Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wizards: You didn't upset us, we just felt like crying right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, there was some reporting around that time due to people scraping the store servers that there was a substantial amount of unsold stock when they 'sold out'.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, there was some reporting around that time due to people scraping the store servers that there was a substantial amount of unsold stock when they 'sold out'.

They also, very tellingly never actually said they "sold out". Which you'd think they'd be trumpeting full blast if it had sold out, but instead they used different, less natural, more neutral language.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
sold out

no no no...

sold? out!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I hope the Magic 30th Anniversary and OGL PR responses from WotC are a sign that their internal corporate policy is to respond to every disaster like a C-Tier shonen bully character the main guy beats soundly in like the third episode who hangs around and insists they didn't actually lose and are preparing to rematch at any moment for the rest of the story.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I feel like I'm in Bizzaro World where I have to be the one agreeing with Leperflesh: The amount of mental gymnastics you need to jump through to think they got cold feet and pulled the sale after half an hour is extraordinary to the point of absurdity. They aren't a small, indie company: that decision was made before the product ever went up.

And, yes, they gave almost all of it away, between the runs given to game stores for free (which was part of the initial marketing that all the shitfit-throwers always neglected to read), but also at all the 30th Anniversary events, starting with M30 in Vegas.

The fact that people point out that 70%+ of the product was given away and that they deliberately pulled it early, without ever coming to the obvious conclusion that That Was The loving Point, is excruciating to watch, but the lack of moderation here causing the MtG thread to be a constant rancid shitshow, has turned this into a very reap-what-you-sow moment, so I've mixed feelings on how this has played out.

The previous BofA findings were rapidly debunked on a number of levels, even by people who had no vested interest in defending WotC, so taking anything that they say at this point at face value is just feeding the Internet Hate Machine while making yourself look like a rube, so I guess, you do you.

As always, WotC has done enough loving up for any 10 companies, so idk maybe don't look like a goober by making GBS threads up the thread over fake bullshit and just call them out on their actual problematic poo poo, it would be a lot easier.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ah I see, so WotC wasn't stupid in this one way, they were stupid in a nigh-indistinguishable other way instead.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think it's OK if not everyone understands the full details of this particular shameful episode in WotC history, or understands them differently and would like clarification

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Name Change posted:

I think it's OK if not everyone understands the full details of this particular shameful episode in WotC history, or understands them differently and would like clarification

It wouldn't be so bad if the same posters who are the loudest and most inflammatory about it here weren't the same ones who are posting authoritatively while being demonstrably and easily proven wrong, and most of whom have been corrected multiple times in the MtG thread, already.

How do you think he got that redtext, anyway?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Toshimo posted:

How do you think he got that redtext, anyway?

Because thin-skinned nerds also happen to be bad with money would be my first guess.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Nuns with Guns posted:

I hope the Magic 30th Anniversary and OGL PR responses from WotC are a sign that their internal corporate policy is to respond to every disaster like a C-Tier shonen bully character the main guy beats soundly in like the third episode who hangs around and insists they didn't actually lose and are preparing to rematch at any moment for the rest of the story.

Wizards dropping the 5E rules on Creative Commons is Ultra Ego in this analogy, because they did a big dumb power move that's only opening them up for more asskickings.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If only they had the naming sensibilitires of a man who spent half a storyline calling himself "Super Vegeta" unironically

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
The other Wizards defender has logged on.

Toshimo posted:

And, yes, they gave almost all of it away, between the runs given to game stores for free (which was part of the initial marketing that all the shitfit-throwers always neglected to read)

Toshimo posted:

The fact that people point out that 70%+ of the product was given away

In all seriousness, what supports this claim? Unlike the OGL, I have not even seen Wizards or anyone else claim benevolence in the 30A scandal. If they had, I think it's reasonable to believe people would have made something out of it because we both accept that social media and content creators were not being shy about this. (Consider the mockery of the They won—and so did we statement.)

If you have anything to support that, then let's see it. I'm not doing the work this time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Yeah I literally have heard nothing claiming that 70% of the 30th packs were giveaways and it also doesn't change the fact that they actively advertised it as a $1000 pack before release

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Toshimo posted:

I feel like I'm in Bizzaro World where I have to be the one agreeing with Leperflesh: The amount of mental gymnastics you need to jump through to think they got cold feet and pulled the sale after half an hour is extraordinary to the point of absurdity. They aren't a small, indie company: that decision was made before the product ever went up.

Because honestly, in the grand scheme of things not the stupidest thing they've done to alienate the fanbase. Apparently, they made drafting utterly inaccessible to newbies because you can't read all the cards.....

