Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
If you'd given me the summaries for the first four episodes before the show started I don't think I would have pegged #4 as the controversial one.

As an aside I'm enjoying the 2000-ness of it all. It seems like it would have been just as easy to start off now and jump twenty years into the future, but there's fun little "retro" bits in the set designs. Probably some slip-ups somewhere but whatever, it's a TV show with zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

uvar posted:

If you'd given me the summaries for the first four episodes before the show started I don't think I would have pegged #4 as the controversial one.

It's really... not? Folks here are just being weird about it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

nine-gear crow posted:

It's really... not? Folks here are just being weird about it.

Yeah, this is the highest ratio of on-screen character presence to thread discourse about said character that I've seen in a while. I know we're all excited to talk about the show, but maybe just wait a few more days and see where they're going with her. I promise the thread will still be here by then

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

404notfound posted:

Yeah, this is the highest ratio of on-screen character presence to thread discourse about said character that I've seen in a while.

Piano frog.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

I thought the same thing. Unless they were trying to stay away from certain areas for some reason. 80 doesn’t really go through any major cities. It skirts south of Chicago and goes through Des Moines and Omaha. Going to KC is way out of the way. Doesn’t make any sense, wish they threw in a line to explain it.

"it's my second loving day in a car dude!" - the navigator

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

no one knows how to go anywhere without a dang cell phone telling them

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Eiba posted:

I think we can talk about someone traumatized into violence and tragic self destructive idiocy by personal and community tragedy beyond our comprehension…

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is there a compelling reason why, after 20 years, the qz's are based where the infected are? Joel says the mycelium even grow for miles underground, later he says there are virtually no infected out in the countryside (where all the arable farmland is). Bill and Frank live in an out of town idil, with no infected problems. Seems a touch odd that nobody, in 20 years, saw what they had and thought, hmm I want something like that.

No sane group of people would look at the qz and want to go there. It's literally nazitown right in zombie infection central. With severe likelihood of oppression and/or zombification. Where do they get their food? After 20 years?

I'm not a game player, so perhaps there are thriving communities well away from the old cities? The likelihood of getting fungus brain seems to diminish the further you get from, you know, the infected. Last I checked North America is huge with lots of empty parts in the middle bit, where they used to grow all the food.

Also, why has nobody burned everything to the ground, fungus does not do well against fire.

Yeah OK, I know, it's a game, and overrun cities look cool.

Otherwise, show good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Presumably the zombies go where the people are.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

uvar posted:

It's literally just one weird misogynist poster.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Maybe the real Karens are the friends we made along the way

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

withak posted:

Presumably the zombies go where the people are.

It's prime recruitment territory. :)

Though you would think the people would go where the zombies are not.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I figure they built these QZ's within population centres at the start because that's where all the people were, and then quickly they start preventing people from entering and leaving. You see them execute some people in ep1 for trying to leave or enter the QZ, so for 'normal' people who just want to survive, they probably figure it's safer just to stay in the QZ even though life is poo poo because the infected for the most part are kept outside the walls. Problem with getting out is, there's a sea of infected to get through before you get to the safety of the country, and that's if you manage to evade FEDRA which most people probably don't.

It wasn't like FEDRA gave people a choice about the QZ's either, which we see from Bill's flashback. If you were found, you were rounded up on a truck and taken there, or just killed if the QZ was already full. So people aren't really choosing to be there, they've been forced.

You'll have a lot of people who simply don't know how to survive on their own, too. FEDRA at least has some kind of food supply, power, etc, so the barest necessities are covered. I can easily see people just withering away in the QZ's for 20 years. Of the three QZ's mentioned on the show so far, 2 have collapsed, so it isn't like they're all chugging along fine either.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah once they set up the QZs in the most convenient places and locked them down it would've been next to impossible to move them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

I figure they built these QZ's within population centres at the start because that's where all the people were, and then quickly they start preventing people from entering and leaving. You see them execute some people in ep1 for trying to leave or enter the QZ

Weren't they executed for their unauthorised departure and return? It makes that a community would repudiate any action that risks spreading the fungus tbh, though the way FEDRA handles itself is obviously flawed.

Authorised travel to and from the QZ is allowed, and they seem to have refugee intake procedures.

I assume the long term plan was to expand the zone and retake more of the city, though the Boston zone clearly has difficulty maintaining order.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 9, 2023

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Collateral posted:

It's prime recruitment territory. :)

Though you would think the people would go where the zombies are not.

