Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
A couple of credit cards offer cell phone insurance (with a deductible) as a benefit if you pay your cell phone bill with that card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The latest OnePlus 9P security update (January) didn't seem to be a major/minor version change, but all of a sudden Slay the Spire no longer crashes on multitasking!!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The Feb update has broken bedtime mode on my P7 - it's set to only switch on when charging between 10 and 6, but is turning on at 10 regardless of wether its charging

A minor annoyance :manning:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The OnePlus 11 removes wireless charging and downgrades the storage speed. Very underwhelming.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are you recommending using 5G instead of 4G, or using my work WiFi?

I mean to say if your carrier has 5g SA, turning off 5g will actually be bad for your battery, but if it doesn't and your 4g data is congested, you will use more battery on 4g than even 5g NSA. tmo now has sa but when it didn't, I do remember my pixel and iphone would go to 4g when screen was off, it does still go to 4g when using wifi-calling though. I wish it would just entirely switch cell radio, but I know it doesn't because otherwise calls would drop if it had to switch as registering network takes some time.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

THF13 posted:

A couple of credit cards offer cell phone insurance (with a deductible) as a benefit if you pay your cell phone bill with that card.

even my capital one debit card and dave online bank does ( i got it for the bear card). KAs does my credit cards with cone, the one that doesn't is my bank of America cc's or db's.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FistEnergy posted:

The OnePlus 11 removes wireless charging and downgrades the storage speed. Very underwhelming.

I'm not seeing where the storage is downgraded. It's UFS 4.0 where the OnePlus 10 Pro was UFS 3.1.

Non-pro models have never had wireless charging.

https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-11-performance-evaluation

quote:

As for storage speed, the OnePlus 11 is one of the first smartphones to use UFS 4.0 storage. There's no other way to put it: it's fast.

There's not a whole lot else to say here. This is some of the fastest phone storage that I've ever tested. Fast phone storage is important because you can have the fastest CPU in the world, but if the storage is slow, games and other apps may be painstakingly slow to launch. You're not going to run into any problems like that here.

Most of the reviews for the OnePlus 11 have actually been very positive and it's been called a return to form. I still think the ColorOSification of OxygenOS is a real downgrade and I'm kinda bummed that they seem to have abandoned large camera sensors, but I have to admit it does look like a pretty nice alternative to the S23+ even though it's a real hard sell over the Pixel 7 at its current price (especially given that the 2x camera isn't really all that useful for a real tele.)

One thing is clear though, it's a FAST phone and a battery beast. SD8 Gen 2 is really going to be an awesome platform and I hope going to 3nm for Tensor 3 gets Google into the same efficiency game.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 9, 2023

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so looks like i won't be able to buy my 7 until at least tomorrow. for some reason my card kept getting declined and after i was able to call my bank to remove a block on there, the google store said i can't make any more purchases on the 7 cause i 'bought' it too many times (even though not one single order went through) :argh:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I just got the new Android Auto update today as well. I like it in theory, except it still doesn't respect my "Day/Night Maps mode" setting and defaults to "day" regardless of time of day or if I have it set to "night" permanently.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Android Auto uses head unit light status for Day/Night, so it goes by if you have your headlights on.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Splinter posted:

I just got the new Android Auto update today as well. I like it in theory, except it still doesn't respect my "Day/Night Maps mode" setting and defaults to "day" regardless of time of day or if I have it set to "night" permanently.

I vaguely recall having this happening. My car had a dial somewhere that adjusted the brightness of the dash gauges and things, if I moved that dial down a single notch from max brightness day/night started working correctly. I have not touched this dial in ~5 years, and I honestly don't remember for sure if it affected Android Auto or just the regular car infotainment. (2017 Subaru Impreza)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

eXXon posted:

Just checked some TIVs at Fi:

S21 5G 128GB: $270 ($235 cracked screen)

So I checked Fi's site the other day and a S21+ 256GB was listed at $330. By the time I ordered today, it had dropped to $270. So either Fi is being sneaky and reporting different prices on the order page, or they're adjusting TIVs ~weekly or more frequently.

Anyway, something I didn't know is that the 256GB S23 comes with ~2x faster UFS 4.0 storage, while the 128GB has UFS 3.1 (same as all S22 models). I don't know what that's really a bottleneck for besides bloated games and massive file transfers, but it's technically something.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Android Auto uses head unit light status for Day/Night, so it goes by if you have your headlights on.

The amount of poo poo you know never ceases to amaze me!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

How's this work with daytime running lights? Those are always on in my two vehicles, and I it AA switches when I would expect.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hooah posted:

How's this work with daytime running lights? Those are always on in my two vehicles, and I it AA switches when I would expect.

