Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

at some point twitter will break their embeds and we will be free

if you think cbo is above twitter screenshot posts idk what to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

gradenko_2000 posted:

the 10th edition rules leaks sound like they're going to be garbage but good luck I guess to anyone who just paints the things

Actually from the rumors 10th edition sounds awesome so far, it's simpler and more streamlined and faster to pick up and play so I might actually make the jump to 40k then.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The gang is back together I see

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Symour hersh is right and america is the big satan of all terrorism.

Like Blowing up Nordstream is legit grounds for war if it was any other country.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Supposedly, the Russians have broke through pretty cleanly to the north of Bakhmut, and AFU are really down to one country road that is in mortar/artillery range.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

seems like Hersh was 100% right

Al-Saqr posted:

Symour hersh is right

many people are saying!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Supposedly, the Russians have broke through pretty cleanly to the north of Bakhmut, and AFU are really down to one country road that is in mortar/artillery range.

hmmmm now to see if it was worth it for the ukranians to hold on so fiercely and sacrifice so many soldiers for that city, did it buy them enough time for defenses elsewhere for the incoming big Russian push?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

hmmmm now to see if it was worth it for the ukranians to hold on so fiercely and sacrifice so many soldiers for that city, did it buy them enough time for defenses elsewhere for the incoming big Russian push?

not looking great for them, but probably too early to make any big assumptions

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i hope seymour hersh is able to get his story out on the large cable news shows that are publicly sympathetic to his claim the us bombed the nordstream pipelines!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

i hope seymour hersh is able to get his story out on the large cable news shows that are publicly sympathetic to his claim the us bombed the nordstream pipelines!

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1623511008210784257

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

aaron mate, host of the jimmy dore show, too powerful for cspam

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Symour hersh is right and america is the big satan of all terrorism.

Like Blowing up Nordstream is legit grounds for war if it was any other country.

the united states has over a hundred thousand military personnel stationed on dozens of bases with all sorts of fun hardware in western europe

they're not there to protect our "allies"

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fox News channel is correct. nice to see.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

speng31b posted:

if you think cbo is above twitter screenshot posts idk what to say

legitimately wouldn't mind those at all. the twitter embeds are specifically laggy as gently caress. make scrolling feel like rear end. god help you if you accidentally click one as it pops open

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

you know who else gave speeches at Munich???

:vince:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

many people are saying!

you called it. still lol at this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3958552&pagenumber=7164&perpage=40#post526581462

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
SpaceX curbed Ukraine's use of Starlink internet for drones -company president

quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - SpaceX has taken steps to prevent Ukraine's military from using the company's Starlink satellite internet service for controlling drones in the region during the country's war with Russia, SpaceX's president said Wednesday.

SpaceX's Starlink satellite internet service, which has provided Ukraine's military with broadband communications in its defense against Russia's military, was "never never meant to be weaponized," Gwynne Shotwell, SpaceX's president and chief operating officer, said during a conference in Washington, D.C.

"However, Ukrainians have leveraged it in ways that were unintentional and not part of any agreement," she said.

I'm kinda baffled that SpaceX didn't think that's what it would be used for. This block will hit Ukrainian forces' ability to use drones for recon and artillery spotting.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OhFunny posted:

SpaceX curbed Ukraine's use of Starlink internet for drones -company president

I'm kinda baffled that SpaceX didn't think that's what it would be used for. This block will hit Ukrainian forces' ability to use drones for recon and artillery spotting.

They should put Elon back on the list imo. Can't abide this treason.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

OhFunny posted:

This block will hit Ukrainian forces' ability to use drones for recon and artillery spotting.
Considering both the DIY and DJI drones communicate directly with the controller I don't see how that would be the case. At most they could try and geofence the DJIs through spoofing the download of map data, but that update needs to be done manually by operators.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Brown Moses has been furiously retweeting all of these and more in an attempt to discredit the story.
You know you're onto something when he's sent into over-drive.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
The thing I was most sus about was that it was actually Sy Hersh, but like all these terrible people are just assuming it is, so...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah he obviously hit the truth.

“conspiracy theory” is another meaningless phrase liberals use like “authoritarian” or “democracy”

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Brown Moses got mad at me when I suggested identifying a vehicle type meant little during a civil war when both sides are using the same equipment and capturing poo poo off each other

Like he thought only assad loyalists were using certain vehicles and the other sides had their own unique faction equipment. He's stupid as gently caress but maybe thats just part of the act?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it is really something when the response to critical reporting from a guy who's made some real bombshell revelations in the past which turned out to be 100% true is to try to discredit the guy instead of investigating the story's often very specific claims

it's incredible that this doesn't offer some level of dissonance to these people who claim to be members of a critical press. ok, these allegations are very serious ones and don't need to be immediately accepted. go out and investigate them then! that is your job and the thing which justifies you having an important function!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

that is your job and the thing which justifies you having an important function!

