Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Prowler posted:

This is not just for your benefit; there are other folks posting their progress as well. I read the post because I was aware of the "spoilers regarding the villain," but the post in response to that was all related to that topic until the very end, where they dropped in another, unrelated spoiler that wasn't tagged.

Sorry if this was me, I sorta figured that anyone reading the spoiler of the main villain probably also beat the game, and thought putting it all behind the spoilers would be good enough. I added an additional bit of text just in case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

It's mid June in my P3P male MC run, and I pretty much am either meh on or dislike nearly all my Social links.

• I wanna slap Devil, Magician and Emperor
  • Bored to tears by Justice and Strength
  • Getting Kawakami vibes from Hermit, which is not a good thing
  • I want to like Temperance, but the characterization is so stereotyped it just makes me feel bad
  • Eh so far on Chariot and Hanged Man
  • Only Hierophant has been enjoyable so far

I really hope things pick up social link-wise later because I only liked a few Social links in P4G and I was hoping things would be better here.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

anakha posted:

It's mid June in my P3P male MC run, and I pretty much am either meh on or dislike nearly all my Social links.

I really hope things pick up social link-wise later because I only liked a few Social links in P4G and I was hoping things would be better here.

This was a foolish thing to hope for

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Serious answer: There's like, maybe two or three Social Links in the male route that are any good at all.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Sorry if this was me, I sorta figured that anyone reading the spoiler of the main villain probably also beat the game, and thought putting it all behind the spoilers would be good enough. I added an additional bit of text just in case!

Thank you for listening to my nagging!

I have gotten to the Feb dungeon and (last dungeon mechanics spoiler) you mean all the neat stuff I cobbled together in the extra month of free time is mostly worthless?! I really, really hope that there isn't a mechanic or boss that requires you to use all of your team, because I have two party members in their 40s and one in the lower 60s, while my main party is mid 70s. (More last dungeon stuff) The cool thing about the dungeon's mechanic is that this doesn't necessarily matter as much, and level 44 Kanji is still helpful. But one attack hit him for 400 while the rest of the party either dodged or got hit for double digits, soooooo, oopsie.

I'm at the level where I can start fusing some of the s-link personas. Do I pretty much just need to use the fusion calculator (and maybe guide to even remember what they are)? Or do they not have special recipes like some of them seemed to in Persona 5?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah turns out all of my favorite social links in P3 were female only, except for my actual favorite (___Sun___), which AFAIK is the same across both routes.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Prowler posted:

Thank you for listening to my nagging!

I have gotten to the Feb dungeon and (last dungeon mechanics spoiler) you mean all the neat stuff I cobbled together in the extra month of free time is mostly worthless?! I really, really hope that there isn't a mechanic or boss that requires you to use all of your team, because I have two party members in their 40s and one in the lower 60s, while my main party is mid 70s. (More last dungeon stuff) The cool thing about the dungeon's mechanic is that this doesn't necessarily matter as much, and level 44 Kanji is still helpful. But one attack hit him for 400 while the rest of the party either dodged or got hit for double digits, soooooo, oopsie.

I'm at the level where I can start fusing some of the s-link personas. Do I pretty much just need to use the fusion calculator (and maybe guide to even remember what they are)? Or do they not have special recipes like some of them seemed to in Persona 5?

Some have special recipes - Norn for instance needs the three fates, Clotho, Lachesis, and Fortuna. Others like Ishtar can be made from dozens of different combinations so will just show up easily when checking your currently available to fuse list if you've got a level appropriate rotation going. I had to look up a few of them but I got Alice just because her sole two ingredients happened to be close in level and were part of my current active team.

Also I kind of love the Feb Dungeon for changing up the mechanics, even if taking away all your money means it's impossible to mess around with fusing unless you get lucky on finding a bunch of hands in the dungeon. Stalling out the odd battles to get your team's SP back isn't necessarily the most engaging mechanic, but it's still something new and doesn't outstay its welcome.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

No Wave posted:

Yes, which is why the Nanaclue is confusing for people who were suspecting Adachi to start with. She has a very good reason to open the door for Adachi, it's an even better reason than deliveryman.

Actually she does have a good reason: Dojima isn't home most of the day, so getting deliveries for food/etc. instead of taking her to Junes for Grocery shopping would make sense given it's a "frequent stranger" that is doing their job. Now, in the time-frame that Inaba is in during that period, is it smart? More than definitely not, but I can see why Nanako, a smaller "latch-key kid" (before Souji comes in) would have that trust.