Running lights don't affect it in any way

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Running lights don't affect it in any way

So what makes it change then if my headlights are always on?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hooah posted:

So what makes it change then if my headlights are always on?

Running lights aren't headlights, unless something's really hokey with your wiring

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
From my own personal experience, AA day/night cycle is not tied to the headlights, but to the day/night sensor on the car. That is, if your headlights are set on Auto, they turn on when it doesn't get enough UV light and AA turns to dark mode. But if you're driving in heavy rain or fog and turn on your lights manually, AA is still in day mode until it gets dark.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
That's weird mine is 100% connected to headlights on/off. DRLs have no effect... Just the manual switch.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Got the new AA yesterday. I like it. Better use of the screen real estate. I hated that the map was always off-center even if I minimized the search. Since the useable part of the map only took up 2/3 of the screen anyway, might as well have useful info there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Got the new AA yesterday. I like it. Better use of the screen real estate. I hated that the map was always off-center even if I minimized the search. Since the useable part of the map only took up 2/3 of the screen anyway, might as well have useful info there.

I liked it in my mom's car, but: I was listening to the radio, so I got rid of the split screen (didn't need 1/3 of the screen being blank). Then, later, I was listening to music off my phone and I couldn't figure out how to bring the split screen back! Maybe if I pulled over and played with it, but I only pressed a few buttons before going back to driving.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got a no name head unit from Amazon and it changes from day to night with a sensor it seems, there's a turn around a cliff on my commute and it'll turn dark when that blocks the light then change back when I'm past it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Volguus posted:

From my own personal experience, AA day/night cycle is not tied to the headlights, but to the day/night sensor on the car. That is, if your headlights are set on Auto, they turn on when it doesn't get enough UV light and AA turns to dark mode. But if you're driving in heavy rain or fog and turn on your lights manually, AA is still in day mode until it gets dark.

It's however your car handles head unit illumination. Most cars have that in sync with the headlights.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I don't have AA or AA-enabled car, but that Assistant driving mode still flips between night and day, and I figured it goes by sunrise/sunset times plus 15 minutes or something like that

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I really dig the new AA - especially as someone who listens to podcasts while driving. It's about time the entire thing wasn't a bloody map - that was unnecessary.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really wish I would get the update. Still waiting.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

bull3964 posted:

It's however your car handles head unit illumination. Most cars have that in sync with the headlights.

I ... suppose. This morning, for example, it was a really lovely and dark morning. Car's lights were set to auto and they were on. The car definitely felt that it was too dark. AA was, however, in day mode. Went under a bridge, it went to dark mode for a second, then went back to day mode when I got out from under the bridge.
So it could be that is connected to the UV sensor but it interprets the values independently from the car itself?

Or it could be that it handles it differently depending on the car and what's available? Like for ringu0, if it has no other information then ... time of day will do?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

:shrug:

I just know on my two cars (Golf R with factory head unit and Subaru BRZ with aftermarket Sony head unit), day/night is in lock step with dash illumination which is in lock step with the headlights (either automatic or manually turned on.)

I have no idea if some cars handle the interior console illumination independently from the headlights.

My phone is 100% in my pocket while I'm driving so it sure as poo poo isn't using any sensors on the phone itself.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 9, 2023

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

THF13 posted:

I vaguely recall having this happening. My car had a dial somewhere that adjusted the brightness of the dash gauges and things, if I moved that dial down a single notch from max brightness day/night started working correctly. I have not touched this dial in ~5 years, and I honestly don't remember for sure if it affected Android Auto or just the regular car infotainment. (2017 Subaru Impreza)

Same on my cars, if the gauge brightness was set to max, it would ignore the daylight sensor and stay in day mode. Set it even one notch below max and everything works as it should.

E: still deciding whether the new AA works better for me than the old one, but it definitely looks a lot better.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

bull3964 posted:

THF13 posted:

Hmm I'll play around with with the illumination dial and headlights, but I'm not sure that's the problem. My headlights are usually either in "auto" or "on" position, which if anything would mean AA maps would be in night more often than day mode, yes? But I'm having the opposite problem. I retrofitted a 2007 car with an AA capable head unit, so maybe it's possible there's no headlight on/off signal for whatever combo of car / head unit I have?

Regardless, I have my day/night map setting set to "Night" rather than "Auto". In that case shouldn't the maps always be in night mode rather than being based off the headlights? My issue is no matter what my day/night setting is set to, AA opens with the maps in day mode. After AA is open, if I go change the setting then change it back, Maps then correctly shows the mode I selected. But I have to do this every single time AA starts up.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Two or three years ago our AA would auto switch to dark mode at precisely the halfway point between sunset and last light. We figured this out because my wife and I couldn't understand why it was slightly different day to day, and eventually we did the math and verified it across the subsequent months. It was actually pretty neat.

