Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Veotax posted:

Your link is broken, what game is this?

Hmm peculiar. It's called Osiris New Dawn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPs3nuEicX4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Persona 3/4/5 are all good

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

explosivo posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I actually found the AI pretty hard on Normal but mind numbingly easy on Easy. Pretty sure I just need to get better at the driving or by the sound of it go off the track more often to cut corners.

Yeah! It's not always impossible to hit the nitro time without shortcuts, I definitely brute-forced a few with fast cars or some of the DLC gifts, but there comes a point where as far as anyone can tell, you just can't do it without puzzling it out. Looking up how the hell to shave off a mere second on this track was what tipped me off to how stupid I'd been. It's so blatant in the track design once you realize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXqngaIGpq4

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Did the devs promise anything they didn't deliver on? If not, eat a dick, gamers

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm only a normal pervert and not an anime pervert but I thought P5R was one of the best RPG's I ever played. I have no desire to play any of the others because they sound like they wouldn't be quite the same thing and gets way more anime trope-ey but if they ever do a P6 I'm fully on board.

secretly best girl posted:

Yeah! It's not always impossible to hit the nitro time without shortcuts, I definitely brute-forced a few with fast cars or some of the DLC gifts, but there comes a point where as far as anyone can tell, you just can't do it without puzzling it out. Looking up how the hell to shave off a mere second on this track was what tipped me off to how stupid I'd been. It's so blatant in the track design once you realize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXqngaIGpq4

Jesus christ, I had this thought the other night because I noticed there aren't a ton of checkpoints in a lot of the tracks but didn't realize it would be quite like this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

Did the devs promise anything they didn't deliver on? If not, eat a dick, gamers

That's what I'm trying to figure out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SMT is epic

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

explosivo posted:

I'm only a normal pervert and not an anime pervert but I thought P5R was one of the best RPG's I ever played. I have no desire to play any of the others because they sound like they wouldn't be quite the same thing and gets way more anime trope-ey but if they ever do a P6 I'm fully on board.

Jesus christ, I had this thought the other night because I noticed there aren't a ton of checkpoints in a lot of the tracks but didn't realize it would be quite like this.

Honestly P3-5 are all at the same level of trope-ey imo.

P1 is boring, P2 Sin & Punishment are really really great, but super different from 3-5.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

zoux posted:

Hmm peculiar. It's called Osiris New Dawn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPs3nuEicX4

ah rip, caveat emptor I suppose

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

explosivo posted:

Yeah, it turns out, literally the only rule is "you must hit the checkpoints in order". Period.

There's one stage where in worldwide speed competitions, people have gotten disgusting with strats to lower times. Peak time on one track is 2:29 and instead folks have pushed it to 1:15 or so? Just by completely cris-crossing the whole track.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lmao :rip:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
You can do a post-mortem on the release of a successful game. It just means a here's what we learnt session. At the same time lol there's no way that was a successful release.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I mean, what's the point of continued development if you have a player base of 100 people and you are happy where the game is after 7 years?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

:siren:

Announced at the Nintendo thing but coming to Steam as well

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1623444059514699777

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

big cummers ONLY posted:

I wonder if Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy will still be as fun as they were for me 20+ years ago. For $4, I can't lose!

Best fukkin lightsaber combat to this day. And that’s even without the mod upgrades.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fez_machine posted:

You can do a post-mortem on the release of a successful game. It just means a here's what we learnt session. At the same time lol there's no way that was a successful release.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Anno posted:

Hell yes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

new Fantasy Life, Professor Layton, and Samba De Amigo games were also announced

also for the demo players this week, if Next Fest isnt enough for you, demos of Octopath Traveler 2, Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe, and Sea of Stars are going up today on Switch

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The 7th Guest posted:

new Fantasy Life, Professor Layton, and Samba De Amigo games were also announced
Fantasy Life for PC?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Fantasy Life for PC?
Not sure yet.