Then the zombies would just go to where the people are again?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

As you can also be infected by spores, I guess there's generally always going to be a few spores floating around outside and occasionally even people safe inside the QZ will get randomly infected if they breathe in too many (and we know how fussy people are about wearing masks outside, lol).

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I'm surprised they lasted 20 years based in absolutely the worst place possible. The spores would be densest where the fruiting bodies are, so getting away from there should have been a top priority. Attrition from the spores alone would guarantee collapse.

An easy answer would be fascists maintaining order and control, but then I doubt even the most ardent true believer would prefer the zombie ghetto to green pastures (with a smaller posibility of incidental infections from sneaking into a tempting mall, for instance).

Also, aren't the zombies tied to the mycelial roots? That would make them limited to a patch, and not nomadic at all.

As I said these qz's maybe the last vestiges of the old order and new order is prospering where the conditions are more benign.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
We've only seen human settlements based out of QZs, either FEDRA or recently FEDRA controlled. So it's a big question mark about how they are doing relative to anything else (or if there's anything else.)

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

The zombies go where the zombie-snacks are.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Yeah.

One thing I could believe, very much, would be them staying there in a democratic system. With the "We are fine right here" party winning out over them "Let's get the f out of dodge" party and there being a schism. But that is a different story* to the one they want to tell.

*possibly wrote by Armando Iannucci.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 9, 2023

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Mantis42 posted:

no one knows how to go anywhere without a dang cell phone telling them

sometimes when you're trying to drive around a single truck on the interstate you accidentally find yourself in a large city's business district full of the people you're trying to avoid. happens in an instant without apple carplay

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Stoatbringer posted:

As you can also be infected by spores, I guess there's generally always going to be a few spores floating around outside and occasionally even people safe inside the QZ will get randomly infected if they breathe in too many (and we know how fussy people are about wearing masks outside, lol).

Maybe I missed something, but do we actually know you can get infected by spores in the show?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They removed the spores thing from the show.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

this version of zombies compared to others has a better chance for the humans the longer it goes on. the whole collapse happens since it was tainted food and the outbreak just sprung up everywhere at once. most of the infected don't live all that long, and once people know how to avoid becoming infected, its a lot harder to actually sustain a new outbreak compared to something like 28 days later where the change happens nearly instantly.

as a result FEDRA technically just needed to outlast them. the problem is that point has likely already been reached but its too devoted to being a fascist regime and maintaining its own petty fiefdoms. For example an actual plan would be to migrate people to peninsulas and islands where you can set up better walls and defenses. We know they can run convoys between QZs to move supplies around, so it would not be implausible to also send FEDRA troops to to more defensible areas to set up new QZs. FEDRA just can't execute a plan like that. No one would trust them and their incompetence would mean its likely to fail anyway.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Collateral posted:

Is there a compelling reason why, after 20 years, the qz's are based where the infected are? Joel says the mycelium even grow for miles underground, later he says there are virtually no infected out in the countryside (where all the arable farmland is). Bill and Frank live in an out of town idil, with no infected problems. Seems a touch odd that nobody, in 20 years, saw what they had and thought, hmm I want something like that.

No sane group of people would look at the qz and want to go there. It's literally nazitown right in zombie infection central. With severe likelihood of oppression and/or zombification. Where do they get their food? After 20 years?

I'm not a game player, so perhaps there are thriving communities well away from the old cities? The likelihood of getting fungus brain seems to diminish the further you get from, you know, the infected. Last I checked North America is huge with lots of empty parts in the middle bit, where they used to grow all the food.

Also, why has nobody burned everything to the ground, fungus does not do well against fire.

Yeah OK, I know, it's a game, and overrun cities look cool.

Otherwise, show good.

To answer your question about the game, that's a yes, the game is very very generally a road trip tour of the different types of communities that would form in the aftermath.

I think you see evidence enough of this in the game itself and the show so far, but Fedra QZs and the groups built around in their wake (besides being poo poo for the reasons you say) aren't like, the US government or a massive force, it's something that's already broken and falling apart/long gone in most places when the story begins, like the Fedra QZ we see in the first episode is the "best" of those in the country. The people still living in the QZs are there because the people in charge of them want to hold on to some sense of "normality" and order and as we see in the first episode won't even allow anyone the choice of leaving.

But you see in the first and this most recent episode how much that forced "community" makes everyone extra paranoid and isolated from each other. So like you say they basically created a bunch of nazivilles in trying to preserve how they think the US used to be.