Then due to some update or something it just stopped switching. Our car has no light sensor for headlights, and we just leave our headlights on while driving (not daytime running). AA is forever in day mode, unless I turn down the knob for the interior dash lights even one notch below max, then it's in night mode.

I'd love to get back the auto switch, but I've never figured out if that was some hidden setting or what.

Since it's probably at least related to the vehicle, I'll note that ours is a 2020 Toyota.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Since the thread is on an AA kick, just this Tuesday I got a car with AA finally, a 2018 Odyssey. Does anyone use the Motorola MA1 dongle to give wireless AA? I assume it doesn't phantom drain the car and it can be left plugged in all the time?

Also fwiw I noticed my AA was in dark mode this morning when I was leaving the store and I basically shrugged and figured it was just Google being Google but I was in a parking garage so that checks out now I guess.

Also also Tuesday night I had the older AA (my wife's car has AA so I'm familiar with it) but when I took the kids to the park on Wednesday morning I had the new one.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
I got the AA update and now every time I use the Google assistant in the car it reads my Keep lists to me, no matter what input I give it. Cool.

Edit: uninstall/reinstall fixed it

Sneeing Emu fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 10, 2023

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Sneeing Emu posted:

I got the AA update and now every time I use the Google assistant in the car it reads my Keep lists to me, no matter what input I give it. Cool.

Edit: uninstall/reinstall fixed it

Missed opportunity.
First keep list is supposed to be just your manifestations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Humerus posted:

Since the thread is on an AA kick, just this Tuesday I got a car with AA finally, a 2018 Odyssey. Does anyone use the Motorola MA1 dongle to give wireless AA? I assume it doesn't phantom drain the car and it can be left plugged in all the time?

Also fwiw I noticed my AA was in dark mode this morning when I was leaving the store and I basically shrugged and figured it was just Google being Google but I was in a parking garage so that checks out now I guess.

Also also Tuesday night I had the older AA (my wife's car has AA so I'm familiar with it) but when I took the kids to the park on Wednesday morning I had the new one.

I'm not sure and would appreciate what others have to say. I have one and I actually unplugged it this evening because I went outside with my car parked in the driveway and my phone popped up the "Android Auto - Continue on your vehicle's screen" notification despite my car being off and locked.

I'm guessing the battery drain isn't too high but I was feeling paranoid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It depends on your car if it keeps ports active when it’s off.

I know my AAWireless dongles have specific modes for cars that keep their ports on. It looks for the car’s bluetooth and if it doesn’t see it, it shuts down the adapter.

At any rate, i would expect the drain to be very minimal.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Crossposting from the WearOS thread:

I am looking for a WearOS watch with LTE. I really don't like lugging my phone with me on workouts.

I basically just want LTE use for podcast/music streaming and emergency calls.

As much as I love to pretend I'll use a lot of exercise apps... I won't. Whatever built in health tracking it has is fine.

I have $70 in Google Store credit and that would make the Pixel Watch LTE about $275 with the current extra $50 it has off right now.

Is that my cheapest/best bet? I have a P7 phone.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

bull3964 posted:

It depends on your car if it keeps ports active when it’s off.

I know my AAWireless dongles have specific modes for cars that keep their ports on. It looks for the car’s bluetooth and if it doesn’t see it, it shuts down the adapter.

At any rate, i would expect the drain to be very minimal.

I have an obd2 dongle on my car and it is well programmed to go off or deep sleep depending on voltage, but I would be careful with no brand audio stuff for that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hey, I have a weird question - there apparently aren't any rules about retailers selling phones that are out of their support lifetime, huh? Or even carriers?

The Motorola One 5G Ace dropped out of support in January, but doing a quick search I see it is still for sale at Best Buy and Verizon, amongst other places. It seems like borderline fraud to sell a phone as new that is not being supported and will not get any updates.

I've never had a reason to really think about it before, but I have one of these phones and learned the harsh lesson that Motorola is worst-in-class when it comes to support. I'm planning to put LineageOS on it (it's my secondary/backup phone) but the idea of people buying one new and not realizing it is out of support just seems sketchy as hell.

Edit: On a second look it appears Best Buy only has it Open Box, so it isn't for sale as new. AFAICT you could still sign up as a new Verizon customer and choose it as your phone, which still seems sketchy.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, carriers have sold phones before that never got a single update period. So, it doesn't seem much different.