Probably single handedly made him my favourite man in the series.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like Louis' 'Observe your ruin!'

Also the kill line 'You were beautiful while you lasted.'

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Notty posted:

‘If this love is a crime’ from the Sigurd ring is just so nonsensical without context that it got chuckles that evolved into full on laughter as it kept reoccurring.

I know nothing about Sigurd or even what game he’s from so it is definitely funny.

Edit: sometimes the battle banter reminds me of the quests you’d send your units on in Final Fantasy Tactics. They’d come back and explain what happened but inevitably one would chime in with something inane like, “I had a good feeling!” Same energy.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 8, 2023

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I know nothing about Sigurd or even what game he’s from so it is definitely funny.

Edit: sometimes the battle banter reminds me of the quests you’d send your units on in Final Fantasy Tactics. They’d come back and explain what happened but inevitably one would chime in with something inane like, “I had a good feeling!” Same energy.

Sigurd and a mysterious forest lady who isn’t supposed to leave the forest fall in love at first sight and get married.

This starts a series of events that directly lead to Sigurd’s death and the birth of the anti-Christ.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Natural 20 posted:

"I'm a man of passion."

Probably single handedly made him my favourite man in the series.

A shame liam o brian was permanently replaced after fates

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Here's my embarrassing confession: for my first run of the game I never realized panette and pandreo are siblings.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tae posted:

A shame liam o brian was permanently replaced after fates

I’m happy the early 2000s cool anime voice guy is wildly successful now

Matt Mercer avoided the problem of his roles being replaced by refusing to sleep, ever

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Notty posted:

Louis’ voice saying that line is forever etched in my mind. I have no idea what the context is or what it means

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

When Ivy has Sigurd she says "If these feelings are a crime..." instead of love

hmm...

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I do like how characters in Engage have different after-battle quotes if the enemy they targeted is defeated through Chain Attacks. There's a lot of really nice little details like that in this game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Deltasquid posted:

Louis’ voice saying that line is forever etched in my mind. I have no idea what the context is or what it means

He's a Voyeur.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ROFL Octopus posted:

Everybody saying Leif’s “I’m not a kid anymore”

need to hear vander say this

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I think my all-time favorite battle quote comes from Delthea. "Who do you bow down to now?", she says, to the duma faithful.

Eimi posted:

The post battle quotes from 3H stood out more than the crits. "You worked hard, for nothing. "Only thorns left on this rose." "Bernie's unstoppable!"
I like how the lines change from school period to war, ie: "Only thorns left on this rose" is a callback to her school quote of "All roses have thorns"
its both good character development, and also, very depressing at times.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The love was, it turns out, a crime.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Blaziken386 posted:

I think my all-time favorite battle quote comes from Delthea. "Who do you bow down to now?", she says, to the duma faithful.

I like how the lines change from school period to war, ie: "Only thorns left on this rose" is a callback to her school quote of "All roses have thorns"
its both good character development, and also, very depressing at times.

"Right makes might, right?" to "Might makes right!"...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

The love was, it turns out, a crime.

The love is not a crime, everything Manfroy did afterwards was the crime.

Anyway yes I second every cool crit quote/after battle quote mentioned so far, and I want to bring up Shigure's crit quotes because I appreciate his musical theming. "An encore? If you insist!" is stuck in my head forever.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite is _Veyle_ saying "That's... ... ... me I guess" when engaged with Claude, just pausing for like a whole rear end second in the middle.

No idea if it's supposed to imply anything, it's just so absurd and it rules.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I love the different reads characters have on their sync lines. Hortensia with Micaiah says "why do you attempt to throw away your life?" like a bitchy teenager and it's so funny

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://twitter.com/Bruceski1/status/1623141410928226305

Not a particularly interesting crit quote but I love the slide.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DLC Emblems coming today, and they also previewed the wave 4 story DLC, "Fell Xenologue"

I wonder if it'll be extra maps for an actual playthrough or a totally siloed thing like Cindered Shadows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Veronica seems fun