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 9, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

what

what does it even mean

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 9, 2023

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

YggdrasilTM posted:

what

what does it even mean
So Phyrexian cards are playable MTG cards written in a fake language. That's what I want to do in the process learning how to play the game. Get the rules of the game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Okay I looked it up. These there's only six cards that can be in in phyrexian text. And judges are specifically instructed to inform players they can ask for the rules text in English at any time before the draft starts.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 9, 2023

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

The Bee posted:

Wizards dropping the 5E rules on Creative Commons is Ultra Ego in this analogy, because they did a big dumb power move that's only opening them up for more asskickings.

Smartest thing they did in the whole debacle. Now third parties can be compatible with the market leader using a completely permissive license or they can build on the #2 game using a license that forces virality. Look up the trend away from the GPL in open source games.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Thanlis posted:

Smartest thing they did in the whole debacle. Now third parties can be compatible with the market leader using a completely permissive license or they can build on the #2 game using a license that forces virality. Look up the trend away from the GPL in open source games.
Who's to say the ORC will force virality? OGL 1.0a doesn't, you've always been completely free under that to declare all the stuff you contribute product identity or otherwise refrain from making it open content.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Warthur posted:

Who's to say the ORC will force virality? OGL 1.0a doesn't, you've always been completely free under that to declare all the stuff you contribute product identity or otherwise refrain from making it open content.

There’s a specific list of things that can be product identity; you can’t declare anything you want as PI. Yes, I know people ignore that all the time.

But sure, the ORC might not force virality, in which case what’s going to make it preferable to a Creative Commons license?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
What is most amazing to me is that enough people still play MtG that it can support WotC. I must lead a blessed life.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What is most amazing to me is that enough people still play MtG that it can support WotC. I must lead a blessed life.

It is still their core business, well in front of D&D. I don't pay a lot of attention to MTG but it was funny when I still went to my FLGS and we had to shoo all the Magic players (or more often, people compiling and sending endless international mail orders for the business) out so we could do a night of D&D. It was gonna be either MTG or depending on the size of the store, Yu-Gi-Oh.

This was mid-2010s and I haven't really gotten back into gaming since the pandemic, so maybe it's changed, but I somehow doubt it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
All the board game spaces in my area (I'm blessed to have four or five) are pivoting to being nerd "event" spaces. I'm sure they still make oodles from Magic, but I don't think the threat is "WotC being greedy", it's "Amazon". So they're offering something Amazon can't - a place that you go to play your game at with like-minded nerds. Less and less inventory, more and more like a bar that assumes you're going to take up a huge table for five hours.

They seem to be thriving? Huge remodels, etc.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CitizenKeen posted:

All the board game spaces in my area (I'm blessed to have four or five) are pivoting to being nerd "event" spaces. I'm sure they still make oodles from Magic, but I don't think the threat is "WotC being greedy", it's "Amazon". So they're offering something Amazon can't - a place that you go to play your game at with like-minded nerds. Less and less inventory, more and more like a bar that assumes you're going to take up a huge table for five hours.

They seem to be thriving? Huge remodels, etc.

Oh yeah that was kinda coming into vogue too.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The stat that blows my mind as to how much of a rounding-error D&D is to WotC/Hasbro is that in Hasbro's game division, Jenga makes more than D&D y-o-y.

Like, not Hasbro's entire retail game division (Monopoly and Risk, etc), but just Jenga is a bigger moneymaker than all of D&D

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's cause people keep losing Jenga blocks under the couch after the tower falls over and they have to rebuy the whole game. D&D should lean into that and make you buy a new PHB if you ever misplace your charact sheet or mini.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Nah, it's those giant Jenga sets they sell to barcades.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Obviously all of the Jenga sets are going to people playing Dread

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Name Change posted:

This was mid-2010s and I haven't really gotten back into gaming since the pandemic, so maybe it's changed, but I somehow doubt it.

Nah. My FLGS is one of the biggest in the south and whenever there's a big Magic thing it's packed out.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Thanlis posted:

There’s a specific list of things that can be product identity; you can’t declare anything you want as PI. Yes, I know people ignore that all the time.

But sure, the ORC might not force virality, in which case what’s going to make it preferable to a Creative Commons license?
If you want to share some part of the content you make, the OGL (and presumably ORC) makes it easy to say "this statblock is open content, the name/description of the character this is a statblock of, is not open content." Whereas without that, you have to painstakingly (and perfectly!) go through every line and make sure that when you transform:

quote:

Name: Raven Shadowweaver

Statblock:
Race: Human
Class: Wizard
Ability Scores: Strength 10, Dexterity 16, Constitution 12, Intelligence 17, Wisdom 14, Charisma 15
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Hit Points: 40
Armor Class: 13
Attack Bonus: +6
Damage: 1d6 (dagger) or 1d8 (quarterstaff)

Description:
Raven Shadowweaver is a cunning and deadly individual who uses her mastery of magic to stalk and kill her prey. She is tall and slender, with long black hair and piercing red eyes that seem to glow with an inner fire. Despite her profession, she is a woman of intelligence and elegance, preferring to use her wit and charm to manipulate those around her into doing her bidding.

