Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/aBUUvae.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

They…lowered the canopy??

https://i.imgur.com/PhGrrow.gifv

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Like a glove...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
how else are you supposed to fit two in there?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

"Sneaker waves" says the guy observing the roaring Pacific Ocean from below the wave crests.

:how:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Something tells me from the panicked roll he has done this before and it didn't go as well.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:stare:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rpqboy1vQ21r0uzl6.mp4

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Can someone explain how he's not dead? Wouldn't the electricity run through his heart when grabs both wires? Does the aluminum ladder somehow not conduct the electricity through him or something?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

He's wearing rubber flip-flops. As far as I can tell that is literally the only thing preventing him from being vaporized.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

He's wearing rubber flip-flops. As far as I can tell that is literally the only thing preventing him from being vaporized.

Yeah probably enough of an insulator to save him. If he was barefoot or this was any higher voltage than it likely is, it would've jumped through his feet and the stepladder, or if he'd leaned into the ladder it would've been game over but that's not much of a safety.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

My only guess is that some of those cables are circuited in parallel with the others so the two halves are already at the same voltage, thus there isn't a potential across his arms

Otherwise he absolutely should be the path of least resistance; the ground doesn't matter at all for that part

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

AFewBricksShy posted:

Can someone explain how he's not dead? Wouldn't the electricity run through his heart when grabs both wires? Does the aluminum ladder somehow not conduct the electricity through him or something?

I've no idea how much voltage they're dealing with there, but apparently not enough that whatever insulated him from ground (very dry skin, footwear) saved him. Electricity chooses the path of least resistance, and that's why voltage is the thing that kills. Voltage breaks through insulation, like rubber and air, and with enough voltage you get an electric path/arc.

e: I'm problably wrong, not an electrician, just an idiot goober

old bean factory fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 8, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Electroboom at his regular job?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The parts he's grabbing is the insulation. Once the wires are touching he's safe* to touch the actual wires as long as he stays insulated from ground via the flip flops.

*for various values of safe

Zomborgon posted:

My only guess is that some of those cables are circuited in parallel with the others so the two halves are already at the same voltage, thus there isn't a potential across his arms

If there was no potential there wouldn't be any sparks.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

CainFortea posted:

The parts he's grabbing is the insulation. Once the wires are touching he's safe* to touch the actual wires as long as he stays insulated from ground via the flip flops.

*for various values of safe

If there was no potential there wouldn't be any sparks.

I could have sworn he was touching the contact prongs but perhaps not both at once

As far as the sparks are concerned, I figured that things get weird when you get to near-contact of two low resistance parts suddenly taking up current

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 8, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sagebrush posted:

OSHA IV: flip-flops. literally the only thing preventing him from being vaporized

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rpoxx9R84u1vmay6q.mp4

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zomborgon posted:

I could have sworn he was touching the contact prongs but perhaps not both at once

As far as the sparks aee concerns, I figured that things get weird when you get to near-contact of two low resistance parts suddenly taking up current

It's the potential energy differential that makes anything with electricity happen. Any work done is caused by it, so motors spinning, buzzers buzzing, sparks zapping.

But if you watch it again you'll see he only ever has one point of contact with the wires until such time as the wires are already touching. And he's not grounded so that time he grabbed the wire without insulation there was nowhere for it to go.

I've held a single contact of a 5kv transformer while the other contact was being held by someone else and I wasn't grounded and was fine. It was very stupid though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Safety flip flops, single point of contact except where the cable is insulated, or he's a wizard.

I'm pretty sure he's a wizard.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
That's just asking for the universe to drop something pointy through one of the holes.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I was going to say that at least they seem slightly safer than these

but now that I think about it, they really aren't.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

These are pretty dope and they actually look really comfortable.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/6AfzJYr.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/AB2HMlh.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/a0IxGPA.mp4

Kith fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 9, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

looks like a thread title to me

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

anyone else really concerned for those first few slices that seem to get thrown away? :ohdear:

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

anyone else really concerned for those first few slices that seem to get thrown away? :ohdear:

Gotta make sure both sides are flat on every slice

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fix It posted:

Chances are they and the end piece which was even bigger get used in a cheese sauce or something. Those places really like to reduce waste.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

It's just the machine sneaking a couple pieces for itself.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

There's a guy who lives life one quarter mile yabba-dabba do at a time.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rnzonqomNP1zzqf0z.mp4

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Vakal posted:

It's just the machine sneaking a couple pieces for itself.

this is now what i choose to believe. thank you for this powerful thought technology

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Atticus_1354 posted:

These are pretty dope and they actually look really comfortable.

I vaguely remember shoes like this being on the news for messing up people's feet. Or was that just the nes where each toe was separated?

Basically the Flintmobile.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Uthor posted:

I vaguely remember shoes like this being on the news for messing up people's feet. Or was that just the nes where each toe was separated?

That was probably about Vibram FiveFingers.

I don’t think that enough people in the Anglosphere wear jika-tabi.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Mr. Fix It posted:

there's a guy positioned under there on that side with his mouth open

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They’re gathered and assembled into some fine post-consumer cheese products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I happen to give a poo poo about the environment so I only buy recycled cheese products.

Edit: and if that’s American cheese being sliced there, it’s already made with recycled cheddar.