Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Does wint read this thread? :tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1623218731920007172

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Corla Plankun posted:

I like street photography photos a lot but every street photographer docu I've ever seen portrays a horrible little hobgoblin of a man being an absolute pest to everyone around him.

Vivian Maier?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I'm terrified of doing street because im terrified of confrontation in 2023

even taking this shot I was like "fuckfuckfuck"

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Slotducks posted:

I'm terrified of doing street because im terrified of confrontation in 2023

even taking this shot I was like "fuckfuckfuck"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO1N9mkmGmA

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol sounds like a typical self centered artist "if only people knew what I was thinking it was so noble they would hug me"

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Lmao

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If you care less about the photo and more about if you're perceived as an rear end in a top hat for taking it then I don't know what to say. It's a reflection of your own insecurity and an excuse to not put yourself out there and engage with an art form via moral justification.

Go out and take good photos, people won't care, if someone does they'll ask you to delete it and that's when you get to decide if you're an rear end in a top hat or not.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 9, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's called consideration you should try it some time

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think it's actually called mindfulness

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

mindful of that ballin rear end photo you just took

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Consider deez photos

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
It's just a prank art bro

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Maybe I just have a friendly vibe but negative experiences are extremely rare for me. In fact, most people respond positively to being photographed. It's a great way to meet people and make friends.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
anyone street photographs me i swear i'll do time

Thoren
May 28, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

Not when you see my disarmingly boyish smile.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't really mind much if someone photographs me in the street, although here it would be illegal for them to publish that photo without my permission. Quite a lot of countries have stricter rules than the US on photography even in public, I guess that might lead to (or stem from?) a greater expectation of privacy in public places. I thought it was interesting up thread that someone said you shouldn't photograph other people's kids, when many famous street photos are of children.

Also in reading about what the deal is in the US I found out that if you're American you need a license to do street photography from space. You can apply here, but you'll still need a pretty good on-camera flash.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

this is a very sane reaction to have

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Canada has a "one party consent" law with regards to recording in public spaces. If anyone complains I loudly and firmly say "*I* consent to this photo" and move on. (this is a joke)

I'm going to share my people based street photography and you all can tell me if I'm being annoying or not. I'm new so it's hard to tell.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 9, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

gently caress consent I'm doing "art" that no one else will care about, these plebs are just props to me lol

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
no one is going to care either way

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
like u seem fine with using people as props if its candid so what is your argument really. somehow you seem to be saying that bothering other people is pretentious - perhaps u should think more kindly about urself :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm such a coward I don't even like photographing abandoned homesteads on the prairie out of concern the land owner is gonna charge through the cornfield in his F150 and yell at me.

Or the towns either. It feels like I'm invading someone's home to make their run down main street part of my art project.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

is concert photography okay

or people in the background of movie shoots

what about cameras on ATMs

what about tiktok or youtube videos of people doing random poo poo

just trying to figure out the line, where consent is needed or whatever

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
This debate started about unexpected flash photography, I don't generally have a problem with street photography, but I would not like to have a flash go off in my face without my knowledge.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

gently caress consent I'm doing "art" that no one else will care about, these plebs are just props to me lol
you're fine being a creep until they notice you doing it

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

jarlywarly posted:

This debate started about unexpected flash photography, I don't generally have a problem with street photography, but I would not like to have a flash go off in my face without my knowledge.

Yeah it's this for me.

I think 99% of people don't care about street photographers and if I saw one I'd think 'neat'. However someone jumping into peoples paths, putting a camera and flash right into their face, blinding them and probably scaring them half to death in the process? (what Gilden seems to do to get some of his shots) Yeah I'm gonna think they are an arsehole.
And I wouldn't care if it's for Art.

However I get the impression some others are against any photography without strict consent? Which to me kinda makes a lot of photography (not just street) impossible.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Megabound posted:

Go out and take good photos, people won't care, if someone does they'll ask you to delete it and that's when you get to decide if you're an rear end in a top hat or not.

Pushing it on other people to tell you that they care about something is being an rear end in a top hat. Most people don't like confrontation to begin with, and you're even more unapproachable when you've demonstrated that you're willing to flagrantly violate social norms.

I have a hard time believing you can get the mileage you want out of being an rear end in a top hat if you're not going to own it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bellows lugosi posted:

you're fine being a creep until they notice you doing it

I was being sarcastic about consent and quoting the guy in the video basically. Kinda funny how he contradicts himself by saying he's so noble, then that the people he shoots are just props but whatever, this whole thing started about using flash on unsuspecting people.

