Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

mycelia posted:

TIL we've got two fuckoff huge fences, not just the one. (There's a movie about the other one.)

I thought it was going to be the rabbit proof fence at first too so you're not alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

This was fascinating. I have a single-error genetic disorder and got my DNA sequenced last year by the eye hospital I attend. Found out that my issue is recessive so unlikely to be inherited so that's nice to know! And I wouldn't have found that out if not for their research.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/mnitabach/status/1624556612068450304

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

How America Took Out The Nord Stream Pipeline. This by Seymour Hersh - the dude who broke My Lai - is pretty big news that the papers of record really seem to want to gloss over fast.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Inceltown posted:

How America Took Out The Nord Stream Pipeline. This by Seymour Hersh - the dude who broke My Lai - is pretty big news that the papers of record really seem to want to gloss over fast.

That's because the general consensus is that it's unsourced nonsense.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Inceltown posted:

This specific substack post has caused a multi day derail in Scandipol for how utterly poo poo it is. Just because someone is right once doesn’t mean they’re always correct

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

From memory none of the ships mentioned were even in the area at the time

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Inceltown posted:

Because it's fantasy concocted by a dude who torched all of his journalistic credibility decades ago. There's a reason no reputable outlet would publish an article with a single anonymous source that also claims Jens Stoltenberg worked with American intelligence during the Vietnam War (which ended when he was loving sixteen years old) and it's on shitstack.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Because it's fantasy concocted by a dude who torched all of his journalistic credibility decades ago. There's a reason no reputable outlet would publish an article with a single anonymous source that also claims Jens Stoltenberg worked with American intelligence during the Vietnam War (which ended when he was loving sixteen years old) and it's on shitstack.
Not to mention that the few facts that the story includes, which would normally have been checked by an editor had Seymour Hersh not published on a site without editorial oversight, fail even the most basic OSINT research.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TheNVIndy/status/1629904129043881985

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

How Shock Sites Shaped The Internet, including discussion of our familiar friend with the gold ring.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Interesting story, but one thing in the story immediately pulled me out of it to an old Simpsons joke.

Sideshow Bob: "You spent four years at clown college."
Sideshow Cecil: "I'll thank you not to refer to Dartmouth in that manner."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A nice place to retire, FOR A CLOWN.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

How Shock Sites Shaped The Internet, including discussion of our familiar friend with the gold ring.
Lovers Theme by Herve Roy is probably one of the best songs that has the one of the worst associations in the world.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This was an awesome read.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/ai-artificial-intelligence-chatbots-emily-m-bender.html

An article about how "AI" is completely bogus and ChatGPT is nothing at all like a person.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Woolie Wool posted:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/ai-artificial-intelligence-chatbots-emily-m-bender.html

An article about how "AI" is completely bogus and ChatGPT is nothing at all like a person.

This is providing me more clearly defined ideas to my vague icky feelings when people talk about chatbots as "AI" and so on. It's a good article

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ChatGPT Is a Blurry JPEG of the Web

I've been passing that around as a guide to how to think about large language models. It's reasonably technically accurate and the ideas match up with how I view the systems knowing a lot more of the details.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The mysterious Mr Larsen: MI5 spy, terrorist or Walter Mitty fantasist?

This story is of particular interest to myself since I am a member of the Danish lodge mentioned toward the end. While this stuff went down just before I joined, it was all people talked about for years. Unfortunately, this particular aspect of the story has only been covered by the Danish press, but I am adding a link to a Danish newspaper article for people who either read the language or can be bothered to read Google translated text.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

‘No! You stay!’ Cops, firefighters bewildered as driverless cars behave badly

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Just found out about Bored Reading today. I don’t think it’s all necessarily long-form stuff but still looks like a place to find some hidden gems.

Also was introduced to Play Text which lets you save websites and then convert the text to speech anywhere from 1x to 4x speed during playback; it also allows you to read the text along with the audio too.

C2C - 2.0 has a new favorite as of 11:53 on May 2, 2023

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2023/5/2/23705821/jeopardy-lost-tapes-barbara-lowe-mystery-champion

quote:

For decades, whispers have circulated among game show aficionados about a mysterious Jeopardy! contestant from 1986. She went by Barbara Lowe and won five games in a row, which at the time—in just the second season of the reboot hosted by Alex Trebek—was the upper limit for returning champions. Later that year, when the show aired its Tournament of Champions contest with the best recent players, for which five-day champs automatically qualified, Lowe was nowhere to be found. Then, bizarrely, her episodes seemed to be wiped from the face of the earth.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I linked that earlier in the Jeopardy thread.

From the story Lowe Volllick tells, it seems her biggest sin might have been what's thrust on young athletes now - that she was too animated. Instead of the staid, boring Jeopardy contestant that was the case for most of its history, Lowe Vollick emoted and Trebek and the producers hated it.

I do wonder if there was something else that made their reaction over the top. I can easily see Eisenberg/Trebek being mad then that she was questioning AND successful, held on to her money and didn't let her compete at Tournament of Champions. Surely she couldn't have been the only tenacious contestant or the only one who had the runs, even in Season 2. Did they perhaps think or believe they had reason to believe she was cheating somehow?

(I do know Eisenberg claimed she was using multiple SSN numbers, but no evidence has popped up to support that or that she did exceed the number of game show appearances or tried to weasel her way on Jeopardy under a fraudulent name.)