:wrong:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
now repeat after me class: the purpose of a system is what it does

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

CODChimera posted:

well he did ask for jets

Even better, he thanked them in advance for their Fine British Jets (???)

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Starlink satellites have been used to facilitate the operation of drones dropping explosives on Russians, making them legitimate target.

No surprise they're backing off here.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I say we crowdfund sending whatever Gloster Meteors are hanging around the various aviation museums to Ukraine. Really show some support

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

it is really something when the response to critical reporting from a guy who's made some real bombshell revelations in the past which turned out to be 100% true is to try to discredit the guy instead of investigating the story's often very specific claims

it's incredible that this doesn't offer some level of dissonance to these people who claim to be members of a critical press. ok, these allegations are very serious ones and don't need to be immediately accepted. go out and investigate them then! that is your job and the thing which justifies you having an important function!

[looks at the multiple glenn greenwald threads where drug addled retards just scream 'gas' repeatedly for months]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Frosted Flake posted:

I think it's funny that he neither wears the Ukrainian army uniform nor combat boots but this weird ersatz uniform.

I too think this is funny. Shows up everywhere looking like complete poo poo, knowing in advance he's going to get at least some of what he asks for (due to it already fitting western needs and the maximalist nature of the requests). It's intended to cultivate this impression that he spends too much time on or near the frontlines to bother with such trivialities as formal attire.

Worse yet though are the Azov guys et al begging for money on Tiktok in crisp, clean uniforms while the rest go out and die pointlessly in a vain attempt to "soak up" Russian firepower

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

the one thing I've seen about the story that's credibly wrong is Hersh's claim that Jens Stoltenberg "was a hardliner on all things Putin and Russia who had cooperated with the American intelligence community since the Vietnam War", when the guy was 16 years old during the Fall of Saigon... but that says nothing about his claims regarding Nordstream

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Futanari Damacy posted:

I say we crowdfund sending whatever Gloster Meteors are hanging around the various aviation museums to Ukraine. Really show some support

Supposedly some Ukrainian pilots may use some British trainers at some point, but the Brits even before the war had a real issue with pilot training and it is probably going to be hard to push their capacity farther than it already. Also, it takes months in a trainer before you get even a change to fly an actual combat jet then start practicing tactics and building up experience.

I just don't think it is a thing that is going to affect the current battlefield unless something else is announced.

-------------

As for the Hersh story, it does take some faith even to accept though it makes sense on geopolitical grounds. There is only one an unnamed source, but it isn't implausible either. Also, if it was just completely made up by a "crank" then the intelligence apparatus and its OSINT affiliates would just laugh it off and move on. There is smoke there.

Its greatest affect may be in Europe where poll numbers are shifting as unhappiness grows.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:40 on Feb 9, 2023

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

What if Jens just needed some extra dough during his first year of high school

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

xiaoren posted:

What if Jens just needed some extra dough during his first year of high school

quote:

Stoltenberg's first steps into politics came in his early teens, when he was influenced by his sister Camilla, who at the time was a member of the then Marxist–Leninist group Red Youth. Opposition to the Vietnam War was his triggering motivation. Following heavy bombing raids against the North Vietnamese port city of Hai Phong at the end of the Vietnam War, he participated in protest rallies targeting the United States Embassy in Oslo. On at least one occasion embassy windows were broken by stone-throwing protesters. Several of Stoltenberg's friends were arrested by the police after these events.[12]

Hmmmm

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It would be very finny, though, if some 16 year old in the 60s or 70s was really mad about some 23 year old guy named Putin in Russia.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ah he was like collaborator Clyburn

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ah he was like collaborator Clyburn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

gradenko_2000 posted:

the one thing I've seen about the story that's credibly wrong is Hersh's claim that Jens Stoltenberg "was a hardliner on all things Putin and Russia who had cooperated with the American intelligence community since the Vietnam War", when the guy was 16 years old during the Fall of Saigon... but that says nothing about his claims regarding Nordstream

stoltenberg was in labour youth since he was 14 and was the son of a prominent labour politician and diplomat. this is not literally implausible, though it is more likely that hersh is here confusing him with his dad