Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
ATK wasn’t a fan of the creami (halfway through)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3mUjIF3A8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

ATK wasn’t a fan of the creami (halfway through)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3mUjIF3A8

their takes just don't make sense, like freeze your dang ice cream harder. if anything the opposite problem is much more common

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah it stinks of intentional bias. Probably because they have loads of books for other style makers, and a long relationship with other manufacturers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Entirely believable!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Lol the YouTube comments are coming for them

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My Nephews are coming to visit, so I thought I should get some ice cream ready. I like that I can prepare everything ahead and have it ready to go.

Chocolate, Vanilla, Dragonfruit.

All new recipes, adapted from a strawberry gelato recipe I had used before. I had found some other recipes that suggested melting the chocolate or steeping a vanilla bean while cooking the custard, but I only wanted to make one big batch for all 3. I added some cocoa powder to the chocolate one. I wasn't sure how the texture and flavor would be on the dragonfruit, so I added a few chunks of mango thinking it might round it out. I'll put them in the freezer and see how they turn out.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Non-Creami question:

Has anyone here tried booza? A place opened up in Houston that specializes in this stuff and I keep meaning to head over there. It's kind of a pain in the rear end to get to, though, wondering if it's worth the trip.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Report on the batch I was freezing before: The chocolate came out very nice. Good texture on one spin on the gelato setting. Stayed scoopable after returning to the freezer. This was the kids favorite.

The dragon fruit was nice, but it's a mild fruit. Maybe more sweetness would help? You can't beat the color though. This one required a respin.

The vanilla was also good, but it's just a vehicle for toppings. Good texture like the chocolate one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dragon fruit is a lie. So expensive. No flavor.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, it's my nephew's favorite fruit so it was a good experiment.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Your nephew has bad taste. I’m sorry you had to find out this way.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Guy Axlerod posted:

Report on the batch I was freezing before: The chocolate came out very nice. Good texture on one spin on the gelato setting. Stayed scoopable after returning to the freezer. This was the kids favorite.

The dragon fruit was nice, but it's a mild fruit. Maybe more sweetness would help? You can't beat the color though. This one required a respin.

The vanilla was also good, but it's just a vehicle for toppings. Good texture like the chocolate one.

Pro level ice cream topping for vanilla: Pomegranate molasses

Edit: Use sparingly, it doesn't need much!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Shooting Blanks posted:

Pro level ice cream topping for vanilla: Pomegranate molasses

Edit: Use sparingly, it doesn't need much!

:stare: I've used pomegranate molasses for a long time in my cooking but I swear I've never thought of this idea before. Sounds like something to definitely try out!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

BrianBoitano posted:

• $60: 1.5 pint thermoelectric seems to have the pros of the "Compressor models" below but with a smaller capacity and device footprint to boot. I believe it uses a peltier cooler which should be more reliable long-term than a compressor, as long as the hot side gets adequate cooling (don't block the vents!). Also available for $50 "renewed" though sometimes this is missing key parts, caveat emptor!. Thanks for the contribution Anne Whateley!

So I bought this renewed from Amazon and it was missing the paddle. Sent it back in exchange and it's replacement... was missing the paddle. Neither the seller nor Amazon was any use. Just a note in case anyone else decides to try this out.

E: not only did I already post that, the OP was updated based on what I said :cripes:

Never not post when you're severely sleep deprived :justpost:

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 27, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Is there some secret trick/recipe for getting really smooth lemon sorbets? I don't have a Creami. I can get a good taste but am willing to try any recipes other goons have had success with to get a really creamy texture.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Add a little gelatin or agar-agar when you make the base.
Start with a little and adjust until it's at the texture you want.

The fancy way to do it is have a brix refractometer and calculate the amount of sugar you need to achieve the texture you want.

More detailed explanation than I can give here:

https://www.icecreamnation.org/2011/07/how-to-make-sorbets/

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
What's a good sugar free ice cream brand? I was recently diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, so I need some options.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Non-Creami question:

Has anyone here tried booza? A place opened up in Houston that specializes in this stuff and I keep meaning to head over there. It's kind of a pain in the rear end to get to, though, wondering if it's worth the trip.