Oh yeah, also there's going to be an HD collection of Etrian Odyssey 1-3 and it's coming to Steam on June 1st. So I no longer have to recommend adjacent games anymore.

e: the Layton game is called Professor Layton and the New World of Steam, so it'd be funny if it didn't come to PC

there's a new game called Deca-Police that was announced by Level5 as well, but so far it's only confirmed for PS4/PS5/Switch

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 8, 2023

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Anno posted:

:bisonyes:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The 7th Guest posted:

also for the demo players this week, if Next Fest isnt enough for you, demos of Octopath Traveler 2, Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe, and Sea of Stars are going up today on Switch

lole Fantasy Life Online (the mobile game version) just shut down literally 2 days ago

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anno posted:

:sickos:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Anno posted:

Looks like a kid's game.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mordja posted:

Looks like a kid's game.

its good actually :shittydog:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

lole Fantasy Life Online (the mobile game version) just shut down literally 2 days ago
this apparently is an all-new ground-up game, a proper actual sequel to Fantasy Life, while the online game was an attempt to sort of mobile-ify the original game

Etrian Odyssey Collection screenies (menu drawing is achieved by halving the screen, probably the only real compromise option Atlus had without a second screen):

note that the games are $40 per game and $90 for the set (this is similar to how Gust's Atelier three-packs are priced so unfortunately there was precedent)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think I might have some old graph paper maps from EO1 somewhere. Cool to see it hit Steam, should be a great Deck game.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

The 7th Guest posted:

i'll have a proper demo post later but i just wanted to say, Vividlope's easily the top demo I've played so far and an instant wishlist

I haven't played the demo yet but I am impressed by how that dev managed to so perfectly nail a particular Y2K-era Japanese aesthetic. looks like a lost Dreamcast or early PS2 game, in a good way

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That's a bit steep for old ds games unless they've had some significant upgrades, but hopefully they are decently discounted eventually. I hope they add an easy fast forward key. It's very nice in FFV pixel remaster or FFXII for grinding.

edit: the ds dungeon crawler I'd really like to see on Steam is SMT Strange Journey. That's such a bug gently caress crazy game and it could benefit with some QoL improvements.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm waiting for someone to take a dive and say how the PC version is because all of the screens and ad copy (even on Steam!) are using the Switch UI and talking about the touch screen.

FuzzySlippers posted:

edit: the ds dungeon crawler I'd really like to see on Steam is SMT Strange Journey. That's such a bug gently caress crazy game and it could benefit with some QoL improvements.

I feel like if these go somewhere they're gonna do it because they have a very clear "we did the DS ones only, but the next ones are 3DS"... and Strange Journey has a really, really good 3DS port with new art, endings, and content. (As well as QoL improvements.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More announcements from Nintendo's strange insistence on announcing Steam games:

Atelier Marie Remake: The Alchemist of Salburg returns to the origins of Gust's alchemy RPG series this summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAfHby0zw74

We Love Katamari Reroll + Royal Reverie resurrects the PS2 classic with an extra set of five or so stages where you play as the young King of Cosmos, and the ability to take selfies because it's the 2020s. It'll be out June 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-KGt6Yido0

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

gently caress yeah Katamari

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

Looks like a kid's game.

It’s a video game, correct.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
More Next Fest demos, but unfortunately I feel like I started out strong and now have been making bad picks:

Pizza Kidd - NOT COOL - I love me a good beat-em-up, but this ain't it as despite its charming anime presentation, it feels incredibly rough and repetitive with boring recolored enemies, confusingly balanced special moves, a throw which doesn't even smash the body into other enemies, stiff controls, bad presentation, and so on. It's like a game jam game or a student project feel. Just stick with Streets of Rage 4 and Fight-n-Rage.

RAIDBORN - NOT COOL - It's pretty much an indie carbon copy of Skyrim, except missing some of the more expensive elements due to its indie budget, like world map travelling, which is replaced by mandatory fast travel. It's impressive how accurately they recreated it, including the bad combat and all of its lackluster feedback and terrible AI, when they could've done so much to improve it. Unfortunately, considering Skyrim is a game which has to be modded to be fun in the first place, I question the purpose of this game. The only thing I can say that they've changed for the better, at least somewhat, is that its a bit more straightforward and keeps the flow of action going, such as how they cut down on the clutter of thousands of items that can be picked up to just important items (though that now makes it confusing to figure out what is interactable and what is just background dressing). I guess pick it up if you like vanilla Skyrim (but again, who the hell does?)

