Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Seriously though, even if a game plays like a board game (e.g. Arkham Horror the card game, etc) to me there's something missing when every major component -- whether it's a map location, player, monster, event, etc -- is visually the same: a card the same size and shape as all the others, often with some text too small to read from across the table. I can't shake the feeling that it's just a homogenous blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Rockman Reserve posted:

Dominos is a pizza, which is a type of sandwich.

also a kind of board! it comes full circle

like a pizza

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Seriously though, even if a game plays like a board game (e.g. Arkham Horror the card game, etc) to me there's something missing when every major component -- whether it's a map location, player, monster, event, etc -- is visually the same: a card the same size and shape as all the others, often with some text too small to read from across the table. I can't shake the feeling that it's just a homogenous blob.

Consider this though - it's a board game if you play it on a mat. Which, incidentally, is in many ways similar to artificial turf.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

games that have both cards and tokens are board games by dint of utilizing components other than cards during gameplay. this includes netrunner, magic, arkham, l5r, yu-gi-oh, et al. for most of the world card game still means like, spades, bridge, president, canasta. the crib board could easily be a pen & paper so I have disqualified it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MizuZero posted:

the crib board could easily be a pen & paper so I have disqualified it.

if there's no board it ain't cribbage. I'm calling muggins on this post

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

A new cool boardgame scraper.

https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1-Y2REEzRsWQZWBU12c6A9gM2JmYsuyyt

Found 144 rated games
Using 128 rated games (only those in BGG top 10000)

Things you seem to like (in order)
----------------------------------
boring

Things you seem to dislike (in order)
-------------------------------------
category: Humor
Divisive games (high variation in rating)
category: Print & Play
High minimum player count (according to publisher)
High minimum player count (BGG user poll)
High maximum player count (BGG user poll)
category: Dice
mechanic: Player Elimination
category: Children's Game
category: Horror
Recent games
mechanic: Dice Rolling
category: Nautical

Haha, what?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
This is very good

quote:

mechanic: Auction/Bidding
category: Abstract Strategy
mechanic: Network and Route Building
mechanic: Auction: Turn Order Until Pass
Weighty games (BGG user poll)
mechanic: Ownership
Long games (by average duration)
Long games (by maximum duration)
category: Transportation
category: Trains
mechanic: Connections
category: Animals
mechanic: Constrained Bidding
mechanic: Increase Value of Unchosen Resources

mechanic: Player Elimination
mechanic: End Game Bonuses
mechanic: Solo / Solitaire
Games with many ratings
category: Territory Building
mechanic: Take That
mechanic: Traitor Game
mechanic: Voting
Recent games
mechanic: Once-Per-Game Abilities

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

This is very good

Aside from the traitor mechanic being in the dislike pile (since I mean, some games pull it off pretty well IMO) that's actually a pretty solid ratings list, yeah!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
My list is wack

code:
Highly rated games
Weighty games (BGG user poll)
Long games (by average duration)
Long games (by maximum duration)
mechanic: Solo / Solitaire Game
mechanic: Tech Trees / Tech Tracks
mechanic: Turn Order: Claim Action
mechanic: Variable Player Powers
category: Economic
category: Adventure
category: Fantasy
mechanic: Hexagon Grid
mechanic: Critical Hits and Failures
mechanic: Once-Per-Game Abilities
mechanic: Legacy Game
category: Miniatures
mechanic: Simultaneous Action Selection
category: Fighting
mechanic: Grid Movement
mechanic: Tile Placement
category: Animals
mechanic: Worker Placement
mechanic: Role Playing
Long games (by minimum duration)
mechanic: Dice Rolling
Divisive games (high variation in rating)
mechanic: End Game Bonuses
category: Dice
mechanic: Track Movement
mechanic: Scenario / Mission / Campaign Game
mechanic: Deck, Bag, and Pool Building
category: Abstract Strategy
Games with many ratings
mechanic: Modular Board
mechanic: Variable Set-up
category: Exploration

category: Card Game
mechanic: Take That
category: Deduction
Recent games
High minimum player count (according to publisher)
category: Party Game
category: Spies/Secret Agents
category: Novel-based
category: Murder/Mystery
category: Real-time
mechanic: Team-Based Game
category: Bluffing
I like these mechanics, it's just that a lot of the games that incorporate them suck rear end. Decrypto was whatever, Chronicles of Crime was a snooze fest, the Unlock games are more like playing a procedure. At least Sherlock was good. Also I only ranked the games I own and the base game only (not the like 12 addons for Too Many Bones), so it's probably more skewed

Though like 80% of the recs are games I've played so at least that lines up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

Though like 80% of the recs are games I've played so at least that lines up.