It's fun as a novelty. It's definitely unique and worth visiting but I don't think I'd go again much like thai style ice cream rolls or bingsu

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I did my first experiment with making frozen custard in the creami. End result was way too rich (mostly too much fat, but a little bit too much egg) but it gives me a starting point. I used the traditional 4:1:1 ratio of milk(cream in this case) to egg(yolks for this) to sugar.

I used 12 ounces of heavy cream, 3 ounces of egg yolks and 3 ounces of sugar. Plus a teaspoon of vanilla and a pinch of salt. Made the normal way: scald cream and half the sugar, tempter into yolks beaten with other half of the sugar, then cook and stir to a nappe consistency. Which gave me almost exactly 16 ounces of anglaise.

The creamified result was really interesting. For one, it was insanely smooth. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a frozen treat with a texture this smooth. It was also very rich, probably too rich. I think it would be good as part of a bigger dessert, but as a stand-alone treat it may be too much. The egg content may be too high, and the fat content almost definitely is. But I’m not going to say I didn’t enjoy it. But I would recommend it in small amounts. It seems indulgent.

I'm going to do half cream and half milk next and cut the eggs down to maybe 2 ounces. Sweetness seemed fine. I will say my creami made a hell of a noise with this, I think it may have frozen harder than most mixes. Hopefully that doesn't shorten the life of it too much.

I am going to give this recipe a shot with some duck eggs we got at the farmers market this morning, our first of the season. RIP to Flash, guess I’ll always think of you specifically when I make custard since this recipe is so consistently good, with the half milk and half cream change.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I am just getting into the Creami life since our household is cutting back on the sugar and it looks like my experiments are getting bottlenecked by the fact that we only have a few jars. We have the 501, does anyone know where I can find new ones?

Edit: Contacted Ninja, they’ll have the Deluxe containers back in stock at the end of June.

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 23, 2023

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Lawnie posted:

I am going to give this recipe a shot with some duck eggs we got at the farmers market this morning, our first of the season. RIP to Flash, guess I’ll always think of you specifically when I make custard since this recipe is so consistently good, with the half milk and half cream change.

It was a good change. Just made it myself, went great.

BrianBoitano posted:

Ice cream!

Scald

Whisk

Temper and heat

Freeze and spin

Enjoy!

FGR figured out the ratio of milk to cream that works great in the Creami. Thanks for that, king. Rest easy.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just came across this thread and I don’t understand what the Creami does. As someone who fantasized over owning a pacojet after pawing through the MC books I was intrigued but I watched that ATK video and guess had it all wrong. So I make a base then freeze it then run it through and… refreeze?

I have a compressor churner that’s fussy from Whynter… what would the Creami get me?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

ATK were either incompetent or intentionally tanked that review. Everyone in the equipment thread agreed after that review came out, as did the comment section of the YouTube video. It's shady as gently caress.

It's really an amazing machine, either at the same tier as a compressor unit or better depending on your preferences. Compressors are the champs of no-plan-ahead ice cream. Creami are the kings of prep ahead and "churn" in 2 minutes, so for parties it's faster. It also forces great results out of a wider swath of recipes, and lets you fix the texture of leftover ice cream by re-spinning.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Hed posted:

Just came across this thread and I don’t understand what the Creami does. As someone who fantasized over owning a pacojet after pawing through the MC books I was intrigued but I watched that ATK video and guess had it all wrong. So I make a base then freeze it then run it through and… refreeze?

I have a compressor churner that’s fussy from Whynter… what would the Creami get me?

The Creami is great. It works by freezing a solid block of base, then essentially just shaving and whipping super fine layers off of the block.

Like a PacoJet, it makes for incredible texture and scoopability. It’s designed to scoop and serve right after it cycles, but you can of course out your ice cream back in the freezer. It will definitely set up to mostly normal straight out of the freezer normal ice cream though.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I make protein ice cream just by making and freezing a protein shake basically. Two scoops of Fruity Pebbles Dymatize ISO-100 plus Almond Breeze Unsweetened almond milk to make a pint, and it's amazing with perfect macros.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Sub Rosa posted:

I make protein ice cream just by making and freezing a protein shake basically. Two scoops of Fruity Pebbles Dymatize ISO-100 plus Almond Breeze Unsweetened almond milk to make a pint, and it's amazing with perfect macros.

