Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

How nanny state do you have to get to limit the most basic medicines lol

gonna start a petition to ban nutmeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'm sure Meg will be pleased.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

glad we banned the sale of effective pain meds 5 years ago only to ban the inneffective ones a few years later too!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I need that paracetamol to home brew film developer, don’t gently caress this up for me!!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Laserface posted:

glad we banned the sale of effective pain meds 5 years ago only to ban the inneffective ones a few years later too!

here have some phenylephrine

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds

froglet posted:

Guess who's pregnant and been taking the stuff to the max this past week coz there's really not much else I can take with this blasted virus or the tonsilitis that took over after?!

... This gal. :dance: :gonk:

:sigh:

Interesting to know, though. :smith:

i'm didn't mean to be a directed downer, i should read more extensively on the subject before dropping something like that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

birdstrike posted:

here have some phenylephrine

That bullshit shouldn't even be legal to sell it's so much of a fraud. Just putting something that does absolutely nothing out and claiming it's real medicine. Not even herbal or anything.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

MikeJF posted:

That bullshit shouldn't even be legal to sell it's so much of a fraud. Just putting something that does absolutely nothing out and claiming it's real medicine. Not even herbal or anything.

Agreed
I've even had pharmacy employees try to give it to me when I've explicitly asked for pseudoephedrine.

The other one that bugs me is that pharmacies will sell homeopathic "drugs" and even recommend them. This should be something that gets them slapped the gently caress down by their governing body at the very least.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

cool biRd pics posted:

i'm didn't mean to be a directed downer, i should read more extensively on the subject before dropping something like that.

Don't stress, it's quite alright! Seriously - it seems like almost everything is bad for pregnancy, so I'm kinda blasé about it now, heh. I figure better that I take it than burn myself out with a fever or whatevs. :)

Laserface posted:

It's not just a pain med, paracetamol is quite good at reducing fevers. Hell, when I was sick with an infection and was speedrunning to the "you're in serious trouble" zone, the first thing the nurses did was give me some paracetamol to bring the fever down.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
No paracetamol? Time to start licking frogs I guess.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Paracetemol is great for bringing down kid's fevers, SMG had some recently and Nurofen didn't seem to have much effect.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

norp posted:

Agreed
I've even had pharmacy employees try to give it to me when I've explicitly asked for pseudoephedrine.

The other one that bugs me is that pharmacies will sell homeopathic "drugs" and even recommend them. This should be something that gets them slapped the gently caress down by their governing body at the very least.

the terry white near my work suggested i ask my doctor to get weaned off my veneflexine (a good idea ive been considering) and replace it with st johns wort (lmao)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I believe people are also ODing on it believing it will cure Covid symptoms.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
‘You can only buy one pack per day without the involvement of a doctor’ is a long long way from ‘taking away paracetamol’.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

Guess who's pregnant and been taking the stuff to the max this past week coz there's really not much else I can take with this blasted virus or the tonsilitis that took over after?!

... This gal. :dance: :gonk:

:sigh:

Interesting to know, though. :smith:

Congrats Froglet! Look forward to meeting Froglet-let.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's not as simple as that for many reasons including accessibility of immediate or per-day trips to get more, how the per-day limit translates to medicines for children (doses are very precise, getting that little bit of liquid slurry out without air bubbles mucking up the measurement in a nearly empty bottle with your patience intact while your child is miserable is an exercise in sainthood), and how it's going to lead to a lot more people having to go to emergency and gp clinics because the times we need medicine are often not the times the chemist is open (or when you can go to Coles for adult packets. Maybe. If the legislation to limit packet sales is trusting minimum wage retail to give a gently caress)

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

hooman posted:

Congrats Froglet! Look forward to meeting Froglet-let.

Tadpolelet

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Congrats froglet.

I did an Auspol:

submission to the NSW Minister for Active Transport, Rob Sotkes posted:

Hi, I'm a Sydney-based cyclist and father and would like a chance to discuss the network of bike paths, at an inter-council level. Sydney has the bones of a world-class cycle network, with many miles of “Gold Class" paths already running. But a few critical gaps severely limits their effectiveness. By looking at the macro level, closing those gaps, and making a few slight improvements elsewhere, we open up cycling to vastly more people, and unlock the massive potential that Active Transport can bring - to the economy, the environment, families, and communities.

Ideally I would like 10-15 minutes with the Minster (any time) to go over and present a plan I have prepared, otherwise am happy to work with whatever is most convenient. Thank you for your time.

Zero expectations but had to give it a go.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Dear Bucky, we would be pleased to organise a sit down with the Minister, although you appear to have forgotten your $50,000 donation. As soon as that comes through we’ll be in touch to sort out diaries.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

Dear Bucky, we would be pleased to organise a sit down with the Minister, although you appear to have forgotten your $50,000 donation. As soon as that comes through we’ll be in touch to sort out diaries.

he will bring 50,000 words

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Was in Woolies tonight and based on the recent discussion thought I’d grab a pack of paracetamol, unfortunately only the most expensive ones are left of the shelf. Panic buying paracetamol?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

I value the plan at $50,000 and trust this settles the matter, thank you

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

DRINK ME posted:

Was in Woolies tonight and based on the recent discussion thought I’d grab a pack of paracetamol, unfortunately only the most expensive ones are left of the shelf. Panic buying paracetamol?

Panamax (off brand Panadol) is a buck for 100 last time I bought it which was probably a while ago cos as previously mentioned it doesn't loving work on me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DRINK ME posted:

Panic buying paracetamol?

Lmao you know it

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

The Lord Bude posted:

‘You can only buy one pack per day without the involvement of a doctor’ is a long long way from ‘taking away paracetamol’.