My reccommend list was literally nothing but grog wargames, COINs and 18xx. It's not possible to be more wrong about what I would want to play.

I also got a good laugh out of "you like: highly rated games". What, I'm supposed to like the poo poo ones?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Look at this scrub enjoying games that have gone mainstream and sold out.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It’s a glorified dice chucker at its core but Final Girl is kinda rad as hell…?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

bobvonunheil posted:

So I've just received 2 copies of Frosthaven.

However I definitely only ordered one, and one has come from Germany whereas the other came from my normal distribution route (Aetherworks) - I live in Western Australia for the record.

I've already unpacked the one delivered to me via the normal route, and I feel like sending the other back would just cost them more money, especially if it ends up going back to Germany.

What would you do, goons? Return it or redistribute it?

This just happened to our group in NZ too. Can't have been cheap!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what would be a good place for say, finding new emerging word games? I just played So Clover the other day and enjoyed that. Found out it's been around for nearly 2 years and wondered where it's been my whole life (didn't know about it til someone brought it to game night). We've also enjoyed Decrypto (but don't get to play it much), Codenames, Just One, and host really likes Crosstalk

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

what would be a good place for say, finding new emerging word games? I just played So Clover the other day and enjoyed that. Found out it's been around for nearly 2 years and wondered where it's been my whole life (didn't know about it til someone brought it to game night). We've also enjoyed Decrypto (but don't get to play it much), Codenames, Just One, and host really likes Crosstalk

Platypus is good fun if you like this sort of game. I got it for under a tenner too.

Played it with a Swedish friend, who played the word 'inflammable' thinking that it meant not flammable, causing us to lose the game and quote Dr Nick at him.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 9, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Alan Smithee posted:

Codenames and now So Clover have really launched in a new interest in simple but excellent word games.

You could look up the category Word Game on BGG and sort by Year Released to get the recent releases or sort by Rank to find the overall most popular ones. Link to that search. The main issue with searching by date is it includes lots of unreleased games and crowdfunding projects in the 2023-2024 category.

A recent word game I heard about was Wordcraft that Candice Harris said was her 10th favorite game of 2022 but I have not played it. Among non-recent games, I recommend Insider at basically every opportunity. I have also heard good things about Trapwords and Letter Jam but have not played either.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedit posted:

My reccommend list was literally nothing but grog wargames, COINs and 18xx. It's not possible to be more wrong about what I would want to play.

I also got a good laugh out of "you like: highly rated games". What, I'm supposed to like the poo poo ones?

Someday you will appreciate 18xx

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Someday you will appreciate 18xx

I'm more likely to depreciate it. Stock trading games do absolutely nothing for me.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jedit posted:

I'm more likely to depreciate it. Stock trading games do absolutely nothing for me.

I'm not big on stock trading but I enjoyed 1846.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zz57_vUnbM

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

xiw posted:

This just happened to our group in NZ too. Can't have been cheap!

Man, why can't I ever have 500 dollars turn up at my door :v:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Dear self:

Do you really need Andromeda's Edge when you already have Dwellings of Eldervale? How many big box games that get pulled out maybe once or twice a year can one reasonably want to own?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Memnaelar posted:

Dear self:

Do you really need Andromeda's Edge when you already have Dwellings of Eldervale? How many big box games that get pulled out maybe once or twice a year can one reasonably want to own?

Having this same inner monologue as I tab between the ISS Vanguard and Andromeda’s Edge pages on Gamefound, less than a week after pledging for Oathsworn.

There will also be campaigns for the new Tainted Grail, and Chip Theory’s Elder Scrolls, within the next two months..

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Is this gonna be $120 USD or something? Because it looks awesome :(

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jewmanji posted:

Is this gonna be $120 USD or something? Because it looks awesome :(

What, no, of course not.

It's a Splotter game, probably $150.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's also pretty much sold out already, so unlike the usual SUSD effect where it sells out right after, they helpfully waited until the first print run is already gone.