Full Void - COOL? - Speaking of carbon copies of games, were you a fan of the old Delphine games like Out of this World, Flashback, Heart of Darkness, or if that's too old for you, a fan of other cinematic platformers like Abe's Odyssey, Limbo, Little Nightmares and so on? Well this game is recreating everything about those games and is as you expect: chase scenes where you need to think fast, careful deliberate platforming where you need to lower yourself down ledges and such, puzzles where you hack robots or pull levers or push boxes about, lots of rotoscoped child death cinematics that you'll be seeing a lot due to the trial and error nature of the game that comes from its no-HUD minimalist presentation and vague contextual actions, and so on. It ain't bad as I did love Out of this World, but the demo didn't fully sell me on it: felt a bit too railroaded and wasn't that excited at the environments (you are in a sewer for a long time).

Perseus Titan Slayer - NOT COOL - was hoping for a nice little Diablo roguelike experience, got a really terrible feeling and looking game. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

ArcRunner - HMMM - Game feels very polished and smooth overall and delivers some decent roguelike shooting fun with cool classes and such, so I want to like it. Had a good time with the Soldier for a bit pulling off quick insta-shields to deflect well-telegraphed enemy attacks while blasting them with my boomstick. However, there were some slight annoyances like how aiming was a bit unreliable and confusing, it was slow to switch between ranged and melee, and overall it just felt a little bog-standard: the combat just didn't quite spark joy for me despite all of its flashy aesthetic, fancy toys and varied enemies, compared to other third-person shooter games like Warframe, Remnant, Dead Space and so on. It's like it should be good in theory but is lacking energy somehow in its execution. Maybe something to try yourself and/or keep an eye on.

The Last Case of Benedict Fox - HMMM - It's a very pretty game where you're a detective with an eldritch entity buddy that's split between two modes - detective mode where you wander around a safe space inspecting clues, rotating objects and solving puzzles, and another mode where you're 2D platforming through a dangerous zone parrying, dodging, and attacking demons with your knife and flare gun. Unfortunately I felt like the game was very janky and unpolished feeling all-around but especially in the action sequences with odd animation stuttering and awkward input registration and confusing hitboxes/collisions and so on. Maybe it's worth a try: I just typically show very little patience for unsmooth feeling games, and this was like constantly stubbing your toe. For me, this is feeling like style over substance.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 9, 2023

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Anno posted:

Nice! That was easily my favorite DS game.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I'm on a boat! (Steam NextFest Edition)

Dreadful River is a game where you're tasked with repowering the king's crown, but in order to do so you have to bring both down the river on a boat ride while under attack from enemies. You've got a crew who does auto-attacking which you can upgrade with loot that you find along the river/buy from blacksmiths and you can fire off a decently powerful magic cannon blast yourself. I really like the idea of this one, but it feels like somebody's student design project, half-baked in explanation to players of how things works, and untapped potential in systems that could be added and implementation.

Uncharted Waters Origin is what you would get if you made an Age of Sails game as anime as humanly possible. Split between combat, exploration, and trading all around the world in the early 1500s, Origin feels more like they're trying to reboot the last MMO than a true return to the original games that started the series. If you want to be optimistic, it's because you think that Uncharted Waters Online was a decent game that just happened to be super janky in execution and a redesign of the more annoying systems and a fresh coat of paint is all that's really needed to make it into the game that it really wanted to be. If you're pessimistic, then you think Uncharted Waters Online was/devolved into an incomprehensible cash grab and that this is going to be even more of one based on the fact the game architecture's been reworked to allow mobile users in and there's a bunch of mobile game elements (energy system, cash shop, spamming you with a billion rewards for that sweet dopamine rush) that are creeping in at the edges. Also they still haven't given up on including anti-cheat rootkits which force you to run the game in admin mode just to work. I'm still probably gonna try the full thing once it's out on Steam for real just because it's so very good at its specific weird niche to pass up.