Uhuh. Uhuh.

So whats the best frog to lick for pain relief?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
just grow weed, you nerd.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Konomex posted:

Uhuh. Uhuh.

So whats the best frog to lick for pain relief?

lets introduce cane toads to nsw and see if they do anything

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Congrats froglet.

I did an Auspol:

Zero expectations but had to give it a go.

If Bicycles NSW can't get an audience... you might, it's election season - so long as they can play you like a trumpet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

labour really loves those offshore detention centers. :|

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I see the ALP are really ramping up the rhetoric against their true ideological opponents, the Greens.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

water wet

quote:

ABC

Gina Rinehart's company, Hancock Prospecting Pty Ltd, was behind a $150,000 payment to the Liberal Party, transferred via a third party, and not declared by the mining giant by the November 17, 2022 deadline.

An ABC investigation has uncovered a series of payments, which a leading barrister and anti-corruption expert believes is a "scheme" to bypass political donation laws.

The Sydney Mining Club kept $40,000, and passed $150,000 to the Liberal Party by way of a membership to its business forum, the Australian Business Network — which a Sydney Mining Club staffer said was part of its arrangement with Hancock.

Platinum sponsorship of the Sydney Mining Club costs $40,000.

An email between two Sydney Mining Club employees at the time, seen by the ABC, noted the money was not to be transferred to the club's "high interest account" because "150k will be going straight out to the liberal party".

When approached by the ABC, one of the employees said she no longer worked for the club, but that chairman Julian Malnic made it "100 per cent clear" the arrangement was made at the request of Hancock Prospecting's CFO, Jabez Huang.

"Julian was very clear that the money was coming from Hancock and it was to be passed on directly to the Liberal Party. It wasn't that it was coming in sort of discretionary, to be spent, you know, as the mining club saw fit."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Gigantic piece of poo poo Alan Tudge has resigned. Probably off to some cushy job in the private sector

Guardian AU posted:

Pressure had been building on Tudge over the past couple of years. He has faced intense scrutiny over his handling of the robodebt debacle while a minister in the Morrison government, including an appearance before the royal commission last week, and because of an extra-marital relationship with one of his former advisers, Rachelle Miller.

During the grilling last week, Tudge denied he was responsible for his department’s failure to check the legality of the robodebt scheme, telling the royal commission the issue didn’t cross his mind “until I read about it in the newspaper” years later.

Miller last year secured a $650,000 settlement from the commonwealth after filing a complaint with the Department of Finance alleging she endured bullying, harassment and discrimination at work during her time on staff for Tudge and another Liberal frontbencher, Michaelia Cash.

The two former ministers denied the allegations, and no admission of liability was made by the government. Miller was in the House of Representatives chamber on Thursday when Tudge confirmed his resignation.

Just an all around stand up loving bloke. Another who has caused immesasurable immiseration and walks away with no loving consequences whatsoever. I wish him nothing but the worst in all his future endeavours.

EDIT: tl;dr the tudge, the.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 10, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
he did it because his daughters are getting "death threats" because of his affair and not because of the scheme he was responsible for and did a smear campaign against people in the newspaper, that caused people to die

totally the affair

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

working as intended

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Murray Watt contacts police after misconduct allegations emerge at APVMA, including staff member urinating on colleagues

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Opinions sought, since probably a lot of people here have HECS debt: is it worth making a voluntary repayment before EOFY since it's pegged to inflation and for the first time in forever, inflation is going to be loving 8% or something?

It obviously depends on your personal financial situation whether you have money sitting around in the first place (I personally could only stump up a few grand) but since the conventional wisdom is that there's never any point in making voluntary HECS repayments, it was a "huh" moment for me when a friend pointed this out to me today.

I also bothered to log on to MyGov and check the last few CPI indexations for HECS payments on June 1:

2018 - 1.9%
2019 - 1.8%
2020 - 1.8%
2021 - 0.6%
2022 - 3.9%

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
As someone with a ~$45k hecs who got caught out by this last last financial year, I'd say yes, if you can afford it you might want to pay extra. The conventional wisdom that there's not much point paying voluntary contributions stops making sense when your hecs goes up over eofy instead of down, which is what happened to me last year. So the mandatory payments I'd made over the last two years got eaten up by indexation, and that sucked :(

If you have higher interest debts I'd say pay these off first before worrying about hecs as it's very low interest compared to say a personal loan or credit card debt, but yeah maybe have a think about how big your hecs is and work out what it's gonna cost you if you don't put anything extra towards it before tax time.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Dav, new thread title : pegged by inflation

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

freebooter posted:

Opinions sought, since probably a lot of people here have HECS debt: is it worth making a voluntary repayment before EOFY since it's pegged to inflation and for the first time in forever, inflation is going to be loving 8% or something?

It obviously depends on your personal financial situation whether you have money sitting around in the first place (I personally could only stump up a few grand) but since the conventional wisdom is that there's never any point in making voluntary HECS repayments, it was a "huh" moment for me when a friend pointed this out to me today.

I also bothered to log on to MyGov and check the last few CPI indexations for HECS payments on June 1:

2018 - 1.9%
2019 - 1.8%
2020 - 1.8%
2021 - 0.6%
2022 - 3.9%

wait until budget night announcements. there is a pushback for this exact reason, who knows if they'll give a gently caress, but don't risk 'wasting' your money before any potential budget night announcements that they'll skip inflation or tie it to wages or some other poo poo idfk.

edit: oh, and write your local mp about your concerns too.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

What's a semester of study cost these days? It used to be about $2k a semester for a full course load science/engineering degree when I went through.