Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
For us it wasn't anything that required any kind of intervention, just recognizing it and talking about it, but like postpartum depression i suspect every person experiences it differently and with differing severity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh it's a thing. Yeah I'll keep an eye on. Partum is such a long journey ughhhhh

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'd be more worried about a toddler who never pitched a stubborn fit where the only thing that would console them is getting their way exactly as they demand it.

Eventually they learn the pattern that that doesn't work.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Today I tried the "shut up babies it's toddler demons turn" while winding him down for a nap. It actually worked.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

son told me on the bus there's a little edgelord and one of his signature things is drawing a big dick with eyeballs for balls.

Son buried the lede and casually blew past today that kid was joking about doing a school shooting. Took a sec for it to register, but I was like "Dude, wow OK first, that kid's penis character actually sounds rad which is too bad because I have to send an email to the school real quick and he is about to have a really, really bad day"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

just wanted to share this story somewhere

tonight, my wife and I had a very difficult conversation about my ADHD management processes, brought on by my super-stressed reaction to a bad performance review. This took up the first hour and a half after our daughter's bedtime. Once it was done, I came downstairs to finally get a minute of decompression time from my stressful day, only to find that the hissing noise I heard wasn't my work laptop in overdrive, it was a pipe in our downstairs bathroom sink, which had burst at some point in the previous 90 minutes, spraying water all over the bottom floor of our house.

LITERALLY SIMULTANEOUSLY with this discovery, my wife heard on the monitor that our kid was awake because she'd thrown up all over her pajamas, sleep sack, and sheets.

gently caress this day.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
drat over an hour into this meltdown over the iPad being turned off. it's kind of impressive the dedication to the bit.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

drat over an hour into this meltdown over the iPad being turned off. it's kind of impressive the dedication to the bit.

My one who is on the spectrum once took a personal time out to get a drink, get a snack, and read for a few minutes to recharge before rolling right back into a tantrum

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

last night at like 4 in the morning my son woke me up screaming, and when i went into his room to see what was wrong all he wanted was for me to tuck his bunny rabbit under the blankets. cant you do that man!!!!!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

loquacius posted:

just wanted to share this story somewhere

tonight, my wife and I had a very difficult conversation about my ADHD management processes, brought on by my super-stressed reaction to a bad performance review. This took up the first hour and a half after our daughter's bedtime. Once it was done, I came downstairs to finally get a minute of decompression time from my stressful day, only to find that the hissing noise I heard wasn't my work laptop in overdrive, it was a pipe in our downstairs bathroom sink, which had burst at some point in the previous 90 minutes, spraying water all over the bottom floor of our house.

LITERALLY SIMULTANEOUSLY with this discovery, my wife heard on the monitor that our kid was awake because she'd thrown up all over her pajamas, sleep sack, and sheets.

gently caress this day.

gently caress poo poo crap. Having kids means that you never get to really recharge, just constantly hovering on 10% and battery saving mode.

Actually that goes for both you as a person and your phone.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BonHair posted:

gently caress poo poo crap. Having kids means that you never get to really recharge, just constantly hovering on 10% and battery saving mode.

Actually that goes for both you as a person and your phone.

I almost find the disaster days to be a reprieve, because I have to focus on the problem at hand and ignore all the other crap going on, creating a rare sort of clarity.. Although I think vomit plus plumbing leak is more than I've had to deal with at one time.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

we tried splitting up at first. this was the first I had to use our wet-dry vac since we moved, and I very quickly found the main body of the vacuum, but not the tube, which was nowhere to be found. I just said "gently caress this" and went to help clean puke.

Like twenty minutes later I was on my way out to the car to go borrow a wet-dry vac from one of my wife's friends' husband, and noticed at the last second that the tube was in the garage for some reason. Great decision-making during the move! Anyway, we couldn't even start cleaning up water until then lol

It's not actually a pipe that burst, it was a "braided connector" and I can save hundreds of dollars by fixing it myself so in conclusion the sink still doesn't work. I'll get around to it at some point.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

loquacius posted:

I'll get around to it at some point.

Ah, the clarion call of the parent

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

PerniciousKnid posted:

I almost find the disaster days to be a reprieve, because I have to focus on the problem at hand and ignore all the other crap going on, creating a rare sort of clarity.. Although I think vomit plus plumbing leak is more than I've had to deal with at one time.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
My dad is in the hospital and so a lot is going on but I think instinctively i am trying to spend nice time with my son a lot more and realizing that I don't make the time to do it often enough. I know people have these epiphanies but it was just so striking and immediate it caught me off guard. Idk go for a walk to the store and buy your kid a candy bar if you can. Don't wait for tragedy to strike

AxGrap has issued a correction as of 03:26 on Feb 9, 2023

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

my horrible body mechanics in all aspect of my life are coming home to roost. popped some kind of back muscle for like the 3rd time in two months, and it’s very swollen and painful. every diagram I see of how not to lift a toddler is exactly how I lift my kid 45 times a day. repetitive stress injuries are poo poo

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

meanolmrcloud posted:

my horrible body mechanics in all aspect of my life are coming home to roost. popped some kind of back muscle for like the 3rd time in two months, and it’s very swollen and painful. every diagram I see of how not to lift a toddler is exactly how I lift my kid 45 times a day. repetitive stress injuries are poo poo

I hosed up my shoulder for a little while changing diapers on a toddler

Pulled a chest muscle carrying one of mine as a baby at a birthday party without a place to sit . Confused pain w heart attack symptoms which led to a panic attack which also mimes heart attack symptoms so got to experience that "hey honey, going to ER. In case I die love you. Byeeee" call.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like it when I turn my head too fast and then I'm like "welp I'm hosed for a few days"

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I like it when I turn my head too fast and then I'm like "welp I'm hosed for a few days"

that’s why I can’t use 2 monitors at work.

after my back surgery I couldn’t carry my infant for 3 months. really sucked.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have put our children on the wait-list for childcare at the spot down the street from our home. They will call me back in June.