Splotter said they were planning on a second print run shortly though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Lol if you dont pre-order the new splotter as soon as it's announced.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I played my first (?) (Does Power Grid count?) train game, Age of Steam at this week's BGN. I came in second to last place, so I got that going for me. I didn't really find it boring at all, actually I was surprised how quickly the ~3.5 hrs passed. I wasn't even bored on other people's turns. On the other hand I have absolutely no natural knack for this. I didn't choose the Bonus Action Locomotive even once or Engineer and when I realized I should have I was too behind to bid well!! One guy ran away with the game, beating out an experienced player, for his second ever game. Must be, drat, nice! Haha, just kidding.

We got in a game of Decrypto before sitting down for AoS. I was HYPE! Due to I've been wanting to play it for quite some time, having had it recommended plenty enough and also watching an NBR game that looked like so much fun. The same guy who brought AoS to the store brought Decrypto since the store doesn't have either available for play but as luck would have they just added it this week so it'll be there for whenever. Good stuff.

Last week I also played Marrakesh, which I forgot to mention due to fuming about Game of Ham. Perfectly fine cute little abstract. Love the components. I get it less than I get most abstracts. My pro-tip if you're gonna play is you're better off making small patches around the board than one big bomb. Both players, myself included, who opted to take over a large part of the board never actually managed anyone landing on it, so there's that.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I played my first (?) (Does Power Grid count?) train game, Age of Steam at this week's BGN. I came in second to last place, so I got that going for me. I didn't really find it boring at all, actually I was surprised how quickly the ~3.5 hrs passed. I wasn't even bored on other people's turns. On the other hand I have absolutely no natural knack for this. I didn't choose the Bonus Action Locomotive even once or Engineer and when I realized I should have I was too behind to bid well!! One guy ran away with the game, beating out an experienced player, for his second ever game. Must be, drat, nice! Haha, just kidding.

If you look back over my post history ITT, you'll find me complaining about how I regularly do well at Railways of the World (a game that's 75% the same as AoS on the surface) but have been trounced at AoS the times I've played it. It's a tough, non-intuitive game. You really have to be willing to bid high to get the initiative to get the Benny you want, and have to make the right decision about the Benny you need on that turn. You also have to not be afraid of debt. In RotW, I almost always come out with the fewest bonds of everyone; it's behavior I need to change for AoS. Not that you necessarily end up with more 'bonds' (can't remember what the debt tracking is called) in AoS than everyone else if you're in the lead, but you tend to accumulate them faster near the beginning of the game to get the initiative.

Also, some maps are just plain screwy. I've played on France, which is pretty straightforward (Engineers are required to lay track through mountains; they don't give you longer runs). I've also played on Hungary, which is wild (to ship a cube, at least one link must be someone else's -- so all shipments have to be at least 2 links long, and you have to make sure you don't lock opponents out of corners of the board).

Ecce whining (you are not alone; AoS is hard):

Admiralty Flag posted:

Why do I do so well at Railways of the World but suck so badly at Age of Steam? They're close to the same game.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 9, 2023

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

This is a fantastic exemplar of SU&SD reviews.

Glowing, but critical. Explains why it's good and bad in a way that makes it clear if you're going to gel with it. This video leaves me with no doubt that I want to play Horseless Carriage and not buy it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Tom is a treasure

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was straightening shelves at work and noticed a little game called Level 10 in the small games area. Apparently it's just Okey Dokey with a retro game aesthetic. It'll only be about six bucks with my discount so I'll probably grab it, it looks cute and that price isn't bad for a game I'll probably get a couple of hours of enjoyment out of.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Update on my extra Frosthaven package: Cephalofair have officially permitted me to keep it :dance:

Gonna pass it on to a buddy.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Privately I don't consider games that consist entirely of cards to be board games :goleft:

Absolutely correct. They are tabletop miniatures games.

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

Azran posted:

Tom is a treasure

Has anyone else noticed that Tom is producing all SUSD content these days? He's on every podcast, which he also edits, puts out a couple video reviews a month, does weekly streams, and writes the newsletter and the website.

Honestly, if he wanted to jump ship and do his own thing, I'd follow him.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I kinda miss Paul to be honest.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
They might be tied up doing People Make Games, which is a longform video games journalism series on Youtube. I miss da boys too tho.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

That's just Quinns on PMG, although according to their newsletters Matt has been setting up a studio space for them to use for filming instead of their apartments.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

I kinda miss Paul to be honest.

I honestly stopped watching much of any SUSD the moment he left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I like Matt a lot, but I don't think he provided a strong counterpoint to Quinn. It's what I like about Tom so much - he seems to fill the void Paul left. Tom rolling in "I browbeat my friends into playing a splotter game they didn't love four times." Yes, more of that, please.