Spell List:
1st Level: Magic Missile, Charm Person, Shadow Step, Mind Rift
2nd Level: Invisibility, Hold Person
3rd Level: Lightning Bolt, Fly

Unique Spells:

Shadow Step: Raven can teleport from one shadow to another within 60 feet, leaving no trace of her passage.
Mind Rift: Raven opens a psychic connection with a target within 30 feet, causing intense pain and confusion. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw or be incapacitated for one round.
into:

quote:

Serial Killer Statblock:
Race: Human
Class: Wizard
Ability Scores: Strength 10, Dexterity 16, Constitution 12, Intelligence 17, Wisdom 14, Charisma 15
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Hit Points: 40
Armor Class: 13
Attack Bonus: +6
Damage: 1d6 (dagger) or 1d8 (quarterstaff)

Spell List:
1st Level: Magic Missile, Charm Person, Shadow Step, Mind Rift
2nd Level: Invisibility, Hold Person
3rd Level: Lightning Bolt, Fly

Unique Spells:

Shadow Step: The Serial Killer can teleport from one shadow to another within 60 feet, leaving no trace of their passage.
Mind Rift: The Serial Killer opens a psychic connection with a target within 30 feet, causing intense pain and confusion. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw or be incapacitated for one round.

You don't leave anything you didn't mean to inside there, before releasing your SRD into the Creative Commons. Wizards released the name Count Strahd von Zarovich, who is a vampire, into the Creative Commons.

I don't think that everybody got so mad about the attempted revocation of the OGL just because it hosed their business, but also because there is a genuine desire to share one's ideas and let them make the game(s) as a whole better. A decent amount of open gaming content was stuff that absolutely 100% was copyrightable; Freeport was declared OGC, for example.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Shrecknet posted:

The stat that blows my mind as to how much of a rounding-error D&D is to WotC/Hasbro is that in Hasbro's game division, Jenga makes more than D&D y-o-y.

Like, not Hasbro's entire retail game division (Monopoly and Risk, etc), but just Jenga is a bigger moneymaker than all of D&D

Yo, is that true? I did a cursory google search and couldn't find anything one way or the other.

It certainly sounds believable. My household goes through at least two Jenga towers a week.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Jenga towers $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Buy more D&D.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

no

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Magnetic North posted:

Yo, is that true? I did a cursory google search and couldn't find anything one way or the other.

It certainly sounds believable. My household goes through at least two Jenga towers a week.
I don't think it is actually true - Hasbro Gaming made $137M in Q2 2020, thanks in part to growth in Jenga (but also Mouse Trap, Connect4, and Twister, and presumably other things that weren't growing). For comparison, D&D was estimated to earn ~$100-150M in 2021. So basically D&D makes ~25% of all Hasbro's games put together, and I doubt Jenga does.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Cycloneman posted:

I don't think it is actually true - Hasbro Gaming made $137M in Q2 2020, thanks in part to growth in Jenga (but also Mouse Trap, Connect4, and Twister, and presumably other things that weren't growing). For comparison, D&D was estimated to earn ~$100-150M in 2021. So basically D&D makes ~25% of all Hasbro's games put together, and I doubt Jenga does.
Hasbro's earning reports are all public and Wizards plus digital gameing overall only makes about 20% of their income on any given quarter, and that includes Mtg both paper and arena each of which make more than D&D on there own. If D&D as a brand is making a quarter of WotC's money it's in non-Wizards tie in merch.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

Hasbro's earning reports are all public and Wizards plus digital gameing overall only makes about 20% of their income on any given quarter, and that includes Mtg both paper and arena each of which make more than D&D on there own. If D&D as a brand is making a quarter of WotC's money it's in non-Wizards tie in merch.

WotC makes ~20% of their revenue, but it’s significantly more profitable - the WotC segment is responsible for ~43% of Hasbro’s operating profit on that 20% of revenue.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

when discussing whether companies or their divisions are "making money," keep in mind that Amazon pulls in billions in USD every year in revenue but has posted negative income several years, even recently. When you see gaudy numbers for video games and Hasbro and such, they are usually revenue numbers.

also, you often don't have to guess at performance or rely on third-hand information: publicly-traded companies have to release regular financial statements, so look for "quarterly reports" or similar. The internet spaces where C-suite types go on the record (to market to investors) are one place where they're more likely to disclose anecdotes about Jenga and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Don't forget that big companies like amazon get huge tax breaks and manipulate their earnings to minmax their tax returns and the like