Libwife is hunting for a Mother's Helper for current maternity time and we hope they can transition into full nanny care. I have disengaged from the process because libwife and mom-in-law are adamant that a nanny with 12 years experience should only cost $13/hr.

I keep explaining to them that running a payroll is expensive and our adult income absolutely cannot cover a full time employee. Mom-in-law's income can, but its just so unfair to ask her.... I guess whatever. Anyways those two are gonna have to do what their ancestors did and steal a person from another continent if they want someone that cheap.

Lmfao her college friend had a few au-pairs, they kept leaving because she kept "not paying them" oh lmao our ruling class today is so loving dumb and gutless.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my brother and his wife went the au paire route for their first kid which resulted in them hiring a nanny to help with the second one.

i can't say what I'd do if I had the money to do that kind of poo poo but I gotta say that after seeing the results I'm glad I'm too broke for that "solution".

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

real "it's one banana, what could it cost" energy except instead of a banana it's the labor of a person

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My sister in law does private nanny stuff for families with way way too much money. Guess how many of them are completely dysfunctional and use her so the husband and wife can continue their daytime substance abuse and neglect.

#winemom
#cokedad
#lolihatemyownchildren

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

meanolmrcloud posted:

my wife needs a cortisone shot in her wrist from the parent wrist she's developed. I started getting it recently so i found some exercises to do and learned not to lift with my thumb sticking out and that's basically allowed my wrist to recover.

baby ergonomics, who knew

brugroffil posted:

My sister in law does private nanny stuff for families with way way too much money. Guess how many of them are completely dysfunctional and use her so the husband and wife can continue their daytime substance abuse and neglect.

#winemom
#cokedad
#lolihatemyownchildren

thinking back to the post itt right around nov/dec 2021 where someone found some parents who wanted to hire someone to look after their newborn while they went on a ski trip together

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Feb 11, 2023

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

That's what grandparents are for!!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my sister in law was shocked that she couldn't find a 24-hour nanny.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i used to know someone through work who had an au pair that she sent back to switzerland for the crime of having a boyfriend during her off time... bad program

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

i used to know someone through work who had an au pair that she sent back to switzerland for the crime of having a boyfriend during her off time... bad program

v strong "runs a boardinghouse in the 1960s" energy

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Au Pair system is baby's first human trafficking.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

today I found myself telling my son that if he can beat me in a foot race I'll give him $50.

then I doubled down and said I'll let him challenge me once a year and each year he doesn't beat me, the prize doubles.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Better stay fit and have that sack of cash ready for when the man you created defeats you.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

today I found myself telling my son that if he can beat me in a foot race I'll give him $50.

then I doubled down and said I'll let him challenge me once a year and each year he doesn't beat me, the prize doubles.

I'm gonna steal this but with squats

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

Better stay fit and have that sack of cash ready for when the man you created defeats you.

it's kind of the perfect storm where I think I'm gonna destroy my knees when he's 16 and hand him like $6400 in cash.

it has certainly refined the calculus by which I live my life.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's kind of the perfect storm where I think I'm gonna destroy my knees when he's 16 and hand him like $6400 in cash.

it has certainly refined the calculus by which I live my life.

Seems like he'd sandbag for a few decades and collect a cool million when you're getting close to death.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

Seems like he'd sandbag for a few decades and collect a cool million when you're getting close to death.

the entire thing is a long form lesson in game theory

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my dad used to tell me (not seriously) that on my 18th birthday he would take me out into the back yard and fight me. parent child contests ftw.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

The Au Pair system is baby's first human trafficking.

I had a job teaching Danish once which included au pairs. There was definitely a lot of variance in how they got treated, and at the good end, it actually felt like the cultural exchange part kinda worked and the cheap foreign labour was less pronounced. But the other end was definitely living in a cupboard and working every waking hour except stuff like classes that was mandatory and monitored.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my wife burst a blood vessel in her eye and it has upset my youngest so much that he's been screaming at the wall under the kitchen table for 30 minutes straight.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my wife burst a blood vessel in her eye and it has upset my youngest so much that he's been screaming at the wall under the kitchen table for 30 minutes straight.

understandable that poo poo scary lookin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Just saw the doctor earlier today. Wife told him our baby is moving less than expected. Doctor did an ultrasound and told us to go do a study.

So now I'm waiting while my wife is at the lab. Depending on the result our kid could wait some more days or do a cesarean procedure as early as tomorrow.

Crossing fingers that everything will be okay.