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 02:45 on May 3, 2023

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

RC and Moon Pie posted:

(I do know Eisenberg claimed she was using multiple SSN numbers, but no evidence has popped up to support that or that she did exceed the number of game show appearances or tried to weasel her way on Jeopardy under a fraudulent name.)

Yeah, like I doubt she would admit that she was using bogus SSNs even if it was true, but virtually all of the other allegations made by Jeopardy folks seem to have been either untrue or greatly exaggerated, so it seems reasonable to believe that's false as well.

It's bizarre that they memory-holed her and seemingly held a grudge against her (badmouthing her in media interviews and books literally years later) when her "sins" seem pretty minor?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They need to start carrying chalk.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/17/laying-a-trap-for-self-driving-cars/

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

SimonChris posted:

The mysterious Mr Larsen: MI5 spy, terrorist or Walter Mitty fantasist?

This story is of particular interest to myself since I am a member of the Danish lodge mentioned toward the end. While this stuff went down just before I joined, it was all people talked about for years. Unfortunately, this particular aspect of the story has only been covered by the Danish press, but I am adding a link to a Danish newspaper article for people who either read the language or can be bothered to read Google translated text.

This was a good read, thanks!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mzuri posted:

This was a good read, thanks!

You're welcome :).

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1987/nov/18/mr-frank-larsen

Googling the name of the main character also leads to this amusing transcript of a parliamentary debate, in which Tories stress the importance of immediately deporting the dude and certainly not investigating his claims in any way.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
https://www.chicagomag.com/chicago-magazine/may-2023/the-last-gamble-of-tokyo-joe/

quote:

By 1983, Ken Eto had ascended the ranks of the Chicago underworld to be a top mafia gambling kingpin. He was the only Japanese-American in the Outfit. And his story only begins when the mob shoots him three times in the head.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

pro click, this is a great read

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I’m pretty sure I read it somewhere on SA, maybe here, so I’m hoping someone has an idea/remembers this longform article if I describe it?

It was something like:

- It was about an adult male wolf and his family.
- The wolf was intelligent and caring to his family.
- At one point he fought with an interloper but surprisingly let him live. The interloper at the end took over the pack once the father wolf died.
- The father wolf died on a hill peacefully?

Some of the details might be wrong but that’s my recall. Ring a bell?

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

coolusername posted:

I’m pretty sure I read it somewhere on SA, maybe here, so I’m hoping someone has an idea/remembers this longform article if I describe it?

It was something like:

- It was about an adult male wolf and his family.
- The wolf was intelligent and caring to his family.
- At one point he fought with an interloper but surprisingly let him live. The interloper at the end took over the pack once the father wolf died.
- The father wolf died on a hill peacefully?

Some of the details might be wrong but that’s my recall. Ring a bell?

I don't know the exact article but it sounds like it could be about Yellowstone's 'Wolf 21' if that helps!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Sock Weasel posted:

I don't know the exact article but it sounds like it could be about Yellowstone's 'Wolf 21' if that helps!

Yes, thank you!! I was misremembering a book review as an article, this is what I was looking for :3:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Listening to the Procol Harum's Live with the Edmonton Syphony Orchestra, I was reminded that I had heard somewhere that the band was named for a cat. I stumbled upon someone's search for the cat.

The Mysterious Case of the Vanishing Cat: in Search of the Real Procol Harum

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

This is a longshot but there’s an article I have been trying to find for a few months now. I’m not sure if it was even very good but it had some interesting ideas. I think it was on Defector but looking there has failed me, I think one of their writers may have linked it in a tweet or something?

It was about American car culture and the delineation of a controlled interior vs. a hostile and lawless exterior. Talked about social atomization and the acceleration towards isolation as represented in our increasingly huge cars.

Google keeps insisting that “exterior” means “architecture” and just giving me stuff about hostile architecture.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Using some of your keywords, Google gave me:

The Car Culture That’s Helping Destroy the Planet Was By No Means Inevitable

The Absurd Primacy of the Automobile in American Life

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A catatonic woman awakened after 20 years. Her story may change psychiatry.

Lupus has been connected to at least two patients with severe mental illness. By focusing on that, both have made a ton of progress. Of course, after 20 years, it's going to remain to be seen what happens with the title story.

WaPo, but I think this is one they're making free to everyone.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
This is a white-knuckle read: https://www.propublica.org/article/penis-enlargement-enhancement-procedures-implants

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

This is very unsettling.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Every line of the story seems more and more fantasy. ProPublic'a's writers took great care to find the best phrasing and quotes.

quote:

Not everyone minded. Kaelan Strouse, a 35-year-­old life coach, was thrilled by both the “restaurant-­size pepper mill” between his legs and the kilts he began wearing to accommodate it. Richard Hague Jr., a 74-year-old pastor at a Baptist church in Niagara Falls, said his implant made him feel like “a wild stallion.”

For example.

quote:

Ed Zimmerman, who trained as a family practitioner, is now known for his proprietary HapPenis injections; he saw a 69% jump in enhancement clients after rebranding himself in 2021 as TikTok’s “Dick Doc.”

And this was nice.

e: Somehow, this was the most bonkers line of them all to me.

quote:

He won a free Penuma in a contest in 2013, as part of a marketing campaign involving the rapper Master P.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 03:15 on Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I don’t know how you can pull quotes from that and not include this:

quote:

He has also been named as a defendant in product liability lawsuits regarding inflatable penile prosthesis brought by plaintiffs Dick Glass and Semen Brodsky.