Obviously consent is almost impossible in most street situations with tons of people around, but if you're up close and personal with them, and especially if you're triggering a flash in their face you should probably ask permission first.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Question I should know the answer to: Does under exposing at high ISOs make the noise shittier when bringing the photo to the proper exposure versus shooting with the correct exposure at high ISOs in the first place?

Shooting RAW.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yes, to varying degrees based upon your sensor, how far you’re pushing the exposure, etc

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Underexposing means you're letting less light through to the sensor. Bringing up the exposure in post is similar, conceptually, to increasing the gain of the sensor and will similarly degrade image quality. If you have a choice, it's better to expose properly when you take the picture.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Modern sensors are crazy good at getting good detail out of dark shadows. I certainly don't recommend it if you can get the whole histogram in the middle of the box but if you have to decide between underexposed shadows or clipped highlights, go for underexposure.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Brrrmph posted:

Question I should know the answer to: Does under exposing at high ISOs make the noise shittier when bringing the photo to the proper exposure versus shooting with the correct exposure at high ISOs in the first place?

Shooting RAW.

“ISO Invariance” is the term you want to research

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

It is always okay to make a photograph of anyone in a public setting, except other peoples’ children, cause that can get a little problematic

You really, really need to check the local laws on whether that's true or not.

e: Not necessarily you specifically, but whoever's out photographing people in a public setting.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

However someone jumping into peoples paths, putting a camera and flash right into their face, blinding them and probably scaring them half to death in the process? (what Gilden seems to do to get some of his shots) Yeah I'm gonna think they are an arsehole.

Has anyone ever taken your photo before or are you just that delicate of constitution that any time someone takes a photo of you you need someone to rush over with smelling salts?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Megabound posted:

Has anyone ever taken your photo before or are you just that delicate of constitution that any time someone takes a photo of you you need someone to rush over with smelling salts?

Is ignoring where people are coming from you being an artist or just you being an rear end in a top hat?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Brrrmph posted:

Shooting RAW.
sorry to return to this, there is no "correct" exposure. the exposure is whatever you think it should be, or, if you're letting the camera to the talking, whatever that particular metering mode thinks it should be. There's a lotta good photos out there that are over or under exposed in relation to what a light meter would read.

dunno if you need to hear that or not, sorry if you don't

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Thank you all for the helpful answers on my high ISO, underexposure question. I’m shooting a play tomorrow night so I was over thinking in a bit, but the feedback is helpful.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

sorry to return to this, there is no "correct" exposure. the exposure is whatever you think it should be, or, if you're letting the camera to the talking, whatever that particular metering mode thinks it should be. There's a lotta good photos out there that are over or under exposed in relation to what a light meter would read.

dunno if you need to hear that or not, sorry if you don't

For sure. Always a good reminder. The context of my question stemmed from my daughters elementary school basketball league where they play in dimly lit gyms. So with what I’m going for shooting photos for the other parents of kids on the team I try to keep things bright and cheery.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Public spaces like parks typically require a permit for any photography, especially if you’re jumping out the bushes and with a strobe like some sort of weirdo who is tone-deaf to social cues

Also taking photos of people in public and being really standoffish about the intended use of the photos is a great way to get punched in the face

Do what you will with this information

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Absolute noob here, as in first couple days with a dslr (I bought a very cheap d40). Is there a standard way to process raw images? I have been shooting with raw instead of jpgs because I understand they are uncompressed images, but then the camera doesn't apply the "finishing touches" to the image - what is the fastest way to get them done? I bought a dslr for an upcoming trip and don't have a heap of time to learn the ins and outs of editing. The following pics I've used darktable and have pretty much just used the automatic settings for white balance, exposure etc and messed with the filmic rgb plugin (generally on auto) on some of them. It was a very bright summer day in Australia and these were shot at about 11 in the morning but the processing has resulted in (what i feel like) are slightly warmer and darker images than i was expecting? They look nice, don't get me wrong. Maybe I'm just overthinking it? I shot with the automatic setting on the camera and I think they were all around 200 iso.

Also, in the final image something has happened where the brightest whites have gone almost purple? I think this is from the software lowering the exposure or something? I would just like to figure out a workflow that includes the minimum amount of me sitting at the pc scratching my head lol. I'm open to eventually buying some software but for now i'd like to stick to something free/open source.