(Half-spoiled, I dunno if I should fully spoiler this...)

Prowler posted:

Yes, some are specials. If you're going for 100% Compendium, use the calculator. If not, it really doesn't matter so long as you have skills/weaknesses covered.

With that said, you can raise your lower members fast in those dungeons provided you have Victory Cry on like 2-3 different elemental personae because you can just switch to weaknesses and knock-down/All Out Attack (if possible to one-shot in the AOA) to SHUFFLE TIME™ into Minor Arcana Wand Cards for EXP boosts. Given they're lower level (and IIRC it acts like Persona 3 FES/Portable) it'll give you more EXP for those characters to catch them up.

Given this is the last dungeon and IIRC, you can't go back to the previous ones, it's probably not worth doing. But it's something to keep in mind.

AnonymouseNo5 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 7, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

anakha posted:

Eh, if you've played more than one Persona game, you'd already be suspicious of any key recurring character with a portrait that isn't part of a social link.

Giving Akechi a social link in P5R was a good choice for this reason. I figured that he was going to be an antagonist because c'mon, they couldn't possibly bang that drum harder, but it helped sell the rivalry and get buy-in from me. As a first-time Persona player, I didn't have the preconception, but I'd also suspect terminal genre blindness if someone wasn't suspicious of that character's positioning in the narrative.

Something something Death Note parallel here.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Possibly my fave aspect of p4 was the way it basically says to the player 'oh you know who the killer is?? here's a list of every character in the loving game. time to choose, hope you're right' which has the effect of even if you're pretty sure you know who it is you get that moment of 'poo poo am I right?' because everyone is there to make you second guess yourself

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

Possibly my fave aspect of p4 was the way it basically says to the player 'oh you know who the killer is?? here's a list of every character in the loving game. time to choose, hope you're right' which has the effect of even if you're pretty sure you know who it is you get that moment of 'poo poo am I right?' because everyone is there to make you second guess yourself

That's funny, I had the total opposite reaction.
I was like "I don't fuckin' know who the killer is!" Then I was going down the list of names and they're all obviously wrong save for one.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's also sort of a meta joke since the identity of the true culprit changed multiple times over the course of development and several people on that list were - at one point - planned to be the killer. Off the top of my head Dojima and Yukiko were at different points both planned to be the killer.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That doesn’t really sound meta at all.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, if the list only included the characters who were at one point planned to be the killer you'd have a point, but afaik that's not the case.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

It's also sort of a meta joke since the identity of the true culprit changed multiple times over the course of development and several people on that list were - at one point - planned to be the killer. Off the top of my head Dojima and Yukiko were at different points both planned to be the killer.

Yukiko, really? But then I can't really see Dojima being the killer either without extensive rewriting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The idea of Dojima being the killer was likely so early in development that the game bore almost no resemblance to the finished product at the time

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Edit: do not read this post I guess unless you've beaten P4: It's nice that it's tied up I guess. But at the time and still kinda to this day it feels like they sorta just pulled a "final villain go kill god." Like it's set up in the very first hour of the game where you shake their hand, but other than that it never really comes up again and so it leaves me feeling pretty meh about the entire thing. Especially after the whole resolution of the murder mystery and stuff.

Golden definitely did a better job with it though using Marie to set it up a whole lot more, but I found it pretty confusing and sloppy in the base game where everything else pretty much hung together otherwise

This is because you never went back to the gas station when it was raining, did you?. :v:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Arist posted:

The idea of Dojima being the killer was likely so early in development that the game bore almost no resemblance to the finished product at the time

I would guess it would likely be more accurate to say "MC's guardian" and "The first victim to be saved" were considered as potential culprits during the outlining phase, rather than the completed characters "Dojima" and "Yukiko."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmao I came across a detail in P4G that is straight up incredible (January); Yosuke's entire social link has an alternate script if you do it in January; with him talking about you leaving soon or feeling resolved that the case is over, instead of talking about the case as I presume he normally would. It's like they knew you'd only hang out with him once you've maxed out everything else.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arist posted:

Not necessarily, Dojima actually checks off a decent number of conditions for the killer (able to drop the note off at the house, would have gotten Nanako to open the door because he wasn't a stranger, works as a cop and has the ability to waylay the investigation and move around in the open without it being suspicious) really it would only take a few writing tweaks. If anything the supposed Yukiko idea feels like it would need a huge overhaul of the story to even slightly make sense.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
(Persona 4 spoiler that is a half-spoiler, I guess) Dojima being the killer would've been cool. On the level of having Adults as a party in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. It would've ruined the characterization they went with, however. But I can see the potential there more than the one they chose at the end.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sydin posted:

Not necessarily, Dojima actually checks off a decent number of conditions for the killer (able to drop the note off at the house, would have gotten Nanako to open the door because he wasn't a stranger, works as a cop and has the ability to waylay the investigation and move around in the open without it being suspicious) really it would only take a few writing tweaks. If anything the supposed Yukiko idea feels like it would need a huge overhaul of the story to even slightly make sense.

