Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DACK FAYDEN posted:

also I think we're officially past where the BYOB thread stopped posting Opplopolis some years ago so it's all new territory from here on out
This scene seems familiar but the last time I read it I definitely didn't pick up that she was hitting on the "what's a dvd" guy

Splicer has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Feb 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Even this weird gig economy nightmare future has better public health care than the US.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Synthbuttrange posted:

This comic makes very interesting choices on what to actually show.

a doctor discusses antibiotic use following a workplace injury: 21 panels
A starship areobrakes through the atmosphere of a doomed planet, drawing a perfect arc of flame across the sky before descending amidst towering clouds of billowing dust raised by the grav-drive; a swan-like concatenation of impossibly exotic metals settling amid the primeval chaos of the jungle planet: 0 panels

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tree Bucket posted:

a doctor discusses antibiotic use following a workplace injury: 21 panels
A starship areobrakes through the atmosphere of a doomed planet, drawing a perfect arc of flame across the sky before descending amidst towering clouds of billowing dust raised by the grav-drive; a swan-like concatenation of impossibly exotic metals settling amid the primeval chaos of the jungle planet: 0 panels
Honestly it's why I'm enjoying it. It's not about spaceship crashes, it's about two very close people choosing between bad options while constantly giving each other poo poo in the way only two very close people can.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Splicer posted:

Honestly it's why I'm enjoying it. It's not about spaceship crashes, it's about two very close people choosing between bad options while constantly giving each other poo poo in the way only two very close people can.

Oh, for sure. The relationship stuff is well done. The world's full of Griffens whose intelligence and dignity are surplus to the requirements of the economy.
I guess you're right, the artist definitely knows what they want to achieve and how to achieve it. It's just that I find the "Gig Economy In Space" setting unpleasantly claustrophobic. Like choking to death on airport departure lounge carpet. Which is probably the entire point??

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I'm not suuuuper into Dicebox, but I do think it's neat and I can respect the deliberate choice to skip over what would be high energy action scenes in any other comic

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: Fires of Truth

quote:

“And then was given to him a mighty wheel, all heavy of iron, and rimmed with brass, and inside the wheel was a thing called Truth. And it was said to him ‘Hear, if ye wish to lift the burning wheel, ye must first be broken upon it’. He agreed, for he knew his holy duty, and he was taken before the priests, anointed, and ordained, and broken for seven times seven days. Such screaming has ne’er been heard since that time.

But at the end of that time, they took him off, and they cast his limbs in steaming metal, and even though he never healed, he could lift that wheel, though no man could have hoped to. And inside the wheel was the awful thing called Truth, and he broke a thousand times a thousand sinners on its rim.”

– Song of Maybe

Full Size
Alt: Community challenge - come up with elaborate backstories for all the characters in this image

quote:

The flickering light of Glory

Alt: "Hastet Om. A man who picks his wives as though selecting beautiful flowers from a field. And he rips their petals off just as fast." - Au Vam

quote:

Golden Chains

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Sormus has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Feb 8, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

Chapter 1
Update 12:
Top of his Class

-=Author Notes=-
We learn more about Clown College! I'm probably going to back to weekly updates soon, but I'm trying out a few styles. As always let me know what you think!
Chapter 1
Update 13:
The Great Escape

-=Author's Notes=-

Sometimes a stylistic refresh is really what the heart needs to improve itself.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Jun 28, 2023

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Protecting your real self with a layer of jokes is probably more common that it should have to be.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

HE IS A GOOD BOY.
TW more goddamn blood and guts

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Autumn

I've always thought these two were clever. Neatly subverts the classic sci-fi plot.

Extremely Wealthy

It's a hard job, but someone's got to do it(?)

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Swan Boy, mini dream arc.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kit Walker posted:

Alt: "Hastet Om. A man who picks his wives as though selecting beautiful flowers from a field. And he rips their petals off just as fast." - Au Vam

Shine on you crazy diamond

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

ANSU

Fingerpori

Vain Elämää = Just Living/Only Living/Only Life/Just Part of Life, you get the idea
Vain Elämää is a modern Finnish effectively-but-not-literally-reality show where various famous musicians gather together to perform covers of each others' songs. As far as I know it's very popular (or at least used to be), but has the usual reality TV trappings of all participants being expected to show really strong emotions on screen, crying when someone sings a touching cover of their song and so on. Some genuinely well-liked covers have come to be due to the show, though.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

the cyclist one is funny, is there a joke to the strongman one other than wow look how big the weights?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

the cyclist one is funny, is there a joke to the strongman one other than wow look how big the weights?

I think the joke is that it looks like he’s holding the weights up over his head, but then on further inspection they’re just resting on the ground and he’s not doing anything.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Hell yes a Beaton reference. I love thread synchronicity.

Oh hey, I've owned this Sonic Youth shirt since I was a teenager. And yes my life is perfect.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

MokBa posted:

Been looking forward to posting that one 'cause I knew the thread would appreciate it

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

I think the joke is that it looks like he’s holding the weights up over his head, but then on further inspection they’re just resting on the ground and he’s not doing anything.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yes i guess we'll have to go with that

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

hate that son of a bitch, hope chako eats him

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mr. Laundry certainly got hung out to dry.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

hate that son of a bitch, hope chako garlic and onions him

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Youremother posted:

Been looking forward to posting that one 'cause I knew the thread would appreciate it

It's great cos even if you don't recognise the Beaton bit, it works great as Crange being weird and a bit gross.

Also
The Guy She Was Interested In Was Hosting An Orgone Entity

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MokBa posted:

"as balls" is a pretty common expression. I don't know if that's meant to be a reference.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ultrafilter posted:

"as balls" is a pretty common expression. I don't know if that's meant to be a reference.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Everyone has hands and can squint their eyes, I don't know what that's supposed to prove

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

why would you go and make such an absolute fool of yourself like this

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tree Bucket posted:

Also
The Guy She Was Interested In Was Hosting An Orgone Entity

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Narcis Monturiol i Estarriol, he of great ideas and great sideburns. I love this guy! He might not have been the first person to think up a submarine, but he was the first to put a lot of things together to make it work. The working man’s inventor! Alas, the idea did not take off in his lifetime.

And I mean, come on, how cute is the Ictineo I? So cute.

come with me
under the sea
drive my fat baby around

Before you read this comic I want you to know that my favorite part of the tv show Sleepy Hollow is when Ichabod Crane has no idea what a tv or an iphone or a light switch is, and is confused. As hard hitting films such as Bill and Ted or perhaps Encino Manhave taught us, historical figures out of place do not know who the Burger King really is. But do any of us really know who the Burger King really is? A question we must all ask.

I’m just kidding about “before you read this,” of course you read the comic first.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Poo!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Blind Alley

Welp.

readingatwork has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Feb 9, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Something finally happens in Blind Alley, and it's THAT?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Some friends and I were out drinking with the British Royal Navy, and one of them did exactly this with a 20 pence piece, minus the "dying" part, he just had to check his stool until he passed Her Majesty's likeness.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

rodbeard posted:

Chapter 36

uh oh

Chapter 37

and now were caught up

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dicebox

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FINALLY someone says it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of loving idiots: Hell was Full.