Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why put the work into a mod where you play as a character who's already been announced as free dlc? should've made playable blaze or vector instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
because 1) the model exists in the game already so that makes things easier and 2) nobody knows if the dlc is going to be just a couple levels or if you can use those characters in the open world or what

presumably

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m guessing the DLC is going to be short levels/bosses tailored to each character’s respective moveset (though whether they happen before, after, or during the main game remain to be seen).

Speaking of, I’m curious when they’re finally going to start giving us some information about said DLC

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There's a part of the story where it makes sense to play as them, but like the last boss on anything other than Hard, it's done offscreen through a cutscene

Hopefully there's more to it than that though, and open world play with them wouldn't be too out there, given you're on an island, and Knuckles can only glide, and Tails gets tired, so it's not like you'd make it any further away or up into the air than Sonic can

Amy's probably the least changed, although I doubt she'll have the air wave attack that Sonic does, so she gets to run in and use her hammer (or maybe they'll remember her Boxercizing from Sonic Battle and use that too)

Heck, give everyone their Battle movesets - let Amy make tornadoes, let Knuckles call down meteors, let Tails unleash homing bombs

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
137 issues into Archie.

Penders and Gabrie have seemed to split the comic between the two of them. Gabrie is writing this weird premise where he's seeming to supplant the roles of old characters with new ones (Tommy Turtle as Sonic's best friend, ADAM from Metroid Fusion as Robotnik's lackey, this Anonymous character as the resident roboticizer) despite multiple fan letters telling the creative team to stop doing that, and is derailing Sally's character by having her and Sonic break up for a total non-reason. Meanwhile, Penders makes a future story about domestic life that seems mostly an excuse to give his artists attractive furry women to draw, and all dialogue is completely forgettable because not only is it about mundanities, but most of the characters are impossible to distinguish from each other (Sonic has a kid that looks exactly like him, and the only way to distinguish them is because Sonic now wears a crown). And apparently this is going to keep happening for another 22 issues?!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Apparently Nintendo announced some game today. Looks like a complete ripoff of Frontiers if you ask me. :/

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Sonic Frontears of the Ringdom.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
So for some reason I've been thinking of the Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games series, and how bizarre these games are to me in a way I haven't seen other people comment on? I think the thing that causes them to feel like such a fever dream to me is that the actual Olympic events everyone's competing in are just completely mundane and true to the real life Olympics they are. Both the Mario and Sonic series have long histories of games where their cast of colorful characters play sports, but those never felt as weird to me because those games introduce more fantastical elements appropriate to the main series into the mundane sporting events: You can do powerful charged shots in Mario Tennis, you collect coins in Mario Golf, you're riding on hoverboards in Sonic Riders. But then you have the Mario and Sonic series, where these two major video game franchises finally cross over after decades of rivalry in order to...compete in completely normal Olympic events?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

KingKalamari posted:

So for some reason I've been thinking of the Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games series, and how bizarre these games are to me in a way I haven't seen other people comment on? I think the thing that causes them to feel like such a fever dream to me is that the actual Olympic events everyone's competing in are just completely mundane and true to the real life Olympics they are. Both the Mario and Sonic series have long histories of games where their cast of colorful characters play sports, but those never felt as weird to me because those games introduce more fantastical elements appropriate to the main series into the mundane sporting events: You can do powerful charged shots in Mario Tennis, you collect coins in Mario Golf, you're riding on hoverboards in Sonic Riders. But then you have the Mario and Sonic series, where these two major video game franchises finally cross over after decades of rivalry in order to...compete in completely normal Olympic events?

I think the first one was for the 2008 Beijing Olympics, and that basically sold on those being the most hyped Olympics ever. The rest is just typical franchise inertia

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
tokyo is pretty solid, the retro style events are cool and the story mode is really cute

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

KingKalamari posted:

they're canon

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Sticks in canon and those and I think some of the mobile games are the only non-Boom things she's been in, so clearly they must be canon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, which Olympics game was she in again?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The Tokyo 2020 Olympics is not canon.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MorningMoon posted:

The Tokyo 2020 Olympics is not canon.