I mean, (P4 vanilla endgame) dude absolutely fits the profile, outside of motive, but I think it'd take more than a little tweak to make that bit stick. Here's what the game script thinks of Dojima being the culprit:

"...If Dojima is the killer, he must have been careful to hide his ability to enter the TV world. Based on that assumption, it seems possible that it could be him. After all, as your uncle and owner of the house where you stayed, he could easily have observed your actions. Obviously, he had easy access to his own house, and he'd be more familiar than anyone else with the area. However... your uncle wants to solve this case even at the cost of his life. His only daughter Nanako was kidnapped by Namatame... When you consider all the facts, there's very little to support Dojima as the killer. For the sake of the suffering detective and his daughter Nanako, you must find the real suspect."

I looked up some of the others also, but that is by far the meatiest one. Nanako's is also pretty good: "Would that be physically possible...? Even assuming she can enter the TV, she would have had to carry victims who were more than twice her size. It would be absurd to suspect her as the killer... If nothing else, she was an innocent victim who got caught up in the incident... For the sake of the suffering child and her father, you must find the true culprit behind all this." Yukiko gets a generic "But your companions didn't gain their ability to enter the TV until after the murder of Mayumi Yamano... Their alibis are airtight. More than that, however, they are your friends who helped you reach this far in the mystery... You see no real reason to consider them suspects..." response for accusing a party member other than Teddie, who doesn't get the alibi line.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

This is because you never went back to the gas station when it was raining, did you?. :v:

tbh yeah, probably not :shobon:

I pretty much only fast travel or bee-line to whatever I'm doing for the time slot in these games. There's probably a ton I'm missing out on come to think of it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Almost certainly. Like in P4 and especially P5 you can catch notable NPCs and the start of later plot points way earlier than their relevance.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
In p4 Yamatame hangs out in random places all game basically admitting his guilt.

In p5 my favorite was club promoters trying tp get you to go somewhere way early on. Kaneshiro's palace wasnt my favorite but the shibuya situation going out of control was well done.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The weirdest I've found is one in late October in P4 when everyone is hinting at the next plot beat, but the old guy by the shrine straight up spoils it, saying something along the lines of "That little girl is gonna be the next person to be thrown into the TV. Anyway, did you find that fine coal I was looking for?" I guess it's an awkward translation of a line that was meant to be more ambiguous, because, uh,

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Everything Dojima does in the lead-up to Nanako getting kidnapped reads as a remnant of the drafts where he was the killer, because it's almost the only way to justify what the gently caress he's doing there.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

No Wave posted:

In p4 Yamatame hangs out in random places all game basically admitting his guilt.

Yup, he has a ton of unique dialogue that changes throughout the year if you bother looking for him.

The copycat killer does too. And Adachi. It's kinda neat that all the criminals can just be found hanging out doing normal daily things when they aren't doing their crimes. Just like in real life!

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
SP adhesive 3 is pretty much just the best accessory in the game right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Scoss posted:

SP adhesive 3 is pretty much just the best accessory in the game right?

It was in vanilla, in Royal I'd rather take a good extra skill accessory on basically anyone

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In vanilla? Yeah it's basically mandatory. In Royal it's honestly not needed because the game basically vomits ways to restore SP at you.

e;f,b

Prowler
May 24, 2004

P4G Post February dungeon:
Wow, they just kinda slipped that shamelessly fan service hot springs video in there near the end there just because, huh?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Prowler posted:

P4G Post February dungeon:
Wow, they just kinda slipped that shamelessly fan service hot springs video in there near the end there just because, huh?

It's the best cap off to the Rise cheesecake video near the opening.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
For most of the game you're fine with only having an SP patch on Joker but towards the end and especially in the Royal content your SP consumption is going to start growing much faster than your max SP. When your only remaining healing spells are full-heals and squad full-heals they'll chew through SP fast. Takemi's consumables max out at full-squad 200 HP heals which is seriously inadequate for endgame use. Though maybe those spells are a trap and keeping the last-but-one tier healing spells is a better use of SP.