(There are more boat games, but I haven't gotten to them yet and honestly they look pretty mediocre. May edit this post with them later.)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 9, 2023

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Jossar posted:

I'm on a boat! (Steam NextFest Edition)

Dreadful River is a game where you're tasked with repowering the king's crown, but in order to do so you have to bring both down the river on a boat ride while under attack from enemies. You've got a crew who does auto-attacking which you can upgrade with loot that you find along the river/buy from blacksmiths and you can fire off a decently powerful magic cannon blast yourself. I really like the idea of this one, but it feels like somebody's student design project, half-baked in explanation to players of how things works, and untapped potential in systems that could be added and implementation.

Uncharted Waters Origin is what you would get if you made an Age of Sails game as anime as humanly possible. Split between combat, exploration, and trading all around the world in the early 1500s, Origin feels more like they're trying to reboot the last MMO than a true return to the original games that started the series. If you want to be optimistic, it's because you think that Uncharted Waters Online was a decent game that just happened to be super janky in execution and a redesign of the more annoying systems and a fresh coat of paint is all that's really needed to make it into the game that it really wanted to be. If you're pessimistic, then you think Uncharted Waters Online was/devolved into an incomprehensible cash grab and that this is going to be even more of one based on the fact the game architecture's been reworked to allow mobile users in and there's a bunch of mobile game elements (energy system, cash shop) that are creeping in at the edges. Also they still haven't given up on including anti-cheat rootkits which force you to run the game in admin mode just to work. I'm still probably gonna try the full thing once it's out on Steam for real just because it's so very good at its specific weird niche to pass up.

(There are more boat games, but I haven't gotten to them yet and honestly they look pretty mediocre. May edit this post with them later.)

Uncharted Waters Origin already launched last summer in Asia/KR/SEA and is a failure. You can go back and check their official forums to see the problems people had with the game and how inactive they are
https://uwo.floor.line.games/us/bbs/community/community_us/1
https://uwo.floor.line.games/us/bbsCmn/detail/1657553284129001437

Sailing Era came out last month that's directly inspired by UW: New Horizons

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Ah dang. I had heard about Origin coming out soonish in global before this all started, so was excited to see it in the demo list, but didn't know that it was already a failure in its home markets. With that on top of the other stuff that'll probably sink it for good. Thanks for the tip on Sailing Era though!

Got a look at another boat game or two:

Pirates of Pangea - Land & Sea Survival is a survival game where you build pocket-sized ships in a bottle and deploy them for exploration and treasure hunting while also managing a base home to your standard survival stuff (farming, crafting, etc.).

This is the first one of these where I feel like I'm being unfair because I know that there is a lot more of a game than I actually got to see, but the opening segment did a really bad job of making me want to progress much further. The placeholder-ish graphics and failure to clearly explain how the game works within the game itself (a link is included to an hour long youtube video explaining how a playthrough is supposed to start, which is the epitome of "tell, don't show") make it feel like Generic Survival Game #237, despite the decently cool gameplay shown in the in-engine clips on Steam. So I guess this is sort of like the reverse of my experience of Atomic Picnic - that demo felt really polished in its fundamentals but needed the rest of the game built around it to reflect that. Pangea really needs to go back and work on its basics to reach what looks like an already in-place game.

Corsairs Legacy - Pirate Action RPG & Sea Battles - Kind of hard to judge this one because it's really just a mechanics test. I feel like somebody releases a barebones but technically competent ship combat game hoping it'll become the next big pirate game every couple of years or so though, so not really going to pay attention unless two years from now it pops up to rave reviews.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 9, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

explosivo posted:

Check out the HL2 VR mod if you haven't yet, It's fantastic.

Ahh man, I downloaded this all excited after having a great time in Alyx. It looks great and the opening with G-Man and the brief bit of the train station I could stomach was incredible, but unfortunately they don't have the blink movement that Alyx does (which, to be fair, was actually DESIGNED to be played in VR) and the moment I moved in-game I felt sick. Never experienced motion sickness in games before but the effect was almost instant, and no matter what I did to the vignette size or movement speed, nothing alleviated it.

What a shame :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
“Tape To Tape” is a new-to-me demo that is NHL95 meets Slay The Spire. The boss level was you playing a team of refs. Instabuy for me!