Yup, I got this to make weird rear end concoctions but my wife has been making ice cream out of protein shakes with incredible results. The learning curve took us like 3 days to dial it in.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Do yourself a favor and get a jar of Amarena Fabbri cherries in syrup. It goes perfectly with any custardy dessert, but especially ice cream and gelato. Way tastier than maraschino, prettier, and I'm sure just as versatile.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Verisimilidude posted:

Do yourself a favor and get a jar of Amarena Fabbri cherries in syrup. It goes perfectly with any custardy dessert, but especially ice cream and gelato. Way tastier than maraschino, prettier, and I'm sure just as versatile.

These things also make the best homemade cherry coke in the world

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Lawnie posted:

These things also make the best homemade cherry coke in the world

God yes.

Also question from a friend, does anyone have a good Lime Sherbet recipe? Was her grandma's fave thing and they're having a family reunion soon and she thought it would be cool to whip up some in the creami.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Bastard Tetris posted:

I am just getting into the Creami life since our household is cutting back on the sugar and it looks like my experiments are getting bottlenecked by the fact that we only have a few jars. We have the 501, does anyone know where I can find new ones?

Edit: Contacted Ninja, they’ll have the Deluxe containers back in stock at the end of June.

Hopefully they also have the regular ones back

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

I just move things into cheap disposable pint containers after i spin them and put them back into the freezer if I'm bottlenecked.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Made a Sangria sorbet - barely froze and starts melting the instant you serve it. Tastes like cold Sangria though so pretty good still

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Verisimilidude posted:

Do yourself a favor and get a jar of Amarena Fabbri cherries in syrup.

Looks like these are $15/jar vs $2 for maraschino. are they going to be that amazing?

My wife got a Creami but the only thing she makes in it is this light ice cream
12 oz Fairlife Chocolate Milk
1-2 Tbsp PBfit.

She whips that with her milk frother and then freezes it. comes out pretty much tasting like a reeces peanut butter cup.
I really kind of want to make real ice cream or gelato in it but not sure wifey will let me.

Somehow it doesn't wake the kids up when she uses the thing at midnight but last night it started making a (far worse) godawful noise and stopped midway through blending. Has anyone had issues with theirs dying after just a couple of months?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That recipe your wife is using probably doesn't have enough fat or sugar to count as ice cream. This isn't disparaging the recipe, it sounds delicious, but the Creami does different speeds for the blade depending on how firm the initial block of ice is.

If you select sorbet, you'll have a better chance of it spinning properly IMO.

Also I saw how expensive those cherries were and said nah. But then I saw them at Costco and said hell yeah! Near the apple sauce & sliced peaches. Haven't cracked them open yet but (edit) $16 for a 32 oz jar was an easier sell.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 18, 2023

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Make sure to check the sides of the containers and see if they were scratched by the blade. Some early models had repeated issues of that being caused, and all reports said support was fast to replace them when informed.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

BrianBoitano posted:

That recipe your wife is using probably doesn't have enough fat or sugar to count as ice cream. This isn't disparaging the recipe, it sounds delicious, but the Creami does different speeds for the blade depending on how firm the initial block of ice is.

If you select sorbet, you'll have a better chance of it spinning properly IMO.

Also I saw how expensive those cherries were and said nah. But then I saw them at Costco and said hell yeah! Near the apple sauce & sliced peaches. Haven't cracked them open yet but (edit) $16 for a 32 oz jar was an easier sell.

She runs it on light ice cream. The whole point of it is that it’s like 250 calories and 20+ g of protein.

I’m definitely going to hit up Costco.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

What setting do you run this on? I'm getting one of these to basically make protein shakes into ice cream so any tips would be welcome.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Amara posted:

What setting do you run this on? I'm getting one of these to basically make protein shakes into ice cream so any tips would be welcome.

Lite Ice Cream. If it's dusty on top, a respin or two and it's perfect. I've had less optimal results with other brands of almond milk or protein powder, and someone who copied my recipe but only used one scoop of protein powder had issues with it being too much of a block of ice.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Sub Rosa posted:

Lite Ice Cream. If it's dusty on top, a respin or two and it's perfect. I've had less optimal results with other brands of almond milk or protein powder, and someone who copied my recipe but only used one scoop of protein powder had issues with it being too much of a block of ice.

Yup, we are getting the most mileage out of Lite Ice Cream and a few respins to nail the consistency we want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
When is the ninja creami going to be back in stock fuuuuuu