You can buy a bunch of safe room dinners from Jose to replenish your SP in a dungeon crawl, but SP exhaustion in end game boss battles is a real concern, especially if you keep the big dick Third Awakening spells. I'm kind of conflicted on those in general, while they are very powerful they have such an atrocious SP cost that their use is justified in the final battle and pretty much nowhere else. They don't even do an anime cut-in animation like the equivalent spells in P4G, cmon. if I'm dropping ~96 SP on a full-squad Heat Riser or whatever I want an anime cut-in.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I spent all game carefully farming SP items in royal. Then made Izanami no Okami and oops no longer needed lol.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

For most of the game you're fine with only having an SP patch on Joker but towards the end and especially in the Royal content your SP consumption is going to start growing much faster than your max SP. When your only remaining healing spells are full-heals and squad full-heals they'll chew through SP fast. Takemi's consumables max out at full-squad 200 HP heals which is seriously inadequate for endgame use. Though maybe those spells are a trap and keeping the last-but-one tier healing spells is a better use of SP.

You can buy a bunch of safe room dinners from Jose to replenish your SP in a dungeon crawl, but SP exhaustion in end game boss battles is a real concern, especially if you keep the big dick Third Awakening spells. I'm kind of conflicted on those in general, while they are very powerful they have such an atrocious SP cost that their use is justified in the final battle and pretty much nowhere else. They don't even do an anime cut-in animation like the equivalent spells in P4G, cmon. if I'm dropping ~96 SP on a full-squad Heat Riser or whatever I want an anime cut-in.

I don't think the uber spells are worth it on anything that doesn't at least have Spell Master to be honest. You're just not getting enough damage-per-SP and I feel like there's pretty much no situation where I need something dead right now where a -dyne wouldn't do the job and leave me with follow-up options.

No Wave posted:

I spent all game carefully farming SP items in royal. Then made Izanami no Okami and oops no longer needed lol.

I'm consciously avoiding using INO in set-piece fights because lmao. The DLC persona are just loving whack.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Full Heal spells are awful use of SP. Beads and their Chains cover the times you actually need it and Mediarama is fine for lighter damage

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

This is all advice for Vanilla not Royal. First if on PC Royal (or all DLC PS4 Royal) Camera Strap >> SP Adhesive 3 other than in boss fights. Second for general healing I use Morgana ... out of combat. Knock the enemy down first, patch your guys up after - and Morgana's SP is recovered by Futaba for being out of combat. If you're getting hit on Merciless things went wrong.

Third baton passes and all out attacks are where it's at - and they even recover SP for you in Royal. Which is why for farming (as opposed to boss fights) my Joker uses elemental variety personas; personas with no weaknesses and cheap single target spells of a range of elements. All down -> All Out Attack. You also want Lullaby on one, and either Invigorate 3 (getting this skill card is the best reason for doing Ohya's s-link), Heat Up, Life Aid, or a combination. Also put either Heat Up or Invigorate 3 (or preferably both) onto your starter persona as well as the Auto-Mas (or Attack/Defence/Speed Master earlier); starting with a free 17SP on the first round as well as possibly a full party heat riser (possibly lasting 4 or even 5 rounds with a trait) is excellent. And you want Lullaby somewhere unless using Raoul; it's both an almost free lockdown (saving so many HP) and an almost free technical/knockdown so keep it on Ann as well.

Third Awakening spells cost zero when you get a sweep and are great action economy otherwise even if you then burn a consumable. But only really worth it in the final fight (and even then an all party Heat Riser is something Joker can do with the Hierophant ultimate persona; an all party Charge on the other hand is great).

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Some of the posts about Yoshizawa's phone in P5R had me confused before as to the significance being alluded to, but I think it just hit me: the reason her phone is fucky is because of Maruki's actualization power causing some kind of interference right? Something something bending Mementos around her to complete the actualization :techno:?

For reference, this is at the 185 hour mark in the middle of my second playthrough, if anyone is trying to benchmark how dense I am about foreshadowing.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Warmachine posted:

Some of the posts about Yoshizawa's phone in P5R had me confused before as to the significance being alluded to, but I think it just hit me: the reason her phone is fucky is because of Maruki's actualization power causing some kind of interference right? Something something bending Mementos around her to complete the actualization :techno:?

For reference, this is at the 185 hour mark in the middle of my second playthrough, if anyone is trying to benchmark how dense I am about foreshadowing.
I don't get the significance of it either except that it runs out of batteries at some convenient point.