I like that aspect of the game and the show so far seems to have really leaned into it thematically especially with episode 3 of finding that balance.

I feel stupid asking this but from the way the show has gone so far, are the spores even a thing in it? They're a huge deal in the game but were handled in an EXTREMELY "this is a video game" way that makes no sense for what spores are or how they work. The show so far feels like after the initial ergot-esque outbreak they haven't spread via spores at all.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 9, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
mazin said spores aren't in season 1 but he hasn't necessarily removed them entirely from the world so they might show up in s2

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

roomtone posted:

mazin said spores aren't in season 1 but he hasn't necessarily removed them entirely from the world so they might show up in s2

That seems like a smart way to do it.

Spores in the first game are like, like in the game you walk into an area with massive amounts of spores floating around and it's like "okay I'll just put my gas mask on here" and then you remove it when you leave and it's like, the spores are still all over you?! lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel stupid asking this but from the way the show has gone so far, are the spores even a thing in it? They're a huge deal in the game but were handled in an EXTREMELY "this is a video game" way that makes no sense for what spores are or how they work. The show so far feels like after the initial ergot-esque outbreak they haven't spread via spores at all.

in interviews they removed it explicitly because it felt far to gamey. as well as not wanting to put pedro pascal in another mask for most of the show.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah I never played the Last of Us game, but in the fungus-zombie-sore-spread game I have played, the spores stick to you and try to infect you on contact, which is how spores would work, right? Inhaling them obviously ain't a good idea, but ants or other fungal targets and even existing human infections don't rely on inhalation.

Which is really awesome in stuff like Nausica where you got folks figuring out how to work around that with bulky suits that "catch" them and processes for cleaning them off so humans can live in spore-heavy areas, but less good for a TV show like this.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

there is also the issue that if it spread spores in the air to that degree, then its just over, humans have no chance and it wipes out everyone worldwide. there has to be some limiting factor for the story to exist, either its localized like in the game, or the mutated version simply does not use spores in the same way like in the show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I wish the thread would talk more about piano frog.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is Piano Frog in the game?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

QZs need to provide housing and infrastructure to the surviving population, it's much easier to use cities that already have all those things than try to build a city from scratch in the wilderness while civilization is collapsing around you. There's also the problem of getting people to it; since they're mostly already in the cities, it's easier to move the smaller rural population in than ship a good chunk of a city's population out to the middle of nowhere.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
When Piano Frog isn’t on screen, everyone should be asking “where is Piano Frog?”

roomtone posted:

Oh good, there are a couple of spore area scenes in P2 I’d hate for them to lose, whereas none of them in the first game matter at all.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

WoodrowSkillson posted:

there is also the issue that if it spread spores in the air to that degree, then its just over, humans have no chance and it wipes out everyone worldwide. there has to be some limiting factor for the story to exist, either its localized like in the game, or the mutated version simply does not use spores in the same way like in the show.

I always interpreted it as being a factor of concentration. Breathing in a few spores here or there is fine, your body's immune system can handle that. But breathing in a lot at once will overwhelm your body's defenses, allowing the infection to take hold and completely taking over.

So with the spores on your clothes or blowing in the wind outdoors, it's fine, those would be dispersed or low enough concentrations that you don't need to worry about getting infected.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Piano Frog was too powerful to die.

https://twitter.com/neil_druckmann/status/1617469323450404864

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Shnakepup posted:

I always interpreted it as being a factor of concentration. Breathing in a few spores here or there is fine, your body's immune system can handle that. But breathing in a lot at once will overwhelm your body's defenses, allowing the infection to take hold and completely taking over.

So with the spores on your clothes or blowing in the wind outdoors, it's fine, those would be dispersed or low enough concentrations that you don't need to worry about getting infected.

yeah, and in a game that works fine with "its bad in these rooms and not here" but to someone's point earlier, cities would likely be utterly hosed, as would most QZ's since it would just take one or two incidents of spores getting released and its done, since unlike other zombies the infection is straight up airborne.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

People wearing gasmasks a lot wouldn't be good in the show.

"poo poo, spores! Put your mask on."
*masks on*
"Mmmfflf bbbllmmff ffllppp?"
"Mmmbbffll?"
"Hhhmmff mmbbllff ffllbb!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

Oh good, there are a couple of spore area scenes in P2 I’d hate for them to lose, whereas none of them in the first game matter at all.

Yeah, there's one plot-significant spore moment in P2, but it could be handled in other ways or maybe even skipped entirely for TV.