Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm sure everyone has their own opinions, but I made a list of my favorite stand-up specials of 2022, in case people are interested:

https://saboscrivner.com/2022/12/31/the-saboscrivners-top-stand-up-comedy-specials-of-2022/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm sure everyone has their own opinions, but I made a list of my favorite stand-up specials of 2022, in case people are interested:

https://saboscrivner.com/2022/12/31/the-saboscrivners-top-stand-up-comedy-specials-of-2022/

Thanks for the interesting list, haven't heard of a lot here

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Some good choices, happy to see Gondelman on that list. He's delightful.

Eddie Pepitone put up some Florida dates btw, for the end of the month (if you're interested Big Bad Voodoo Lou)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 8, 2023

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Wassup thread. I’m going to NYC at the end of the month (28th-4th) and have no clue what the weekly/smaller bar scene looks like. I also shamefully Like improv. Any advice?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Consummate Professional posted:

Wassup thread. I’m going to NYC at the end of the month (28th-4th) and have no clue what the weekly/smaller bar scene looks like. I also shamefully Like improv. Any advice?

Stop liking improv

edit: this sounds like and is a joke but also serious because COVID-19 pretty much murdered improv comedy shows, which were already suffering from a severe case of “Everyone Has Bad Labor Practices”-itis

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 4, 2023

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Nah, I know. I was in LA last year before the UCB reopened and it was a pretty confusing collection of shows in weird theaters or bars.

But hey if you know of a weekly standup show that usually has good people swing by, let me know!

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Just got home from seeing Mulaney, great show. The dude sitting in front of us smelled like he hadn't showered in weeks though and almost ruined it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Holy crap Jesselnik is touring, got tickets for may. This is for a club show, he’s definitely one of the best kid-sized venue acts I’ve seen.

I was the only person in the audience that totally lost it when he said ‘Hey David where’s Shelly’ apropos of nothing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Remulak posted:

Holy crap Jesselnik is touring, got tickets for may. This is for a club show, he’s definitely one of the best kid-sized venue acts I’ve seen.

Sad to hear that such a great comedian is clubbing children, although his act might have had a few hints on that front

kidding, Jeselnik is really funny and so far has been able to pull off shock comedy without turning into a horrible rear end in a top hat

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

You can absolutely see the line between Jeselnik the person and Jeselnik the stand up character and I think that's why it works so well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dammit looks like he came through here a few weeks ago.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Andrew Santino’s new special is worse than gringo papi, it’s awful

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

lol no it’s not

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Cheeseburger is better than his first special by a lot, but that isn't saying much. Gringo Papi is an atrocity the likes of which we've never seen before. I'd rather watch Greg Gutfeld

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Well maybe, they’re both just awful, I’d just rather listen to the gringo papi because at least it’s so absurd you can sort of laugh at it, but I couldn’t stop cringing through cheeseburger. The bit about why he named it cheeseburger and the bit at the end about the girl with Down syndrome were some of the worst stand up bits I’ve ever heard.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Lumbermouth posted:

You can absolutely see the line between Jeselnik the person and Jeselnik the stand up character and I think that's why it works so well.

There's a split second in one of his specials where he breaks character and kind of chuckles at the joke he's about to tell, and then he yells at everyone when they notice it. As funny as those specials were, I think that was my favorite bit.

emptyrave
May 13, 2022

What is the best soapy clean special that has come out in the last 5-10 years? I don't mean "I'm looking for a show made for kids that's actually clever and funny", but a special for adults that doesn't swear or talk about eyebrow-raising topics and you wouldn't notice unless someone brought it up.

I'm not planning to show anyone this kind of standup, so it's not because of that, I'm just genuinely curious.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Nate Bargatze's Full Time Magic is my favorite clean special

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

XIII posted:

Nate Bargatze's Full Time Magic is my favorite clean special

Yeah Nate is great and his humor is totally PG-13. One of my favorite comics right now

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'd say anything by Tom Papa, who is like a more clever and world-weary Jim Gaffigan.

John Mulaney has talked about his past drug use, but I would say his material is PG-13 too.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Brian Regan is good.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Marc Maron's From Bleak To Dark was really good.

Jim Jefferies' High N' Dry was also pretty good, expectedly crass though. Be prepared for a bit of transphobia, or at least, some really reductive and boorish takes on the subject from someone who is otherwise surprisingly progressive. And he talks about Greta Thunberg a bit too much. The anecdote and follow-up speculation about going to see Elton John with his friend who inadvertently yelled out "fag!" was hilarious though.

What are some good resources for staying up on these specials dropping? Now that I can't use my folks' Netflix anymore I'm gonna be torrenting a lot of stuff, and I hunger for novel comedy routines.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw Jefferies tour that show, it feels like it was nearly 2 years ago now. I hope Mulaney doesn’t take too long with his taping as I missed him this time. Last time I think it came out like a week after I saw him.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw Jefferies tour that show, it feels like it was nearly 2 years ago now. I hope Mulaney doesn’t take too long with his taping as I missed him this time. Last time I think it came out like a week after I saw him.

