Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Name Change posted:

Most of the time it's 2-3 lines of inane nonsense as George's arms fold inside his body and he floats under the couch. TBH I'm not sure what the appeal was.

This is actually making it sound more, not less, appealing.

WRT YouTube, I started actually watching the shorts stuff because there's a few dumb video things that I'm a sucker for. It absolutely started recommending right wing bullshit to me, but after reporting a few channels it stopped. Honestly, it would just be swell if that stuff was gone altogether, but :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

poemdexter posted:

What the gently caress was their training set? I thought the whole thing was built off Seinfeld episodes?

There's been references to instagram and smartphone apps so it's definitely not all Seinfeld. Although the standup bits are trained from a different set -- I've seen the gummy bear joke more than once.

But at the end of the day it's an AI chatbot, and per Tay's Law all AI chatbots will eventually lead to Full Hitler.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like the appeal is like Adult Swim, there's a certain age/mindset/level of being high where that kind of nonstop breathless barely coherent absurdist nonsense is the funniest thing in the world.

And if anything the joke is incredibly on point given the trend of comedians doubling and tripling down on transphobia and conservative rhetoric and forgetting how to tell actual jokes.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The ai chatbots just pull their lines from existing text, right? Just how big can the chunks they pull be? I'd assume that the more coherent bits are just the result of it keeping a larger portion of text mostly intact. So if it grabbed something written by transphobes, the result would be what we saw.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

poemdexter posted:

What the gently caress was their training set? I thought the whole thing was built off Seinfeld episodes?

if someone's at the wheel they can just enter text to be said live. they used it before for chat interactions. chat's first guess during the standup bit was that someone's loving around

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Volmarias posted:

This is actually making it sound more, not less, appealing.

WRT YouTube, I started actually watching the shorts stuff because there's a few dumb video things that I'm a sucker for. It absolutely started recommending right wing bullshit to me, but after reporting a few channels it stopped. Honestly, it would just be swell if that stuff was gone altogether, but :homebrew:

The George model sits down by basically face planting onto the seat and then the torso/arms fold in and turn around until the body is in a regular person is sitting position, the unique jank each model has for how it sits/interacts with stuff is genuinely great lol

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

ponzicar posted:

The ai chatbots just pull their lines from existing text, right? Just how big can the chunks they pull be? I'd assume that the more coherent bits are just the result of it keeping a larger portion of text mostly intact. So if it grabbed something written by transphobes, the result would be what we saw.

You can usually coerce those models to reproduce training data verbatim.

If a chatbot produces bigotry, that tells you what the people who selected training data found worth including. That's an active choice on their part.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It's more that it uses the broad general training data in the style of Seinfeld. They just don't bother filtering the training data.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It's more that it uses the broad general training data in the style of Seinfeld. They just don't bother filtering the training data.
It's a huge amount of work to do that properly, and probably out of reach for non-monetized joke stuff like this. (I'm not nearly up on the ins and outs of ChatGPT training data, etc., but this sort of thing is generally just a lot of work)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

cat botherer posted:

It's a huge amount of work to do that properly, and probably out of reach for non-monetized joke stuff like this. (I'm not nearly up on the ins and outs of ChatGPT training data, etc., but this sort of thing is generally just a lot of work)

it's a lot of mostly terrible work

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yo man you def should_torture

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Debate & DiscussionTech Nightmares 6: Yo man you def should_torture

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Debate & DiscussionTech Nightmares 6: Yo man you def should_torture

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I destroyed a $1300 iPhone last night by charging it from a $50 table lamp's USB Port. Heard a pop, smelled something, iPhone dead.

15 years I've had USB devices. This is a new one.

Someone should sell fused USB cables.

Anyway, yes ... I had AppleCare.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

VideoGameVet posted:

I destroyed a $1300 iPhone last night by charging it from a $50 table lamp's USB Port. Heard a pop, smelled something, iPhone dead.