I hate that this has just made me realize this is the first non-fighting game Dream Match title

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

secretly best girl posted:

I hate that this has just made me realize this is the first non-fighting game Dream Match title

lol

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It hasn't been formally announced yet but apparently Sonic Origins is getting some new content:

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/02/sonic-origins-plus-rated-in-korea

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I hope it's substantial if real. Honestly, a more polished Sonic 3 port and a playable Amy in the games and Knuckles in CD would probably make it worth it. I can but dream.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s possible they might tack on a few other games as well (most likely emulated with few if any changes)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They've emulated the 8 bit games previously and no-one would expect any remastering of those, so they seem like a given.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
153 issues into Archie. So about 4 issues into The Pendering.

Is this what Tenchi Muyo is like? I've never seen that anime. But I don't think I'd like it if it's the entire female cast fixating on one guy to the detriment of both their own characters and the scores of other male characters who could use screentime and interaction with the girls to the point where I'm sympathizing with the one-dimensional jealous rebound. This wasn't even Penders or Gabrie writing this latest story, it was Bollers under his real name.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Delphisage posted:

Is this what Tenchi Muyo is like? I've never seen that anime. But I don't think I'd like it if it's the entire female cast fixating on one guy to the detriment of both their own characters and the scores of other male characters who could use screentime and interaction with the girls to the point where I'm sympathizing with the one-dimensional jealous rebound. This wasn't even Penders or Gabrie writing this latest story, it was Bollers under his real name.

That’s what most “harem anime” as the genre is called is like from what I’ve heard (I’ve never actually watched one myself)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Delphisage posted:

That whole mess was due to an edict from Gabrie I believe. It’s not great.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Pigbuster posted:

That whole mess was due to an edict from Gabrie I believe. It’s not great.

There's a lot of parts that feel shadow-written by Gabrie, yeah. The next issue had Tommy Turtle getting nanobot wings in a Penders story where Gabrie's name is nowhere in the credits. He's not even listed as editor anymore, that's Mike Pellegrino.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, at what point does Ian Flynn officially take over the Archie comic?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Larryb posted:

I forget, at what point does Ian Flynn officially take over the Archie comic?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

Ian Flynn (born May 31, 1982), also known by his Internet pen name Ian Potto, is an American comic book writer. He was chief writer for Archie Comics's Sonic the Hedgehog since issue #160, after the departure of the previous chief writer Ken Penders, till Archie's cancelation on the run at issue #290.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It slays me that we have Shadow The Hedgehog, the most Edge Nonsense videogame, to thank for Penders loving off.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

It slays me that we have Shadow The Hedgehog, the most Edge Nonsense videogame, to thank for Penders loving off.

Wait, is that seriously why he quit/got replaced? That’s hilarious

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
He got prissy with Sega when they weren't as forthcoming with info about the game as he would have liked.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Shadow saves the day again

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

All Hail Shadow

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Larryb posted:

It hasn't been formally announced yet but apparently Sonic Origins is getting some new content:

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/02/sonic-origins-plus-rated-in-korea

Fix the godawful S3 music and make it so widescreen isn't exclusive to anniversary mode and you've got a good start.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Add Knuckles Chaotix

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Delete Tails

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Dehry posted:

Delete Tails

someone ban this bozo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

Add Knuckles Chaotix

SegaSonic might be nice as well if they can figure out how to emulate the trackball controls

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Larryb posted:

SegaSonic might be nice as well if they can figure out how to emulate the trackball controls

This is a pretty creative solution for it:

https://twitter.com/DrTomTilley/status/1613846131175469057

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ConanThe3rd posted:

He got prissy with Sega when they weren't as forthcoming with info about the game as he would have liked.

Bad talent getting cut for behaving reasonably and demanding necessary information from their commissioner.

You could see it coming, since he was so at a loss to what Shadow's deal was that he called him both a bio-organism and something that was neither organic or metal in the same issue. Although that latter part was maybe just him quote-mining Fantastic Four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

man nurse posted:

Add Knuckles Chaotix

They better do this. But also keep all the mislabeled music tracks. And by that, I mean switch them around in the game to make it look like they were right in the museum all along. It's the True Sonic Origins way.