Same thing happened to me with Nick Kroll's latest show. I saw him in (looking it up now) 2019 and the routine was mostly the same as his latest Netflix special, Little Big Boy or whatever it's called. I think it was exactly the same actually, but a bit rearranged. When I saw him he closed with the recording of his hypnotherapist telling him about "the cockroaches in the Pringles cans" in a thick German accent that was clearly the inspiration for one of his funniest voices.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That reminds me I’ve not watched that one yet, I should remedy. Thanks!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
So netflix is supposed to show a live Chris Rock special in a few hours and I guess there's no hype anywhere?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

1glitch0 posted:

So netflix is supposed to show a live Chris Rock special in a few hours and I guess there's no hype anywhere?

Yeah, first I heard about it was today. I wonder if Netflix is hurting more than they let on from people jumping ship after they location-restricted their accounts. I know I don't even try to use it anymore.

Looking forward to checking that out after it's available though, I'm sure there's gonna be some spicy material in there.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, first I heard about it was today. I wonder if Netflix is hurting more than they let on from people jumping ship after they location-restricted their accounts. I know I don't even try to use it anymore.

Looking forward to checking that out after it's available though, I'm sure there's gonna be some spicy material in there.

It's weird because you think netflix would have super pushed their first (?) live event and something that would probably be buzzworthy. Oh well!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I got an email from Netflix about the Chris Rock thing 9 minutes before it started, lol

Mister Speaker posted:

Marc Maron's From Bleak To Dark was really good.
Yeah, wife and I watched it last night. We enjoyed it, though it definitely delivers on the name.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

1glitch0 posted:

It's their first time running a live event. Maybe Netflix wasn't confident enough in their backend to overhype a live streaming event and dealing with the backlash when everything crashes...

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Last time I watched a special I was gonna write some post asking about who the hell designs the stages for these things... But I just threw on the Chris Rock special and now I'm more immediately concerned about something else: is it, like, a rule that if you use hip-hop beats in your Netflix special, they have to be the shittiest beats anyone has ever heard?

Edit: why is he wearing a necklace with Prince's symbol on it

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 5, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’ve literally seen more advertising for Marlon Wayans’ special about the slap than Rock’s

https://youtu.be/N4YXCYM_SOk

edit: also I think Marlon’s special is better

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 5, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mister Speaker posted:

Edit: why is he wearing a necklace with Prince's symbol on it

They were pretty good friends and Rock is a huge fan

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/03/05/what-does-chris-rocks-prince-necklace-mean-love-symbol-seen-in-netflix-special/

He interviewed Prince one time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6k13ZDRl7g

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 5, 2023

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
First 20 minutes of Rock's show is real rough and for me he barely recovers. He hits maximum levels of restating the premise of the bit during the bit this time and comes packed with topics but not with jokes. Did you know you can't joke about anything these days?

The slap stuff is a mixed bag. I get his anger about it of course. I think it's easy to forget that not only did Smith get an ovation later on that night but he was pictured hours later on the dancefloor with his Oscar having a grand time. Now, he's entitled to of course, but it must have been insane for Rock to watch. So naturally he reserves most of his ire for Jada.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

DrVenkman posted:

First 20 minutes of Rock's show is real rough and for me he barely recovers. He hits maximum levels of restating the premise of the bit during the bit this time and comes packed with topics but not with jokes. Did you know you can't joke about anything these days?

The slap stuff is a mixed bag. I get his anger about it of course. I think it's easy to forget that not only did Smith get an ovation later on that night but he was pictured hours later on the dancefloor with his Oscar having a grand time. Now, he's entitled to of course, but it must have been insane for Rock to watch. So naturally he reserves most of his ire for Jada.

I am really, really, really, REALLY sick of seeing famous millionaires on a stage in front of thousands, being streamed on their netflix deal for millions of dollars, talk nonstop about being canceled and how they can't say anything anymore. Every loving famous comedian for the past 4 years has been bitching about how they can't talk about anything from my television set that they're being paid millions to perform on.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Marc Maron made fun of those comedians in From Bleak to Dark. People bitching about ‘cancel culture’ or ‘wokeness’ is a surefire sign that they are hopelessly out of touch and also probably out of ideas too.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Zugzwang posted:

Marc Maron made fun of those comedians in From Bleak to Dark. People bitching about ‘cancel culture’ or ‘wokeness’ is a surefire sign that they are hopelessly out of touch and also probably out of ideas too.

I've been meaning to watch that one. Looking forward to it more now!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah, this bit was great. I definitely am tired of that poo poo too. I tuned out of Chris Rock's set when he started talking about that poo poo; TBH I really just wanted to hear his take on The Slap, in retrospect like 85% of that special was a waste of time.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Go drop good ol' Uncle BBQ a tenner and check out his new special. Great stuff as always. Lots of the good bits he did on his last tour and a ton of stuff I hadn't seen

https://800poundgorillamedia.com/pages/kyle-kinane-shocks-struts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Oh neat, you can retroactively pay for the ones that have already been released for free! Loved the new Matt Braunger, wanna make sure he gets paid.