I didn’t even realize this was possible. Making a mental note to only use my own wall warts from now on.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

VideoGameVet posted:

I only use chargers and computers to charge phones due to this (and the occasional battery bank). My apartment has usb plugs on the wall outlets that I wouldn't trust at all as how reliable the transformer is, how reliable the voltage is, what battery charging protocol it uses. (Spoiler they use the cheapest chip they found on Alibaba probably)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Finally, Congress is going to do something about JIRA!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I love the idea that conspiracy nuts might think Jira is a digital equivalent of the smoke filled back room full of intricate illegal plans, when really its where overworked middle management goes to ask "Is this still a problem? Can I close this issue?"

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
up next a diagram of VISA/MASTERCARD and how they connect with the entire country as a shadow cabal

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Celexi posted:

up next a diagram of VISA/MASTERCARD and how they connect with the entire country as a shadow cabal

Don't turn the GOP back onto bitcoin

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Finally, Congress is going to do something about JIRA!

Something something removing blockers

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Baronash posted:

I didn’t even realize this was possible. Making a mental note to only use my own wall warts from now on.

Ever seen a teardown of a copycat Apple charger? Shockingly bad construction with far, far fewer components than the real thing. An obvious fire hazard waiting to happen.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Do you feel like linking, or saying more?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I hope tinhat people see nerds talking about their home NAS as something sinister.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do you feel like linking, or saying more?

Fake:
http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside-cheap-phone-charger-and-why-you.html

vs

Real:
http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html

Video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wi-b9k-0KfE

tldr: There’s a lot of circuitry and safety features/standards in real chargers that get removed or not followed in order to make poo poo tier cheap chargers to sell for profit at low prices. Do you really want to save a few to tens of bucks on something you plug into live circuitry and/or your $1000+ phone?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 9, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

So Google put together an advert for bard, but didn't think to fact check what it says in the advert before putting it out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64576225

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 9, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mega Comrade posted:

So Google put together an advert for bard, but didn't think to fact check what it says in the advert before putting it out.

I think this is well above the level where the board of directors just has your legs broken.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

mllaneza posted:

I think this is well above the level where the board of directors just has your legs broken.

I know people who work at Google and aren’t sure if they’ll have a job in 2 weeks - this has not gone down well.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mllaneza posted:

Bards are poets, not librarians! Never get facts get in the way of a good story, you know?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mega Comrade posted:

This won’t be a problem once all the news is written by AIs as well

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mega Comrade posted:

Oh, so the Bard embellished?
Is this your first campaign?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
GitLab is also ditching 7% of its staff. What is with this magic percentage? Is it what they decided on during the last #WEF summit? #davos

Edit: At least GoDaddy is going for 8% to mix things up a little.

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 9, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sagacity posted:

GitLab is also ditching 7% of its staff. What is with this magic percentage? Is it what they decided on during the last #WEF summit? #davos

6 is too low, 10 is too high, but 789.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh, so the Bard embellished?
Is this your first campaign?

*insert your own “Bard screws everything” joke here*

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I mean the Bard was pretty famous for inventing new things in language. It’s just appropriate.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Kind of curious to see whether the tech layoffs are going to boomerang back if the bulk employment numbers remain decent. It really seems like just some kind of contagion, unrelated to actual business conditions.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

cat botherer posted:

Kind of curious to see whether the tech layoffs are going to boomerang back if the bulk employment numbers remain decent. It really seems like just some kind of contagion, unrelated to actual business conditions.

It's related to interest rates. A lot of tech companies took on debt and borrowed to expand rapidly and now that the era of easy money is over they're trying to cut down.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Interest rates and balancing the books before the end of the financial year.
Many will probably be hiring again after April.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Morrow posted:

It's related to interest rates. A lot of tech companies took on debt and borrowed to expand rapidly and now that the era of easy money is over they're trying to cut down.
Ah yeah, that's very true. As a computer toucher though, I'm really hoping for a bounceback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
FWIW, it seems to me to be primarily the tech /webshit companies doing the firing. Within my area of expertise nobody would even think about letting IT people go. Big Tech is hardly representative of the larger IT labour market.